Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    new and improved

... and if we just ... Recovered Ibis Mojo HD! Holy Crap!

It’s been an interesting 72 hours. You might want to get some popcorn.

So, for those of you who didn’t see the original MTBR post (which was pulled - edit: it's back up), I am the lucky owner of one of two extant large nude-colored Ibis Mojo HDs in the US (Brian Lopes owns the other one). I got the bike from Avi at Wrench Science in Berkeley, who graciously tolerated my 10,000 email queries, dialed the bike in and set me up extremely well. It’s the first bike I have been able to afford to buy in five years, a present to myself for getting a real job after being in postgraduate limbo for far too long. Biology is fun but academia doesn’t pay well.

I had the bike for eight days and had planned to go for my third ride on it after work on Thursday (the first two were amazing. I won’t review the bike here, but it’s freakishly light, and very fast and stiff in the chunk). The bike was locked with a Kryptonite to my roof rack at work, parked around the back of the Agilent campus in Santa Clara where there are patrolling security guards, a gazillion security cameras, plus the bike was in plain sight of everyone working in my building.

I came out of the door and looked open-mouthed at my car. My bike was gone. Slowly walking to my car, a sinking sensation in my chest, the lock is cut. Pure rage and helplessness. I go to security and tell them what happened, get in my car and drive home. I’ve had bikes stolen before, but this one really hurt. It’s not one of the great tragedies in life, but it’s also not nothing. I got home, drank a few beers, and posted on MTBR in a thread already started by tburger. I didn’t sleep much. I stayed awake breaking the thief’s jaw over and over again in my mind.

The next day I started to comb through craigslist at work, hoping in the off chance that the thief was supremely dumb. I didn’t find anything there, but then I searched on Google, which apparently archives CL pretty quickly, and found a post from Thursday night on CL – when following the link to CL I was led to a page that informed me it had been pulled. I posted the screencap to the MTBR stolen HD thread, and one of the other MTBR people (I forgot who, but thank you - edit: it was tgoff - thank you!) performed a superior Google search to my own, and came up with a similar post, but this one included the thief’s phone number.

Unreal.

Apparently, this is no Lex Luther. This kid is close to meeting the clinical definition of a moron.

I had already been in touch with the police, who were working on the best way to contact the thief and to recover the bike. In parallel, Stumpy Steve (who is now on my speed dial as “Steve Awesome”) whom I have never met, decided to make a call to the thief out of his own sense of indignant rage at bike thieves. Amazingly, the thief, whose name is Josh Scarbrough, was talked into taking cold hard cash for the bike at a meeting that was to happen last night. Steve got in touch with me through placing a call to Wrench Science, who then called me. I won’t give all the details of how this all went down because Steve will tell it much better than I ever could. Steve is smooth to the extent that he might actually be a superhero, whose superpower is smoothness.

To make a long story only slightly shorter, an undercover officer posing as Steve showed up at Josh’s house last night, and Josh – staggeringly brilliant Josh - rolls out of the house with my bike. The policeman informs Josh that he is a policeman and says that he has reason to believe the bike is stolen. He flips it over to look at the serial number but can’t find it. Because of this, Josh isn’t arrested on the spot, but the policeman takes the bike into holding.

After talking with Scot and Hans at Ibis this morning, it turns out that the serial # on the HD is located below the plastic rock guard that fits on the downtube. The policeman was able to remove the rock guard and found that the serial matched perfectly. Currently, Josh is on the lam. Given his amazing decision-making skills, I think we should have a pool on how long it takes for this kid to get picked up, maybe for trying to siphon gas out of a police car.

Anyways, I went down to the Santa Clara Police station this afternoon and got my bike back!

The only thing missing were my pedals, which had been replaced with a pair of these really awesome pedals:

Apparently, Josh didn’t like my Crank Bros. I think I’ll give these fine Wellgo flats to whoever guesses closest in the “Josh Scarbrough is on the lam” contest. Bonus! They have reflectors, which will keep you saferer on night rides in the Saratoga hills by the reservoir...

I am deeply indebted to Steve and to the larger Bay Area MTBR community – without your help there is no way I would have been able to recover my bike. That people were willing to help out someone that they have never met says a lot about the character of mountain bikers. The world is definitely better with you in it. Of course, I am also indebted to Officer Dave Albert of the SCPD, who did an amazing job.

And if you see an ugly-assed dude with a salt-and-pepper goatee riding a large nude HD somewhere between Santa Cruz and Fairfax, he didn’t steal it.

Thank you.

Best,
    Gus
    Last edited by El Santo; 09-19-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Dropshot Champ!
    hell yeah man, that is freaking awesome. I bet you can't stop smiling!

GREAT job steve.

swag ho Administrator
    Nice Gus!!!!

I was at the Giants game last night and got the call from Kev1n to pull the post down since the phone number was there. I took it down with my Iphone!!! Then Gregg took the whole thread down just to be safe.

I haven't seen Stumpy Steve in a while but hats off to him. I believe he had his bike stolen last year.

Unbelievable good fortune and great group here!

fc

p.s. I will resurrect the old thread now that the bike is retrieved.

mtbr member
    That's awesome! Great work Steve!

mtbr member
    Congrats on getting your bike back. Big props to MTBR community for pulling together helping out.

Glad this story had a happy ending. BTW...sexy ass bike there....

gimme friction
    Wow, now THAT'S a happy ending.

Big ups to all parties involved (especially Josh! the world loves an idiot!). Sometimes it's great seeing the karmic wheel turn.

Bet you'll really enjoy your ride this weekend...
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Knomer
    Dude! When are you gonna stop leaving your $5000 bikes in public!?! No wonder I haven't gotten any ride reports this week. Ugh.

What did Josh use to cut your lock? Did he cut the cable or the lock? Inquiring minds...

aka dan51
    WOW!!! That is effin fantastic!!!

Way to go Steve! Maybe Hans/Scot can cut you a deal for being such an awesome dude and get you a discount....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you got your bike back.
    Good Job Steve!

~~~
    Awesome! I was keeping my fingers crossed when I noticed the other thread disappeared. Kudos to Stumpy Steve and everyone who made an effort to do a little sleuthing.

Obi
    mtbr member
    Steve, amazing, absolutely amazing. May your kindness be well returned 10 fold.

Gus, IIRC Steve works at a local shop in Fremont, maybe buy a Fuggetabout-it and a NewYork Noose from them and bring along a 6 pack at the same time.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Congrats there. Is it possible to post the CL listing without the phone numbers? Where does this punk live (just regional and not exact address).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So did anything ever come out of the Agilent security cameras? Did they at least pull a license? I would have hoped that would have had some result..

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by El Santo
    Itís been an interesting 72 hours. You might want to get some popcorn.

So, for those of you who didnít see the original MTBR post (which was pulled), I am the lucky owner of one of two extant large nude-colored Ibis Mojo HDs in the US (Brian Lopes owns the other one). I got the bike from Avi at Wrench Science in Berkeley, who graciously tolerated my 10,000 email queries, dialed the bike in and set me up extremely well. Itís the first bike I have been able to afford to buy in five years, a present to myself for getting a real job after being in postgraduate limbo for far too long. Biology is fun but academia doesnít pay well.

I had the bike for eight days and had planned to go for my third ride on it after work on Thursday (the first two were amazing. I wonít review the bike here, but itís freakishly light, and very fast and stiff in the chunk). The bike was locked with a Kryptonite to my roof rack at work, parked around the back of the Agilent campus in Santa Clara where there are patrolling security guards, a gazillion security cameras, plus the bike was in plain sight of everyone working in my building.

I came out of the door and looked open-mouthed at my car. My bike was gone. Slowly walking to my car, a sinking sensation in my chest, the lock is cut. Pure rage and helplessness. I go to security and tell them what happened, get in my car and drive home. Iíve had bikes stolen before, but this one really hurt. Itís not one of the great tragedies in life, but itís also not nothing. I got home, drank a few beers, and posted on MTBR in a thread already started by a coworker. I didnít sleep much. I stayed awake breaking the thiefís jaw over and over again in my mind.

The next day I started to comb through craigslist at work, hoping in the off chance that the thief was supremely dumb. I didnít find anything there, but then I searched on Google, which apparently archives CL pretty quickly, and found a post from Thursday night on CL Ė when following the link to CL I was led to a page that informed me it had been pulled. I posted the screencap to the MTBR stolen HD thread, and one of the other MTBR people (I forgot who, but thank you) performed a superior Google search to my own, and came up with a similar post, but this one included the thiefís phone number.

Unreal.

Apparently, this is no Lex Luther. This kid is close to meeting the clinical definition of a moron.

I had already been in touch with the police, who were working on the best way to contact the thief and to recover the bike. In parallel, Stumpy Steve (who is now on my speed dial as ďSteve AwesomeĒ) whom I have never met, decided to make a call to the thief out of his own sense of indignant rage at bike thieves. Amazingly, the thief, whose name is Josh Scarbrough, was talked into taking cold hard cash for the bike at a meeting that was to happen last night. Steve got in touch with me through placing a call to Wrench Science, who then called me. I wonít give all the details of how this all went down because Steve will tell it much better than I ever could. Steve is smooth to the extent that he might actually be a superhero, whose superpower is smoothness.

To make a long story only slightly shorter, an undercover officer posing as Steve showed up at Joshís house last night, and Josh Ė staggeringly brilliant Josh - rolls out of the house with my bike. The policeman informs Josh that he is a policeman and says that he has reason to believe the bike is stolen. He flips it over to look at the serial number but canít find it. Because of this, Josh isnít arrested on the spot, but the policeman takes the bike into holding.

After talking with Scot and Hans at Ibis this morning, it turns out that the serial # on the HD is located below the plastic rock guard that fits on the downtube. The policeman was able to remove the rock guard and found that the serial matched perfectly. Currently, Josh is on the lam. Given his amazing decision-making skills, I think we should have a pool on how long it takes for this kid to get picked up, maybe for trying to siphon gas out of a police car.

Anyways, I went down to the Santa Clara Police station this afternoon and got my bike back!

The only thing missing were my pedals, which had been replaced with a pair of these really awesome pedals:

Apparently, Josh didnít like my Crank Bros. I think Iíll give these fine Wellgo flats to whoever guesses closest in the ďJosh Scarbrough is on the lamĒ contest. Bonus! They have reflectors, which will keep you saferer on night rides in the Saratoga hills by the reservoir...

I am deeply indebted to Steve and to the larger Bay Area MTBR community Ė without your help there is no way I would have been able to recover my bike. That people were willing to help out someone that they have never met says a lot about the character of mountain bikers. The world is definitely better with you in it. Of course, I am also indebted to Officer Dave Albert of the SCPD, who did an amazing job.

And if you see an ugly-assed dude with a salt-and-pepper goatee riding a large nude HD somewhere between Santa Cruz and Fairfax, he didnít steal it.

Thank you.

Best,
    Gus
    Holy freekin cow. That is great news.

Good job everybody!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Aaaaaaahhahahaha the pedals, that's hysterical. Good for you, happy ending.

Weird huh?
    Best thing I'll read all day.

Nice job to everyone involved
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Wow congratulations that is amazing! What a moron the thief is HA HA HA. don't leave that bike out of you site again.

horn doggie
    How did he cut the lock? I use my U-lock to secure my bikes to a receiver rack thinking it's pretty safe. Maybe I won't any longer if they can be cut.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Paper or plastic?
    Awesome. Steve is a stud. Did the officer get to punch Josh in the mouth?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

bicycle rider
    Congrats. This is a good lesson; Don't leave your bike locked where anyone can see it, bring it inside with you, maybe also lock it. Bikes on or in cars will get stolen. Ditto with; out in front of the bar, out in front of the restaurant, just there for a minute while you get some cofffee, etc.

Just saying.

Morgan, paranoid bike owner

mtbr member
    FYI - almost any lock can be cut QUICKLY. There's a site that sells moto locks (can't remember where) but they have vids showing how LITTLE time it takes to cut the best locks on the market. NEVER leave a bike visible, and the better bikes should be locked even at home. (they might not bring clippers to your house). I lived in NYC many years, where bikes were literally stolen out from under riders.

Glad you got your steed back. Power of MTBR.
    I like to bike.

It's the axle
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was relieved to see they took the thread down. It was like an advertisement for whomever took the bike.

The kid probably won't get arrested. But he'll at least be less willing to just take stuff.

As for the pedals, they'll probably attract mountain lions. Haha.

The bottom line is- we love Mojos!

Now ride it like YOU stole it. (I couldn't help myself)
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Surly OG
    Wow, Warm fuzzies dude....
    Earn your turns. )'(

Wēk SŰs
    I am very happy for you. That is awesome news! Mojos are such awesome bikes, it's really great to hear of a recovery intact.

I think you should buy the officer a six or twelve pack of some excellent exotic beer, and a dinner for Steve.

The kid will probably disappear for a bit, but will be back stealing. He'll likely get busted in a few years as he moves to armed robbery, or killed by stealing from the wrong people.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Great news. That's a beautiful bike. nice work google guy, policeman, and steve.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast