mtbr member

"Ride" up Pleasanton Ridge

Shuttle to drive hikers atop Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park - San Jose Mercury News

Jeez, like dodging those cows and their insides wasn't difficult enough :-)

mtbr member
    It's a maximum of 24 people spread over 3 hours. I'd say you probably won't even notice a difference, but parts of that park are so unused that it's a little shocking when you see anybody at all up there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
    It's a maximum of 24 people spread over 3 hours. I'd say you probably won't even notice a difference, but parts of that park are so unused that it's a little shocking when you see anybody at all up there.
    I've only been there once recently and we only had time to ride part of it. Once we got past the main climb, it thinned out significantly. If we would have had time to keep going, I'm sure we would have only seen cows.

I'm all for using the parks, but it someone had said "Hey, lets put our bike on there" the idea would have been shot down in a second as unsafe.

I'm not a fan of shuttling, but I'm sure there are some people who would like to see the views that cannot get up there.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How are the trails there ? I am looking at trying them out this summer.

Are all the trails open to bikes?

Any route recommendations ?

mtbr member
    There's a lot of trails up there but none of them are spectacular. I ride Pleasanton Ridge semi-regularly because it's close to my office, not because it's one of my favorite spots.

This is in the process of changing, but the official singletrack is mostly off limits to bikes. There's a couple sanctioned singletrack trails for bikes, but they're relatively short. Bikes are limited to the fire roads. There are some not-so-official trails up there too and they are well-used, but they're technically off limits to everyone except the cows.

It's a good place to get a workout. Once you're past the first couple miles, you'll hardly see anybody else up there. Actually, here's how remote it is- I'm 5th on one of the Strava segments which means no one rides there because I'm usually lucky to be on the 5th page.

I think the park has a lot of potential to be a really fun spot to ride, and it seems like there are people working to make that happen. But it's not there yet.

As for a route- I usually take the trails on the west side of the park to Sinbad Creek and then do some of the loops up there.
    Last edited by hairylegs; 04-17-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: clarity

mtbr member
    Here's a the thread that describes what's being done this weekend to the park to create some more goodness: Pleasanton Ridge Gets TLC From V-O-Cal and BTCEB April 20.

Paper or plastic?
    The ridge beyond the Sinbad creek (Tyler Ranch) is where all the good legal stuff is slated to happen. Unfortunately, it'll be years before all the regulatory hurdles will clear and trails are built.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Back in the day we would just pre-ride the new not yet developed areas. That is exactly what we did with Pleasanton Ridge. And since it was 'patrolled' (read almost never) by someone out of Sunol Regional, which was run by a gentlemen named Dan R. and the officers responsible for responding to any issues were run by a Sergeant H. who went by call sign S7 on a publicly available frequency.....well you get the idea. But I'm not advocating poaching. Just thought folks might like to hear some of the history of Pleasanton Ridge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
    I rode there for the first time this past weekend. Almost nobody on single track, the hikers were all on the fire roads. And also observed a helicopter continuously buzzing overhead. Waste of resources if you ask me. The money spent shuttling people who aren't fit enough to be there in the first place and air patrols to stop the only people using certain sections should be spent in better ways.