middle ring single track

Fifo

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    Hi Paul

Here’s what I got…

Timm Trail 50’ from Final Exit:

///Charlie
    Not completely removed but should be fine for hikers/bikers/horses:

This tree was one of the first brought to my attention earlier; thought it should be one of the first to be cleared.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

middle ring single track

A Little Off Topic...

Question: is there a prescribed burn scheduled for the Hobbs Road/Middle Ridge Trail
    area? Yesterday I saw what looked like preparations for one.

Thanks,
    ///Charlie
    Here's what today's burn looked like from Steer Ridge near the JDT intersection:
    Photobucket
    The high point of Pine Ridge is on the horizon to the left; I think the ridge with Manzanita Point is the one in front of the smoke.

Photobucket
    Wider angle view from same place on Steer Ridge; near ridge is Spike Jones, then Wasno Ridge (Jackson Field is the grassy area on right horizon). If one squints the high point of the Cullen Trail can just be seen in the center of the photo.

In the radio chatter today I heard the DPR talking about "meet back at drop point 2".
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

middle ring single track

Don't tempt Sorcerer...

Tree removal; Sorcerer-style:

It's best to watch the whole movie; but get the USA version---this clip is from an Euro version that has the original beginning and ending cut.

middle ring single track

Timm Trail Tree Two

I'm not sure when this tree went down; it's not too far south of the other tree down on Timm reported by Skyline35:
    Photobucket

This tree isn't the impediment the other tree was; a smaller rider with skills could probably get under it without dismounting---I needed to walk it though.

I won't be lobbying for its quick removal; horses can get around by going off trail to the uphill side---this tree might be a good excuse for a minor trail re-route.

In other news, it looks like Skyline35 will be the winner of the inaugural "Pliny's Tree Down" contest. Ratpick is a close second. Prizes to be awarded at this Saturday's TWD on the Jim Donnelly Trail.

aka dan51
    Elderberry Trail:

///Charlie
    That tree on Elderberry is gone. Shiloh and I took care of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

middle ring single track

Jackass Trail

DPR's Eric G and I had a go at clearing the Lick Fire dead-fall from the Jackass Trail:

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was the first major tree down coming in from the north (visible from outer space in Google Earth!); it was a ponderosa pine about 3' in diameter.

We cleared the trail only about halfway down; the 2 vehicle shuttle didn't materialize so our hoped-for down the trail and out plan will have to wait for the next time. The trail has taken on a new character since the fire; the route now follows the path of least resistance as it winds it way through openings in the dead-fall making for a more circuitous route; an improvement IMHO!

More Torque
    Awesome work, guys! It is amazing how more and more trees continued to fall on Jackass, even years after the fire. It seemed like the rate of deadfall picked up as burned trees finally gave up the ghost.

-D

middle ring single track

Problem Solved...

Creekside Trail:

///Charlie
    On my way back from checking out the MRT "situation" I figured I should have a look at this tree down on Creekside Trail before committing to get the DPR's Eric G in there with a chainsaw.

I'm glad I did because this tree doesn't need removal at all; there's enough room (3') between the trunk and the stump to route the trail. The DPR Trails Handbook suggests that if possible in the case of large fallen trees the trail should be relocated rather than the tree being removed. (A fallen tree being an act of nature)

Still could use a little work with a McLeod:

More pie please

Kelly Cabin Canyon Trail

The two nearest trees have been cleared for a while:

^ May 7, 2011

…and on Saturday, locoyokel, Eric S., and I cleared the remaining two trees in
    the background (dead center in the photo). Greg did most of the sawing; once
    cut, it was a simple matter to roll it off the side of the trail:

Voilà!

Kelly Cabin Canyon Trail is now clear end-to-end and in the best shape since Fall 2010.
    You guys riding through on Monday, enjoy!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

middle ring single track

Nice work!

The two nearest trees have been cleared for a while:

^ May 7, 2011

…and on Saturday, locoyokel, Eric S., and I cleared the remaining two trees in
    the background (dead center in the photo). Greg did most of the sawing; once
    cut, it was a simple matter to roll it off the side of the trail:

Voilà!

Kelly Cabin Canyon Trail is now clear end-to-end and in the best shape since Fall 2010.
    You guys riding through on Monday, enjoy!

///Charlie
    Is that large oak still blocking Cross Canyon Tr between KCCT and Willow Ridge Rd? (Cross Canyon "East")

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Except for that one tree that has an easy ride-a-round (the ride-a-round is still on the roadbed, tiny uphill past the roots of the downed tree), no trees blocking Cross Canyon east above KCC. That's the way Charlie & I went, don't know if that huge oak tree is still blocking Cross Canyon near George Milias (I assume it must be unless someone hauled in a chainsaw).

middle ring single track

Cross Canyon Cleared...

...by the CMBP; this tree has been on the "list" for several months now:
    Photobucket
    Anthony, Paul (Sorcerer), Jim (Zener), Philip, Roy (plymmer) take turns sawing the oak that was blocking the east portion of Coe's Cross Canyon Trail (between Milias and Kelly Cabin Canyon trails)

Photobucket
    This started out as an informal Coe Mountain Bike Patrol "Start the New Year at Coe" ride lead by Sorcerer; we were originally only going to inspect and make plans for removing this tree at a later date---but with 7 eager lads and one strong lady the tree was quickly dispatched.

Photobucket
    Being a Patrol member isn't all glory; here Philip describes to Sorcerer his technique for removing soiled toilet paper fouling a campsite (yes really!). Some Coe visitors are disgusting; they crapped 10 paces from the campsite. (Too far to walk to the restroom???) Other members had just decommissioned a fire ring while at our stop at Kelly Lake. (a no campfires ever zone)

Photobucket
    Lunch on the KCCT; Eric, Roy, Jim, Philip, Paul and Chris enjoy the gorgeous (and unseasonable!) weather. A few yards behind where I was standing as I took this picture there was still ice in the creek.

Photobucket
    A token bikes being ridden picture; my photos don't show it but most of the time was spent "in the saddle"---as the ride proceeded we broke into several groups and rejoined at common landmarks. Here Anthony, Eric and Jim approach the intersection of Wagon and Wasno roads.

There should be some video of the tree removal and etc; hopefully it will get posted here later.
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 01-08-2012 at 10:54 AM.

More pie please

Good job! Thanks!!!

Especially Philip, the scene at Kelly Lake was very disgusting. Sadly, they also camped at Coit Lake.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

he who goes without food
    Nice Work on the tree! One week its there next week its gone!

The toilet paper truly was disheartening

Is now still the time?

Sunday 1/8/12 Domino Pond Activity

Henry W. Coe State Park Adventures again.

Saturday was great. Pliebenberg split off after the East Cross Canyon tree removal and went back another way. The rest of us decided to return via Cross Canyon West where there was another large, but not as large oak across the trail, which we removed. Pictures later I expect. Yes there is a low hanging pine towards the bottom still, but we didn't stop to cut that one down (you hardly even notice it on a bike if you're average sized). Saturday was a great day. All of us seemed to have commitments that evening, so somehow we managed to get back to HH by 4pm. That's amazing.

Sunday Super-Stoker and some girl friends wanted to ride in Coe so I hitched a ride and started out with them, and after Anza I split off up the Grapevine to head directly to the Domino Pond tree site to begin working on the reroute. Later the girls would come and scoop me up on the way back.

First I stopped on the Grapevine at the place where the trail goes under a large fallen oak tree. A couple of years ago this tree fell across the trail and our solution was a short reroute which involved actually going under one of the main tree trunk limbs. At the time the trunk section was about 14 feet above the reroute. That tree is settling and rotting, and has subsided nearly four feet I reckon. It's to be expected, and in a couple of years something will have to happen. Meantime on our return descending the Grapevine on Saturday I again noticed that one of the branches was dangerously encroaching the trail due to the settling of the slowly rotting tree. Hence I made a quick stop to saw off this piece.

Before:

After:

Yes I tied on some pink ribbon garbage on it. In all it wasn't really a huge hazard, but I really could see a cyclist clipping a left wing on that piece I took out.

The tree across Domino Pond Trail:

That tree is a magnificent specimen. It is too big to remove. It is also something to see. The DPR guidelines advise a reroute. Going below the original trail grade is not sustainable due to the fact that it is a riparian drainage area prone to being a swamp etc. Therefore the reroute must go above the wreckage. Previous recon identified the route, dictated by best
    practice and topography. This is a straight forward job.

My girl friends:

My quiver:

Here is a shot of most of the reroute area at the conclusion of the 3 solid hours I put in actually working on the reroute. It's hard to see in this photo (I know) but there are blue flags marking the contouring alignment. The job is not finished.

Tree section before:

Tree section after:

The reroute is usable as is, and I fully expect it to be readily adopted. The west end was not linked properly to the trail yet. The main thing left to do is to properly bench and shape the tread. The west end, towards Cattle Duster, will go under an oak tree. The blue flagging is very obvious and advertises the new route.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 01-09-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: grammar
    SOrCerer

Is now still the time?

More Photos from 1/7-1/8/2012

Saturday Plymmer spotted something balloon-like and came back with a clutch of them.

We counted 14 balloons! I am astonished.

Not to be outdone, Pliebenberg responds with a gory offering of even more horrid ballons.

Low clearance:
    :
    By the wicket.

Last edited by Sorcerer; 01-09-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Nice work on Cross Canyon, Sorcerer and crew. I saw the tree you removed just after I passed you guys on my way down into the canyon. I did happen to notice the branch hanging over the trail near the bottom and thought to myself, "This might be a problem on a horse."

I missed the turnoff for Kelly Cabin Canyon and ended up climbing out on Cross Canyon East. I knew something was amiss when the trail continued to ascend the hillside. It turned out to be a good thing considering the mechanical I had.

Hope to see you next weekend at trail work. I just checked the forecast and rain isn't predicted until the following Wednesday. Hopefully there will be lots of it.

Travis

Is now still the time?

Quick sketch

Blue is the new route. Yellow is the old route.
    SOrCerer

Medium?
    Saturday is on, yes? I've got an injury, but I can probably be somewhat helpful depending on the tasks...

Is now still the time?

Earth Shattering Trail Building

Ed, yes, it's on for this Saturday and Sunday (1/14-1/15).

Earth Shattering Trail Building

Get better!
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track

Blue line it is; props to Rogue Hoe

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post

Blue is the new route. Yellow is the old route.
    The "Earth Shattering Trail Building" Sunday installment was much more mellow today on the Domino Pond Trail than it was on yesterday's JDT "clodfest"; here's a time lapse of the new route around the tree being benched:

Sorcerer and Marty (a MTBR lurker from so long ago I couldn't find his handle in the directory) are in green; I changed from yellow to brown as the day heated up. Incredible weather for mid-January!

Maybe Marty can post with his MTBR stage name??? (Working with several cracked ribs a-healing he did a great job!)

The dirt on this side of the park was so nice and soft all I needed was a Rogue Hoe to dig the section I was benching.

Photobucket
    Marty tries the new trail from its west end.

Photobucket
    Marty has passed the stream crossing as Sorcerer changes out of his work boots into his riding shoes.

Photobucket
    Sorcerer westbound...

Photobucket
    ...and eastbound.

Photobucket
    The photo does not do justice to the 30% grade Sorcerer is pulling a tool-laden BOB up...

Photobucket
    ...and he can manage a smile as he reaches the top of Domino! (His bike does have special "Coe" gearing FWIW!)

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    The "Earth Shattering Trail Building" Sunday installment was much more mellow today on the Domino Pond Trail than it was on yesterday's JDT "clodfest"....

The dirt on this side of the park was so nice and soft all I needed was a Rogue Hoe to dig the section I was benching....
    Great work out there, guys! Though I must say, all the talk of the dirt being nice and soft is just plain mean...

-D

More pie please
    At the intersection of Grapevine and Anza:

A Park maintenance truck would easily be able to drive up Grapevine Road to here.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Also the crown on the tree landed on Grapevine road - so you really want to take Anza and not mess with trying to get down through the crown of the tree, and likewise you don't want to come up Grapevine road from Coit until someone has cleared the tree!

Lots of poison oak encroaching on Grapevine, especially in the 100 foot section from the downed tree to the little pond.

middle ring single track

Thanks...

At the intersection of Grapevine and Anza:

A Park maintenance truck would easily be able to drive up Grapevine Road to here.

///Charlie
    ...Charlie and Greg; I've passed this along to the DPR.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast