aka dan51

Questions on Rolfing

No, I don't mean ralphing after a hard effort

Who's done it?
    What was your experience?
    how long did the results last?
    Anyone you would recommend?

I've got some problems foam roller and massage don't help. After initial searches on rolfing I have a feeling it may be what I need.
    I have neck tightness on the left, back pain on the right, and IT band issues on the left, shoulders aren't the same height either. Something is just out of whack with me, quite possibly mild scoliosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

~~~
    Not to be confused with Rowlfing, which involves some questionable acts with this dude.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

~~~
    Dammit Dion! You beat me to it.

YESBRO!!!
    Came here for Muppet references.

Leaving satisfied.

~~~
    I don't have any experience with rolfing specifically, but it sounds very similar to a lot of eastern medicine techniques. It's all about restoring balance and you shouldn't have to continue seeing them for a prolonged period. Don't let anyone go cracking on your spine, that's for sure.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz View Post
    Came here for Muppet references.

Leaving satisfied.
    Damn, didn't see those coming.
    One of my favorite Muppets.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Are you able to get to Los Gatos a few times a week for 3 or 4 weeks?

I went to see these guys for similar type issues about 10 years ago and they worked with me to develop a custom work out that has improved my well being tremendously. It took a few months of doing the routine before I was really out of the woods, but I can honestly say it has been life changing and some of the best money I've ever spent.

Physical Therapy of Los Gatos

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've never experienced Rolfing, but I've heard good things from a couple of people who've had it done to them.

Last week I was reading the May/June '12 issue of Eucalyptus magazine, and read an article about a treatment called Bowen Therapy, which was developed in the 1950s by Tom Bowen, an Australian osteopath. It seems like a very sound approach to re-balancing the body and reducing pain.

Here's the article:
    Bowen Therapy - Eucalyptus Magazine - May/June 2012 - San Francisco Bay Area

Bowen Pain Relief Technique-

There's a certified Bowen Therapy Practitioner at San Jose's Zen Integrative Clinic:

Zen Integrative Clinic Zen Integrative Clinic Balancing Body. Mind. Spirit.

There's also NST (Neurostructural Integration Technique), which is a more advanced form of Bowen Therapy:

Neurostructural Integration Technique: Advanced Bowen Therapy
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

mtbr member
    You'll save more money by hiring someone to remove your stump's, just saying
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

jrm
    mtbr member

You know, this

"I have neck tightness on the left, back pain on the right, and IT band issues on the left, shoulders aren't the same height either. Something is just out of whack with me, quite possibly mild scoliosis"

Sounds like an alignment issue, like theres an imbalance in your neck, back and lower torso or something. I've done the alignment thing and it's helped. It may be worth a try.

aka baycat
    Dan as you probably know it is an expensive endeavor as most places sell a 10 session package, so finding the right place and practitioner is paramount. I have done some one off rolfing sessions at a place in SF that I normally go to for ART and sports massage, to see what it is all about. Quite painful at first, I saw some immediate changes to my problem areas: my lower back and hips.

If foam rolling and other options were not working out, I would definitely look into rolfing as I am not a fan of chiropractors.

This is my place: Welcome to Psoas Massage + Bodywork

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I went through a 10 series when I was trying to fix my hip without replacing it. It was sometimes painful but I'd leave the office feeling great afterwards. Definitely helped out in a lot of ways, although I still ended up replacing the hip (so much bone-on-bone contact, no amount of musculature work could fix it). If you've body alignment issues from injury and/or musculature compensation, it can be fantastic. I was doing about 2 sessions a week, which I'd recommend to keep your body from falling back into old habits and patterns.

aka dan51
    To add to this:
    "I have neck tightness on the left, back pain on the right, and IT band issues on the left, shoulders aren't the same height either. Something is just out of whack with me, quite possibly mild scoliosis"
    I also cannot tilt my head to the side equal amounts on each side. I can tilt it left about 45', and to the right about 30'. When going to the right my head stops due to the muscles on the left getting tight, when going to the left it goes as far as the neck joints will allow.

When I was in Jr high, we had a scoliosis test (at the time I had no idea what we were doing).
    The Dr had us take our shirts off, and bend over in front of him. I always found it super odd and thought it was some perverted thing this guy did. Everyone in front of me got a "OK, you're good. Next!" comment. When it was my turn he said "Oh, you should see a doctor." Wish I had paid more attention in school. I never mentioned it to my parents. I just felt the whole process was odd...

A couple years ago I went to a free chiro tent at a soccer tournament for some back pains. They laid me down on the table and one of the first things the student noticed was how my legs were different lengths! I later went to a professional sports therapist and mentioned it to him, he said it's no big deal, when you stand up the body adjusts itself. Well no ****! Now I'm starting to feel those "body adjustments" are the pains I feel today.

Time to go to body shop for a 4 wheel alignment!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My Dad is a Rolfer so I've had quite a bit of it over the years. He was originally trained by Ida Rolf nearly 40 years ago. He currently lives in Utah but comes out to SF (where we grew up) a few times a year to work, I know he'll be out next month.

ROLFING Andy Crow

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    A couple years ago I went to a free chiro tent at a soccer tournament for some back pains. They laid me down on the table and one of the first things the student noticed was how my legs were different lengths! I later went to a professional sports therapist and mentioned it to him, he said it's no big deal, when you stand up the body adjusts itself. Well no ****! Now I'm starting to feel those "body adjustments" are the pains I feel today.
    Your legs probably aren't different lengths but rather your hips are out of alignment and locked up. This gives the illusion of your legs being different. One of the first things my chiro checks when I go in is how well my heels line up.

There's a simple test that you can do to check if your hips are locked up. Shiloh can help with this. Lie on your stomach and while keeping a straight leg and your hips flat to the ground try to lift each leg as high as you can.

Here's where Shiloh can help - she can hold her hand at the height of heel on your first leg and then compare that to the other leg. They should be able to achieve the same height.

PM me if you would like a recommendation to a chiro. Mine is in the Willow Glen area. She was a sports medicine therapist and does triathlons herself so she not only understands the mechanics of the whole body muscular, skeletal and nervous but also how that relates to bike riding, running and swimming.
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had 8 out of the 10 sessions done almost 30 years ago. I think it was pretty worthwhile.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.