Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Race Report

XC Sport 35-39
    27th 1:39

With all of the rain we have had this year, this was only the second time on the bike for me. I think that prevented me from being agressive enough at the start of the race as I entered the single track too far back and paid for it being behind slower riders on the climbs. I too found some tough going in the mud and sand. I went down on one of the first ultra sand pit singel track downhills and was made worse when I was run into from behind while tryiing to get going again. I was also sucked into one of the mud pits of death taking my bike to a screeching hault. Luckily I was behind a slower rider and did not have enough speed to go catapulting over the bars. By the time I was on the long climb back towards the track, my drivetrain was having substantial chain suck issues, especially in the middle ring. I tried to climb in the big ring as much as possible but no matter what I tired I could never get a good rhythm. Even with all of the problems I enjoyed the race.

I was first bummed out that they changed the course this year, but I thought it was still a great layout. Outside of the mud bogs, I thougth the course was in very good shape. If the conditions were dry I think some of the sandy climbs and decents would have been much much more difficult. Maybe we will find out next year.

mtbr member
    Beg Men, 30-34
    1:54:15 21/90

First off, my personal goal was to finish in the top half of the group. Last year I finished 66 out of 99. This was my second Sea Otter and third race overall. So I'm really happy with my result.. both my place and time. Beating 2 hours became an on course goal once I started the last climbs of the course. My pre-ride times were both over two hours (2:05 and 2:16 moving without the paved race track portion).

I don't plan to race much, but I'm happy with my preperation for this one: pre-rode the course, trained a bit, picked some good tires, and personally wrenched my bike into tip-top shape.

Some notes:

Yeah, I could've gone faster on the first singletrack sections (down and uphill), but probably not *much* faster. I'd like to think that I saved some energy for later and my time/place wasn't affected too much.

The course is really fun, and pre-riding it (twice) really helped mentally and technically.

Mud bogs... I cleaned most of them and walked two. Watching a guy in front of me endo spectacularly prevented me from doing the same on one of them. I tried to wheelie through a few at speed... work great twice, nearly disasterous on the third.

Didn't walk any uphills

Sandy downhills weren't too bad... a bit more packed down than last week.

Fireroads... I hit 37mph on the first downhill and despite my best intentions, launched a roller mis-balanced and started rotating forward. Did a nice landing on my front wheel and managed not to eat it.

Favorite part of the trail... short singletrack descent after the final climb. It's really fun, and felt great to "pin it" high on endorphins from the climb and adrenaline from being so close to the finish.

In terms of hydration, food, and fatigue, I felt pretty good.

rj2
    mtbr member

Sea Otter and Cool MTB post mortem

Best result ever, 16th Men's Beg XC 40-44. Didn't make much time up Skyline at the end and got passed by two guys in my group dressed in full team kitóone even had SHAVED legs. There should be a rule against that kind of behavior in this class. Same time as last year, but the course was more difficult. Need to taper more before race day.

It was a total hammerfest, 161 average bpm, 177 max. Havenít found my puke rate yet.

During the race, I ran into the guy who came in 3rd at Cool last month. I was 2nd. His buddy came in 1st but raced Sport at Sea Otter (10 min behind the leader). We could have moved up if he had raced in the correct group. At least he's stuck in Sport now and not sandbagging.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    I second the "fun factor" for the water bars/run offs -- yeeHaw! I liked the drop on preride day (Friday), but totally forgot about it come race day (was trying to catch the peleton
    Managed fine over it despite the memory blip. How about that last singletrack section? Catching a few sweet hips before hitting the runway; what a way to finish a ride!

Oh yeah:
    With a slow start & a good finish, I figured I had finished somewhere in the middle; I was 52nd of 104 men beg/35-39, 2:11 with one crash, one pee break and a few dismounts for trafficy hills. Pretty good figuring, no?

Thanks all for keeping it fun.

Well...if you're extremely handsome and charming...you could be me.

Pee break?! During a race!?

Yeah, I couldn't not hit some of the jumps even though it's slower and takes more energy.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog

I know exactly the drop you're talking about. I hit it at speed, by accident, on a pre-run but used it to pass four guys in the race playing follow the leader around it. I heard someone follow me and he let out an "Oh sh!t".

I really enjoyed the jumps on the final single track. Yeehaaaaaa!

You didn't hit it during the race!?

I followed a fast riding buddy through that whole section and it forced me to move quick to keep up (which I couldn't)...so come race day, the faster the better. I figured it slowed up some less comfortable DH'ers behind me.

I caught the first peleton on the single track section without working very hard that left me with enough energy to make the single track climb after crossing the fire road.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by sallen
    Sport Men 25-29
    13th @ 1:35:56

This course was tons of fun, even better while trading lines with Rumpfy mid course. Pre-ride was a must for this. I even made it down those freakin sandtraps they called downhill sections. Some of them were DEEP! Especially for a not-so-technical rider.

Dude, you killed it! We cIeaned just about every section.

Pacing each other mid course was fun. It's every man for himself out there, but it's cool to have a team mate close by for support.
    -eric-

It's about showing up.

Who says cycling's not a team sport!

Unfortunately illness claimed several of our riders and they had to return home. Having buds on the course is valuable. Our kids relied on each other on the course during challenging times. For those who had to go it alone being steady and relying upon their training and race plans got them through. There were definelty some lessons learned and some great memories created.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Unfortunately illness claimed several of our riders and they had to return home. Having buds on the course is valuable. Our kids relied on each other on the course during challenging times. For those who had to go it alone being steady and relying upon their training and race plans got them through. There were definelty some lessons learned and some great memories created.

Yeah, I saw a lot of high school mtb team shirts and jerseys there, kids from the CCCX.

Speaking of which, the most exciting racing I've seen was when the high school series came to CCCX this year. Flat out the most fun racing to watch. We saw it last year at CCCX and it was every bit as good this year.

I guess Michael Keaton has a kid who races? He was at CCCX and I saw him at Sea Otter on Sunday too.
    -eric-

enter and win

bex turn..

the good: 2nd place DH women 40 plus ( Go Celia!), 4th place DH hardtail women, and the podium represented 4 decades: me 40s, Monica 30s, Nova 20s and Britt the teenager which is sorta cool, and my very hard-earned 5th place in the beg. women 45-49, my second XC race since heart surgery April '04 and my first race ever since pretty gnarly foot surgery Nov. 05. Wheeee!!!!

Also good: swoopy bermy singletrack in the XC and telling chicks to go faster and pedal and they actually did (don't worry, I was nice) passing about a million clydesdales on climbs, the byotchin sandy DH areas, LOVED THEM long time!! and putting it into the big ring and crouching down for a full on sprint finish at the end, hope my Mom was proud cuz I was doing it all for her.... chatting with Mark Weir about putting my new nomad together and how sweet a ride that is, getting a place to stay in Downieville,also good was camping and the best filet mignon I ever had in my life, seeing about a thousand of my racing friends in the DH and XC world, my venue friends, making new friends, meeting MTBR faces hiding behind all these screen names, hearing people yell for me to pin it!!! and go faster in my DH runs, making clean runs both times, the timing people in the tent squeezing me in, the full on family atmosphere and Monica teaching us belly dancing at the top of the DH, having great bike mojo both bikes and only droppin the chain once on the XC, having Lesley my bestest friend forever passing me on the XC and winning a medal too, cool swag, buying awesome shorts that say "harlot" on them, and if there's anything I forgot it's all there in spirit.

the bad? some things never change: disorganization and mismanagement of DH timing, runs, and awards.....yeah, after nine years, must be like childbirth or something, for I seem to forget all the BS and keep coming back for more suffering and waiting...

the ugly? icky rain and smelly mud.

That's the story I'm gonna stick with, thanks for your encouragement. It is very well appreciated. Racing is FUN!!!!

cyclemaven.net

What a Great Time!

Beg/Sport Single speed Female
    7th place of 9
    2:22
    First mtb race
    First Sea Otter
    My theme for my first Sea Otter was an indelible smile. (I have that same smile when I ride my single speed.)

Nervously standing at the starting line with a few other gals from MTBR, I didnít realize how over-excited I was. All that extra energy at the start would cost me later. The announcer has us count down from 10 9 8Ö..
    And weíre off! The entirety of the pack just pulls out way in front of me on the track! Wow, were they moving fast. I have a quick chat with a guy from New Hampshire, a gal on a Niner SS and then, Iím at the singletrack. The singletracks are smooth and swoopy with occasional mud puddles. Super fun. Follow this by a great downhill straight-a-way on a steep fireroad. Soon enough The menís beginner classes start catching up to me. Theyíre blasting by me on the singletrack climb, parts of which I knew Iíd have to run, but trying to do so and stay out of their way. Most were nice about it. One guy brushed my shoulder as he went by me on a fireroad climb, not hard, but I didnít expect it. Next thing I know, some form of shriek is coming out of mouth that would scare my Avid Juicy 7s! Oops

I took the sandy beaches slowly, because my challenge was to stay on the bike, which I did. The muddy swamps were no problem for me because I run flat pedals. The three b#$%%s section, well it hurt being so far into the race. I definitely would have made these climbs had I had a good breakfast. But I didnít, so I had to walk parts, or break for a quick count of thirty. This was the biggest disappointment. While walking some of these hills, I go back and forth with this other SSer, whose at about the same pace as me. It was nice having someone else going about the same pace.

At the very end, friends and hubby were around the last muddy switchback, with wonderful screams of encouragement. But I was so burnt by that point. I just didnít have the energy to keep going. I turn up the switchback and thereís Hollywood decked out in nothing more than tighty whities, wedgie in full bloom, running up the path in front of me and pointing at his a$$ to further assist in inspiration! Laughing giggling smiling, I made it up that final push. Now itís just onto the track and Iím home free! I give that final push for the crowd (how can you not), look up and see 3:07. Aww, ****, thatís not too good, I think. Then I realize that thatís the clock that was set from the beginning of the race, so remove 45 minutes for a time of 2:22. Oh, thatís actually not bad for me under these conditions.

Highlights:
    Having the best, most supportive husband in the world show up for me in sooo many ways.
    Riding w/ Impy, aosty, fred-da-trog, obi-one, and smw.
    Working the mtbr booth, and meeting everyone, getting the chance to hang out with some really wonderful people.
    Oggling bikes and components.
    Oh yeah, and the race was fun too.
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    [QUOTE=Rumpfy]You didn't hit it during the race!?QUOTE]

Hit that li'l beotch full on and stuck the landing. Not so sure about the fella behind me, though.
    Last edited by fred-da-trog; 04-10-2006 at 10:55 PM.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

VRC Illuminati
    [QUOTE=fred-da-trog]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    You didn't hit it during the race!?QUOTE]

Hit that li'l beotch full on and stuck the landing. Not so sure about the fella behind me, though.

Haha, nice!
    -eric-

Uncle

I had completely forgotten about TightyWhitey Man!

I think I said, "Nice..." with a laugh, and eased up just enough for some guy to hammer past me around the race track bend. This pass was made by a guy that had been on my tail along the last STDH, and he finally passed me around that bend. He went by with authority, but I chased him down just as we crossed the finish.

Great way to wrap up a good ride. TightyWhiteyMan, you're an inspiration... to someone, somewhere... maybe. But at least a good laugh for the rest of us.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Ouch, hope he's back to normal now.

Sean
    He's friends with Francis - who said he was normal to begin with ?

Hope Roy is OK...
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Feeling a little taller
    Sport 35-39
    80-somethingth
    2:06 + change

Only having had 3 hours or so of sleep is no way to start a race. It took forever to feel warmed up and my legs felt sluggish for a long time.

I cleaned the drop on the downhill that everyone keeps talking about with a small tail whip to straighten out the landing and the water bars were too much fun to be believed. I figured if I was going to be slow, I might as well have some fun.

I was not able to clean the first witch in reverse or for that matter most of the singletrack uphill. My legs wanted no part of spinning a bike up these sections but apparently had no problem jogging it.

It wasn't until the middle of the course on a long downhill that I started to loosen up and put some speed into things. Following that, I felt good on the climbs - standing in tallish gears and BMX pumping up fireroads and pavement.

The mud pit towards the end was the only unintentional off-bike experience. I saw it coming and unclipped my right foot in preparation. I had tried to go around it but slid right into it. As the front wheel sank, I jumped over the bars and ran out my decel. The bike had flipped into the mud after the pit and slid so I didn't have too far to go back and get it. Thanks for the technique, Biker Fox!

After CX'ing a remount, I stayed on the bike for the remainder. jrm and Crashmaster cheered me on on my final stretch up Skyline to the finish and by then I was feeling warmed up.

I cranked to the top, down the singletrack to the turn at the New Hurl Hill and continued up onto the track. I really liked the track to trail transitions this year in comparison to last year.

I felt good - no cramping - which I attribute to Cytomax Pre-formance.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

swag ho Administrator
    This is from my other friend (who didn't knock himself unconscious). He's Red Felix and seeing him train and race is getting a glimpse into a pure racer. He only started training for this on February but his focus and discipline is amazing. We would do a hellish 60 mile road ride in the cold. As we all head home, he goes to his truck and eats a sandwich before heading out to ride for a few more hours.

He did three races over the weekend. Three!!! On Saturday, he rode so hard he threw up on the finish line in a losing effort.

On Sunday, after the race I've never seen him happier. Enjoy. francois

----------------------------
    Posted by Red on April 11, 2006 at 01:53:11:

Short Track - Sport (Friday)1st: After checking the course the day before, I was intimidated by the muddy course and even tried to switch to road circuit race instead. Fortunately, the circuit race was all full and I'm now forced to ride the mud. The race condition was terrible and the whole entire race I'm trying to keep my bike up as there were no lines to follow. I started in 5th position on the first turn and tried to follow others to see if I could follow their line. I moved to 3rd on the second lap and tried to close the gap to 1st and 2nd but I kept getting chainsuck due to mud accumulation. I put it in the front big ring to keep my chain stretched thus solving my chainsuck problem. I inched my way to the two leaders on every inclined paved section and caught the 2nd on the 3rd lap and got the lead before the final lap. I was very happy after I realized the I won as I always come up short on Sea Otter races. I have podiumed several times but finally got my first winner's jersey that I've always wanted after 10 years of racing Sea Otter.

Road Race - Cat 4 (Saturday)7th: This race was a little disappointing for me because this is were I thought I would do better as I spend 90% of my bike time on the road. Before the start, my strategy was to stay on others' wheel, save energy and take it on the uphill finish. The race went pretty well for 3 laps until the fourth lap when a group of 4 strong climbers put about 15 sec. gap after a major climb (The Wall). I was on 2nd position on the chase thinking if I would join the breakaway or bring them back. I decided to bring them back but also at the same time burned some energy with the chase group. On the final accent to the finish with about 15-20 riders on the peleton, 2 guys attacked on one side and I decided to join them. I tried to stay with them as long as I could, but the road got steeper and they started to stand up and put the hammer down. I tried to match them but my legs seized and I felt the electricity all over my lower body. I had to stop pedaling for a brief moment before I was able to pedal again. By this time the group caught me and I tried as hard as I could to stay in top 10. Unfortunately, the podium is only up 5 places this year unlike past years. Anyway, I have no excuse for blowing this race as I should know better by now on what to do. I could say that better climbers beat me on this race.

MTB Cross Country - Sport 35-39 (Sunday)1st: Coming to this race I had low expectations considering the big effort I put in the day before. My plan was spin more and hope not to cramp again. The race started pretty fast as usual to any MTB race. Eric (Morgan Stanley) set up a very fast tempo from the gun. I was second behind him on the first long climb. He has about 20 sec. gap on me but I could still see him from the distance. He put on a massive pace that shattered the whole group including Jocelyn's Bicycle 5 strongman group that dominates the CCCX series. They are usually the ones that set the blistering pace until their leader (Mark?) takes over towards the end. Mark from Jocelyn caught me on the downhill and I have to ride very aggressive to keep up on him and he keeps putting gaps on me on every single tracks but I noticed that I am better on him on uphill as we were climbing a long single track. I told him to push the pace harder as I can no longer see Eric but he kept the same pace. I asked him twice to let me set pace because Eric is a very fast rider but he won't let me pass. I passed him by force on single track climb and he even said "f###ing ass" on me as I almost knocked him off balance during the process. I finally caught Eric and worked with him a little bit to put a bigger gap on Jocelyn's rider. When we hit another long climb I dropped Eric and was in the lead! On the long downhill and twisty single tracks, Mark from Jocelyn's caught and passe me and I tried my best to keep him in sight. I would close the gap on every hills but he keeps pulling away on downhills. I just kept to myself to do everything to keep him close before the final long climb as I knew the advantage would be on my side. As I was climbing the final accent, I passed him. I was already celebrating, relaxing and even giving Roy a number 1 sign as he was taking pictures. I crossed the finish line with my arm in the air and feeling great that I just won my first Sea Otter cross country race. Finishing time was 1:29:55.

Here's Red on the final climb shortly after taking the lead. He knew he had cracked these guys that were beating him all year.

Last edited by francois; 04-11-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Paper or plastic?
    The Tropa guys are a damn fast group. Was Jimmy racing?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

smw
    pedal pusher
    That sounds like an outstanding weekend of racing, congrats.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

pewpewpew Moderator
    SS women beg/sport 5th place

No asthma attack this year! Woo!
    Sandy downhills rock!
    If you passed me I told you to "go git 'em!"

Cathy from OC was my companion through the whole race. I would think I was pulling away and then I'd hear a demure clearing of her throat (she was getting over a cold) right behind me. Those 29 inch wheels followed me everywhere! It was a lot of fun chatting with her and it made the race even more fun!

My orthopod told me I wasn't allowed to race SS 3 weeks ago. Oops.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    i did my first short track in junior 15-16 sport and got 9nth
    i raced begginer xc and got 2nd

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by natebyrom
    i did my first short track in junior 15-16 sport and got 9nth
    i raced begginer xc and got 2nd
    Nice work Nate!

Podium always feels good.

That short track was a mess to watch. I might have to try it next year.
    -eric-

It's about showing up.

Congrats, Nate. Great Race.

Great Norcal Rep.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I can relate to thinking you're pulling away from Cathy in OC (in Sagebrush)....but I ride with gears.

My ride report:
    On the way up to the Sea Otter, Greg reads the description of Short Track out-loud, turns to me and says "you should do that". So, I signed up for it (you'd think that I'd learn about following suggestions from other mtbr's a long time ago--when I discovered that "there's only one big hill" means that I'll be scrambling up hills for the entire ride).

AFTER signing up for the Short Track, I saw the course. What the hell was I thinking--or not thinking (goes to show how much of a beginner I really am to this race stuff).

What a blast that ride was! Just before starting, it started to rain--woohoo! I had thought about trying cyclocross (turns out I don't really want to race in that stuff though). Around the first corner I slid off my seat and tri-podded up the little hill, first ride/kindergarten style. Slid around the rest of that lap (either on my bike or on foot) On the last lap ( we girls were smart and voted to only do 2), I was taking it a bit slow, as I had slid off of my line and onto the bad one, when I hit a hidden whoop (the track was pretty much hidden by mud). From what I heard, it was a beautiful slow motion endo right into the mud. In case you were wondering, they seem to let sheep graze (and excrete) on that field. Mmmmm, smelling like flowers, I finished the race gasping for air (the rain seemed to stop at that point, allowing the smell to linger). Can't wait to try that again...

Cross-country was a bit less eventful, a bit less muddy--though still muddy and full of boggy stop-pits (they stopped me anyway).

Yet, still managed to get 2nd in both. Special thanks to John, Greg, and Ashlie for their support
    Last edited by Chelle; 04-11-2006 at 06:12 PM.

ballbuster

Some assorted pix:

sorry, I posted pix, but didn't realize they were 400k each. Sorry dial up folks! Imonna re-post them at a proper web size.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 04-12-2006 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member

Woops

I did'nt see this thread till after I put together my race report

Sea Otter Road & Mtb Race Report: What The Fock!!!!

Bottom line is I got 6th place in the expert 45-59 class and 5th place in the Cat 5 40+ Circuit race
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2