Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Rangers passing out flyers today....

Two rangers were out at rincon parking lot this afternoon around 2:00 putting these flyers on windshields and giving them directly to anyone in the lot. I took a pic of it to post here but it ain't happening so I'll just quote what it says....

(the first part is in large, bold type w/ pic of ranger badge next to it)
    WARNING TO MOUNTAIN BIKERS

"The area of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park which lies between Highway Nine and UCSC has always been closed to bikes and dogs due to the sensitive habitat. The Ranger staff has not been enforcing the rule (CCR 4360) due to the lack of staffing. However, staffing is back up to levels whic will allow us to enforce the NO BIKE rules for this section of the park.

Starting Sunday, February 18, 2009, any bike entering or leaving he above listed section of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park may receive a citation for riding in an Area Closed To Bicycles (CCR 4360) and Destruction of Plants (CCR 4306). We are allowing a few weeks to adjust to the renewed enforcement and encourage you to use the designated trails of UCSC and Pogonip for your "Single Track" riding.

If this flyer is on our windshield, we have recorded your license plate as proof of notification."

Nice enough guys (just doing their job), but did find it kind of ironic that now that thier "staffing is back up to levels which will allow us to enforce the NO BIKE rules for this section of the park." Didn't I just see somewhere that the State is broke??

Scare tactics?? Gotta wonder too if the sheer # of trucks w/ trailers full of bikes shuttling these hills had anything to do w/ it (2 of them passed as we talked to the rangers).
    Could be a gold mine for the state if they do follow thru. Any thoughts???

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by rwdbkr
    Any thoughts???
    I'm about done with backwards state man.
    Idaho and Oregon are looking better and better the more I hear of this type of beaurocratic bs.
    Go do something constructive with the monies.

I would think the officers who've been on duty and never busted bikes should be stripped of their badge and brought up on contempt for allowing this to happen while on their watch.

Why the big need to start enforcing it now?

And "we recorded your plate for proof..." Give me a flyen break.....useless threats y a bully with a mock badge.

ok.....I just had a dumpy day riding and am in a foul mood....
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member

any tips on where the line is crossed?

I love riding the UCSC single-track either side of Chinquapin and up on towards Empire Grade. Have never known where a descent towards Hwy 9 becomes illegal... is it posted on the trails as you drop in from UCSC?

We've got all these issues of law and order, a civil society, and then, gee, haven't you got better regs to enforce?

Something must be driving enforcement, maybe citation revenues...? or, maybe the public are complaining?

bike-policing does seem like an odd use of taxpayer dollars {{I got a radar ticket on St. Joe's a year or so back - people just laugh at me when I tell them that... rangers with radar guns???}}, but I'm still not going to advocate getting rid of rangers - those guys do lots of good things!

It's about showing up.

It sounds like fair warning to me.

Take it for what it is. If you choose to ride outside that limit it is up to you and I don't want to hear no sniveling about a fine.

mtbr member
    The answer is simple:

However, staffing is back up to levels whic will allow us to enforce the NO BIKE rules for this section of the park.
    Threaten to have the staffing reduced. Start leaving flyers about that if the rangers are not serving the community, get rid of the rangers.

mtbr member
    With the closing of the trail that lets you exit stage right before fully delivering the mail, it appears to be an assault from all directions

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    which trails does this include?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    which trails does this include?
    There was a No Bikes sign at the top of Sweetness about 5 years ago.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing signs popping up.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

tastes like chicken
    Two rangers were out at rincon parking lot this afternoon around 2:00 putting these flyers on windshields and giving them directly to anyone in the lot. I took a pic of it to post here but it ain't happening so I'll just quote what it says....

(the first part is in large, bold type w/ pic of ranger badge next to it)
    WARNING TO MOUNTAIN BIKERS

"The area of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park which lies between Highway Nine and UCSC has always been closed to bikes and dogs due to the sensitive habitat. The Ranger staff has not been enforcing the rule (CCR 4360) due to the lack of staffing. However, staffing is back up to levels whic will allow us to enforce the NO BIKE rules for this section of the park.

Starting Sunday, February 18, 2009, any bike entering or leaving he above listed section of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park may receive a citation for riding in an Area Closed To Bicycles (CCR 4360) and Destruction of Plants (CCR 4306). We are allowing a few weeks to adjust to the renewed enforcement and encourage you to use the designated trails of UCSC and Pogonip for your "Single Track" riding.

If this flyer is on our windshield, we have recorded your license plate as proof of notification."
    This program started today. I was notified this afternoon.

Nice enough guys (just doing their job), but did find it kind of ironic that now that thier "staffing is back up to levels which will allow us to enforce the NO BIKE rules for this section of the park." Didn't I just see somewhere that the State is broke??

Scare tactics?? Gotta wonder too if the sheer # of trucks w/ trailers full of bikes shuttling these hills had anything to do w/ it (2 of them passed as we talked to the rangers).
    Could be a gold mine for the state if they do follow thru. Any thoughts???
    I don't believe that they got additional funding for rangers. Not in this economic climate. However, the tensions between local residents towards shuttlers have been escalating over the past year and the State Parks management have to address these complaints. They are not happy with the proliferation of trails and complaints from the neighbors so starting an enforcement program to nail mountain bikers allow them to accomplish a couple of goals.

1. address the concerns of the local residents.

2. Capitalize on the potentially lucrative revenue stream.

The party is over. There never were any trails in Santa Cruz so no harm, no foul.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    question: "which trails does this include?"
    answer: all the fun ones!! (of course)

They kindly explained that once you ride up Pogonip and Uconn to the top where the signage post is, everything on the right side of the fire road as you head towards the tanks, is considered off limits as far as they are concerned. Those who have been ticketed in this area in the past know it aint a cheap one either....in the few hundred dollar range from what i hear. I didn't bother asking them, since i don't ride those trails anyways Oh well, I suspect they will keep close tabs at first until they start seeing the desired results

Birthday Collector
    I am guessing the shear number of trucks shuttling riders up is precisely what is driving the sudden interest in making this "illegal" pastime catch notice of some officials. It is quite possible that drivers on the road may have complained about riders coming off of the bottom of MCR, etc... where it kind of just dumps you down onto the road. Little shoulder, some people who should not be driving winding roads, etc... leads to complaints or potential accidents. Also, potential revenues for citing the people on the trails is another place where the state sees an opportunity for making some $$$. Last time I was down those trails (been over a year since I have ridden down to 9 that way) there were no signs. Be interesting to see if there are any put up. If you are going to ride those trails, carry a camera that date/time stamps and photograph the top of the trail before you start down. Then if you get accosted, argue that there is no signage and you have a picture to prove it. They can take your bike, but they can't take your camera. (Might be a good idea to have a couple of people photo that, in case one person shows a shot and they DO take your camera, you have one to back it up!) If there is a sign, and you get caught, then, you deserve it. If there is no sign - I'd fight it and press charges for abuse of power and theft of property if they take your bike. Like said before, there are a lot of better things that we should have our rangers do than to keep bicycles off of trails that I have never seen a hiker on before...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Team Chilidog!
    *sigh* Staffing levels up? Haven't they been reading the news? California is only paying state employees with IOUs now.

I guess they expect mountain bikers to pay their salaries
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Groveland Trail Heads

Time

for me to move...
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoadsc

The party is over. There never were any trails in Santa Cruz so no harm, no foul.
    When does the "Nothing to see here" approach stop being beneficial?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got one of these fliers. It's easy money for the state. They can just sit at the bottom of the trails on the highway and nab people as they come down. Somebody came up with this bright idea and is a hero. I wanted to tell the rangers that they should take the weekends off to spend time with their families.

One funny thing I noticed is that February 18 is a Wednesday. Maybe start staffing somebody who can read a calendar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i hope those people who shuttle have fun popping out onto 9 and getting popped with a ticket. will teach them to learn to pedal up
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    i hope those people who shuttle have fun popping out onto 9 and getting popped with a ticket. will teach them to learn to pedal up
    People who shuttle may or may not have provoked the situation but it doesn't look like they will be the only ones who get popped.

Ride Responsibly
    Try asking the Park Superintendent for bike access, work with them to mitigate the reasons given to deny access.

I am lost, I'm no guide

Where's Blue Shorts right now?

"I told you so"

Anyone that did not see this coming was either in complete and utter denial, or is just a fool...

Ain't this a peach
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's going to be another temporary funding source. Once the tickets start coming, the trails will empty. Then the State Parks will have one less bright idea to bring in revenue.

Ariolimax columbianus

maybe turn your lights on?

with the minor amount of rain we've had in ca this season it's probably better that these trails close. they're gettin tore up and it's become a highway on the weekends. the no bikes sign @ the top of "****%$$" has been there a long time (longer than 5 yrs ago), people just vandalize it. maybe the folks w/full on dh bikes/armor and nice trucks can afford those tickets. you'd think w/most of 'em gettin busted you may get lucky/be off the hook.

if this weather holds, summer will begin with a dry dusty hardpan forest (well close). folks need to recognize that ca problems are larger than just not being able to ride their mtbs in the forest, look at the big picture and our natural resources (water particularly).

it's time to leave your full suspension bikes at home and break out the rigids. go ride wilder, fireroads, awesome views, and you know where the singletrack is at, keep it/bring back old school style. all i know is that 70 degree weather and short sleeves at the beginning of february just aint right.

singletrack bound
    You notice the OP said "in Rincon parking lot fliers were handed out?"

If you pop out on 9 then your fair game.

How far up the hill are they willing to go?

Stay under the canopy and climb back up?

Seems like they are targeting the FR/DH groups.

I get over there occasionally but they are going to have to work a little to find me in there....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shuttlers ruining it for everyone. Typical, if you can't ride up you shouldn't be riding down.

If they've got enough staff for "no bike" enforcment, then they should have plenty for catching the smash-n-grab thieves at the Demo forest parking lot.

mtbr member
    This soon will pass! Not like there are trails there anyway!

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by scfreak
    This soon will pass! Not like there are trails there anyway!
    so true!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast