Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    middle ring single track

Pliny's "Tree Down at Henry W Coe SP" Contest.

Photobucket

Remember "Pliny's Missing Marker Contest"???

This is kind of like that only different; points will be awarded for posting the description a tree within Henry W Coe SP that's blocking a trail or otherwise posing a hazard in the park.

An accurate description ("24 inch diameter oak tree down on Cross Canyon 3/4 mile from Coit Rd") is good for one point; this plus a photo will get you another point, a geo-tagged photo yet another point, including a kmz (like from Google Earth) will net you 4 points.

If you've cleared a tree yourself, we'd like to hear about that too---that info is also worth a point. (Maybe more if the tree was gnarly big)

Also; downed trees (that haven't been cleared) previously reported on MTBR qualify to be included here.

Prizes TBD but will be the usual swag and beverages; this'll be a monthly contest.

Here's a couple of mine from 2 weekends ago:
    Photobucket
    24" pine down on Live Oak Spring Trail about 1/2 mile N/E of Wagon Rd

Photobucket
    16" pine down on Live Oak Springs Trail (upper) about 1/4 mile N of the springs

The info gathered will be prioritized and a) if the tree is large the DPR will be notified for removal by chainsaw, or b) the Uniformed Volunteers will send out a work party.

Downed trees at Coe are becoming a huge problem at Coe due to the deadfall from the Lick Fire.

Coe will also be losing maintenance workers next July so the more trees we can get on the list the more the State will be able to remove before then.

BTW; "Pliny's Missing Marker Contest" is alive and well; it's just too far ahead of the group in charge of making repairs to the signs---when they catch up it'll start again.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

middle ring single track

For your workday amusement...

Here's an oak I partially cleared from the Jim Donnelly Trail yesterday:

About 3/4 of a mile up from Hunting Hollow Rd---don't bother reporting this one! It still needs complete removal to allow equestrian traffic; hikers and bikers can pass under it OK.

Must've fallen late Sunday or early Monday---maybe because of the storm???

Before you ask, that is a Surly Pugsly!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Good sized tree (4' diameter) on either lower Middle Ridge by the creek, or the creek trail to China Hole.

It was all a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Medium?
    I'm thinking about bringing a big saw for this weekend's festivities...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    Here's an oak I partially cleared from the Jim Donnelly Trail yesterday:

About 3/4 of a mile up from Hunting Hollow Rd---don't bother reporting this one! It still needs complete removal to allow equestrian traffic; hikers and bikers can pass under it OK.

Must've fallen late Sunday or early Monday---maybe because of the storm???

Before you ask, that is a Surly Pugsly!
    Ha, ha, funny tires!
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Awesome contest. It's been great riding past new signs that resulted from the sign contest.

All my photos are geotagged.

Clearly, you've already got the Cross Canyon tree:
    Latitude 37.144933° N
    Longitude 121.463774° W

From Henry Coe (Curse of Two - Sep 2011

This one.. hmm.. too far out to worry about

Turkey Pond Trail has 3 trees down.
    Latitude 37.164562° N
    Longitude 121.401952° W

From Henry Coe (Paradise Lake, Robison Creek) - May 2011

The Cross Canyon Wall would be much better if this tree was removed (the top one)
    Latitude 37.139011° N
    Longitude 121.447090° W

From Henry Coe Everest Challenge - Oct 2011

So many more... I have a habit of taking photos of downed trees in case they would be useful.
    Last edited by ratpick; 10-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    All my photos are geotagged.
    How? This is the first really compelling reason to get a GPS, IMO. I'm not fast enough for KOM and I've only been lost once. In that case a compass would have worked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    How? This is the first really compelling reason to get a GPS, IMO. I'm not fast enough for KOM and I've only been lost once. In that case a compass would have worked.
    My camera doesn't geotag but it's a fairly quick process to add later:
    - make sure the clock on my camera is close to GPS time (or know the difference and adjust later)
    - upload photos from my camera to PC
    - upload GPS track from Garmin (I use SportTracks)
    - export GPX track from SportTracks (could use mtbguru or Ascend or something else for this)
    - use geosetter to do the actual geotagging
    - geosetter adds a location description into the image's metadata which makes searching later easy (I usually change the local setting to "Henry Coe State Park" or wherever I'm riding).

If you only want to geotag, all you need is a GPS logger and you can get those fairly cheaply. There are some memory cards that will geotag, but only if near a wifi network and last I checked, there aren't many of those out on trails!

middle ring single track

GPS enabled cameras...

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    My camera doesn't geotag but it's a fairly quick process to add later:
    - make sure the clock on my camera is close to GPS time (or know the difference and adjust later)
    - upload photos from my camera to PC
    - upload GPS track from Garmin (I use SportTracks)
    - export GPX track from SportTracks (could use mtbguru or Ascend or something else for this)
    - use geosetter to do the actual geotagging
    - geosetter adds a location description into the image's metadata which makes searching later easy (I usually change the local setting to "Henry Coe State Park" or wherever I'm riding).

If you only want to geotag, all you need is a GPS logger and you can get those fairly cheaply. There are some memory cards that will geotag, but only if near a wifi network and last I checked, there aren't many of those out on trails!
    Ratpick, keep doing it the way you are!

A few months back I bought and higher-end Sony point-and-shoot with GPS and found out that it's not well suited for this kind of an assignment. It takes too long in most circumstances for the GPS to find enough satellites for an accurate position report. The camera can be forced to stay on so the GPS will track from photo to photo but this sucks down the batteries.

Some of the newer smartphones might work pretty well but there's still apparently the battery issue when GPS tracking.

I usually just use Google Earth to visually locate the photos using the placemark tool; this is usually close enough. We're not targeting cruise missiles here!

Anyway, keep those photos coming!

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    I usually just use Google Earth to visually locate the photos using the placemark tool; this is usually close enough. We're not targeting cruise missiles here!
    Yea, but it must take forever. His method will tag them all, even the ones I don't want to spend time editing, etc because they are crappy. I'd still like them tagged for future usage.

mtbr member
    iPhone and Android phone cameras will deliver crappy photos but they will be automatically geotagged, hassle-free... so digging up the cellphone when seeing a down tree may be the simplest.

More pie please
    Hi Paul

Here’s what I got…

Domino Pond 50’ from Rock Tower

You already have this one: Cross Canyon Trail on the descent from Coit Road:

Add a 24” diameter Pine 50’ from Millias, and a 24” Oak mid-way up the climb to Willow Ridge Road (a go-around is pretty established here). No pics, sorry.

Ridge Trail 50’ from Pacheco Ridge Road

Ridge Trail 50’ from Pacheco Creek Trail

Kelly Cabin Canyon Trail 500’ from Coit Road:

Timm Trail 50’ from Final Exit:

Spur trail off of Live Oak Spring Trail, out about a mile...

A couple more without photos

24” Pine across the Rose Dam Trail 50’ from Pacheco Creek Trail.

Jackass Trail, many, many 24” fallen trees along the length of it.

Good luck with this...
    ///Charlie
    Long live long rides

he who goes without food
    [QUOTE=Skyline35;8516188]Hi Paul

Here’s what I got…

Domino Pond 50’ from Rock Tower

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    or one of these

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That tree is big, but it could be worse...like last Friday elsewhere in California:

Video: Watch Two Giant Sequoia Trees Fall to the Ground | Outdoors | SoCal Wanderer | KCET

As far as a few more downed trees in addition to the piles listed above - a ton on Live Oak Spring Road in the section below Live Oak Spring Trail (you can see them from the upper trail); a 12-18" or so midway down Vasquez Trail (but you can ride around off-trail about 20' right); a 6-8" one just past that one that you can ride over the tip; a 6" one about 1/3 mile up Vasquez Road from the bottom, easily dispatched with a small saw; a big older one at the junction of Vasquez Road and the unnamed road heading southeast, but it can be ridden around and driven around. Don't know if anyone ever got the big one (24"+) about 50 feet up Rat Spring trail from Pacheco Creek trail.

Is now still the time?

Tough Jobs Ahead!!!

Trees fall. Sometimes they fall across a trail.

Because shade is welcome, trails are sometimes routed through woodlands (lots of other reasons exist). Trails routed through chapparral require frequent brushing, and provide little shade. Trail routed through woodland provides shade, and frequent deadfall.

Sunday 10/09/11 we finished off the tree on JDT. Knobular will provide some photos.

After that activity, I rode up the JDT up to Willson Peak, and down Middle Steer Ridge. At the bottom just one tenth of a mile from the olde JDT junction there is a huge tree down. Bummer!

Double bummer because I left my 13" Fiskar hand saw up on the JDT where I used it. I was able to carefully move enough of the (large amount consisting of 4 large limbs) collateral timber off by carefully levering off the timber piece by piece (like a game of 300# pick-up-sticks) and maneuvering the main trunk so that it is possible to walk over just one large trunk, without cross-country travel up or down slope from the obstruction.

I added the tools I brought (30" bowsaw - mcleod -dhandle shovel - pick mattock - loppers - brace of 100 blue pin flags) to the gang box.

The last four photos above are from this spring removing a tree fallen across the creekside section of Cross Canyon Trail with the Forest Knolls Freewheelers and ROMP (just thought I would share).

Tree removal activities happen. If no one posts them on the internet, fewer see the work. Whatever.

This is going to be an amazing thread on MTBR!!!
    SOrCerer

loopy counter

middle ring single track

How many MTBers does it take...

Whilst Sorcerer was taking care of business in the southern end of Henry Coe; several of us mountain-biking "newbie" Uniformed Volunteers were participating in the final stages of the "boot camp" training process. We were on the last march of the day when we came upon a pine that had fallen across the Willow Ridge Trail; clearing it was not part of the course but since most of us still had in our packs the small saws we usually carry while out on trail we thought we'd have a go at removing it. Here's the raw and un-cut video of the action:

Besides myself holding the camera; MTBR regulars Diesel, Fast Eddie and plymmer were doing the hard work. Phil and Travis were also seen assisting in this operation; there are several other trainees in this year's class who are mountain biking regulars---we were probably the largest user group taking the training!

middle ring single track

More Contest Rules (minor buzzkill)

It's been pointed out to me that we shouldn't encourage Coe Park users to be doing potentially dangerous trail maintenance work such as removing large fallen trees unless proper protocols are being followed.

Park policy stipulates that no work of this nature be performed until certain paperwork is signed by the volunteer and the work performed in the presence of either DPR staff or a Uniformed Volunteer. (Such as Sorcerer)

This being the case "removal" points will only be awarded to those who remove trees in the above conditions. If you do something on your own godbless but it's best you don't share about it here. Use at your own risk blah blah blah...

We're mostly after those fallen tree locations in this contest, getting the trails cleared is the "icing on the cake"

Here's another short video from last weekend; besides plymmer and Fast Eddie there's an extremely rare sighting of DustyBrown:

loopy counter
    Here's an old vid but a good one... from Plymmer and Sorcerer's "Barney Purple" phase:

middle ring single track

"Plan C"

If removing fallen trees the way we've been doing it is "Plan A" (by using hand saws) and "Plan B" is by informing the DPR so they can use their chainsaws then this video shows the technique of doing as little hand-sawing as possible and then winching the main portions off the trail:

This is the tree near the bottom of Middle Steer Ridge Trail as reported by Sorcerer. This was my first attempt using this method; I tried pulling the tree in the "wrong" direction (broken limbs digging in but a shorter pull) on purpose and the tree would not budge until I took off some weight by cutting off a couple more limbs. Had I pulled it in the other direction I'm fairly confident that I wouldn't have had to resort to using the saw but I would have had a longer pull (and needed to reset the hoist).

Another beautiful fall day at Henry Coe!
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 10-12-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: updated video link

Is now still the time?

Phegley, top of the single track section

LocoYokel reported this last year I think.

A narrow volunteer trail is well worn in below the tree now. It may damage the tree roots it skirts around eventually, so something will be done eventually.

The photo is from Weds, 10/12.
    SOrCerer

More pie please

Adding...

Elderberry Trail:

Creekside Trail:

.kmz attached.

Roy found a Coe spyglass for spotting fallen trees:

Question: is there a prescribed burn scheduled for the Hobbs Road/Middle Ridge Trail
    area? Yesterday I saw what looked like preparations for one.

Thanks,
    ///Charlie
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Long live long rides

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Roy found a Coe spyglass for spotting fallen trees:
    Sven? Is dat you? (Obligatory cultural reference: Swedish Bookstore - YouTube)

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    Question: is there a prescribed burn scheduled for the Hobbs Road/Middle Ridge Trail
    area? Yesterday I saw what looked like preparations for one.

Thanks,
    ///Charlie
    Answer from the San Jose Mercury News:

Henry Coe State Park to undergo prescribed burn

Bay City News Service
    Posted: 10/16/2011 12:39:34 PM PDT
    Updated: 10/16/2011 12:39:36 PM PDT

MORGAN HILL -- Henry Coe State Park will be the site of a prescribed burn on Monday
    and Tuesday, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said Saturday.

The "Western Zone Complex" prescribed burn will take place -- pending weather
    conditions and approval from the Bay Area Air Quality District -- on Middle Ridge Trail
    off of Hobbs Road, approximately eight miles northeast of Morgan Hill, CAL FIRE said.

Prescribed burns have been performed for decades and carry many benefits for public
    and natural resources, including watershed improvement, enhanced wildlife habitat and
    protection against large, damaging wildland fires, according to CAL FIRE.

Fire personnel said smoke would be visible from most Bay Area counties and possibly
    from Interstate Highway 5.
    Long live long rides

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast