mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Race Behind Bars this Sunday

Is anyone doing the Race Behind Bars in Folsom on Sunday? I was planning to do the fun ride after the race because the course looks fun and it is normally closed but I can no longer find reference to it on the website. Does anyone know if the fun ride is still on? If so what time does it start?

Thanks,
    Eric

Is this thing on?
    That is weird, I was on the site yesterday and could swear the info about riding the course after the race was there. It does seem to be gone now. From what I remember, you could ride the course after the race ends. I think somewhere around 1:30 or 2:00. I'll be there flying the Quadzilla colors in the big man class.

mtb'er
    Course should be open by 1:15ish. I'm not sure about the "fun ride", but Volunteer to sweep the course :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll be there!

mtbr member
    Stomach flu followed by a cold followed by a ruptured ear drum has taken me out of any sort of race form. Suck because this is such a fun race. I would assume the fun ride is sill on but if space exists jump into a class and have fun with the pack! Have a great race everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    haven't looked at the webpage yet this year but are the race fees up to $100/race yet???!?!!

mtb'er
    $35 adult. $20 junior.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Getting ready for the RBB now. Have fun everyone! :cheers:

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulriding View Post
    haven't looked at the webpage yet this year but are the race fees up to $100/race yet???!?!!
    You must be thinking of TBF.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well I showed up around 1 pm and was told the fun ride had been eliminated this year due to lack of interest in the past and no preregistered people this year. There is a reason nobody prereg'ed for it, there wasn't a way to do so on their website, you could only register for the full race! I'm a little annoyed how they handled this but I understand why they did it. If they bring back the fun ride next year I might make the drive over there again. Instead I spent the afternoon in the Folsom zoo with the family (walking around in my cycling clothes no less)

-Eric

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would hate to see restrictions continue. Really wanted to do this race this year but didn't coordinate things in advance (I usually work Sunday).

Might be time to organize an effort to highlight the race locally and generate participation thru local grassroots tactics before the race is cancelled completely.

Is this thing on?
    I don't think there is much of an issue with the race being cancelled, they had good attendance yesterday. I had never done this race but will do it again, they do a great job with it. It is an organized well run race and they have timing and scoring dialed. Virtually instant results, no waiting around for an hour to tally and correct times. I can see why the 'Fun ride' isn't a hit, not too many people want to pay to ride the course and it's not a super exciting course. I agree they could do a little more promotion but do get a good local crowd.

mtbr member
    This was my first time at RBB and I had a great time! Everything started on time and it was worth $35.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So what did you guys think of the course? Was it a fun course to ride or just a course to do a fun race?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by efinley View Post
    So what did you guys think of the course? Was it a fun course to ride or just a course to do a fun race?
    Medium fun. Harder than it looked, but not that hard. Should have had a bit more time to separate out before the funnel on the first lap. There were a lot of crashes and offs that blocked traffic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Overall, the race was fun. Was harder than I was expecting since the climbs were usually in the hot sun, but overall not bad at all. I kind of wish the course was more technical. There seemed to be long stretches of fire roads and the single track was pretty tame.

Still had a lot of fun, and met some cool cats.

Is this thing on?
    I agree with Ben_Im, it was a pretty easy fun course to ride but difficult to race. The rolling terrain meant no really difficult or long climbs but it also meant no place to recover. The first single track section wasn't hard but it was narrow and rocky which intimidated some people. It created a huge bottle neck on the first lap, someone would bobble or stop and everyone behind was screwed. It was windy and hot, close to 90 degrees.

I had a good race. I got stuck in the first single track when someone ahead stopped, I had to hop off and run a bit cyclocross style. I went hard the first lap and made up a few spots and was 4th going into the second lap. I caught someone in the single track and got screwed again. He was doing fine, then bobbled and stopped in some rocks. I tried to go around but didn't have enough momentum and got stopped int he same rocks. 5th was right behind and he got through without stopping. By the time I got going he was gone, I never saw him again. I thought 6th was close too so I pushed as hard as I could till the end. I was totally wiped out after the race. I finished 5th in Clydesdale class. It was a fun race, I'll do it again next year.

mtbr member

FWIW, I've raced the course several times (not this past weekend though) and never really cared for it. There was just nothing all that fun about it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtb'er
    Brew got a blurry photo of himself on his first race out there a few years ago (during warm ups!), became the cover boy for event, and retired from it

Race Behind Bars this Sunday-dsc04187.jpg

I didn't race this one, but I like the course.

mtbr member
    Great race report Froride! Thanks for taking the time to do it. Rep sent.

mtbr member

Is this the same course they use at Cyclebration?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Is this the same course they use at Cyclebration?
    Yes. Same trail network, maybe tweaked here and there for variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits