Let's ride

Please read and strongly consider going to the LaHonda meeting 12/4

Please consider what's going on in this thread.
    La Honda Bike Exclusion Protest: 12/4/2007

There's a lot of history behind our trails and the decisions that will decide their future. Let's establish cyclists as a reasonable, notable presence in the community. Help MidPen manage our land and trails in an equitable manner. This starts by cyclists appearing in public meetings in a united manner. We must put forth clear and reasonable requests for more trail access.

There are many many many folks on these boards much smarter about working with MidPen than I.

I'm hear just to ask that you, your friends, family make it to the meeting with your helmets. Nothing to speak or say, just unite. Someone among us will do those honors. If we can get some firm commitment numbers, maybe we then can go after radio or TV coverage.

I'm hoping for commitment to appear, and more than 100 folks. We can get 400 people to Kennedy, 600 to Appetite ride, 3000+ to read "MTBR needs a singles forum', 900+ to read "MTBR needs a bonghit forum"...need I say more?

Folks, let's get off our collective asses and do this one and see where it leads.
    Last edited by rensho; 11-27-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Let's ride
    save

mmm
    I'll be there. To contrast the helmets, the better dressed the better. suits, slacks, collared shirts....
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    I'm gonna try to make it. I work in Morgan Hill, but might "telecommute" that day. I've never attended these meetings, so I'd like to get an idea of how The Process works. (The Process: Reminds me of the movie "The Spanish Prisoner." The viewer never finds out what The Process is, but it's referred to canonically. Hopefully not the case with MidPen.)

Let's ride
    Thanks folks. I'm coming from work 40mi away as well. Sucks, but hopefully worth it.

mmm
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Thanks folks. I'm coming from work 40mi away as well. Sucks, but hopefully worth it.
    Carpool options? I'll be coming from Redwood City and can take three more.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Camaro

I may take a bit of flak on this one but here goes.. I am thinking of riding up to this. It will be a road ride of course. It will also be cold as he11 coming back. It it rains I won't show up.
    Mid Penn likes to pose as an environmentally friendly agency. Obviously they do many good things for the environment. I would never deny that having worked by their side for 6 years in State Parks. I think they miss the boat environmentally, by being so quick to rule out bikes though. I know a few very experienced riders who ride from their house and all around the very area that this meeting will address. I use to be one of them having lived in Portola State Park for 4 years.
    I'm not putting anyone down who drives to trailheads. I am just pointing out that as bicyclists we aren't forced to drive a big trailer and truck to a trailhead as equestrians are. I really don't even know if they decided to allow horses in this preserve either. It may not have the effect intended but it will be a nice ride until it's time drop back down.
    I will probably leave from Cal Train's Menlo Park station around 2:30 to 2:45 (whatever the closest train to that time is). If you want to join me shoot me a PM. Hopefully our environmentally correct friends at Mid Penn will have a nice safe place to park a bicycle. If this meeting doesn't go our way then I may just hop a ride with someone back and sell my bikes and get a "bitc** camaro."

Paper or plastic?
    Please consider what's going on in this thread.
    La Honda Bike Exclusion Protest: 12/4/2007

There's a lot of history behind our trails and the decisions that will decide their future. Let's establish cyclists as a reasonable, notable presence in the community. Help MidPen manage our land and trails in an equitable manner. This starts by cyclists appearing in public meetings in a united manner. We must put forth clear and reasonable requests for more trail access.

There are many many many folks on these boards much smarter about working with MidPen than I.

I'm hear just to ask that you, your friends, family make it to the meeting with your helmets. Nothing to speak or say, just unite. Someone among us will do those honors. If we can get some firm commitment numbers, maybe we then can go after radio or TV coverage.

I'm hoping for commitment to appear, and more than 100 folks. We can get 400 people to Kennedy, 600 to Appetite ride, 3000+ to read "MTBR needs a singles forum', 900+ to read "MTBR needs a bonghit forum"...need I say more?

Folks, let's get off our collective asses and do this one and see where it leads.
    I can't make it but you probably should make one of the threads a sticky. Also, if you brougth turkey, bongs and made it a singles blind date night, the turnout would be awesome!!
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

rj2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Portola Vince
    If this meeting doesn't go our way then I may just hop a ride with someone back and sell my bikes and get a "bitc** camaro."
    Just don't run over your neighbors.
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

~~~~~~~

I'll be there.

I'll live here...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...0169&z=15&om=1

and i'm going to work from home and probably do a ride in Skeggs first (12:30-1)- if you want to join me, let me know. You're welcome to shower after if you like or we could ride THROUGH La Honda Creek OS to the meeting ok, probably not the best idea.

mtbr member

Great Idea!!!

I may take you up on that offer DD. I am pretty sure i rode with you one Sunday a few weeks back you were riding Francis's white nomad at Demo. I plan on being at this meeting and riding before would be great since i have never been to Skeggs. I have some friends who live right in La Honda i just told them about this meeting since there locals maybe they may give us some support. Send me a message to let me know where you want to meet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    I'll live here...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...0169&z=15&om=1

and i'm going to work from home and probably do a ride in Skeggs first (12:30-1)- if you want to join me, let me know. You're welcome to shower after if you like or we could ride THROUGH La Honda Creek OS to the meeting ok, probably not the best idea.

~~~~~~~
    You can park at my house, we'll just ride in from there if that works. How long of a ride do you want to do? We could do a two your loo?. Say meet at 12:50, ride by 1:00? I'll be on my SS too. Its only a 4 minute drive or 4 minute ride from my place to the meeting location. Downside is its more like a 20 minute return in the dark uphill. Maybe bring your light just in case. I'll probably ride down regardless.

Let's ride
    Francois and others? You guys making it out there with your helmets? I doubt if we need to wear our helmets. Having them in our possession while standing there is more than enough of a message and sign of unity.

mtbr member
    I will be there at 12:50 I am guessing from my house in San Jose It will take me about 45 minutes to your house i will leave here around noon. My lights suck i will bring my old road rat light , we can talk about ride time at your place , looking forward to this !

