bike buster

Rider Down (?) First Divide 9/30/2012

I came around a corner on the upper part of First Divide this afternoon (approx 1645) and came upon a bunch (maybe eight) of bikes leaned against the rocks to the left of the trail. Went around the next corner and came upon the group of riders as well as another set of bikes and riders. There were also two or three rescue workers with radios. They were all standing there on both sides of the trail, mostly looking over the edge. I'm pretty sure someone said that a rider had gone over. I for sure heard one of the rescue workers mention getting a transport. I walked through the at the request of one of the rescue workers and came upon an ambulance parked on the trail within the next quarter mile. Some red and white, fat tired dirt bike thing was heading up the trail as well...

The whole scene had an eerie feel to it. No one appeared to be scrambling or in a rush to get the rider back up on to the trail. Just thought I'd put this up to see if anyone had any more info. There was also a group of three or four emergency vehicles parked where the trail hits the fire road and diamond link fence..

Best wishes to the rider and friends involved. There was a large group. Hope everyone made it home or at least into the right helping hands.
    Last edited by jdubsl2; 09-30-2012 at 10:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Heard a guy rode off the edge and had to be flown out.

aka dan51
    This is the first year I have ever stopped and looked over the edge. It's a looooong way down in some spots.

Hope the rider comes out OK.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Totally, and to the max.
    Yep, there are several sketchy spots on first divide where the slightest wrong move would send you right over the edge. Lots of shale and rock outcroppings that could make that happen. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often with the amount of noobs that ride there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The down rider was with a friend of mine. He went off the cliff and they went down to help him. It was initially hard for them to locate him according to him. He was hurt and had to be lifted out by a Helo. I saw a video of rescue in his FB page. Last I heard that he is ok.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rikk View Post
    Last I heard that he is ok.
    that's good to know.