Team Chilidog!

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! PSA: For MBO August, currently fire on Alpine Trail

Alpine trail closure due to fire (Aug 6, 2012).

OP: ImaKlyde (not me, just passing info)

"Please stay off Alpine until further notice. There is a fire below Buckhead shelter (which is just down trail from road #683 crossing). The safest plan: stay off Alpine and it's closed by Buckhead anyway. If you *have* to ride on Alpine, please plan on combining it with Tire, Cloverpatch, Winberry, etc. You will be turned back at the road #683 junction if you go down trail from the Tire Mt. junction (you would have to climb 683 to get to 1910 and then descend 1910...or ride trail back up...whatever)."

Team Chilidog!
    Update as of 10 August, Fire now 136 acres, 10% containment:
    InciWeb the Incident Information System: Buckhead Complex

padded
    Ruh roh I'm going to MBO but don't know the trail system. Does this have a big impact on the rides?
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I'm also going to MBO this next week. The fire could definitely have an impact on Alpine Trail.

mtbr member
    Alpine is a classic trail, but there are many, many others. The MBO folks will make sure we've got plenty of riding. See ya there.
    "When you ride hard on a mountain bike, sometimes you fall. Otherwise you're not riding hard.
    -- So, most of the time when you're riding hard and not falling (since you only fall sometimes), you aren't actually riding hard." W.

Team Chilidog!
    There are other trails to ride but for me, the smoke is the issue with my asthma. The fire is on the lower part of alpine so smoke is likely in the valley.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

jms
    mtbr member

Not Really

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    The fire is on the lower part of alpine so smoke is likely in the valley.
    Not Really. Greenwaters [MBO staging/camping] is in Oakridge, and Alpine is outside of Westfir a ridge away. The prevailing winds generally don't blow from Westfir towards Oakridge. I suspect everything towards Middlefork, Lawler, Hardesty, Heckletooth, Larrison Rock and Creek, etc., etc. will be smoke free.

Have fun @ MBO, there is SO much more to Oakridge and MBO than just the Alpine Trail [and it's my favorite trail anywhere]. I'm sure it will all be great!
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yeah I am headed up to MBO next week as well. I just got a message saying Alipne might be affected, but everything will proceed as planned and that they will work in other options as necessary. Very excited to head up there, rode some of these trails in college at U of O and it is incredible stuff. See you guys up there!

Ariolimax columbianus
    Learned the hard way, rode alpine thurs. Didnt stop @ the Merc for trail conditions nor did I check the internets. Was up @ Waldo lake for a few days before that. NUT yesterday. The alpine dirt was very good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSA: For MBO August, currently fire on Alpine Trail-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344799154.199881.jpg  

PSA: For MBO August, currently fire on Alpine Trail-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344799298.148227.jpg  

PSA: For MBO August, currently fire on Alpine Trail-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344799371.381596.jpg  

PSA: For MBO August, currently fire on Alpine Trail-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344799445.861066.jpg  

PSA: For MBO August, currently fire on Alpine Trail-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344799494.406680.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey Stripes did you get that yeti dirt jumper built yet? I too will be at MBO Oregon next week. We should have a norcal mtbr get together so I can put faces to the people.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Already packed up and ready to go, but not leaving until Thursday bright and early. Heading up from Sac and hoping to get there in time for a quick ride.

Beanie aficionado
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Whason View Post
    Hey Stripes did you get that yeti dirt jumper built yet? I too will be at MBO Oregon next week. We should have a norcal mtbr get together so I can put faces to the people.
    Look for me, i'll be the guy on a bike crashing all over the place like a complete squid.
    The last time i rode my mountain bike was... gasp... April.

swag ho Administrator
    Have a great time kids!!!

fc

padded
    Nomad is dialed, the car is already loaded, I'd be hitting the road at 7am tomorrow if didn't have conf calls until 9am that required a computer and steady voice service. So stoked on this trip

mtbr member
    Had a great time at MBO and the fire was not an issue. The full Alpine trail was not available, but the top was fine to ride and they strung it together with Tire Mountain and Clover Patch (ATC). Got really lucky with some rain early Saturday morning which turned Alpine and Tire Mountain trails into some true hero dirt.
    "Got everything you need?"

padded
    Awesome weekend, great job by Randy and everyone who helped make this happen. Fave trails were Middle Earth (upper part of Middle Fork from Timpanogas to Patty's Valley) and Lawler - super sweet, technical downhills with a great mix of trail types, and the rain on Sat morning made things much grippier. Super-friendly vibe and beer garden made it all perfect.
    Huge thumbs-up, everyone should do MBO at least once