You can park at my house, we'll just ride in from there if that works. How long of a ride do you want to do? We could do a two your loo?. Say meet at 12:50, ride by 1:00? I'll be on my SS too. Its only a 4 minute drive or 4 minute ride from my place to the meeting location. Downside is its more like a 20 minute return in the dark uphill. Maybe bring your light just in case. I'll probably ride down regardless.

~~~~~~~
    Francois and others? You guys making it out there with your helmets? I doubt if we need to wear our helmets. Having them in our possession while standing there is more than enough of a message and sign of unity.

FC- c'mon, dip your toes back in.

mtbr member
    I will be there. Will there be a problem if I show up late? I won't be done at Hastings until 3:30pm. The meeting is from 4-7 pm, isn't it?

sunnyside up

the meeting is an "OPEN HOUSE"

The meeting is an "OPEN HOUSE"

Usually what that means is that there is no single presentation, and they have all the materials set out for you to look at on easels, and tables where you can write comments. This is probably NOT going to be your standard "public hearing" where they give a presentation into a microphone, with a powerpoint at the beginning, and then take public comments by having individuals come to a podium to speak. It also means that if you can't get there until 6pm, you probably won't miss anything, so those of you who have to work until 5pm can still get there and learn what you can, and provide your comments. And if you hate speaking in public you will probably be relieved, because this will be conversational rather than oratorial.

From the MROSD website:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    La Honda Creek Master Plan

Project Milestones + Updates
    Next Steps
    December 4, 2007. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Draft Plan Open House
    Early 2008. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1st Public Hearing on Draft Plan
    Spring 2008. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Final Plan and Environmental Review
    Late Spring 2008. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2nd Public Hearing and Plan Adoption

Open House for the La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve Master Plan
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007
    4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
    The Mountain Terrace
    17285 Skyline Boulevard
    Woodside, California 94062
    (At the corner of Skyline Boulevard (Highway 35) and Woodside Road (Highway 84), across the street from Alice’s Restaurant)

Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District is pleased to announce the release of the La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve Draft Master Plan! We invite members of the public to come learn about and study the Draft Plan recommendations in preparation for an upcoming Public Hearing. The recommendations are true to the District’s mission and incorporate many of the comments and ideas the District received from neighbors, agencies, Preserve users, and local organizations.
    Please join us at this informal event where members of the Project Team will be present to answer your questions. This is an opportunity to preview the Plan and provide early input. For more information, please read the Winter 2007 Newsletter.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    People, please download the Winter 2007 Newsletter and read it. They are being very clear that they are NOT planning on allowing bikes on any of the trails. The Bay Area Ridge Trail alignment shown is a bone they are throwing you to try to keep you from biting their heads off. Don't fall for it. How exactly are they planning to provide a connection from the red ban to Windy Hill? What, up Old La Honda road? Niiice.

Patty

Let's ride
    Patty, thanks for the notes and timeline. It is great to know that there might still be time to request changes to the master plan.

As Charlie pointed out on all of the previous threads, looks like there were a few opportunities in the last 12 months for input as well, but I missed all of them. Hopefully future displays of interests from our community will plant more seeds and create discussion for mitigation rather than the current disinterests or bans.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is there is special paper for comments?
    Or we can prepare template and everyone will bring one with signature?

Single list with bunch of signatures is ok but it's easy to discard, 2" stack of paper with every sheet backet by individual is "heavy" argument.

This also would allow to gather more comment-signature from folks who can't attend. Weekend is coming and we can have collecting spots to gather those (Demo/Skeggs/SC/SG other palces parking lots)

Also I'm curious why it's not a policy for cycling involved companies to bring everyone into those activities, arent it their job security?
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

Let's ride
    Stalk, it is truly amazing the lack of support and drive from bike mfgs. Sure seems like job security to me, but I guess I don't understand. Maybe for the same reasons why this people on this very board could care less about this thread, or what it means to their trails. My close friends don't care, which is my own shortcoming.
    Last edited by rensho; 11-29-2007 at 12:02 PM.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    I'll be there. I'll dress us a hiker and infiltrate.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's just interesting how you got many Equisterians on those meeting vs. MTB while on the trails it's way around. I bet those guys bringing the whole ranch with staff to "represent"

Imagine whole Specialized and Marin campuses show up on every important occasion.

Anyway, so what about templates and signed comment sheets?
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk
    It's just interesting how you got many Equisterians on those meeting vs. MTB while on the trails it's way around. I bet those guys bringing the whole ranch with staff to "represent"

Imagine whole Specialized and Marin campuses show up on every important occasion.

Well, did you look at what time it's at and where it's located?

Who would you think that favors: the equestrian owners who live down the gilded trail in a Woodside manor or the MTB rider who lives in an east San Jose section 8 apartment?

Why not 3 p.m. on a Saturday at REI in Saratoga? They have a meeting room in the back.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Brazilian

Who would you think that favors: the equestrian owners who live down the gilded trail in a Woodside manor or the MTB rider who lives in an east San Jose section 8 apartment?

Why not 3 p.m. on a Saturday at REI in Saratoga? They have a meeting room in the back.
    Good point, and I've always wondered this myself. I wonder if any non 4-7pm people have asked, and what the answers were. Also, I wonder if MTB'ers would show up on a weekend.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk

Rather than Trailhead or Passion having Demo days, maybe they can have free coffee and snacks day, bike clinics, etc on these very same meeting spots/days.

In the end, it is kinda simple. Numbers talk. Squeaky wheels get oil. If you don't ask, you don't get. It's who you know. Early bird... So far, the score around here is Horses 1000, MTB'rs 6.

mtbr member
    Good point, and I've always wondered this myself. I wonder if any non 4-7pm people have asked, and what the answers were. Also, I wonder if MTB'ers would show up on a weekend.
    Or maybe later on a weekday. I'd do 7 - 10 p.m. (or 6 - 9 p.m.) in a pedalstroke.

~~~~~~~

yeah, but think about it this way though. if you had a park (like city park) that was going to opened up right outside your apartment and the number one user was going to be 5-12 year olds playing soccer, baseball on the weekends at the butt crack of dawn in "your back yard" wouldn't you want the meeting about the park's plans in your back yard and not in the rich suburb 15 miles away from where the kids are being shuttled in from? this isn't about exclusion, necessarily, its about satisfying those who will likely use ando live with the way the park is managed on a daily basis.

the point is to satisfy the locals first, then the users from further away. its their back yard, like it or not.

mtbr member
    yeah, but think about it this way though. if you had a park (like city park) that was going to opened up right outside your apartment and the number one user was going to be 5-12 year olds playing soccer, baseball on the weekends at the butt crack of dawn in "your back yard" wouldn't you want the meeting about the park's plans in your back yard and not in the rich suburb 15 miles away from where the kids are being shuttled in from? this isn't about exclusion, necessarily, its about satisfying those who will likely use ando live with the way the park is managed on a daily basis.

the point is to satisfy the locals first, then the users from further away. its their back yard, like it or not.
    Point taken, and somewhat agreed to.

Aren't you in walking distance of the meeting place?!

Another suggestion would be to hold a pre-meeting where they obtain input from immediate local residents* (based on ZIP code or some other objective metric), then schedule the open meeting at a time and location that's more public-friendly.

*For example, I'm sure those folks on Swett and Star Hill Roads would want some input if MROSD allowed a Starbucks cart, replete with HotSpot and Herman Miller lounge chairs, at the west entrance to ECdM. And rightfully so!

~~~~~~~
    Point taken, and somewhat agreed to.

Aren't you in walking distance of the meeting place?!

Another suggestion would be to hold a pre-meeting where they obtain input from immediate local residents* (based on ZIP code or some other objective metric), then schedule the open meeting at a time and location that's more public-friendly.

*For example, I'm sure those folks on Swett and Star Hill Roads would want some input if MROSD allowed a Starbucks cart, replete with HotSpot and Herman Miller lounge chairs, at the west entrance to ECdM. And rightfully so!

man, i would love a starbucks up there. i have to ride down to four corners (Alice's) on weekend mornings to keep from getting a caffeine headache- and the coffee sucks.

i actually think midpen has done a good job of having meetings in various locations. not another cliche, but you can satisfy some of the people some of the time......

i do think they could hold the meeting a little later in the evening though, even a hour later. maybe longer since its an open house?

mtbr member
    the coffee sucks.
    Hmmm, I smell a market opportunity in that area. Since it's in Woodside*, call it Bigbucks. But might infringe on Buck's.

*West of I-280 Woodside.

i do think they could hold the meeting a little later in the evening though, even a hour later. maybe longer since its an open house?
    That would be nice. I'm still trying to find a way here at work so I can make it to the meeting on Tuesday. Is WiFi available at this Mountain House place?

~~~~~~~
    Hmmm, I smell a market opportunity in that area. Since it's in Woodside*, call it Bigbucks. But might infringe on Buck's.

*West of I-280 Woodside.

That would be nice. I'm still trying to find a way here at work so I can make it to the meeting on Tuesday. Is WiFi available at this Mountain House place?

don't think so.

Ground Pounder

1000 vs 7

Maybe we should watch 300 before the meeting...

So far, the score around here is Horses 1000, MTB'rs 6.
    I'll be there with a helmet to spare just in case. I'll probably even shave and wear a shirt w/ buttons.

The turnout from MTBR is looking like it'll be kind of sad. I'll try to bring some friends along as well, but I don't have high hopes. This is why we lose out...
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

Let's ride
    I just received this from the Project Manager for the La Honda project. Is this a real thoughtful response, or am I just getting blown?

================================================== ======
    Dear Thomas,

I will definitely be at the Open House, I hope to see you there. And yes, we have been receiving numerous emails from the cycling community requesting access to the Preserve. We will have information at the Open House regarding all of the recommendations, including background on the Ad Hoc Committee's majority vote to limit bicycle access to the Ridge Trail. Per your question, two of the top concerns and reasons raised by the Committee include: a desire to retain a large Preserve that open to hiking and equestrian use only and operational concerns regarding the management of bicycle use. As I mentioned, we will have more information at the Open House on this topic and others.

Thanks for staying plugged into the process. Regards,
    Ana Ruiz

----- Original Message ----- From: Thomas Tran
    To: lahondamasterplan@openspace.org
    Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:02 PM
    Subject: LaHonda Creek meeting

Hi Ana, I was wondering if you were planning to be at the open house and whether you have been getting feedback from the cycling community for access to these 6000 acres. I see the plan doesn't provide for bicycle access, and I was wondering if you would list 2-3 of the top concerns as to why that was the decision.

Regards,

Thomas

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Rensho,

I think it is a very polite letter that somewhat indirectly says they are going to explain to you why "the adhoc committee" voted "No Bikes" and why MROSD is going with that over community wishes.

It seems to me 3 good questions would be who was on the Adhoc committee, who elected or appointed them, and why bother to solicit public input if you are going to ignore it?

I think it is worth noting that I first recall reading about La Honda being set aside as a "no bikes preserve quite some years ago when Betsy Crowder was still alive and on the board. I say this not to speak ill of the dead, but as a point of reference because I don't recall the exact year. I didn't post on MTBR or even know about it at the time, but was active on the ROMP list, and there seemed to be quite a lot of animosity between cyclists, MROSD, and anti-cycling activists. My perception is that things have cooled off, or maybe people have become more circumspect about what they post. In any case, some years having past, perhaps MROSD could be so good as to re-visit the issue.

