mtbr member

Relocating to Auberry. Bring Fatbike?

I am going to be relocating from Pennsylvania to the Auberry/ Clovis area of CA in the next month. A fatbike is one in my stable of bikes. I currently use it for wet trails and winter snowy riding. Any insight if there is a reason to bring this bike to CA, or should I sell it here. I have a full stable of other bikes so there would need to be a benefit of keeping the fatbike. Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    sell it. buy some xc skis instead for the snow.

mtbr member
    Might as well bring it. There are huge mountains just to your east and lots of the cool mt bike trails get covered in snow and mud during the winter (although not that much lately). But you will have plenty of places to ride it. One of the guys that works here just got one and he rides up around the several lakes we have nearby. He keeps telling me how much fun they are so I will probably build one soon.
    Jake
    Project321
    877-584-7321
    http://www.project321.com/

mtbr member
    Well there is snow to ride on and I guess some sand at the lakes. But the snow is funner to ski, snowboard or snowmobile on (imo) and there is dirt available year round which does not favor/require a fat bike. I live off Auberry road so we might be neighbors, welcome to the foothills.

mtbr member
    Unless you're gungho about riding the mtb in the snow it won't be as necessary as it would be for someone living up by Huntington Lake.

Since we're talking about moving to Auberry...I'm also heading up to the foothills near Millerton Lake. Looking forward to meeting new people to ride mountain bikes, snowboard (lifts and backcountry), and dirt bike with. I'm really looking forward to riding my plated ktm out of my garage and right into the forest for some after work therapy.

Are there any groups that do weekly night rides in the area?

mtbr member
    I'll also add.. Is there any rides close to clovis that are possible to do after work on a week night?

mtbr member
    Depending on your heat tolerance combined with time of year and when you get off work yes. If you want to ride close to Clovis from about June until september you either embrace the early morning or build your heat tolerance in the afternoon. Everything local that's legal in the day is also legal in the night.

mtbr member
    Anything you'd recommend that's local?

Recreational Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro View Post
    Anything you'd recommend that's local?
    You will likely ride in the squaw leap area. A race called Big Sandy is held there in the Spring. I hear it is a fun course.

I've ridden some of the Jeep Trails around Shaver Lake. Lots of potential for exploration. I do not know of any mountain bike specific single track up there other than the bike park at China Peak.

This area is off the radar from this forum because most people here are from the bay area. There are a LOT of hidden gems up there and it is way less traveled than Tahoe. Some spots to check out (not sure about mt biking): Mammoth Hot Spring, Dinky Lakes, and Wishon. Also, you are not far away from Bass Lake. There is a trail called 007 that is supposed to be a fun DHish trail.

This is the Big Sandy pro loop:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...ba1&dg=feature

enjoying the scenery
    Talk to these folks - Central California Off-Road Cyclists

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ccorc/

They are more active on the Facebook these days.
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

mtbr member
    The blue oak trail in Millerton lake state park , is short, flat and fun. Entering the San Joaquin River trail from either Finegold bay or the gate on wellbarn road will offer longer harder options. It takes another 1/2 hr of driving to get to San Joaquin River Gorge/Squaw Leap. The trail from Wellbarn to Squaw Leap is brutally hot on a summer afternoon, the trail down stream from wellbarn or upstream from finegold are a little cooler but still quite warm.
    Some good riding around shaver and the jeep trails are ok. Most of the best high altitude single track in the hwy 168 area is in one of the wilderness areas and as such is "legal" only before memorial day or after labor day (watch out during deer season). Dusy Ershim jeep trail is good if you get on it before they open the gate (usually near july 1st).
    Bass lake and Sequoia National Forest have more legal single track, but are too far to drive for after work riding for most people.

loopy counter
    This year a fat bike would be good on the sandy shorelines of many of the near by lakes.