Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Any updated information on doing trail work at Henry Coe?

Is now still the time?
    Good question Michael,

Until further notice, by the order of the Supervising Ranger, tread work of any kind (ie. moving soil), may only be conducted with supervision of paid staff.

Brushing by authorized volunteers is still allowed, so we've continued our brushing and dead-fall bucking activities.

2nd Saturday trail work will resume this November the 10th. What gets done depends upon soil and weather conditions, and staff availability.

There has been detailed scrutiny upon the JDT which yields specific prescriptive changes. Most of this was work we planned on doing anyway. However, some of it isn't. To put it in the kindest way, I would say that the current condition and original conception of the JDT build out represents less excavation and less impact upon the the hillside.

This past weekend the bike patrol did a bunch of brushing work in the center of the park. We removed large concentrations of deadfall on Bear Spring and Canteen Spring Trails. I'll post pics later sometime.

Fast Eddy and Pliebenberg have some additional excitement to share as well.
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track

Excitement!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post

Fast Eddy and Pliebenberg have some additional excitement to share as well.
    Might have had some excitement if we'd had room to bring our bikes along!

We did clear several trees but didn't have to touch a saw; Ed's Land Cruiser busted them in half first and then we just towed them away with a strap.

Road Clearing 3, This one was on Live Oak Springs Road.
    Live Oak Springs Road; after removing the strap we would roll it over the edge.

Road Clearing 7
    Coit Road

Caravan at Base of Bear Mountain III
    Nothing like climbing Bear Mountain in air-conditioned comfort! (actually the a/c was off and the windows rolled down---beautiful day!) I was thinking about the Hard COEre participants the whole time while driving up the mountain.

Kelly Cabin Canyon Creek Oasis II, Turtles and numerous fish were present.
    Have your water filter? I found this tiny spring-fed oasis up Kelly Cabin Canyon Creek not too far from bone-dry Coyote Creek East Fork at Los Cruzeros while killing time waiting for the trainees. Full of fish, turtles and etc.

Wilderness First Aid II, "why yes I do!"
    Doing some "real" wilderness first-aid was probably the most excitement I had during the weekend. While removing some trash from the Coyote Creek a fellow Uniformed Volunteer got snagged by a discarded fish hook. If Don would have left it in overnight we could have included the removal in the "fishing demonstration" on Sunday.

Wilderness First Aid IV, Success! (don't forget to get that tetanus shot!)
    Success!

CMBP Discussion at Lunchtime II
    Coe Mountain Bike Patrol members Chris V, Paul (Sorcerer), Roy (plymmer) and Eric S give the trainees a briefing on what the Patrol's mission at Coe is. Plymmer is showing the correct way to hold a discarded Mylar balloon.

Caravan on Coit Lake Dam
    Lunchtime for the caravan drivers at Coit Lake Dam

Fishing Demonstration, Fishing demonstration at Coit Lake by Bill Frazer and grandkids
    Aforementioned fishing "demonstration" (the need for this demonstration may sound a little silly at first but the Uniformed Volunteers are expected to know which species can be caught at what lakes and offer tips to park visitors should they inquire)

Final Hike II
    This was the last hike for the Uniformed Volunteer trainees; Ranger John leads them down Willow Springs Trail to the waiting caravan.

Hear No Evil, Speak No...I, Don, Lynne and Ed demonstrate what it take to be a successful volunteer.
    Don S (fish hook man), Lynne and Fast Eddy demonstrate what it takes to be a successful Uniformed Volunteer.

The End 4
    Official class photo; a couple of these folks want to become MTBers after hearing about how much fun MTBing can be at Coe!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Is now still the time?

Canteen Spring Trail

Plymmer and I did work on Saturday on Bear Spring Trail (maybe pictures late). Next morning three of us went out to the Canteen Spring Trail.

These are photos from Superstoker's phone.

We took out 4 or 5 trees like this over the trail.

In a typical late winter and spring this area has a brook flowing through it. Then by May the area is chin high with green plants.

It's hard to see the "trail" here, both in the photos and when you are here even. Either way, the trees were in the way for a long time.

Since these trees had been laying here for over a year, they were partially rotten, which made the cutting a lot faster.

Still, this was not easy

Bucking log.

Rock and roll.

Finishing touch.
    SOrCerer

Is now still the time?

Plymmer and the Log

On Saturday we arrived at Bear Spring Trail to remove another fallen tree.

Even though you can kind of scoot underneath this tree,
    Plymmer agrees. "It's got to go."

There's a certain kind of patience and persistence required to saw through a tree in the middle of nowhere.
    The hardest and most time consuming part is merely getting there to do the job,

There's a bunch of techniques we learn and discover, which include different sawing angles, high-speed relay sawing sprints,
    pinning rocks in the groove to prevent pinching, and even propping things up with various objects.

This one was easy to roll away. So satisfying to do sometimes.

No time to waste. On to the next woody trail encroachment.

Bear Spring flowing at 2 deciliters per minute of cool fresh water about a half mile above where the tree was. An important and strategic source of water.
    SOrCerer

Medium?
    Feeling kinda wimpy that pliebenberg and I used the tractor on this little one on Coit Rd and another, slightly bigger one on Live Oak Spring.

More pie please

fyi the fallen tree on the Orestimba Creek Trail has been removed

Roy Kangasawed it:

Turned out to be a big job but Roy got'er done:

It was a great ride out there yesterday. After the tree removal, we checked out Canteen Trail…great work guys!

Oh, along the way, Roy almost got eaten by monster disguised as a fallen tree:

…but he managed to escape. Close one!

///Charlie

Last edited by Skyline35; 10-29-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Long live long rides

middle ring single track

Bravo plymmer!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Roy Kangasawed it:

Thanks Roy and Charlie!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    I cut and cleared the branches on that one ( pretty big ) before you guys rolled though, the main part was just to much for my wimpy 10 inch tool! Did you see the group of like 20 hikers out there?
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

Type A
    Although I greatly appreciate when downed trees are removed, and I've spent time doing it myself, there are some tree removers that are over zealous in my opinion. If its a nice single log less than say knee high, I think they should stay. I view these as doable trail obstacles and add challenge to a trail. I'm not in favor of dumbing down a trail to its lowest common denominator rider. Recently, someone took a pick axe to a rocky trail section of a local trail. It was one of the more challenging sections and now is no more. Although this example isn't a tree, I think the idea is the same. Please think of all trail users when deciding to remove obstacle from trails.

mtbr member
    Well there was no way in hell anyone could hop over this one, well done Roy!

middle ring single track

1/2 mile up the Jim Donnelly

We got a report of a 2' tree down on the JDT via one of our equestrian volunteers from some bikers. I went out yesterday to confirm and see what I could do.

Definite blockage...

I started out small...

..but quickly switched to a "Kangasaw-sized" tool.

I was able to clear a hike-a-bike path around the impasse; hopefully the State chainsaw boys will come out next week and remove the rest of it.

Is now still the time?
    Great reportage Pliebenberg.

A group of us will be going to Coe Sunday the 30th of Dec. 2012, and we'll concentrate our feeble power upon the Grapevine and Cattle Duster trail fallen trees. I'm sure we'll have something to show here in the New Year (or sooner?).

OT: Here's a photo of a tree I found on the Upper Stevens Canyon Trail today. It arches low just after a storm altered brook ford, and is really hard to limbo ride underneath. This is a trail that I do light maintenance on through the adopt-a-trail program with SC Parks and Rec. I'm not sure what to do about this yet.

Last edited by Sorcerer; 12-31-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track
    Sunday the 29th of Dec. 2012
    Still on that Mayan calendar???

Is now still the time?

Two Bucked Trees

Our mission to remove 2 trees blocking the trail on lower Grapevine and lower Cattle Duster met with success. The first green oak trunk on the Grapevine Trail was really big for handsaws. Plymmer and I had one each. Taking turns on different sides without swapping the tool saved a little time. But this was grueling work.

Before and after:

Neoprene booties were good to wear and sit on.

Just down the trail a short way is this widow-maker tree arch:

We headed up the Grapevine and into the Rock Garden.

This is the second one:

It was almost warm on top of Jackson Field Hill:

Chris jumped for joy to be riding in Coe again:

The last Coe ride of 2012!

It was a good ride. We took Jackson Trail down. There is some bad guttering there in the usual bad places.

Another example:

We also climbed Domino Pond Trail on the ride. It was in pretty good shape. The reroute we put in to go around a huge fallen oak tree is now well established and serviceable.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 12-31-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    SOrCerer

More Torque
    Thanks for taking out those trees; that one on lower grapevine was big, which makes your effort all the more impressive. I thought it might require a chainsaw.

Jackson is in serious need of some grade reversals; we've been visiting those same areas with drains and outslope for years, to no avail.

-D

middle ring single track

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    Thanks for taking out those trees; that one on lower grapevine was big, which makes your effort all the more impressive. I thought it might require a chainsaw.

Jackson is in serious need of some grade reversals; we've been visiting those same areas with drains and outslope for years, to no avail.

-D
    on the tree removals!

RE Jackson Trail; somebody needs to take the State trails people there to see what a Sweco-built "State Standards Class I" trail looks like after a couple of decades of minimal maintenance. (and few if any grade reversals)

PRETENDURO
    Nice work, people!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Is now still the time?
    Actually the current Jackson Trail never did meet the CSP Class 1 criteria. Number one, it is steeper than that.

The steep "wall" section could have been realigned close to the original plan some years ago when I was considering it. But after a lot of consideration I still feel the steep part is an essential love/hate element of this trail, and something will be lost when it gets removed. Interesting things happen on this section, both climbing, descending and in maintenance. It's dramatic.

On the other hand, I think steep is pretty cool, especially for descending. The trail should receive some serious attention. Can the labor and power tools be allocated? It would be a great improvement to carve some meaningful and swoopy reversals.

Some will remember the original Jackson Trail, which dropped into the area around the Cullen Trail intersection, and continued down the old steep jeep trail (Cougar-like) that you can still see which bisects lower Anza Trail, and down to Coit Rd. At the top the single track began at the same place the trail starts now, just below Elderberry Spring Trail, but continued in the straight vector of Jackson Rd over the knoll, and then intitially traversed down to the left. That trail was wild! There was a lot of steep fall-line stuff that you would have to get behind the seat to ride because there were no seat dropper posts back then.
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track

Please don't slide...

As posted elsewhere:

Ranger Cam got to the tree on Tuesday and removed a substantial portion of it; the JDT is clear again but there's always a chance that the trunk could slide across the trail if the soil gets really soft. Fingers crossed that it doesn't...

So yes reporting downed trees does work and gets results in a timely fashion.

Is now still the time?

Meanwhile to the Northwest

High water and root rot and a mature bay laurel tree caused a "leaner" to occur right over a trail. The clearance was a hobbit-like 4 feet.

A standing mcleod indicates the height.

The trunk was happenstance propped up by a rotten dead tree.

Time was spent examining the circumstance for safety concerns. BMPs and PPEs were observed.

The "leaner" made the brook crossing nigh impossible to ride. On top of that, storm flow had altered the stream-bed ford.

A plan was created. The "leaner" trunk was pulled off of the rotten stump with a fence-puller winch to unload the "leaner". It settled nearly a foot.

Limbs were trimmed. The first cut was made.

Not too big here.

The second cut was towards the base.

A passer by volunteered to help. I demurred (should have had a SCCO volunteer waiver handy), but he was so persistent that I let him have a go for about 30 strokes. It winded him.

The third cut opened it up after I pushed the log down the bank using the human winch technique, laying down on my back, bracing, and successively pushing with my legs on the end of the log. I measured the length I wanted roughly with paces.

The come-along was used to pull the log into place for the improvement of the ford.

Gradually the log was guided into place.

Additional work would be required.

The crossing came out easy to ride. The ford was filled with big rock, medium rock, gravel, and sand, in that order. Water must pass though the fill. A storm event might cause this entire arrangement to fail. Cross that bridge later. One end of the log was beveled for enhanced clearance and safety.

There was one additional task. The other half of the "leaner" lay across the trail.

It would be simple labor to chop this up with the saw, but I heeded the voice in my head that was saying something that sounded like "log-over".

Again, using the winch, I pulled the log to as close to perpendicular to the trail as I could, and ended up with a good flow, I thought.

Multiple personal test rides of the work, and a demonstration by a passing rider (too fast to catch with a pic), proved to my satisfaction that this worked okay. The last test-ride was a clean pulling the loaded BOB trailer with a puny 26" wheeled hard-tail. It's a minimal construction. Hopefully it will be accepted as a nice feature. It will help slow traffic, which is a good thing to do here, as there is a steep rooty decline just past the log-over which has poor sight-lines.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    May 2010

Nice

Beautiful work and thank you for log over. I love to see these and many times when looking at the tree cleaning, which is greatly appreciated, wonder why there cannot be more. To me they make the trails more natural. A trail completely free of trees, limbs, rocks and other stuff just is not natural. Nature has stuff in it, and is just that way. Plus they are fun.

Thanks you
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

middle ring single track

Can't keep a...

High water and root rot and a mature bay laurel tree caused a "leaner" to occur right over a trail. The clearance was a hobbit-like 4 feet....

...Multiple personal test rides of the work, and a demonstration by a passing rider (too fast to catch with a pic), proved to my satisfaction that this worked okay. The last test-ride was a clean pulling the loaded BOB trailer with a puny 26" wheeled hard-tail. It's a minimal construction. Hopefully it will be accepted as a nice feature. It will help slow traffic, which is a good thing to do here, as there is a steep rooty decline just past the log-over which has poor sight-lines.
    ...a good man down!

Quote Originally Posted by mudnucrud
    Beautiful work and thank you for log over. I love to see these and many times when looking at the tree cleaning, which is greatly appreciated, wonder why there cannot be more. To me they make the trails more natural. A trail completely free of trees, limbs, rocks and other stuff just is not natural. Nature has stuff in it, and is just that way. Plus they are fun.

I came across a similar opportunity at Coe on the eastern part of the Elderberry Trail:

I had a saw with me and I could have moved this pine from the trail if I had the time; it's too high for (most) riders to jump but hikers and horses can easily step over it by veering to the right of the trail where the log is already touching the ground.

In a few years the branches holding it off the ground will rot and it will become a natural log-over. If I had made a cut (and not dragged it off the trail) to speed nature along then Coe's "Hiker Zealots" would have reported it as a "bike stunt" and continued the furor that supports their cause. (Which is that bikers have no business having fun in State Parks) Something for the "Trail Fairies" to keep in mind; especially if adding material for ramps---the "log-over" just became a jump!

Of course different areas have different policies; unfortunately in State Parks the logs eventually must be removed. (unless 3' or over in diameter in which case the trail can be moved) We could try to get log-overs incorporated in the upcoming Trail Handbook revisions (they are talking about "pinch points" as bike speed checks) but I feel that is a long shot.

Is now still the time?

Live Oak Spring Road: "More than you can shake a stick at!"

Another big Saturday ride in Coe.

Up at the Kelly Repeater, Wilson Field Hill, just before we head on down north, Eric says, "Let's take Live Oak, you know it's downhill all the way!"

So we did, except Foosh, who didnt get the memo somehow, although he was standing right next to me. We met up with Foosh at Pacheco Clump, much later.

It was much later because I reckon Live Oak Trail needs to be renamed "Dead Pine Trail" considering.

Less than a half mile in we came to this fallen pine. The ride was supposed to be a moving ride. I didn't bring any saw, on purpose. But Plymmer and Eric had one each so this tree went.

The lads were pleased with themselves. However, grins turned sour corners down, for around the next corners and down the grade, we found many more trees down across this road.

This blurry photo captures some of the wildness.

I lost count of the number of trees down, but it is close to the number of all my toes and fingers together.

Most of it could be done in time with an 18" saw and teamwork. Most of it wasn't too big. Yet there were some tangles of great extent.

Plymmer set to grooming by combing the trail. Eventually he found his way to the Mississippi Queen.

"Do you know what I mean?"

Mississippi Lake is the queen of Coe's scenic jewels.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 01-26-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Sorry we missed you guys, Paul and I did a bit of riding there yesterday, parking lot was empty when we got there, did notice Plymmers car there when we got back

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast