Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Point One

Urban Ninja

Point One

At the CCCX race this weekend, I ran into a couple of guys with a new product that I thought was kinda nifty so I decided to try it out. One of the companies founders is Jimmy Amaral, a Pro MTB racer. I liked the sleek design of this stem and the fact that it integrates the top cap with the stem. Why hasn't someone thought of that already?? Anywho, here is a couple of photo's of my new bling. It dropped almost 150-200g off my bike and I'm told this stem is 10g lighter than a Thompson 50mm and that doesn't take into account the weight saving of the top cap.

The product might be available if you contact them. Check em out on the web at:
    http://www.pointoneracing.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For Sale: EPIC

Send it!

www.rayscyclebicycles.com

Urban Ninja
    Hey, somebody posted a mtbr review. I've had this stem on my Enduro now for several rides including a Moab trip and have had nothing but good luck with it. All other stems I've used have slipped on me at some point. I highly recommend it. And it's 40 to 50 grams lighter than a thompson I guess. Sweet!

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/point-o...named-thomson/

Send it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    that's a pretty piece of hardware....i wonder when they will be able come out with more lengths and rises...

mtbr member
    the stem/top cap combo made a run a couple years ago. Not very successfull, but were primarily used by people that cut their steerer tube to low and needed a shorter profile stem. Other than that, they weren't that poplular.

I forgot the name of it, therefore no pics.

Capricious youth...
    Looks a little week in certain areas with the two separate clamps.

It's great looking though, and obviously light, but for now I'll stick to my tried-and-true Thomson 50mm.
    Meh.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3

It's great looking though, and obviously light, but for now I'll stick to my tried-and-true Thomson 50mm.
    It looks weak but I think it's the design that makes it so strong. I'm about 200 lbs. I've got about 3 months of hard riding doing jumps and drops on this stem with no issue. There is definitely no flex in it. I wouldn't have changed except for the fact that I was considering upgrading to a Thompson and this came along and looked like a better alternative. So far, I'm happy.

Send it!

I just wanna go fast...
    My girlfriend has one on her short travel bike, works well as long as you cut your steer tube to the exact length you need. As for strength, I've heard they were tested to be just as strong as a thompson x4 stem. I have no idea how that sort of testing goes on, but I do know tha Amaral rides pretty hard, so if they hold up for him, they'll hold up for me.

mtbr member
    Ian was talking it up with Jimmy, I heard them saying stems are tested for flex by long solid bars. I would buy one because Point 1 are local guys and the product is quality.

not a forum admin
    hey folks - i did a pro-review on this stem just this week.

check it out - leave your thoughts

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/point-o...named-thomson/

my measure was 40g lighter than a thomson x4 50mm and 50g lighter when a chris king head cap is included.

i've got a video too on there too - but it is pretty tame riding. i tested this stem on my dh bike and my mtnX/slope style bike. i'm 230lbs and tend to break stuff quickly. i think this stem will hold for quite some time.

-adam

mtbr member
    like grrah mentioned. that kind of stem is pretty limiting. I rather have a thu hole in mine and use spacers+cap. but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3

I'm with Prettym1ke - definitely looks a bit brittle. there is more to a stem than weight. weight to strenght ratio or Thomson stems is pretty hard to beat.

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePunisher
    like grrah mentioned. that kind of stem is pretty limiting. I rather have a thu hole in mine and use spacers+cap. but that's just me

I'm with Prettym1ke - definitely looks a bit brittle. there is more to a stem than weight. weight to strenght ratio or Thomson stems is pretty hard to beat.

yes - you are correct in that for some this just wont work because of cutting the steerer tube down. but, if you're building a race bike...well...why would you want the extra weight of the excess steerer tube/head cap/ and spacers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    yes - you are correct in that for some this just wont work because of cutting the steerer tube down. but, if you're building a race bike...well...why would you want the extra weight of the excess steerer tube/head cap/ and spacers?
    well if someone is such a weight weenie, they could just use the cap (or some headlock) to preload the headset bearings, tighten the stem then remove the cap all togeather. you don't relly need it.

Capricious youth...
    I'm with atomicAdam on this one. I cut all my forks down and never have more than 1 1/4" spacer on top of the stem.

