Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    924

    Post your CCCX #3 Race Reports Here

    I had a great time, how about you?

  2. #2
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    924

    I talked Keith into a podium spot

    During the race start, Keith announces how many spots in each category. Sport Men 45-54 medaled 5 deep in the first two races. I may have missed something in his pre-race announcements…

    I had a great warmup lap and also did 20 min on the trainer afterwards to stay nice and warm. The start was fast as usual to the singletrack, and I really made a consicious effort to push the entire race. Out of the saddle climbs, the whole nine yards.

    During the second lap, on the big climb, I saw the leader look back and thought to myself, maybe I have a chance. So, I put my head down, hammered up the hill, and he was long gone at the top. He mentioned afterwards, that he gassed it on the left past the trail boulders. I kept grinding away, trying to close the gap.

    I had no energy on the 3rd lap, everytime I got out of the saddle, I could barely turn the cranks over. I got passed by a couple of guys in my group, as I took multiple shots of Hammer Gel and swigs of Accelerade to fill up the tank. Thankfully, the stuff works, and I was able to pass a couple of riders, including one in my group, on the last lap.

    I finished 4th , went to the timer's booth to request my medal, only to find out that awards were 3 deep this race. I waited for Keith to return from the Pro/Expert race start, asked him about the awards, and he decided to medal our group 5 deep.

    Thanks Keith

  3. #3
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,272

    Congrats on your effort.

    and a special congrats to Keith for being such a stand-up guy. Gotta love that.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeffh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,305
    CCCX Race 3

    grrrah riding this weekend for team Kenda sweeps the field in beginning men 19-34 at CCCX race 3. After hammering the leader for the first lap and keeping the pressure on at a critical hill climb, the leader drops a chain and grrrah powers a big gear on for the win!.

    Well my race started off ok, beginning men 45-55, heading up the road I was running in about 8th when we hit the dirt, with my Niner SS up against the geared bikes. By the end of the first half mile in the dirt I had moved up to second and was feeling good. I was trying to hang on to a fast, Scotts Valley Cycle Sport rider Steve Germany, he was hammering today.

    About mile into lap two I made a move on Steve and just tried to put my head down and go. Things appeared to be going well, I was trying to push the climbs as best I could and make time on the geared bikes. On some of the down hill corners my new Stans Crow rear was sliding a bit and all I could think was, I must be flying! But then that sliding turned ugly and became a rear end wallow and all I could think of was “FLAT”. I started to get some rim hits and the next thing I know three or four riders fly by.

    The tire was staying on the rim, but I had to ride standing to nurse the bike back to the start finish area. When I got to the top of hill above the finish area rensho was there taking photos and I called over that I was flatting and he ran for the pump!

    As I headed into the tight 180 degree turn by the finish area the tire started to roll off the rim. At this point I just unclipped, picked up the bike and ran, rensho aired my tire up, there was Stan’s sealant all over tire and wheel but it did bead up. I headed out for my 3rd lap just thinking my day was done but I did pass a few people and the tire was holding.

    When I came into the finish, to my surprise I was in third and still holding onto the points lead in the class. Thank You rensho for being quick with the pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    bikerbert
    Reputation: bikerbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,071
    I just re-read your post, and realized you medaled! Great job, you've done an awesome job from the first race through medaling yesterday!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ibikergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    241

    More MTBR's Photos

    Rensho and I got some photos of other MTBRs having fun at the CCCX races this weekend.

    1. rj2
    2. MunchkinSS??
    3. Aussie Bob
    4. Me, ibikergal
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffh
    CCCX Race 3

    grrrah riding this weekend for team Kenda sweeps the field in beginning men 19-34 at CCCX race 3. After hammering the leader for the first lap and keeping the pressure on at a critical hill climb, the leader drops a chain and grrrah powers a big gear on for the win!.
    Thanks! But I was actually sponsored by whatever clean jersey I had left! I was riding well, just trying to stay with the lead group of 4 of us. By the second lap there were just two of us, and we were sorta working together to put as much space between us and third. When he dropped his chain at the start of the last lap, I wasn't sure what to do (first time ever leading a race), so I caught up to someone that had passed us previously (35-44 winner?), and started pacing off of him. When we got to the top biggest climb, I looked back, and the #2 guy was only about 30 yards behind me. Knowing that he must have worked hard to close the gap, once I crested the top and hit the singletrack, I passed the guy I was pacing off of and gassed it without looking back all the way until I dropped into the final stretch. One last look back, and I saw no one, and I knew I was home free! WooHoo! First win!!

    Jeff, next week its definately your turn!

    Rensho - Thanks for taking those sweet photos!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MunchkinSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    141
    yup, #263 was me!

    official race report to follow...but here's my initial thoughts:

    the course was SS friendly so I'm glad I opted for my SS, not fun starting out on a flat and hitting the single track in dead last place. I was able to pass a few women early on the course, until the hill climb when I heard "click, click, click" behind me. yeah, they've got granny gears and are using them. lovely.

    surprising no issues or mechanicals on the course. I realized 26" wheels would have been better than my 29" wheels, I would have spent less energy generating momentum as the course was not at all technical.

    I ended up with 2nd place medal, simply b/c there weren't many women in my category.

    great meeting the rest of the mtbr crew at Passion Trail Bikes on Sat night!
    "You want on the Rutgers bandwagon? Don't bother. There's no room."

  9. #9
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,586

    Then my bike went all Sturmy-Archer

    I arrived for my race @ 11am to see the MTB'r contingent collected around a couple uncoperative tubeless tire set-ups. Talked with Thomas and Jeff, was offered a wonderful CC cookie, registered and cheered for a couple aquaintences racing Sport and Clydesdale. I did a practice lap and found the course was basically the same as the first race's, which meant a longer elapsed time with more climbing than the previous race. And since it was lots warmer than the previous race on this course, I expected higher fatigue rate late in the race.
    I lined up with the other 45-54 experts behind the 34-45's and we were off FAST. I couldn't and didn't want to hold the early pace of the leader: I was planning a long MTB ride Sunday; and it looked like it was too hot and windy to hold that pace for 5 laps. After the usual first lap mixing and matching, I found myself running second in class with a "Cling-on" shadowing me for third. I would attack the descents and corners, gap my shadow and ease up on the climbs to conserve energy and let third place spin back up to my tail - I figured the extra energy expenditure would eventually cook him @ the fourth lap. I had three bottles with me, lots of snacks and was having a blast - it's a really entertaining course.
    "Kevin the Cling-on" pulled through @ the middle of the second lap, and we went through scoring to start the third, with him leading and trying to open a gap. I fell back a hundred yards and waited for the more technical sections of the course to pull him back. I caught and passed Kev on the downhill leading into the base of the course's longest and steepest climb. And then my Dos Niner went all Sturmy-Archer on me, as I downshifted my rear thumbie to the middle/low combination [30x27] the rear deraileur cable promptly snapped off at the SHIFTER end! A first, ever. Juuuust Suuuuper. Though completely useless after that, the shifter sure ratched smoooothly after that.
    Kev extended his condolensces and bopped on up the hill ahead of me. I did a damage assesment and contemplated dropping out. I decided I'd paid of for five laps, and I have huge personal distaste for DNF's and continued on. So much for energy conservation for tomorrow's ride. Reduced to "Be Home By Eleven": a 20x11 with a nasty skip and and a scorching case of Suck Me/Cross-chainitis; a 30x11; or 42x11, I ran the steep climbs and toggled between the 30 and 42 up front for the next two and a half laps. Nice.
    As I was getting passed along the way, I got a couple "Bummer"s and "Are you Okay"s - Thank you, very kind of you to ask. And my favorite, as I passed a couple people back on the downhills, "Dude, do you know your rear shift cable is out of the stops and rubbing your spokes?" Really! Maybe that's why nothing happens when I do THIS - as I violently ratcheted the shifter back and forth. "Oh, sorry man".
    And then mercifully, it was down to the last half lap, and from a spot on a downhill, the last steep climb ahead is visible, and there was Kev just suffering like a dog, twirling squares up the last steep hill. I yelled out "Come On Kevin, damn it GO!".
    I ran the last hill, ground out the the last flat section and downhill into the timing/finish line. I climbed off at the end of that fifth lap and said thanks to Keith for the great event and course. And Keith told me, "You got third, man. Here's your medal". Thanks, why don't you keep it for someone else Keith - you've got expenses. "Nope, I've got tons, you earned it". Thanks Keith, you're very kind. And I'm FRIED. I looked for Kevin to congratule him, but he'd disappeared.
    I woke Sunday @ 6am for my 8am ride and commented to my Co-inhabitant in Sin, "Ya know I'm feeling a little stale today". My ride Sunday became my personal re-enactment of the Bataan Death March. I made it through 45 miles and 6000 feet of climbing with the help of a moderate pace and a merciful riding companion.
    And that was my CCCX #3 race weekend. It was great.

  10. #10
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    924

    Poison Oak testing results

    No knee or leg warmers this race as it finally warmed up. Slathered them with Ivy Block minutes before the race and off we go. My arms, covered with warmers, were another story.

    I tried Ivy Block before, with mixed results. It seems I was too cheap with prior applications. As I warmed up during the race, I removed my arm warmers from my "control" skin. Two days later, PO on my arms, and none on my legs.

    After the race, I washed my arms and legs with Poison Oak Soap from Paradise Road Soap Co. After I returned home, I also used Zanfel and Tecnu on my arms. The outbreak is mostly controlled at this point. Another change from my last attempt at PO damage control is applying Infinite Aloe lotion afterwards.

    Next race, I'll wear white arm warmers or a long sleeve jersey. And no, the Poison Oak Soap, doesn't contain PO.

  11. #11
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,334
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    I arrived for my race @ 11am to see the MTB'r contingent collected around a couple uncoperative tubeless tire set-ups. Talked with Thomas and Jeff, was offered a wonderful CC cookie, registered and cheered for a couple aquaintences racing Sport and Clydesdale. I did a practice lap and found the course was basically the same as the first race's, which meant a longer elapsed time with more climbing than the previous race. And since it was lots warmer than the previous race on this course, I expected higher fatigue rate late in the race.
    I lined up with the other 45-54 experts behind the 34-45's and we were off FAST. I couldn't and didn't want to hold the early pace of the leader: I was planning a long MTB ride Sunday; and it looked like it was too hot and windy to hold that pace for 5 laps. After the usual first lap mixing and matching, I found myself running second in class with a "Cling-on" shadowing me for third. I would attack the descents and corners, gap my shadow and ease up on the climbs to conserve energy and let third place spin back up to my tail - I figured the extra energy expenditure would eventually cook him @ the fourth lap. I had three bottles with me, lots of snacks and was having a blast - it's a really entertaining course.
    "Kevin the Cling-on" pulled through @ the middle of the second lap, and we went through scoring to start the third, with him leading and trying to open a gap. I fell back a hundred yards and waited for the more technical sections of the course to pull him back. I caught and passed Kev on the downhill leading into the base of the course's longest and steepest climb. And then my Dos Niner went all Sturmy-Archer on me, as I downshifted my rear thumbie to the middle/low combination [30x27] the rear deraileur cable promptly snapped off at the SHIFTER end! A first, ever. Juuuust Suuuuper. Though completely useless after that, the shifter sure ratched smoooothly after that.
    Kev extended his condolensces and bopped on up the hill ahead of me. I did a damage assesment and contemplated dropping out. I decided I'd paid of for five laps, and I have huge personal distaste for DNF's and continued on. So much for energy conservation for tomorrow's ride. Reduced to "Be Home By Eleven": a 20x11 with a nasty skip and and a scorching case of Suck Me/Cross-chainitis; a 30x11; or 42x11, I ran the steep climbs and toggled between the 30 and 42 up front for the next two and a half laps. Nice.
    As I was getting passed along the way, I got a couple "Bummer"s and "Are you Okay"s - Thank you, very kind of you to ask. And my favorite, as I passed a couple people back on the downhills, "Dude, do you know your rear shift cable is out of the stops and rubbing your spokes?" Really! Maybe that's why nothing happens when I do THIS - as I violently ratcheted the shifter back and forth. "Oh, sorry man".
    And then mercifully, it was down to the last half lap, and from a spot on a downhill, the last steep climb ahead is visible, and there was Kev just suffering like a dog, twirling squares up the last steep hill. I yelled out "Come On Kevin, damn it GO!".
    I ran the last hill, ground out the the last flat section and downhill into the timing/finish line. I climbed off at the end of that fifth lap and said thanks to Keith for the great event and course. And Keith told me, "You got third, man. Here's your medal". Thanks, why don't you keep it for someone else Keith - you've got expenses. "Nope, I've got tons, you earned it". Thanks Keith, you're very kind. And I'm FRIED. I looked for Kevin to congratule him, but he'd disappeared.
    I woke Sunday @ 6am for my 8am ride and commented to my Co-inhabitant in Sin, "Ya know I'm feeling a little stale today". My ride Sunday became my personal re-enactment of the Bataan Death March. I made it through 45 miles and 6000 feet of climbing with the help of a moderate pace and a merciful riding companion.
    And that was my CCCX #3 race weekend. It was great.

    Awesome write-up. Sorry I couldn't make the Sunday ride. I had to entertain some out-of-towners. As one guy got his 6th mechanical though, I thought. I should be with JMS and Paul right now...

    fc
    IPA will save America

  12. #12
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    924

    Race results available here


  13. #13
    menace to myself & others
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    350

    Worst. Race. Ever.

    Ah, god, what a day of firsts (you can pretty much imagine this guy sprinkled throughout the rest of this post):

    Here are the ones I knew going in:
    My first race in almost a year.
    My first race since having my appendix burst and losing 30 lbs in a week.
    My first race since going on anti-thyroid medication.
    My first time on my mountain bike in like a month.
    My first ride with anyone faster than me in that time.
    My first Sport race.

    Here're some I didn't expect:
    My first race in the bottom half of my category.
    My first race where I ended up not racing, but merely fighting to survive, and most importantly,
    My first race where I didn't have fun

    I knew I wasn't in great shape coming in. I figured I'd go out, race a little, maybe shoot for top half of the field, treat the whole thing mostly as a training exercise.

    heh.

    I started to expect trouble when I started spacing out on the starting line. The whistle blew for us (Sport 35+), and we were off. I saw Datenschwantz take off, shooting for the hole position, but I ended up on the dirt about halfway back, and proceeded to fall back as the race went along.

    Ironically, this was my first race ever without either a crash or a mechanical, but from the time I rubbed wheels with the guy in front of me on the first lap, things started going downhill (and not in the don't-have-to-pedal, gravity-helps-you kind of way, either).

    I am normally a pretty good climber, but when I started losing ground on the uphills on even the first lap, I knew I was toast. Essentially every time I got above 7/10, I just could not recover.

    At the end of the first lap I was convinced I would never finish the race. At the end of the second, I was pretty sure I'd never finish the race. Of course, by the end of the third, I was sure I was going to finish. I even chased down two guys ahead of me, and even passed one (first time that'd happened in like a lap and a half) on the little rise over the start/finish. I put him out of sight pretty quickly, but half the lap later when he came back by me, I had nothing for him.

    I ended up limping in 19th of (I think) 23. Glad not to be last, glad to be done, but most of all, glad to have survived.



    Cautionary tale: Y'know the thing about how you're not supposed to use new equipment at a race? It turns out that equipment you used just once last year at a race is also probably a bad idea. I hit on the idea of using a small ski-type camelback last year at a race, since I figured I didn't need a full-on 100oz of water for an 80-min race. Unfortunately, because it's designed for skiing, it has a very long drinking tube. Last year when I used it I managed to twist the tube up so it was handy to my mouth. This time I was not. I managed to not be able to drink from the thing for the first lap or two, then when I did finally get to it, I pulled off the bite valve, not once but twice. The second time, I just kept the end in my mouth and finished what was left (since I'd already poured half of it down my back). Argh.
    Last edited by sashax; 03-06-2007 at 09:58 AM.

  14. #14
    rj2
    rj2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rj2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    924

    Ringer sighted in Sport 45-54

    It's official, Dennis Pedersen from SCCCC, is our winner. He's 3 for 3, and won the last race by almost 6 minutes.

    He wasn't even ready to ride 30 min prior to the last race.

    You've earned your upgrade. Now quit slumming in sport and give the rest of us a chance at ringerdom.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DennistheMennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    It's official, Dennis Pedersen from SCCCC, is our winner. He's 3 for 3, and won the last race by almost 6 minutes.

    He wasn't even ready to ride 30 min prior to the last race.

    You've earned your upgrade. Now quit slumming in sport and give the rest of us a chance at ringerdom.
    Well, just to set the record straight:

    I won by only 17 seconds at #1, and 6 seconds at #2, so I can milk that for a few more races. I think. But I don't know how to spin #3 where I won by 3 minutes and 48 seconds though... I'll think of something! Oh, how about: I still am slower than the fastest 35-44 Sport racers?

    I am having fun though. After racing more or less since 1996 with only one win ever (Beginners at CCCX #1 in 2005), it's pretty cool to be accused of sandbagging!

  16. #16
    bike dork extraordinaire
    Reputation: sirkrameroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by sashax
    Ah, god, what a day of firsts (you can pretty much imagine this guy sprinkled throughout the rest of this post):

    Here are the ones I knew going in:
    My first race in almost a year.
    My first race since having my appendix burst and losing 30 lbs in a week.
    My first race since going on anti-thyroid medication.
    My first time on my mountain bike in like a month.
    My first ride with anyone faster than me in that time.
    My first Sport race.

    Here're some I didn't expect:
    My first race in the bottom half of my category.
    My first race where I ended up not racing, but merely fighting to survive, and most importantly,
    My first race where I didn't have fun

    Nice list of firsts!

    This was my first Sport race also, and boy was the pace tough. I'll second you on the racing to merely survive, rather than trying to place. After the first lap I was out of contention, and by the beginning of the fourth lap it was survival mode, having bonked hard. If it wasn't for the gel I put in my pocket, I probably wouldn't have finished.

    So, 9th place out of 9 finishing racers it was for me. Which does give me a nice new goal for next week: not finishing DFL!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    hey mr aquaintences were did you get a 30t middle ring is it 104 4 bolt let me know that sounds like a nice recovery ride the next day you only did 45 miles i laid on the couch you sound like his guy i knew that ran top mt shifters is it you
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    I arrived for my race @ 11am to see the MTB'r contingent collected around a couple uncoperative tubeless tire set-ups. Talked with Thomas and Jeff, was offered a wonderful CC cookie, registered and cheered for a couple aquaintences racing Sport and Clydesdale. I did a practice lap and found the course was basically the same as the first race's, which meant a longer elapsed time with more climbing than the previous race. And since it was lots warmer than the previous race on this course, I expected higher fatigue rate late in the race.
    I lined up with the other 45-54 experts behind the 34-45's and we were off FAST. I couldn't and didn't want to hold the early pace of the leader: I was planning a long MTB ride Sunday; and it looked like it was too hot and windy to hold that pace for 5 laps. After the usual first lap mixing and matching, I found myself running second in class with a "Cling-on" shadowing me for third. I would attack the descents and corners, gap my shadow and ease up on the climbs to conserve energy and let third place spin back up to my tail - I figured the extra energy expenditure would eventually cook him @ the fourth lap. I had three bottles with me, lots of snacks and was having a blast - it's a really entertaining course.
    "Kevin the Cling-on" pulled through @ the middle of the second lap, and we went through scoring to start the third, with him leading and trying to open a gap. I fell back a hundred yards and waited for the more technical sections of the course to pull him back. I caught and passed Kev on the downhill leading into the base of the course's longest and steepest climb. And then my Dos Niner went all Sturmy-Archer on me, as I downshifted my rear thumbie to the middle/low combination [30x27] the rear deraileur cable promptly snapped off at the SHIFTER end! A first, ever. Juuuust Suuuuper. Though completely useless after that, the shifter sure ratched smoooothly after that.
    Kev extended his condolensces and bopped on up the hill ahead of me. I did a damage assesment and contemplated dropping out. I decided I'd paid of for five laps, and I have huge personal distaste for DNF's and continued on. So much for energy conservation for tomorrow's ride. Reduced to "Be Home By Eleven": a 20x11 with a nasty skip and and a scorching case of Suck Me/Cross-chainitis; a 30x11; or 42x11, I ran the steep climbs and toggled between the 30 and 42 up front for the next two and a half laps. Nice.
    As I was getting passed along the way, I got a couple "Bummer"s and "Are you Okay"s - Thank you, very kind of you to ask. And my favorite, as I passed a couple people back on the downhills, "Dude, do you know your rear shift cable is out of the stops and rubbing your spokes?" Really! Maybe that's why nothing happens when I do THIS - as I violently ratcheted the shifter back and forth. "Oh, sorry man".
    And then mercifully, it was down to the last half lap, and from a spot on a downhill, the last steep climb ahead is visible, and there was Kev just suffering like a dog, twirling squares up the last steep hill. I yelled out "Come On Kevin, damn it GO!".
    I ran the last hill, ground out the the last flat section and downhill into the timing/finish line. I climbed off at the end of that fifth lap and said thanks to Keith for the great event and course. And Keith told me, "You got third, man. Here's your medal". Thanks, why don't you keep it for someone else Keith - you've got expenses. "Nope, I've got tons, you earned it". Thanks Keith, you're very kind. And I'm FRIED. I looked for Kevin to congratule him, but he'd disappeared.
    I woke Sunday @ 6am for my 8am ride and commented to my Co-inhabitant in Sin, "Ya know I'm feeling a little stale today". My ride Sunday became my personal re-enactment of the Bataan Death March. I made it through 45 miles and 6000 feet of climbing with the help of a moderate pace and a merciful riding companion.
    And that was my CCCX #3 race weekend. It was great.

  18. #18
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,334
    Quote Originally Posted by DennistheMennis
    Well, just to set the record straight:

    I won by only 17 seconds at #1, and 6 seconds at #2, so I can milk that for a few more races. I think. But I don't know how to spin #3 where I won by 3 minutes and 48 seconds though... I'll think of something! Oh, how about: I still am slower than the fastest 35-44 Sport racers?

    I am having fun though. After racing more or less since 1996 with only one win ever (Beginners at CCCX #1 in 2005), it's pretty cool to be accused of sandbagging!
    themennis finally registers. It only took you 8 years! Good racing man. I think I need to join a team and bike-commute to work like you.

    francois
    IPA will save America

  19. #19
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,334
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    Nice list of firsts!

    This was my first Sport race also, and boy was the pace tough. I'll second you on the racing to merely survive, rather than trying to place. After the first lap I was out of contention, and by the beginning of the fourth lap it was survival mode, having bonked hard. If it wasn't for the gel I put in my pocket, I probably wouldn't have finished.

    So, 9th place out of 9 finishing racers it was for me. Which does give me a nice new goal for next week: not finishing DFL!
    [SIZE=2] Don't turn around, uh-oh-ah
    [/SIZE]
    sirkarmeroy's[SIZE=2] in town, uh-oh[/SIZE][SIZE=2]-ah

    That darn race is fast huh? The body's just not used to that intensity. When I raced, I took some gel and lost three places! It's a great motivational tool though. I'm working on a few things so I hope to race there again.

    fc
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    IPA will save America

  20. #20
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,586

    58 x 94mm

    Quote Originally Posted by motomikec
    hey mr aquaintences were did you get a 30t middle ring is it 104 4 bolt let me know that sounds like a nice recovery ride the next day you only did 45 miles i laid on the couch you sound like his guy i knew that ran top mt shifters is it you
    It's not a 104 bolt circle, the 30t is a five bolt 94mm by Veluta. I run an old Raceface Sq. taper Turbine. Paul's top-mount 9speed speed thumbies. 2005 "Radioactive Frog" green Dos Niner. The 30 Veluta ring is good for about three months of hard riding before it starts developing an insatiable appetite for chains.
    If that's you Mike, I'll be by your shop Tuesday and you looked good out there Sunday.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DennistheMennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    themennis finally registers. It only took you 8 years! Good racing man. I think I need to join a team and bike-commute to work like you.

    francois
    Thanks! I thought I had registered way back when, but perhaps my account got purged when the cobwebs got too thick? You racing again? Loved that sweet Niner of yours. Saving up my pennies now!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153

    Couple more pics:

    1- Clark (SJBC) and Datenschwantz
    2- Rj2
    3- Sirkrameroy
    4- Sasha's first race photo of the year
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Killroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    881
    Super awesome bonkfest that left me with a paralyzing cramp post race, but still finished 4th.

    New "White Power" bike build did fine and dandy.

  24. #24
    bike dork extraordinaire
    Reputation: sirkrameroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    [SIZE=2] Don't turn around, uh-oh-ah
    [/SIZE]
    sirkarmeroy's[SIZE=2] in town, uh-oh[/SIZE][SIZE=2]-ah

    That darn race is fast huh? The body's just not used to that intensity. When I raced, I took some gel and lost three places! It's a great motivational tool though. I'm working on a few things so I hope to race there again.

    fc
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    Nooooooo!! Now I'm going to have bad 80's songs stuck in my head when I ride!

    So... what are these secret training plans you're working on? I could use all the help I can get!

  25. #25
    YESBRO!!!
    Reputation: datenschwanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by DennistheMennis
    Well, just to set the record straight:

    I won by only 17 seconds at #1, and 6 seconds at #2, so I can milk that for a few more races. I think. But I don't know how to spin #3 where I won by 3 minutes and 48 seconds though... I'll think of something! Oh, how about: I still am slower than the fastest 35-44 Sport racers?

    I am having fun though. After racing more or less since 1996 with only one win ever (Beginners at CCCX #1 in 2005), it's pretty cool to be accused of sandbagging!

    Don't let them get to you! Even if you extrapolate your time from four laps into five laps and compared what you would have done (won #1 in expert class) if you'd raced expert I don't think you're sandbagging! You're just WAY, WAY, WAY faster than everyone else in your class.

    Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •