mtbr member

Recommended routes for Chimney Rock @ Downieville?

I did a few searches looking for more information - sounds like it's been a little torn up by motos in recent years. I'm still curious about it out though. Does anyone have any recommended routes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
    I did a few searches looking for more information - sounds like it's been a little torn up by motos in recent years. I'm still curious about it out though. Does anyone have any recommended routes?
    Head up lavazzola creek rd and up empire creek trail to chimney rock trail. Take a left on chimney all the way till singletrack ends. At that point turn left down rattlesnake (heinous steep loose jeep road that turns into to some rad single track( think a rough around the edges 2nd divide). Once rattlesnake turns to jeep road it will be 4 miles of rolling back to town. All in all it will be more road than single but if you don't mind pushing a bit and and a burly ride you'll like it. I always make it a point to go up there at least once a year. If you get to needle point the high point of chimney and you don't want anymore ( because there is alot more) turn around and bomb back down empire as you wont be disappointed with that either. To your other question yes motos are the primary user of these trails.I think this loop is around 26-28 miles 5k + in climbing, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I wouldn't go out of my way to ride it again. While there is some fun singletrack, there is a lot of fireroad.