It just makes it pretty.
    Meh.

not a forum admin
    well if someone is such a weight weenie, they could just use the cap (or some headlock) to preload the headset bearings, tighten the stem then remove the cap all togeather. you don't relly need it.
    yeah dude - they sure could - i've seen like how many ppl do that myself.....

it's not for everyone

Urban Ninja
    You might take a look at their site. They've posted the results from a Cal Poly Mechanical Engineering Department stiffness test. I'm guessing competitor A is a Thompson.

http://www.pointoneracing.com/splits...s_tests_v7.pdf

Send it!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    "Integrated" cap aside good to see another light stem coming up.
    Although I'm quite happy with 150g Hope DH stem.
    Also there is nice and inexpensive stem from Sunline (661) V-One All Mntn at 140g for 50mm.

What I like on both (Hope and Sunline) is full sized front plate. Contact area with bar is larger and it allows for lower torq values, especially if using FSA paste with crabon bar.
    Gravity Dropper - simply kicks @$$
    Casco Viper MX - trully jaw dropping experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I LIKE that stem! that thing is sweet! I agree about the topcap.. I hate running spacers on top of the stem.. it looks like a stack of pancakes
    FYI- look at a thomson stem the faceplate is under cut in the middle so the actual bar contact areas are only in two spots- like the Po1nt stem.....Also, I found a stiffness test on their website.. it seems to be pretty good

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just checked www.pointoneracing.com and the stems are available for pre-order... and I just couldnt resist so i snatched one up! I figure I will "Stimulate" the economy! Cant wait to slap that thing on!

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_Racer
    Just checked www.pointoneracing.com and the stems are available for pre-order... and I just couldnt resist so i snatched one up! I figure I will "Stimulate" the economy! Cant wait to slap that thing on!
    sweet dude - hope you like it as much as I do.

Freetard.
    Apparently they have a direct-mount version as well. sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

horn doggie
    Great product, and quite bright, qualified people who are involved in product development.

I've been testing a preproduction 50mm "Split-Second" stem on my Toro DH bike for ~2 months. It's beautifully made, beautifully conceived. And, as was mentioned, the prototypes went through both hands-on failure testing locally, as well as academic engineering/failure tests at Cal Poly. Sweet stuff, with glowing data. It's stiff at heck, and even lighter than one could imagine proper for a DH bike. I love it.

I've also been BETA testing the new 70mm stem. It's a different design, but is equally stout. It too has gone through local testing to failure, with results used to tweak the CNC programs for the final prototypes. They haven't decided on a name, but a few of us are keen on the suggested name "Blunt". You'll see why once I post up the pics.

Here's a picture of the Split-Second; I have none of the "Blunt", currently, but will post some up a bit later. If any questions, come to the races this weekend at Toro and see them in the flesh.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

horn doggie
    Here are the pictures of the prototype "Blunt", still showing grime and sweat stains from my race 2 weeks ago. Although you can't see it, the entire internal space of the "reach" part of the stem is a fully hollow cylinder. You could fit a pair of D-batteries end-to-end in there.....or your stash, for example. Hmmm.....

This is a raw sample; production models are expected to be anodized black with laser etched logos. The face plates are nickel plated on this example, but aren't expected to be in production. I put the "1" from the company decal just to give it....something. The reach is 70mm. And the spacer under the stem, that spacer with concave face? That's also a Point 1 product, the lightest on the market. Tasty.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    Here are the pictures of the prototype "Blunt", still showing grime and sweat stains from my race 2 weeks ago. Although you can't see it, the entire internal space of the "reach" part of the stem is a fully hollow cylinder. You could fit a pair of D-batteries end-to-end in there.....or your stash, for example. Hmmm.....

This is a raw sample; production models are expected to be anodized black with laser etched logos. The face plates are nickel plated on this example, but aren't expected to be in production. I put the "1" from the company decal just to give it....something. The reach is 70mm. And the spacer under the stem, that spacer with concave face? That's also a Point 1 product, the lightest on the market. Tasty.

dude - where can i get a gold colored top cap bolt like you have??????

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    its cool looking, but i think its a solution in search of a problem.
    My Stable:
    '08 Santa Cruz Nomad
    '07 Raleigh XXIX Rigid Singlespeed 29er

horn doggie
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    its cool looking, but i think its a solution in search of a problem.
    True. Kinda like all those bike designs that came in the decades following the success of the original klunkers on Mt. Tam. Good thing nobody ever thought to experiment with new ideas and designs, eh? What a waste of time that's proven to be.

But seriously, it's just a new product from a local, young fabricator/designer that integrates a few nifty concepts resulting in cool looking stems that are both light AND strong, in fact, the lightest on the market, including the venerable Thompson. It's stronger, too.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast