Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH

Good job! The return of Giant Salamander!

haven't seen any other posts on this big news - but Giant Salamander is now open.

rode there yesterday - my loop has always taken me up the GS. However, after riding my 'usual' loop on the new GS, I'm going to work out a course which takes me down the salamander ... there are some very nice sections of the new trail, it's very do-able, no dabs on my first attempt at it yesterday.

thanks to all who gave their time to this - great job!

mtbr member
    Where is this at?

EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobman
    Where is this at?
    D'oh!
    sorry - Skegg's, aka El Corte de Madera SP aka ECDM

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That used to be among the best downhills at skeggs. i'm hoping they didn't sanitize it too much. i'll have to check it out this week if the rain stops.

EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
    Quote Originally Posted by madzane
    That used to be among the best downhills at skeggs. i'm hoping they didn't sanitize it too much. i'll have to check it out this week if the rain stops.
    you may be disappointed - it is quite a bit tamer ... I have always climbed it - was the toughest climb out there, would clean it about 50%; now it's still a decent climb, just not a lung buster anymore. I think the downhill side is a cool coaster, though certainly not as steep as the original.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feetsnofail
    haven't seen any other posts on this big news - but Giant Salamander is now open.
    That is so good to know. One of my favorite ride in the Bay Area.

Cheers.

Fireball in the Night
    Skeggs ride Friday 1:00pm
    2:40 - 3:12 ride time for various loops. Choose yer poison.
    Weather Schmetherrr
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madzane
    The lower section has not been touched - the upper part is sanitized quite a bit, all the rutted steep sections are taken out (think Crosscut); not too hard to clean anymore uphill. Descending it is still fun but don't expect a lot of challenge. I guess that's definitely better than seeing it closed though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good to know its open, I thought it was closed for good. Sucks they changed it so much, but again it's nice to know it is open. It is a vital section to a few loops there that I enjoy, but have had to bypass.

Fireball in the Night

Ride On

Here's the OpenSpace conditions online
    The Giant Salamander Trail is OPEN to all use!!!

The North Leaf and South Leaf Trails are OPEN to bikes and horses.

seasonal trail closures may change from day to day without notice

Last updated on: 4/27/2007

We need more wax
    Rode the new version yesterday. The start of the new section is quite a ways below the old start. Thus, there isn't nearly as much elevation loss of the trail. The bad part is there is much more elevation loss on the Timberview fireroad. The new section reminds me of the new section of Blue Blossom, but with a lower flow/fun factor. There are lots of water bars/rolling dips. They aren't postioned very well for launching off of. Some of them are pretty close together and many have gravel. I think they are an accident waiting to happen. I give the trail a C grade. I guess the best things you can say is that is it FINALLY open and it will be much easier riding the up direction now.
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King

Fireball in the Night
    Maybe too much slick going on there Friday after that shower Thursday.

Anyone up for it? Alternate ride?

chk-chk-boom
    Quote Originally Posted by justbob
    Rode the new version yesterday. The start of the new section is quite a ways below the old start. Thus, there isn't nearly as much elevation loss of the trail. The bad part is there is much more elevation loss on the Timberview fireroad. The new section reminds me of the new section of Blue Blossom, but with a lower flow/fun factor. There are lots of water bars/rolling dips. They aren't postioned very well for launching off of. Some of them are pretty close together and many have gravel. I think they are an accident waiting to happen. I give the trail a C grade. I guess the best things you can say is that is it FINALLY open and it will be much easier riding the up direction now.
    I thought it was just like BB also. Fun, but not "whoopee!" fun. Actually somewhat challenging because you cant just let it all hang out. More like an East Coast or PNW trail. Some of the corners are narrow and flat, with the conscequence of falling down the cliff if you come in too fast. The whoops were funky. If you were to try to air it out off of one, you could be sent well off the trail down the hillside.

Its better than just shooting and skidding down a rutted out gulley(old trail). That gets boring for me, its not much of a challenge.
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Giant Salamander

Rode down Giant Salamander yesterday. While the "new" trail is not particularly technical it was generally fun and fast.

Feetsnofail - This is the route I took to set up a "down" on Giant Salamander

Skeggs-- Fir --Sierra Morena (pts 1 and 2) -- Gordon Mill -- Exit gate CM04 -- Bear Gulch Rd.-- Enter Gate CM05-- Springboard -- Connector to Lawrence Creek -- Lawrence Creek - Blue Blossom -- Springboard -- Gordon Mill -- Crossover/Crosscut -- Timberview -- Giant Salamander -- Methulselah -- Fir - Skeggs.

EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
    Quote Originally Posted by macleodofskye
    Rode down Giant Salamander yesterday. While the "new" trail is not particularly technical it was generally fun and fast.

Feetsnofail - This is the route I took to set up a "down" on Giant Salamander

Skeggs-- Fir --Sierra Morena (pts 1 and 2) -- Gordon Mill -- Exit gate CM04 -- Bear Gulch Rd.-- Enter Gate CM05-- Springboard -- Connector to Lawrence Creek -- Lawrence Creek - Blue Blossom -- Springboard -- Gordon Mill -- Crossover/Crosscut -- Timberview -- Giant Salamander -- Methulselah -- Fir - Skeggs.
    cool - how's the climb on Crossover/Crosscut and Fir? i tried a similar loop but climbed Gordon Mill to Giant Salamander (brutal, not recommended) and then climbed Fir to ride down Resolution (even worse - all hike a bike), then up to the top on the ECDM trail which was easy ...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Crossover/Crosscut is a short climb....but there are a few steep bits/switchbacks. Very doable.

I climbed Methusaleh from the intersection with Giant Salamander to where it meets up with Fir/Manzanita. Long basic climb. You are basically at the top once you get to that part of the Fir Trail. If you still have energy at that point you can head downhill on Fir to Resolution and then return to Skeggs via El Corte de Madera Creek Trail.

Yeah - I don't recommend climbing up the lower part of the Fir Trail to Resolution - that is definitely hike-a-bike.

EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
    perfect! thanks for the info - my next Skegg's ride will be your loop including the extension down Resolution and up ECDM ->out

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rode GST on Saturday

It's a whole new trail. I'm used to riding GST in the downhill direction, though I've done it uphill a few times.

The reroute took out a good deal of elevation. The trailhead now starts out much lower on the mtn. Instead of dropping into a steep, fast, somewhat technical trail, it's now more of an XC cruiser. It's fun in its own respects, but it's an entirely different thing now. Almost all of the reroute is essentially flat. It's got some nice redwood forest to go through, some quick up and downs, and such, but little/none of the downhill fun of the former trail.

If you hadn't experienced the old GST, you'll probably like it. If you're expecting anything like the old GST, you might end up cursing it, as my friend did.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

new and improved

No good Giant Gerrymander Trail

And I do mean that in the most pejorative way possible. In this case, MROSD has redrawn the lines of the old GST to simply make it less fun.

I don't believe that GGT won't be subject to the same erosive forces as GST, which MROSD's catch-all, unimpeachable, frequently cited reason for closing or neutering trails. "Save the salmon"... Please, in a preserve that was clear cut several times over from 1850-1980s, *now* it's the great evil of mountain bikers that are damning the environment?! Particularly the oddly-placed water-barry part of the new alignment between the second bridge and the meadow is still steep enough to get dusty and flake away into the creek. Once again it appears that MROSD has used "the MTB folks seem to be having fun on the trail" a the central metric for altering a trail such that you can now rollerblade down it. I'm surprised they didn't put a Starbuck's hut in.

I'm sorry to be a big negatron here, but GGT has *none* of the fun parts of old GST, in either direction. The most charitable description I can give the new trail is that it is a useful connector trail between Manzanita and the leafs, having falling precipitously from its previous position as one of the three best descents at Skeggs. The descent is now a joke, as is the climb. I'll see if I can nose-wheelie down the whole thing by the end of the summer.

Sorry for the rant, but seriously, what we have a bunch of schmucks managing these open spaces. Shame.

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Totally disagree. The old GST was merely steep and rutted, but to me, not that enjoyable or frankly, that technical. I love technical trails as much as the next guy, but the old GS wasn't the end-all, be-all that many seem to be making it out to be. I like the new trail because it is different than many of the trails at Skeggs and tests different skills. While many of the rollers are indeed too tightly spaced for launching, they do provide a really excellent test (at speed) of one's ability to quickly adjust and absorb. Most trails at Skeggs don't test that, IMO.

mtbr member
    Rode it today, going up. The lower section is fine- not as good (read: fun) as it used to be, but definitely more sustainable in terms of erosion. Seems like the upper section -which is now a perfectly smooth, 4 foot wide path bypassing the only rocks and roots on the original trail- was where the powers that be decided to castrate a salamander.

Hoodoo Voodoo?
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El Santo
    And I do mean that in the most pejorative way possible. In this case, MROSD has redrawn the lines of the old GST to simply make it less fun.

I don't believe that GGT won't be subject to the same erosive forces as GST, which MROSD's catch-all, unimpeachable, frequently cited reason for closing or neutering trails. "Save the salmon"... Please, in a preserve that was clear cut several times over from 1850-1980s, *now* it's the great evil of mountain bikers that are damning the environment?! Particularly the oddly-placed water-barry part of the new alignment between the second bridge and the meadow is still steep enough to get dusty and flake away into the creek. Once again it appears that MROSD has used "the MTB folks seem to be having fun on the trail" a the central metric for altering a trail such that you can now rollerblade down it. I'm surprised they didn't put a Starbuck's hut in.

I'm sorry to be a big negatron here, but GGT has *none* of the fun parts of old GST, in either direction. The most charitable description I can give the new trail is that it is a useful connector trail between Manzanita and the leafs, having falling precipitously from its previous position as one of the three best descents at Skeggs. The descent is now a joke, as is the climb. I'll see if I can nose-wheelie down the whole thing by the end of the summer.

Sorry for the rant, but seriously, what we have a bunch of schmucks managing these open spaces. Shame.
    As an occasional motorcycle dirt bike rider who has seen many of our riding areas disappear you should be more gracious. "Shmucks", very harsh dude, shame is right. Do you have any idea just how quickly these "schmucks" could take Skeggs away from us if they so desired.
    Ride hard or ride home alone

mtbr member
    Another great trail gone bad, very bummed after riding this today.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Hammerhead
    As an occasional motorcycle dirt bike rider who has seen many of our riding areas disappear you should be more gracious. "Shmucks", very harsh dude, shame is right. Do you have any idea just how quickly these "schmucks" could take Skeggs away from us if they so desired.
    Well which is it? Shmucks or Schmucks?

Rode it today going down, felt like I rode Resolution twice.

Devil Mtn
    I have to weigh in on the side that the old GST was just steep and rutted ... not particularly technical or interesting. I'd rarely bother to go down it before, but definitely looked forward to testing my skills and fitness riding up it. Sounds like it might be more fun to go down it now from what's been described here ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast