• 01-12-2013
    plantdude
    Pleasanton Ridge conditions and recs
    Looking to ride somewhere new this weekend without having to spend much time in the car; have never been to Pleasanton Ridge so I'm going to explore out there today or tomorrow. Looks pretty straight forward as far as routes: climb up in there and explore for a few hours...

    What are the conditions like out there right now? Is there lots of crazy clay and cow-riddled trails?

    Thx
  • 01-12-2013
    Buzz Cut
    we got a little bit of rain but the trails/fireroads should be fine. by now the parking lot is stuffed with cars and there will be a ton of hikers lower down. You could also do Brushy peak NE of livermore but its small so maybe 2 hours to do all the loops however there will be no crowds.
  • 01-12-2013
    plantdude
    Thanks. Will brave the barbarian hordes. Couldn't get myself out there early in the AM; my Cali bones were waiting for it to warm up. Heading out there now...
  • 01-12-2013
    ravb
    How does one get to brushy peak?
  • 01-13-2013
    yeti575inCA
    Brushy peak- 580 east exit vaso head north. First intersection turn right down frontage road until you get to the intersection with the go kart racetrack on your left. Turn left at that stop and drive till road ends at trailhead parking lot
  • 01-13-2013
    Buzz Cut
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Brushy peak- 580 east exit vaso head north. First intersection turn right down frontage road until you get to the intersection with the go kart racetrack on your left. Turn left at that stop and drive till road ends at trailhead parking lot

    exit 580 at Vasco on the east side of Livermore go North , first right is at end of the overpass that's Northfront take it to the second left which is Laughlin go left and take it to the end of the road.
  • 01-13-2013
    plantdude
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/14/daqa3usu.jpgNot sure about this bushy peak discussion, but Pleasanton Ridge was a blast on Sat. First time there; surprised that I haven't ventured that way before on the mtn bike. Spent the afternoon exploring the extents of the park, out to the ends of most of the fire roads, and a lot of the good stuff too. Met up with a local at the start who showed me some of the goods.

    Conditions varied quite a bit: ridge trail was in great shape, although out towards the end it became pretty sloppy. Although in many places the ground/mud was frozen, even at mid afternoon, which was better than wet cold sloppy mud. A lot of mud between Sinbad Creek and the ridge.

    Can't say I'll make the drive out there very often, but definitely worth the trip from time to time when not wanting to drive too far. Will definitely have to join a night ride there. And would love to connect all the way through to Palomeres.
  • 01-13-2013
    Buzz Cut
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Not sure about this bushy peak discussion, but Pleasanton Ridge was a blast on Sat. First time there; surprised that I haven't ventured that way before on the mtn bike. Spent the afternoon exploring the extents of the park, out to the ends of most of the fire roads, and a lot of the good stuff too. Met up with a local at the start who showed me some of the goods.

    Conditions varied quite a bit: ridge trail was in great shape, although out towards the end it became pretty sloppy. Although in many places the ground/mud was frozen, even at mid afternoon, which was better than wet cold sloppy mud. Sinbad Creek trail was really wet and cold, especially when the sun dropped behind the ridge.

    Can't say I'll make the drive out there very often, but definitely worth the trip when not wanting to drive too far. Will definitely have to join a night ride there. And would love to connect all the way through to Palomeres.


    Fun place and a good workout glad you had a good time:thumbsup:
  • 01-14-2013
    cohenfive
    pleasanton ridge is a lot of fun if you know your way around..i always ride there with zorg so i don't get lost...:)
  • 01-14-2013
    benzy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantdude View Post

    Is this a view of the bay? I ride there often and have never seen this view. Where was this?
  • 01-14-2013
    pwu_1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by benzy View Post
    Is this a view of the bay? I ride there often and have never seen this view. Where was this?

    I think this is on North Ridge Trail towards the northern end of the park(where the trail is almost turning left to meet Sinbad Creek Trail) looking North-West towards Oakland
  • 01-14-2013
    plantdude
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by benzy View Post
    Is this a view of the bay? I ride there often and have never seen this view. Where was this?

    Yes this is towards the end of North Ridge Trail, just before it drops down the ridge and ends at the land bank. There's a really nice lichen-covered rock outcropping that's a perfect lunch spot. Just have to crawl under the fence to get to it. Definitely worth it to venture out to the ends of the trails. Although climbing back out from the end of Cook Canyon might not be considered fun by some...

    Anyone know the story of that strange house/barn thing up on the hill near the end of Cowing Trail?
  • 01-14-2013
    JoeBMX
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Anyone know the story of that strange house/barn thing up on the hill near the end of Cowing Trail?

    It's creepy as hell. I don't like to look at it, it feels like something is in there watching me...
  • 01-14-2013
    plantdude
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    It's creepy as hell. I don't like to look at it, it feels like something is in there watching me...

    Yeah got that same feeling, like I was being watched through a scope on a rifle...
  • 01-15-2013
    CodePoet
    I must have missed you on sat. we did roughly the same loop.

    Here was my loop on the cross bike:
    Bike Ride Profile | PRidge on the Cross bike near San Ramon | Times and Records | Strava

    a bit muddy and cold but the air was clear and the views were amazing.

    And yes that barn is creepy. Every time I ride up there I swear to go investigate it but always chicken out. ( because of time mind you...)
  • 01-19-2013
    plantdude
    Is it physically possible to access PR from anywhere on the north side? Contemplating an epic ride from home base in Oakland up through JMP, Redwood, Chabot, and then out into PR from Palomeres or other access point. Is this just a pipe dream? More doable on certain days/times? Don't mind a couple of gates, but am not going to risk being shot at...
  • 01-19-2013
    zorg
    The district owns the parcel of land that ends up at the top of Palomares. It's not open yet, and probably won't be for a few years as it's not part of the Pleasanton Ridge master plan. There is a network of fireroads that goes from the canyon up to Palomares, but they go by one or two houses if I remember correctly from my google map research. Seems fraught with issues. :)
  • 01-19-2013
    plantdude
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Seems fraught with issues. :)

    Figured so much; thanks. Guess its a no-go, for now...