Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Redding trail conditions?

950 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Bent Wheel 
#1 ·
Going to be heading down I-5 from OR to San diego early next week (likely Tues). Is anything in Redding area rideable? I have heard of Whiskeytown and have some maps printed, but never having ridden there I have no idea what the soil is like after a wet few weeks or if it would be snowed in right now. Any info or suggestions appreciated! I have my freeride bike with me but it climbs fine, so I am good with any trails. I flipped a coin last year and rode Bidwell in Chico, it was ok. I typically prefer a long climb to a long descent but rolling terrain is good too. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
If it doesn't rain between now and then it should be muddy but still fun. I would suggest Whiskeytown, it has the best trails close to town.

I'll copy a suggested route from another Redding local: Ride up brandy creek road all the way up to where it turns to singletrack and continue to climb for about a half mile or so until there is a left turn. This is the "Chimney" trail (Its called the "Rich Gulch Trail" on the map iirc). Climb up then descend Chimney which ends back on brandy creek road.

If you are up for more head down the road/trail (the trail has little sections off of the road) until you come to Sheep Camp. From there head up the Papoose Pass trail, you can either go out and back or make a loop to boulder creek trail then the road.

#3 ·
Very few of the trails get muddy, even when very wet. The forecast calls for no rain between now and then so things should be excellent, actually. Send a note about what you are looking for and I will make some suggestions with links to maps. And enjoy while you are here. This is a great time and place to be an MTBr.

#4 ·
Swasey Rec, area. Jumps, drops, climbing, rough decents, smooth decents, we have it all. Your FR bike will do just fine around here. Hit me up when you get into town, My buddy & I will show you around. Hey Fiskare, come join us, but you have to wear your helmet, lol.

#5 ·
A tour would be awesome and much appreciated! Beats fumbling around on my own any day. Looks like tues will be the day ill be there. If that works let me know a time and place to meet. I will pm you my contact info in case i cant get web access.

Thanks to all for the replies!
Evan

#6 ·
'Helmet, we don't need no stinking helmet!'

Family time, I'm fat and slow, I'm lazy, I'll be hungover....take your pick.

But thanks for the invite Skip, another time.

I spent some time in the dirt today Conditions are next to perfect. Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.