Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    @Fleezus,

There is a big battle against health care providers and how they jack up costs to all of us. Maybe you aren't aware of this but should be. It has been covered widely by media.

Yes, I have an agenda, and that is to help lower this cost by making health care and ER services more transparent and giving us greater control of our costs. I've been immersed in this issue since last Labor Day when my wife got a rather small 2" laceration from an MTB fall and the hospital charged her $4,000+ for an hour there and 10 stitches. Insurance lowered it a bit to $2,600 but still outrageous.

Also, no one there will tell you prices and you get separately billed by the doctor. The cost in a doctors office would have been about $200.

There was a time when we could easily pay for a trip to an ER for such small issues. It is the health care industry that is gaming the system and investigations by Time, New York Times, etc. have plenty of evidence we can use to fight back.

MTBer's are being screwed by the health care industry. We need to act. My plan is coming soon and will be announced on these forums.

Jim

PS: bigboulder's comment below is so stupid. Sorry bigboulder, I don't write for below 10th grade level.

mtbr member
    I actually thought BigBoulder was poking fun at me more than you.

mtbr member

Rider Heli-vac out of Clementine, Auburn SRA

Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    I've been immersed in this issue since last Labor Day when my wife got a rather small 2" laceration from an MTB fall and the hospital charged her $4,000+ for an hour there and 10 stitches. Insurance lowered it a bit to $2,600 but still outrageous.

Also, no one there will tell you prices and you get separately billed by the doctor. The cost in a doctors office would have been about $200.
    Well, that's what you get for going into the ER for non life threatening injury.

Last year on July 4th, my wife made the rookie mistake of standing too close to our clay pigeon thrower as she operated it. The result was a three inch long cut to her lower leg. We have an HSA so we use Doc-in-a-Box places for most of our medical needs. They had her stitched up and a tetanus shot in less than 45 minutes and less than $300.

There is a time and a place for things. Your anti-health care rant is just not necessary to this thread. I am looking forward to seeing what you have coming up, just find an appropriate place for it.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    AboutQUOTE=Brewtality;11277959]Well, that's what you get for going into the ER for non life threatening injury.

Last year on July 4th, my wife made the rookie mistake of standing too close to our clay pigeothrower as she operated it. The result was a three inch long cut to her lower leg. We have an HSA so we use Doc-in-a-Box places for most of our medical needs. They had her stitched up and a tetanus shot in less than 45 minutes and less than $300.

There is a time and a place for things. Your anti-health care rant is just not necessary to this thread. I am looking forward to seeing what you have coming up, just find an appropriate place for it.[/QUOTE]

Everything Brew said except the part about looking forward to the next post

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    MTBer's are being screwed by the health care industry. We need to act. My plan is coming soon and will be announced on these forums.

Jim

PS: bigboulder's comment below is so stupid. Sorry bigboulder, I don't write for below 10th grade level.
    Wow, I never realized that there was a conspiracy by the health care industry against mountain bikers. Well that is it, I am switching to road bikes.

Cary

P.S. When insulting a person by claiming that you "don't write for below 10th grade level", it is always wise to make sure that your grammar and editing are performed at higher than a 10th grade level.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post

The CHP helo was going to be in the air on patrol anyways. I would venture in this case the only charge the ride is going to get is a bill from AMR Ambulance and the Hospital. Your tax dollars paid for the public entities.

That's the key thing. The CHP was going to burn that AV gas and pay those three guys no matter what happened. Better them rescuing MTB'ers than extorting drivers coming down 80 past Dry Creek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    From what I heard from someone at hospital is that this guy could not get up after a fall. Called 911 from phone and had to be found. No other details but sounded really bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2