Contains no juice.

Pour some out for the CHP's last Crown Vic

Cool article on a classic police car, soon to be extinct.

During a recent stop at the Shell station in Mojave, we spotted two shiny, new California Highway Patrol Dodge Chargers gleaming in the sun. Inside the well-worn mini-mart, the two cops assigned to the Dodges were contemplating the relative virtues of Pure Leaf and Gold Peak iced teas. We interrupted the armed and armored officers to ask a hard-hitting question: How do you guys like the Charger?

Uh, one said as the other nodded sagely, its okay. But its no Crown Vic.

We were surprised. The Charger looks good in police livery, and it is relatively new, certainly compared with the ancient Ford Crown Victoria. Didnt Ford stop making those almost a decade ago? Why are police officers pining for them? Are there still Crown Vic cop cars on the road?
    The rest of the article is here: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ars-in-service

Pour some out for the CHP's last Crown Vic-crown-vic.jpg

(As a Rendevous owner, I can sympathize. <----- actually, not cool. )
    At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.

DJ Trump

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    HATE my Charger, issued it new in 14. Hindsight 20/20 Id refused that new car just as I did the two previous offers and kept my 06 Crown Vic.

hopeless moron
    Considering that Chrysler/Dodge products are CHEAP poorly made garbage crap sht, I can see where a weary teary eye would yield to the mighty Crown Victoria.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, its called sarcasm; youre soaking in it!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Too bad the Crown Vics are as ugly as dog shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I don't know of any cop that prefers the replacement Taurus Interceptor over the Crown Vic.

Story I heard was the old Crown Vic platform would no longer accommodate all the new mandated safety features and the increasing amount of tech wanted by agencies. Ford sold too few Crown Vics to justify a ground-up total redesign, so they phased it out and modified the existing Taurus.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Cool article

Never been in a Charger but I had assumed they were nice. Guess I was wrong.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    The Crown Victoria, like the Caprice is body on frame and for obvious reasons is very appealing both during service life and after. It's why taxi companies and civilians gobble them up. They even make nice chassis swaps for Ford Trucks.

They just hate the Chargers because most times all they are allowed or given is the 6 cylinders (*non interceptor models excluded, but those are low percentage of total fleet numbers). Any that have been given and driven the Hemi 5.7 or 6.4** versions love them but do admittedly still miss body on chassis design. I'd love to see how the Explorer and Expedition issued stack up against a Durango of equivalent or competitive spec.

**FCA moved a little too much off the back IMHO back in 2013-2014 on their pricing and support to stay competitive w Ford's service vehicle offerings. They're not so held back now.

Moderator Moderator
    The Crown Vic does have a lot of leg room in the back, which makes it very comfortable when you're in hand cuffs!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Pfffft! I'll take the '66 Polara (440 no doubt) in their muesum.
    "The maturity of an 8 year-old boy coupled with the insecurity of a teen aged girl."

Broken but on the mend
    Not a fan of the Vics. I have blown to many transmissions in them, but they will always be the classic cop car. I love my exploder, they handle so much better and alot more room for all my gear. My office is switching over to tahoes currently, but I have mixed emotions about them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I would love to buy one at an auction or something. But the hell those cars must have gone thru,,yikes. I rough on my public sector vehicle, and Im a nerdy ass engineer.

Policemen must take it to the next level.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    Not a fan of the Vics. I have blown to many transmissions in them, but they will always be the classic cop car. I love my exploder, they handle so much better and alot more room for all my gear. My office is switching over to tahoes currently, but I have mixed emotions about them.
    Id love to drive a Ford Utility due to the practicality. Id rather have the space than performance, not going to be chasing much anymore. Drove a Tahoe once and hated climbing into it. Apparently state bid on those jumped big time so no more of those anyway.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Id love to drive a Ford Utility due to the practicality. Id rather have the space than performance, not going to be chasing much anymore. Drove a Tahoe once and hated climbing into it. Apparently state bid on those jumped big time so no more of those anyway.
    The Tahoe's are super comfortable I just dont like the performance even on the pursuit rated ones. I think I dont like the Vics because of the county I work in. We have alot of rural areas and the Vics were awful on dirt roads and in the winter you were guaranteed to get one stuck atleast once. The only thing that sucks about the Exploder is there is not a ton of space in the cabin. I have had a trainee for the last several months and the passenger's side is cramped.

mtbr member
    I had a Crown Vic for around 2 years, then got an Explorer. In the dry, I prefer the handling of the Vic - youve got to stay alert, but itll corner pretty hard. Once it gets wet though.... yikes!

As far as ergonomics go, however, the Explorer is a lot nicer; really notice the wear and tear on the legs and back when I take out a Vic for a day or two. You can also see a lot more in the Explorer, but that higher profile makes it that much harder to creep on a block without being seen.

My biggest problem with the Explorer is the transmission (Ive blown 2 in under 3 years). Oh, and their propensity to catch fire after a front end collision. Scary how fast the Explorer will go up in the right circumstance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck