fc
    honcho Administrator

Poison oak is out in force

I went for a ride last week and the poison oak shoots are out in force, much more than last week.

These are those 2-4 foot stacks with juicy red blooms all over them. That's when these plants are most lethal.

So watch out and be very wary. Luckily, it's so cold now that most of our skin is covered by warmers and long sleeves. But treat those clothes with respect as you wash them.

Their advance is thwarted with this cold weather for now. But they're out there in their usual spots

Poison Oak photos and remedies - Mtbr.com

Poison oak is out in force-img_6676.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Good thing I'm immune!

...Is a lie I once told myself...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    With the lack of rain this year i'm surprised how much is popping up all-freakin'-ready!
    Some red-buds like FC's picture and some places full-on green-shiny leaves around Toro & Ord.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Nooo! I somehow managed to go PO free last year, so I'm sure I'm due now.

fc
    honcho Administrator

Poison oak is out in force

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    With the lack of rain this year i'm surprised how much is popping up all-freakin'-ready!
    Some red-buds like FC's picture and some places full-on green-shiny leaves around Toro & Ord.
    Last yearís moisture. You can see how healthy all other plant are.
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Like heaven in a tube.
    Poison oak is out in force-package_20370.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Like heaven in a tube.
    Tru dat. And with my health insurance it's cheaper to get this as a prescription than it is to buy the less effective over the counter remedies.

mtbr member
    Yep its like Visa...

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Like heaven in a tube.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Package_20370.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	1184257
    A tube of that is good for a year or two of repeated exposure.

The key too is having it handy and applying it within hours of contact. Not two days later when it raging after finally going to the doctor and drugstore.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Poison oak is out in force-img_20180218_152435955.jpg

F poison oak.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I firmly believe when the trumpocolypse comes, only the cockroaches and the poison oak will remain.

mtbr member
    FC wrote: "A tube of that is good for a year or two of repeated exposure.

The key too is having it handy and applying it within hours of contact. Not two days later when it raging after finally going to the doctor and drugstore."

Clobetasol is a powerful steroid cream. It is to be used sparingly once itchy bumps appear. It works great at stopping the itching and keeping the inflammation way down. It is not for lathering on after initial PO exposure. That is what Technu, alcohol wipes, or scrubbing with soap and water are for.

Clobetasol (Temovate, Dermatovate, etc.) is powerful and is not without side-effects if you use too much. Definitely do not use it on young children unless absolutely necessary and not without close monitoring by a dermatologist/physician (it can stunt their growth, among other things).

mtbr member
    I just got poison oak. It went through my knee pads. Poison oak has super powers to go through clothing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If we have a wet winter - poison oak comes out in force soon afterwards.

If we have a dry winter - poison oak comes out in force soon afterwards.

Contains no juice.
    Slather not lather, please.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson View Post
    If we have a wet winter - poison oak comes out in force soon afterwards.

If we have a dry winter - poison oak comes out in force soon afterwards.
    It is like cockroach
    IPA will save America

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    I just got poison oak. It went through my knee pads. Poison oak has super powers to go through clothing.
    It was channeling. It will show up in your belly button soon.
    IPA will save America

Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post

Name:	IMG_20180218_152435955.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	1184303

F poison oak.....
    Yes! On my trails I hit it hard with 2% solution of glyphosate. If it is within 15' of the trail it gets nuked!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    it's exactly the same every year. it's everywhere.

i got it on my wrist for the first time ever last year. i think my days of bragging that i was not affected are behind me.

t was very mild, and i had a doctor point it out to me. she said, "oh, looks like you got into some poison oak"
    me, "no way..where? oh that is what the rash looks like?"

it barely itched..just mildly annoying. i'm gonna up my vigilance.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quick question, When I worked doing de-mining and UXO clean-up an ex military guy that was once stationed at Fort Ord told me that the DOD had "weaponized" some poison oak plants around Ord, I assume through selective breeding or gene alteration. Anyone else ever heard of this? Could you imagine doing such a thing and how much worse it could be? I guess the idea was to create an additional layer of security around the fort...just think of the horror if true.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hey Mods, give me my reputation point back, that made me.....sad

climbing optimized
    Sep 2013
    I think the "caution unexploded ordinance" signs do a lot more to discourage tresspassing than PO. When I have been on Ord for bike races I have been extremely reluctant to step off the pavement when making pit stops.

Garlon 4 (triclopyr) works well on PO that is actively growing. It is less toxic to other plants than glyphosphate and does not resude in the ground as long. Mixed in a 20-25% solution with diesel or oil it even works on basal application: spray a foot of trunk and the whole plant dies. Takes very little and is useful when the leaves are 40' up in a tree that you want to keep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Got rewarded for a trail work day with a bit of poison oak on both wrists. Forest service required long sleeves and pants. Must have somehow transferred it from my gloves onto my wrists. We don't have any leaves yet. Just the shoots that look like everything else on the trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Probably been posted before, but having a bunch of small wash cloths specifically for PO washing has done me pretty well.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjerkey View Post

Probably been posted before, but having a bunch of small wash cloths specifically for PO washing has done me pretty well.
    best advice evarrrr
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah, the engine grease for visual really helps get the point across eh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    Quick question, When I worked doing de-mining and UXO clean-up an ex military guy that was once stationed at Fort Ord told me that the DOD had "weaponized" some poison oak plants around Ord, I assume through selective breeding or gene alteration. Anyone else ever heard of this? Could you imagine doing such a thing and how much worse it could be? I guess the idea was to create an additional layer of security around the fort...just think of the horror if true.

-I have heard this before....Pretty gnarly when you think about it.
    I'd say we do have some military-grade oak around Monterey County.
    The sh*t is everywhere!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    That's some crazy sci-fi conspiracy type sh!t right there. I wouldn't put it past our government though, with their 60's LSD experiments and all. I wonder if they are secretly testing it on unsuspecting mountain bikers as they ride by!

Hella Olde
    I'm itching my PO'd calf through my pants with my shoe at work right now and it feels nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    I'm itching my PO'd calf through my pants with my shoe at work right now and it feels nice.
    There's very few things in life that's more satisfying than itching PO

Cheeseburgler

Seriously since watching this video I have started a new routine for my after biking shower when i have been to places where there was lots of oak. It really works, even when i have crashed into a bunch of it. Just have a spare washcloth or two in the shower and scrub the shit out of everywhere with it. I have also used a product called mean green that is meant to remove oil from skin, and that seems to work really well for scrubbing too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    If you havenít scalded your P.O. rash with the hottest water you can stand youíre missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by qtzmznt View Post
    If you havenít scalded your P.O. rash with the hottest water you can stand youíre missing out.
    I've done that to provide relief from an allegic reaction to a badly sunburned chest. It was on of the frew things that helped. Nothing else will drive you out of your quite as bad as that reaction. Makes PO seem pleasant.

Ride On!
    I was stationed at Ft Ord back in the 80's and my secondary MOS was NBC (nuclear, biological & Chemical), heard lots of wild shit kicking it with the other NBC folks at both the battalion and division level and never heard of that one. With that said, I had my first encounter of PO there, I squatted on some taking a dump in the dark Took a shot of steroids to get through it and another two weeks before I could get some from my girlfriend

Ride On!

Used his methods last year with much success!

Elitest thrill junkie
    You should also pee on your skin where you get the rash.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    You should also pee on your skin where you get the rash.
    That's for sea urchin sting. Actually works
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    More to this story but yesterday at Henry Coe I had a PO vine commit suicide in my rear wheel:

Poison oak is out in force-wp_20180223_003.jpg

It made a lunge for my front wheel but got caught up in my rear wheel instead.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    I was stationed at Ft Ord back in the 80's and my secondary MOS was NBC (nuclear, biological & Chemical), heard lots of wild shit kicking it with the other NBC folks at both the battalion and division level and never heard of that one. With that said, I had my first encounter of PO there, I squatted on some taking a dump in the dark Took a shot of steroids to get through it and another two weeks before I could get some from my girlfriend
    LOL! PO stole your manhood. That's just cruel. PO don't give a shų#.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qtzmznt View Post
    Yes. Before pokey oak, I never knew my arm could have an orgasm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    I was just thinking I want to get some knee pads that won't fall apart if I send through the laundry a couple times a week... at least so it won't be the gift that keeps giving.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Saw plenty of PO in Joaquin Miller on Monday. Red leaves and shiny green leaves...and plenty of it.

It's in Granite Bay, too.

It's everywhere, and yet, I'm still one of those people who has never had a rash from it. I used to play in it at my grandparents' place in Orinda and it never bothered me then. I did trail work at Granite Bay a while ago and had to be covered in it...nothing.

That being said, I will never say I'm immune, and no, I don't play in it any more!

bunjinjohn
    Dec 2004

Poison Oak - The gift that keeps on giving!

I got what sure looks to be poison oak and I hadn't ridden anywhere there was any for months. My wife and I are guessing I got it from a jersey I changed into after a ride that I must have put away after trail work without washing it some time last year. It turns out that poison oak's active ingredient, urushiol, can remain active for years! So I guess if you have any doubt that you might have come in contact with poison oak, carefully take off whatever you were wearing that touched it and throw it into the washing machine.

P.S. Years ago on a wilderness area hike we had to push through chest-high poison oak because there was simply no other route. We were prepared with an extra clothing layer that we carefully took off once we were through the poison oak gauntlet. Unfortunately, a couple of people pulled their shirts off over their heads, dragging the urushiol-saturated fabric across their faces. They got it so bad they ended up at the emergency room, their faces so swollen they could hardly see. They really suffered, on top of having to go out in public with calamine lotion slathered all over their faces for a month.

mtbr member
    I've always said/hoped I was immune to it. I was out with MBOSC at DeLaveaga last Monday and apparently I was swimming in it. One of the kids in our group seemed a little worried for me which gave me a bit of anxiety. 8 days in and I'm rash free... I had a friend say his came in 10 days after contact before. Fingers crossed the next few days

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    I've always said/hoped I was immune to it. I was out with MBOSC at DeLaveaga last Monday and apparently I was swimming in it. One of the kids in our group seemed a little worried for me which gave me a bit of anxiety. 8 days in and I'm rash free... I had a friend say his came in 10 days after contact before. Fingers crossed the next few days
    Poison oak always appear within 1-3 days.

Beyond that, specially 10 days, the cause of the reaction is the skin touched a contaminated object, usually clothing. Clothing, shoes, packs, car seats can all retain the poison oak oil for months or longer until washed thoroughly.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Poison oak always appear within 1-3 days.

Beyond that, specially 10 days, the cause of the reaction is the skin touched a contaminated object, usually clothing. Clothing, shoes, packs, car seats can all retain the poison oak oil for months or longer until washed thoroughly.
    Yea my friend also mentioned the car seat...about the only thing I would still be worried about. I just about isolated and cleaned everything else

mtbr member
    After the underbrush was scorched in Annadel, I was hoping the Poison Oak was eradicated. Riding Marsh and 2 Quarry last week, then N. Burma and Live Oak this week, I'm thinking it might come back worse than ever.
    One gear is all you need.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyday View Post
    Yea my friend also mentioned the car seat...about the only thing I would still be worried about. I just about isolated and cleaned everything else
    Yeah, throw any suspects in the wash. For hard to clean places, alcohol or clorox wipes.

One of the harshest things about poison oak is you simply don't know where it is. If anyone invented a 'black light' device to display it, we'd be dialed.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I was descending Canyon Trail (above Stevens Creek Res) in the winter quite fast a few years ago. Washed out on some loose stuff and crashed into some brush/growth on the side of the trail. Didn't think too much of it as no PO leaves were visible, but I found out in a few days that I must have hit some dormant PO "sticks" as I got a good rash on my hip. The oils soaked through the shorts (spandex/roadie) as they weren't ripped or torn.

I had washed all my clothes the normal way and didn't happen to wear those shorts again for two weeks. At that point the previous rash had healed. But I obviously didn't get all the PO juice out of the shorts because two days later I broke out in another rash in the exact same spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregd72 View Post
    I was descending Canyon Trail (above Stevens Creek Res) in the winter quite fast a few years ago. Washed out on some loose stuff and crashed into some brush/growth on the side of the trail. Didn't think too much of it as no PO leaves were visible, but I found out in a few days that I must have hit some dormant PO "sticks" as I got a good rash on my hip. The oils soaked through the shorts (spandex/roadie) as they weren't ripped or torn.

I had washed all my clothes the normal way and didn't happen to wear those shorts again for two weeks. At that point the previous rash had healed. But I obviously didn't get all the PO juice out of the shorts because two days later I broke out in another rash in the exact same spot.
    PO= Poison Oak, right?

Not, Previous Owner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yes, PO = poison oak

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Do you remember if you washed them with cold, warm or hot water? (Laundry machine I assume) I read that cold water doesn't work as well... which is a bummer for high tech kit.

mtbr member
    Yes, PO = poison oak
    Whew!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggs1993 View Post
    Do you remember if you washed them with cold, warm or hot water? (Laundry machine I assume) I read that cold water doesn't work as well... which is a bummer for high tech kit.
    I usually wash in warm water. I think that's what I did that time. After getting it the second time, I washed those shorts in HOT water with lots of soap. Seemed to work.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Yes, PO = poison oak
    Short for POS.

Devil plant
    Last edited by fc; 02-28-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Yeah, shorts with a Previous Owner are just not cool.

Especially those with the PO's juice.

mtbr member
    One of the harshest things about poison oak is you simply don't know where it is. If anyone invented a 'black light' device to display it, we'd be dialed.

I've posted this before. There is a light device that displays the PO oils. But you can't have it...

https://news.ucsc.edu/2012/10/poison-oak.html

I took chemistry class at UCSC from Professor Braslau in the mid 90's. I've asked her for a "free sample", but no dice. Not for public consumption until the chemicals involved are tested for safety. Which may be awhile, or never.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Used his methods last year with much success!
    This is a great video. Thanks for sharing. However, it did not say what one is supposed to do with the wash cloths after each use. I assume the oil will get into the wash cloth. Should the wash cloth be washed in warm water after each use?

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRocco View Post
    This is a great video. Thanks for sharing. However, it did not say what one is supposed to do with the wash cloths after each use. I assume the oil will get into the wash cloth. Should the wash cloth be washed in warm water after each use?
    Burn it with fire!!!

Or just throw it in the wash with a good detergent.
    IPA will save America

Cheeseburgler
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRocco View Post
    I throw it right into the washing machine after a use. Works for me.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post

I've posted this before. There is a light device that displays the PO oils. But you can't have it...

I took chemistry class at UCSC from Professor Braslau in the mid 90's. I've asked her for a "free sample", but no dice. Not for public consumption until the chemicals involved are tested for safety. Which may be awhile, or never.
    Any evidence that this works? Trace mounts on skin, false positives, the whole nine yards. It doesn't seem to be making it out of the lab for some reasons.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    burn it with fire!!!
    just don't breath in the smoke!

mtbr member
    Any evidence that this works? Trace mounts on skin, false positives, the whole nine yards. It doesn't seem to be making it out of the lab for some reasons.
    It works great. But to take it to market will take a large amount of $$ for testing and gov't approvals. The Chemistry dept. at UCSC is not going to do this. They figured it out because they are smart chemists and are happy to have published the results. To bring it to market will require some VC and a motivated entrepreneur. UCSC would get a small cut of the proceeds, of course.

There is a market for this product, for sure. It just needs the right person(s) to make it happen. Interested parties should contact Professor Rebecca Braslau c/o UCSC Chem Dept.

Trail Gnome
    The PO is out of control already...on the trails, and in my yard. I cut a big one down the other day, right at the property line; it must have been 3Ē in diameter...no wonder my neighbor was giving me dirty looks

climbing optimized
    Sep 2013
    Cutting the stem just makes it sprout vigorously from the roots. BTDT. Only poison kills it.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Cutting the stem just makes it sprout vigorously from the roots. BTDT. Only poison kills it.
    Yes and no. This time of year, sure, cutting it off at the stem only seems to encourage it. but hacking it back in fall and/or tearing it out by the roots in winter is a good way to make some headway against it without having to resort to poison.

I have so much of it on my property that it's a winter into spring war of attrition, but the more I am learning about how interdependent the plants and trees are, I try to keep glyphosate use to a carefully restricted minimum and choose my particular battles carefully. It is free to flourish in the canyons where I am not building trail, but if it sprouts on or near the singletrack one way or another it's gonna die.
    hold my beer...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Haven't had the PO for a while now but several years ago I got it pretty good and by happenstance ended up using Technu after a few days as I read I can at least help lessen the effects of it and shorten the duration. For me yes it worked and I was a lot more comfortable w/ it when I applied the Technu. I would just put the Technu en the affected area and go to work and it worked out pretty well and didn't last that long.

Worth a try if you do get it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post

There's also this, which you *can* buy today:

SeeLeaf Detection Wipes | The Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac Site

I have no idea if it works. They're only advertising it to be used directly on leaves. BUt maybe it can work on contaminated things? Someone should ask them!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    Haven't had the PO for a while now but several years ago I got it pretty good and by happenstance ended up using Technu after a few days as I read I can at least help lessen the effects of it and shorten the duration. For me yes it worked and I was a lot more comfortable w/ it when I applied the Technu. I would just put the Technu en the affected area and go to work and it worked out pretty well and didn't last that long.

Worth a try if you do get it.
    How would you know it shortens the duration if you haven't had it for a few years and don't know the amount you were infected with?

For all the reasons already brought up, applying something to the outside of your skin doesn't break up something that is already in your skin, it has to run it's course then.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    How would you know it shortens the duration if you haven't had it for a few years and don't know the amount you were infected with?

For all the reasons already brought up, applying something to the outside of your skin doesn't break up something that is already in your skin, it has to run it's course then.

B/C I've had it prior to that and never applied the Technu after I was infected. Last time I tried it and the affected areas were not so angry.

Just trying to help others if they do get it bro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    There's so much out in the Ord that I consider a bottle of dish soap and paper towels a vital necessity out there. I've been tagged a couple of times without even going off trail, at least I am so reactive that I know within minutes that I've been hit.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    Thatís why I sprayed diesel on both of the cut pieces;the stem in the ground, and the plant above ground. I donít like to use poisons...thatís why I use diesel

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Here we go. The superbloom is coming. These late winter storms supercharged the foliage.

When the oak spreads
    when the bee stings
    when I'm feeling sad
    I simply remember my steroid cream......

Poison oak is out in force-screen-shot-2018-03-26-9.03.42-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Here we go. The superbloom is coming. These late winter storms supercharged the foliage.

When the oak spreads
    when the bee stings
    when I'm feeling sad

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 9.03.42 AM.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	1189640

-Make sure to have PLENTY on-hand for Sea Otter. It's out there in epic proportions...

fc
    honcho Administrator
    -Make sure to have PLENTY on-hand for Sea Otter. It's out there in epic proportions...
    By then end of this week, we shall witness the true scale of this apocalypse.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    By then end of this week, we shall witness the true scale of this apocalypse.

-I'm going back to the other side of 68.
    We ERADICATE the evil weed there!!

mtbr member
    Went on a ride at Napa Skyline yesterday and it would appear that the fire just made the area more hospitable to poison oak with less competition. It is TERRIBLE out there. I did a full scrub down after the ride, but I'm going to be sweating the next few days, especially because I'll be on a plane to Hawaii for 2 weeks on Sunday. Bad poison oak rash in the sun and heat is not cool.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Is any of the OtC stuff worth having around? I read that taking Benadryl works OK, and there are some options that come in a tube.

Moderator Moderator
    Poison oak is out in force-img_7719.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggs1993 View Post
    Is any of the OtC stuff worth having around? I read that taking Benadryl works OK, and there are some options that come in a tube.
    Zanfel works surprisingly well. I wash with a cloth and about a dimes worth of zanfel after every ride and have only had poison oak when I don't wash with it or wait an excessive amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Just damn.

#oakpocalypse
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apologies if others have mentioned this strategy, but I keep a bottle of Dawn and a bottle of water in the truck to compliment the baby wipes I use after most rides. If I've been around poison oak i lather up with the dawn, using a wipe as a washcloth, then rinse with water. This way I get to it sooner than I would if I waited until I got home, drank beer, did honey-dos, etc before a shower.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

When the oak spreads
    when the bee stings
    when I'm feeling sad

when i was in Thailand..some mystery bug ate up my ankles on the beach. i guess "sand flea"? anyways, i showed the bites to some thai pharmacist. he nods and hands me this tube of stuff..same ("same same" in thai) the strength way up there..10x? one wipe, and zero itch in the following 3 seconds. i went back and bought four more tubes. i just ran out.. i think the tube was $5 american.

dang..i miss that stuff. probably not FDA approved. hehe.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    Apologies if others have mentioned this strategy, but I keep a bottle of Dawn and a bottle of water in the truck to compliment the baby wipes I use after most rides. If I've been around poison oak i lather up with the dawn, using a wipe as a washcloth, then rinse with water. This way I get to it sooner than I would if I waited until I got home, drank beer, did honey-dos, etc before a shower.
    This is a great strategy. What we've learned over the years is the use of an abrasive washcloth. That seems to be the single most important element. Type of detergent doesn't matter too much as long as it can break up oils.

Key is immediacy and washcloth.
    IPA will save America

Just because I love this photo and hate poison oak. So I'll post it again.

Poison oak is out in force-slide_13.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm not exactly sure where I picked it up, but I got poison oak for the first time in my life this year (and I'll be 37 in a couple weeks). Currently still dealing with it - underside of both forearms and it spread to my chest. It SUCKS.

I usually keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a towel in my riding bag. Post-ride I soak the towel and wipe all exposed skin. I hadn't ridden for a bit and my bottle was empty so I didn't follow my routine. Figured I'd be fine since I had never gotten PO before....
    :wq

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just ordered a 3rd set of gloves so I can rotate infected pairs and get a full gear wash load.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    There's always poison oak... just like the trail drying.

BUT the poison oak this year is next level. Holy moly, what happened? April showers bring My Poison Oak.

Saratoga Gap is a good measuring stick, I've never seen it like that. Can't even get through the first singletrack without hitting it.

Anyone else? Other areas?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    As others have mentioned, the fires up here in Sonoma County have just cleared the deck for PO to thrive. I'm fortunate to only be mildly allergic. My son however, gets it just by being in the vicinity, I swear. Yesterday, he carried Tech-Nu wipes with him and wiped down as soon as we got off the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    just checked out my future project. HWY 128 right near the Mendo border.

there are trees and poison oak. those are the two most noticeable things growing out there. my knee is itching just typing this out..

while i have never been allergic, i finally had two small spots on my wrist last season..i know allergies change as we live..i hope i don't developer it.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Have a moderate case on my arm and it is now in the seeping stage.

I've found the best way to deal with this is to wipe the biggest seepage (usually after getting out of the shower) with a paper towel a few times and then just letting it dry thereby blocking any additional seepage.

Though for really bad cases I remember there is nothing that can be done - it just keeps seeping and you have to accept that your pants, socks, shirt or whatever is going to be gummed up.

Funny thing I've noticed is that the liquid that seeps out smells exactly like a wet dog. Wonder why this is.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by camus View Post
    Have a moderate case on my arm and it is now in the seeping stage.

I've found the best way to deal with this is to wipe the biggest seepage (usually after getting out of the shower) with a paper towel a few times and then just letting it dry thereby blocking any additional seepage.

Though for really bad cases I remember there is nothing that can be done - it just keeps seeping and you have to accept that your pants, socks, shirt or whatever is going to be gummed up.

Funny thing I've noticed is that the liquid that seeps out smells exactly like a wet dog. Wonder why this is.
    How many days ago did you get exposed? And how much longer til you are fully healed?

fc
    IPA will save America