Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

Pump Track - Scotts Valley

Public Meeting:

The bicycle community has requested that the Parks and Recreation Commission consider construction of a “pump track” similar to the one in Aptos. One of the favored locations being considered is the vacant area just to the right of the tennis courts in Skypark.

There is full City Council support and Parks and Recreation support. This public meeting is about location, and whatever else the public would like to state.

Currently there is a small group who does not want the Pump track near the Tennis courts who are worried about traffic and parking problems, even though there is more than ample parking near the skate park about 1/4 mile away.

The Area next to the Tennis Courts was chosen for a permanent Pump Track.

Details will be presented at the meeting. If you have other questions please contact the Public Works Department at (831) 438-5854 or tmcgrath@scottsvalley.org.

Thursday, June 6th, 2013
    Parks and Recreation Office
    361 Kings Village Road, Scotts Valley
    6:00 pm

Pump Track  - Scotts Valley-8931766477_2f3a463245_z.jpg

My 2 year old daughter at the Epicenter PT in Aptos.
    Last edited by CHUM; 06-03-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: ad area code to phone number
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Locs on Spokez
    Awesome!!
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Wow! That is such good news, especially with the Aptos track closing. Just about every time I've ridden at Aptos--or even Calabazas--it's filled with kids/families having a blast like your daughter. Please let us know what we can do to help. Do you need bodies (non-residents) at the meeting?
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Looking on the map, it seems like this is a private tennis area for the neighborhood, since you have to drive through it to get there. Not surprising that people are going to complain about parking and stuff. I'm guessing the best plan would be to park near the skate park like you said, and then ride the path up there.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I will be at the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Looking on the map, it seems like this is a private tennis area for the neighborhood, since you have to drive through it to get there. Not surprising that people are going to complain about parking and stuff. I'm guessing the best plan would be to park near the skate park like you said, and then ride the path up there.
    Hey Stulax18,

Actually, the tennis courts are public as is are all amenities in SkyPark. The reasons this area jumps out as #1 is a) permanent, b) land is already 'slotted' for this type of development and most importantly c) location.

Many families hang out in SkyPark for soccer, laCrosse, dog shows, ultimate Frisbee, 4th of July, Beer festival, wine festival, etc...it has 2 playgrounds, dog park, a NICE skatepark, tennis courts, basketball, running path, etc....

here's a map where you can park and ride to the pump track if the tennis lot is full (it's really like a 1/10 of mile away)

Pump Track  - Scotts Valley-where-park.jpg

swag ho Administrator
    stickied bud. I'll try and be there.

fc
    IPA will save America

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Hey Stulax18,

Actually, the tennis courts are public as is are all amenities in SkyPark. The reasons this area jumps out as #1 is a) permanent, b) land is already 'slotted' for this type of development and most importantly c) location.

Many families hang out in SkyPark for soccer, laCrosse, dog shows, ultimate Frisbee, 4th of July, Beer festival, wine festival, etc...it has 2 playgrounds, dog park, a NICE skatepark, tennis courts, basketball, running path, etc....

here's a map where you can park and ride to the pump track if the tennis lot is full (it's really like a 1/10 of mile away)
    That's good that it's all public area. Hopefully people will be smart about it and park there to avoid any conflict. I'm just looking at it and envisioning the usual homeowners complaining about trucks with bikes tearing through their quiet neighborhood. Just covering all the bases because even though I might never ride this, I want to see it built as another win for the bike community.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Curious how this got this going. There is this huge plot of land just at the start of St. Joes that never gets used that would be perfect for a pump track. I think it's owned by SJ Water and I know someone there but Midpen is somehow involved also. I always wanted to broach the idea of building a pump track here (open, easy access, water supply, etc) but not sure where to start or if it's even worth it. See yellow patch at end of Jones Road. Does anyone have any literature on what it takes to build, maintain, and why it's good for the park system? If it's drawn up as a proposal already, prevents me from having to rewrite the wheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pump Track  - Scotts Valley-jones.jpg  

Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Curious how this got this going. There is this huge plot of land just at the start of St. Joes that never gets used that would be perfect for a pump track. I think it's owned by SJ Water and I know someone there but Midpen is somehow involved also. I always wanted to broach the idea of building a pump track here (open, easy access, water supply, etc) but not sure where to start or if it's even worth it. See yellow patch at end of Jones Road. Does anyone have any literature on what it takes to build, maintain, and why it's good for the park system? If it's drawn up as a proposal already, prevents me from having to rewrite the wheel.
    Using privately owned land works fer sure - but is trickier. There needs to be an agreement with the landowner and the city/county/parks to lease that land for $xx per year and take on full liability. It's how the PT at Epicenter in Aptos was built (GREAT Pump Track there).

Also, on public/city owned land it depends what the lands intended purpose is for...and where the money came form to purchase it. Changing those plans is tricky and time consuming. There was another spot in Scotts Valley I liked but was turned down by City Council because it was planned for high density housing, not for public recreation.

As far as proposing a PT in your neighborhood simply contact the local Parks and Rec department and start a dialogue. I have a 'generic' presentation you can use.

The best thing you can do to advance these little bike parks is to shed the image of the 'gonzo' MTB'r when proposing this idea. Focus solely on family fun, little kids fun, safety and healthy outdoor recreation. The image of MTB'rs in full armor jumping off cliffs is pretty ingrained....and not too many public staff members will be enthused about promoting that image.

Private funding helps
    Build in an observable area helps
    Water and restrooms nearby helps
    Getting Police on board helps
    Pictures of parents and kids riding together helps
    Emphatically stating the PT's are NOT jump parks helps

I started this process in SV over 2 years ago by simply requesting a Pump track for our city....all very casual in the beginning and took literally 10 minutes to plant the idea (there's been a lot more work since then )

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    CHUM, thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this. It will be great to have a local PT.

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    CHUM, thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this. It will be great to have a local PT.
    I want to second that. Thank you CHUM for your leadership on this pump track project! It's very much appreciated and

We have a lot of support for this project from MBoSC and the bike industry in Scotts Valley. Once we get the approval the funding, construction and maintenance should not be a problem.

Our biggest challenge is to mitigate the concerns of the local community and the neighbors. Their concerns could be summarized as:

* Dust and blowing dirt
    * Traffic and parking
    * Noise
    * Attracting undesirable elements

It would be great if we have answers for all those points. I'll try to write some talking points and post it to this thread.

I plan to attend the meeting on June 6th at 6 pm.

It would be great to have SLV and SJ residents with families who regularly ride at the Epicenter pump track in Aptos come and speak about how valuable and family friendly pump tracks are. Even better if you know any pump track folks in Scotts Valley who would support this then let them know about this meeting (and this thread). All Skypark residents received a mailer about this meeting.

tastes like chicken

We the people ... Pump track mailer for Skypark residents

I would like to add that the Scotts Valley City Council had unanimously approved to move forward with the pump track process at their May 15th meeting.

Thank you CHUM, MBoSC, Easton Bell Sports and Action Sports Construction for attending that city council meeting and setting the stage for this public process.

Pump Track  - Scotts Valley-screenshot_6_3_13_2_27_pm.jpg
    Last edited by mrtoadsc; 06-03-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: proper branding and trade marks are important

default title
    Mar 2008
    If you can't make it to the meeting but would like to comment, email addresses..... der. See below from MrToadSC
    Last edited by kattrap; 06-04-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    If you can't make it to the meeting but would like to comment, email addresses for SV City Council members is here: City of Scotts Valley: City Council
    Thank you for the note kattrap! However, the City Council already unanimously supports this project so it may be constructive to provide your feedback to the SV Public Works Admin Trish McGrath tmcgrath@scottsvalley.org

City of Scotts Valley: Public Works

She will probably summarize the public comments from email and at the Thursday meeting for and provide this as a report to the City Council.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think the picture of the 2 year old is awesome, and sends a great message. Another picture that I think sends a great message is the 12-15 year old sitting in line on their bike, with the parent sitting right next to them on their bike both waiting for their turn. This particular picture shows parents involvement in their kids lives at one of the most impressionable times. There are an uncountable number of things that the 12-15 year old is not getting involved in because the parent or some other responsible figure is there with them at the PT.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    This always sounds creepy, but watching the younger kids push themselves around a PT is one of the happiest bike related things I've ever seen. Can't help but smile.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

tastes like chicken

Conceptual pump track renderings

Alex Fowler of Action Sport Construction provided me with a bunch of conceptual rendering of the Scotts Valley pump track.

DISCLAIMER: These images are meant to convey the idea of the pump track and does not reflect the actual design. The layout and working area are incorrect.

Pump Track  - Scotts Valley-sv3.jpgPump Track  - Scotts Valley-sv4.jpgPump Track  - Scotts Valley-sv5.jpgPump Track  - Scotts Valley-sv6.jpgPump Track  - Scotts Valley-sv7.jpgPump Track  - Scotts Valley-sv8.jpgPump Track  - Scotts Valley-sv9.jpg

I plan to visit the tennis courts after work today to walk around and get a sense of the space.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoadsc View Post
    Thank you for the note kattrap! However, the City Council already unanimously supports this project so it may be constructive to provide your feedback to the SV Public Works Admin Trish McGrath tmcgrath@scottsvalley.org

City of Scotts Valley: Public Works

She will probably summarize the public comments from email and at the Thursday meeting for and provide this as a report to the City Council.
    Bump for tonight. Let's get another pump track built!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

OK - here's the skinny.

First of all - THANK YOU FOR ATTENDING!!!!! It makes a super HUGE difference. These decisions are made by the people who show up at these meetings...

Around 50+ attended....of all ages...many residents of Skypark and cyclists.

27 people spoke with a 3 minute time limit.

It was very clear that Skypark residents do not want a PT near the tennis courts...Their primary concern was parking (that has been exasperated by a local Dodgeball league making them crazy).

It was also very clear that they had absolutely no problem with the idea of a pump track. In fact the concept of pump track being a positive amenity in the community was widely accepted.

It was also generally noted that an area behind a dog park (in Skypark) would be a good location, albeit temporary (a new Town center is supposed to be built there....but that's going to take many years to happen).

With 2 of the 3 Commissioners moving to revisit finding a new location (which would take a LONG time) I brought up the idea of constructing the Pump Track behind the dogpark as a type of community education project and motioned that we advise the City Council on the positive impact it would bring to Scotts Valley.

I am finding, when working with the public, that I have taken for granted the breadth of knowledge I have on the 'real' impacts of MTB culture. There are many out there who still feed on FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) and think we are all hooligans out running over rabbits and squirrels and launching off cliffs.

This project will go a long way in removing much of that FUD from the public.

Sorry to disappoint, but there was no way I could advance this project in the proposed location.

Pic of new proposed area behind dog park on Skypark:
    Pump Track  - Scotts Valley-dog-pak.jpg

And here's a shot of the approx size of the Epicenter Aptos PT for reference:
    Pump Track  - Scotts Valley-aptos-pt.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey...I'll be out Mid July for a couple weeks...have it finished by then will ya? lol

Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude View Post
    Hey...I'll be out Mid July for a couple weeks...have it finished by then will ya? lol

* makes mental note to screw with 'WaveDude' in the near future *

I like mtn biking, too
    Chum - Is it too late to send a letter in support to the address Mark (aka Mr toad) put on here? Sorry, I am late to respond to this. I guess I didn't know enough about that neighborhood to offer any intelligent comment on how to mitigate their concerns. I wasn't sure, but so in the end, they voted to look for another location? And I couldn't really tell from your post if the area next to the dog park is worth advocating for or not? i.e. what should I write?
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Chum - Is it too late to send a letter in support to the address Mark (aka Mr toad) put on here? Sorry, I am late to respond to this. I guess I didn't know enough about that neighborhood to offer any intelligent comment on how to mitigate their concerns. I wasn't sure, but so in the end, they voted to look for another location? And I couldn't really tell from your post if the area next to the dog park is worth advocating for or not? i.e. what should I write?
    Hey There shredchic!

There was discussion on how to mitigate the parking/traffic issues....but some recent dodgeball league has left a very sour taste in the residents mouths by running stop signs, parking all over the damn place and littering. It was by my count less in favor of the tennis court location than for the location.

Ultimately I motioned that the P&R Commission advise the City Council that a PT behind the dog park would not only mitigate parking/traffic issues in the neighborhood, but allow for the SV 'non biking' community to view in plain sight the positive impact of a PT. The area behind the dog park is easily accessed, and there is plenty of parking.

The other 2 attending Commissioners agreed and the motion was passed. Just as an FYI, the other 2 Commissioners were not on board after hearing the public with having the PT next to the tennis courts. I had made the dogpark area suggestion based on many public comments, and to not stall the process any further.

Having to meet about a 'new' location, then meet about our findings, then tour the locations, then get back on the City Councils agenda to get approval, then have another public meeting, then advise the city council would take a very, very long time. That and there are not very many public spots zoned for this type of recreation in SV (currently).

Now that we have a "public approved" (public input) direction, and P&R Commission support we bypass many of the aforementioned hurdles.

It looks like the PT will be added to the City Council's agenda for July 17 (though not set in stone yet). I will then put my 'advocate' hat back on and try to convince the City Council this is a better plan.

Overall there is heavy community support for a PT...and for the location behind the dogpark. The one primary 'hink' is that the City Council will not be too keen on having this built on land slotted for development (which will be years from now). They want to avoid any whining, *****ing, moaning when it will have to come down.

So please, write the to the address above in support of a public PT in Scotts Valley, and for the location behind the dog park.

I will notify everyone for the City Council meeting and supply times, location and email addresses later.

* now I know why Berkeley Mike is so damn long winded...this crap takes a lot of words to convey correctly...blah *

I like mtn biking, too
    No worries, thanks for all the info - I read it all - yes it does sound very complicated! Such is life being a human trying to cooperate with a bunch of other humans. I will write them then!
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast