PSA for Ft. Ord

Printable View

• 12-19-2012
    Stripes
    PSA for Ft. Ord
    Via the MORCA mailing list:
    https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif
    "Trail 82 has had some extensive grooming done today. Denny, the BLM groomer asked that once we get some rain (expected early Thursday - weekend) that Mountain bikers refrain from riding 82 for a few days. This will give the dirt time to settle and keep the ruts from reforming. He also indicated it would be nice if MORCA could give a hand to ensure that drain dips and drainage be re-established per IMBA best practices in the next month or two."
  • 12-22-2012
    somanygoodbikes
    Trail 82 is part of the Sea Otter course, yes? If one were thinking about heading to Ord on Monday or Tuesday after this rain blows through, and had also been thinking of running the SO course, is there a way around this section that retains most of the rest of it? Some searching suggests that Goat Trail may not be the best too soon after heavy rain.

If we are heading down there it will mean a four hour round trip drive so we'd like to make it worth the while. Any pointers to a good loop would be much appreciated.
  • 12-23-2012
    ECNiz
    I'm planning on heading down to Ft. Ord tomorrow. I'll stay off 82, but are there any other trails I should avoid after this heavy rain?
  • 12-23-2012
    Stripes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Trail 82 is part of the Sea Otter course, yes? If one were thinking about heading to Ord on Monday or Tuesday after this rain blows through, and had also been thinking of running the SO course, is there a way around this section that retains most of the rest of it? Some searching suggests that Goat Trail may not be the best too soon after heavy rain.

If we are heading down there it will mean a four hour round trip drive so we'd like to make it worth the while. Any pointers to a good loop would be much appreciated.

I don't know if Trail 82 is part of the Sand Otter course. I really hate that course and only think a few trails I ride are part of it.

Did you already head down or do you still need a route?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECNiz View Post
    I'm planning on heading down to Ft. Ord tomorrow. I'll stay off 82, but are there any other trails I should avoid after this heavy rain?

Not that I know of, as that's the only one that MORCA mentioned.
  • 12-23-2012
    somanygoodbikes
    A course recommendation would be great.

The crew I normally ride with are either indisposed or pessimistic about the weather for tomorrow so we are not going until a later date. But I'd still like to have a good route in my back pocket for when the day comes. The other poster would still probably appreciate it for tomorrow.

A Strava link works if that's what you've got. Those are easy enough to grab and load onto a GPS.

Thanks!
  • 12-24-2012
    Stripes
    Sure, this is one of the routes I ride from Creekside (BigLarry's Garmin, so it's gonna be pretty exact :D)
    Fort Ord Creekside Terrace - Goat Trail via Red Rock by larryqw at Garmin Connect - Details
  • 12-24-2012
    somanygoodbikes
    Interesting, thank you.

What don't you like about the Sea Otter course?
  • 12-24-2012
    ECNiz
    They do 82 in the uphill direction for Sea Otter, which I feel is the less-fun way. They also do Goat Trail "backwards" as well.
  • 12-24-2012
    Stripes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECNiz View Post
    They do 82 in the uphill direction for Sea Otter, which I feel is the less-fun way. They also do Goat Trail "backwards" as well.

This plus it's more fire road than singletrack. I prefer singletrack.
  • 12-24-2012
    mort30
    Sea Otter does all the fun down-hills in the other direction. I guess to prevent crashes due to the nature of being a race. 82, 50 and Goat to name a few, if you go to fast you can end up dealing with an Oak or a steep drop off. Would be a great spectator sport.
  • 12-24-2012
    BigLarry
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Sure, this is one of the routes I ride from Creekside (BigLarry's Garmin, so it's gonna be pretty exact :D)
    Fort Ord Creekside Terrace - Goat Trail via Red Rock by larryqw at Garmin Connect - Details

I love the new Red Rock trail (42), more than Goat Trail (41). Not as technical as the old trail that was disintegrating, but a lot more flowy. The Ewok trail (43) is also a sweet gentle climb back up to Goat. The three sisters were a fun challenge, but I'll be going this way from now on, right after doing the first little sister.

This track was from a couple weeks ago, where on the final stretch back we took the easier road around the mountain. But it's more fun to go over trail 02 and 31, which has a fun single track downhill back into the parking lot.

As for the GPS navigation, Fort Ord is the only place that I follow a track, rather than link a few waypoints, due to the zillions of confusing and nearly parallel trails. Just be sure to reduce (filter) the track down to number of points your saved tracks can handle, usually 500 or 1000 points, depending on your GPS. Otherwise you'll get halfway on the trail and have it disappear on you.
  • 12-25-2012
    Stripes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    I love the new Red Rock trail (42), more than Goat Trail (41). Not as technical as the old trail that was disintegrating, but a lot more flowy. The Ewok trail (43) is also a sweet gentle climb back up to Goat. The three sisters were a fun challenge, but I'll be going this way from now on, right after doing the first little sister.

This track was from a couple weeks ago, where on the final stretch back we took the easier road around the mountain. But it's more fun to go over trail 02 and 31, which has a fun single track downhill back into the parking lot.

As for the GPS navigation, Fort Ord is the only place that I follow a track, rather than link a few waypoints, due to the zillions of confusing and nearly parallel trails. Just be sure to reduce (filter) the track down to number of points your saved tracks can handle, usually 500 or 1000 points, depending on your GPS. Otherwise you'll get halfway on the trail and have it disappear on you.

Yeah next time lets hit the singletrack connection after Goat. Did we have another route now that parachute is closed?

Completely agree on the new Red Rock. Super fun. I'm looking at ways of slowly increasing that route.