mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?

Going to check out Red House Flume and Sunflower Hill trail this weekend... what's the best direction? Looking on Strava and the like, seems like people go both directions.

Coming from Tahoe Meadows, should we go straight to Red House Flume, or should we do the TRT climb to Marlette Peak and then to Sunflower Hill?
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member

Red House Flume Trail

"Coming from Tahoe Meadows, should we go straight to Red House Flume" - I remember the descent down to the Red House Flume was VERY loose, deep sand-ish dirt. When I got to the bottom and thought I would hate to climb back up that way.

Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-red-house-flume-004-xl.jpg

Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-red-house-flume-010-l.jpg

mtbr dismember

Down Redhouse, up TRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    Going to check out Red House Flume and Sunflower Hill trail this weekend... what's the best direction? ...
    Down Redhouse is quite nice right now. Go up new Sunflower Singletrack (gradual climb) to above Marlette Lake, then go north on the TRT (gradual climb, then nice downhill on the other side).

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisonDesign View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red-house-flume-004-XL.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	901432
    If you reach the dam shown above then you did not go all the way down Redhouse. You missed the turn to Redhouse, which is quite obvious.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I thought I saw a Red House. Looked more like a red out house.

I actually did not go up Sun Flower Hill but went by Hobarts Lake and out Snow Valley (?)

Here is my route,

Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-redhouse.bmp-l.jpg

mtbr dismember

Redhouse

Redhouse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks Wherewolf and Denison, down Red Flume and up Sunflower it is. I've never ridden Red Flume either, so I'm looking forward to seeing the house. Might tool around a bit futher on some of the other flume trails.

We'll finish up either on Chimney or head back to Tahoe Meadows and drop Tyrolean.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisonDesign View Post
    went by Hobarts Lake and out Snow Valley (?)
    I went out that way once... I remember it being kind of a high-altitude moonscape in a way, very cool terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    If you reach the dam shown above then you did not go all the way down Redhouse. You missed the turn to Redhouse, which is quite obvious.
    Okay but it seems a short distance after the dam I could go left to the outer flume or right to Marlette lake road. I went right, should I have gone left to see the Red House?

mtbr member
    Wherewolf sums this up pretty good. It ultimately depends on how far you want to ride. Couple ideas:

Tahoe Meadows, Red House, Up Sunflower, North on TRT back to Tunnel Creek above Redhouse where you were earlier. Then, ride back towards Tahoe Meadows and drop Tyrolean. Or drop Tunnel down the west side and take the Flume to Chimney Beach or points beyond.

That said, Melinder and I just rode Tahoe Meadows a couple days ago, over Marlette, down Sunflower, back up to the TRT and then back towards Tahoe Meadows to drop the Tyrolean. This misses the excellent northbound drop on the TRT off Marlette and the climb back to the TRT from Red House is steep and loose, but just not that big of a deal. It's short. The southbound climb up Marlette is fun too. So really either way, though I'd give the nod to the clockwise route Wherewolf suggests.

Be sure to make the side trip to the actual Red House's, including the cool old '28 Packard, and the side trip to Hobart. You'll miss some of this if you aren't paying attention.

TRT
    Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-dsc01089-1.jpg

Red House
    Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-dsc01075-2.jpg

Hobart History
    Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-dsc01068-2.jpg

It's Good to Love Your Work...
    Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-dsc01072-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    excellent northbound drop on the TRT off Marlette
    And that's really what I'm looking forward to... I've climbed this section of the TRT, heading up to Marlette Overlook, but never had the chance to descend it. Looks so twisty and fun.

mtbr member
    Denison,

Yes you needed to turn left and drop down the hill a short ways to see the Red House. I think the history and the old Packard are worth a visit. Then make the side trip to Hobart Lake to see the tree carvings along the way and the lake itself. You also missed the fantastic trip over Marlette which you should do next time. As has been stated here, the northside descent is great, but you did a fun route too.

Ronski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I went out that way once... I remember it being kind of a high-altitude moonscape in a way, very cool terrain.
    Yes, moonscape! I pushed up over this odd looking terraced area. Curious what it was for...maybe some kind of snow control experiment.

Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-red-house-flume-006-l.jpg

Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-red-house-flume-008-l.jpg

mtbr member
    I've wondered what that was all about also ^^^ kinda strange in a crop circle kinda of way
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Subscribed as I've wondered what those are for as well....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    Subscribed as I've wondered what those are for as well....
    Well, I've spent some good time googling today trying to figure it out, but haven't come up with anything solid. There's a reference to them being "avalanche control mounds" that exist in the Carson Range... but I can't find any reference to any such mounds anywhere.

mtbr member
    Google Earth

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red House Flume / Sunflower Hill Trail - Which Direction?-crop-circles.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I thought for sure someone would have posted a comment in Panoramio or similar on GE, but nothing of substance.

Therefore it can only be:

mtbr member
    I asked Max over at the Flume bikes, he said the following: I am pretty sure they are to prevent erosion as all the trees were cut in the comstock era. Not sure how recently they were done though. There are similar ones just above carson that were put in in the 60s.