It certainly seems to me that in a preserve of several thousand acres, there could be some trails open to cyclists while still having plenty of areas closed to them for the horses and bike-phobic hikers.

HC

Let's ride
    Ttt

~~~~~~~
    so, one last chance, does anyone want to ride with me on tuesday before the meeting at skeggs?

mark59 was planning to but he had a tragic weekend at demo- broken brakes, which lead to a busted face :-( not good.

mtbr member
    I'd love to be in attendance to help out, but I've already committed to another obligation. I'm going to be meeting with the Director of Santa Clara Parks and Rec and the Santa Clara Youth Commission at Calabazas Park in hopes of getting something similar built in Santa Clara. Hopefully it goes well and I can convince them it's worth while.

Let's ride
    For folks that are looking to carpool, there are 3 good places to meet up.

There is a parking lot at 280 and 84. The lot is on the SW corner of that junction.

There is a larger park and ride lot at 280 and Page Mill. It too is on the SW corner.

Further south, there is a parking lot at 280 and Foothill, SE corner. There is a Walgreen, or Safeway there.

Let's ride
    K folks. Please do your very best to show up tomorrow with helmet. Put that helmet in the car now sos yous don't forget. Seriously, it is important, and for a cause all dear to us. We need unity and numbers.

bikerbert

La Honda OSP Petition

another day at the office
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbert
    Yep, I'm signature #584
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bustamove
    Yep, I'm signature #584
    #11 here.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    two of the top concerns and reasons raised by the Committee include: a desire to retain a large Preserve that open to hiking and equestrian use only
    They already did this...Bear Creek Redwoods is totally closed to bicycles. Not only that, it has a HORSE STABLE on its premises! When do we get our bike repair shop and espresso cafe at Skeggs, and when do hikers and horses get banned there?

Seriously: if someone said "The committee has a desire to prohibit women from voting", we would all recognize this as totally discriminatory and invalid. This is no different. They have made a bad decision and should change it. If equestrians and armchair environmentalists can band together and make the district ban mountain bikers, we can band together and make them lift the ban.

he who goes without food
    The master plan for Bear Creek redwoods is not complete, this is part of the new master plan including Sierra Azul, several draft versions have been distributed to the public,most of which do include bike access of varying types for Bear Creek.

http://www.openspace.org/plans_proje...r_creek_mp.asp

he who goes without food
    Good luck to all!!!

I really wish I could attend

Pics would be great

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    One of the frustrating things about MidPen is that they will completely close a preserve until the master plan is done and partly implemented. Was it like this in the early days?

I'll be there. Anyone need a ride from Mountain View about 5 PM?

EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
    bump - i'll be there
    "Often life has many clouds, but they quickly pass"
    - Mark Pi Fortune Cookie

What would Pimpbot do?

Dude, Melt? Are you ever serious or just MTBR's favorite troll ever?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbert
    My favorite signature is #999

999. - Francois Melt Vanderspuy - Chico, CA
    "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." - D.H. Lawrence

Surly OG
    I'm sitting in the mtn terrace now, perhaps 30 mtber - handful of helmets.

it's open house format, no formal gallery seating, kiosks / tables - informational.

lots of chatter -a few hayburner fans - some old timers.

overheard oldtimers.... they were comiserating on the changing paradigm.

theres some momentum and good energy, lets get on top of the gear and pull strong. This goes till 7pm.

show up if you can, make the positive impact - working active professionals. Modern day wheeled cowboys.... UNITE!!!
    Earn your turns. )'(

Surly OG
    Bring your helmets, bring your smile, bring your positive vibrations...

Come one, come all.... Lechon at the top.... j/k....

Show the Mrosd we are the new paradigm.... we come to enjoy the open space and we wont be denied!!!!

Signature #97
    Earn your turns. )'(

Surly OG
    It's interesting to watch the subversive nature of the stodgy old horse people.... definitely an eye opening experience.

There were only a few of them.... it will be interesting to see how this plays out on the 21st when the master plan draft is finalized.

Bikes belong - Please send a nice email to Anna to remind her of that fact.

Positive Vibrations - Bikes are green, they belong. It's the 21st century.

Ana Ruiz, Project Planner, at lahondamasterplan@openspace.org or (650) 691-1200.
    Earn your turns. )'(

Members who have read this thread: 0