PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

Pleasanton Bike Park Dig Day. Pump Track savant needed.

Sat. August 6th starting at 8am.

The call is going out for all able bodies to do some maintenance, with a special emphasis on bringing the feeble attempt of a pump track to life.

Neither of the park stewards (Manny and Shane) have any experience building pump tracks, so we need someone who really has the design skills to come and map out something really good. Many existing features are already there, we just need the guidance to modify and build in order to tie them all together.

Bring digging tools and a garage broom if you have them.

Park is on Stanley Blvd. Next to Shadow Cliffs Park.

Lightly salted
    Heres a good link to building a pump track. Its printable and has some basic specs and measurments to follow that might help you design your own pump track. I've been meaning to buid a pump track in my back yard, just havn't got around to it.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/build-y...ump-track.html

mtbr member
    Yessss p town needs a pump track!!!!! I will be living there in sept -> jan and i"ll dig form and ride every day!!!
    Ride it like you won't get another chance.

brownpow! (?)
    D'oh! Imma be @ N* that weekend, otherwise I'd be there.

is down to roll...
    If I'm not working, then I'm there bright n' early. I've only built two & both were ovals.
    -Rich

is down to roll...
    Attached are a few overlays using Google Earth views. Please let me know what you think of the layouts. The easiest is probably an oval track with cross-overs in the middle. It may also be possible to extend into the old existing berms (the red lines). The blue and green arrows indicate possible hot spots in regards to intersections and merging traffic.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pleasanton Bike Park Dig Day. Pump Track savant needed.-pbp_pt01.jpg  

Pleasanton Bike Park Dig Day. Pump Track savant needed.-pbp_pt02.jpg  

mtbr member
    I use that red alternative return route every time I am there. The basic oval pumptrack would probably be the best bet. It would be the simplest to build. The berms just can't be too tight though. The Epicenter pumptrack in Aptos starts off great but then the fourth berm is too tight to really keep your speed up. I am thinking that the red line berm inside the larger berm is too tight or maybe it was kinked?

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

The layout looks really good.

I use that Alternate return route a lot when there, but there is going to have to be some compromise/re-routing.

Getting new dirt and machinery is looking problematic.

Urban Ninja
    Unfortunately I have to work that day. Keep us updated on the progress.
    Thanks for doing this!

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

Bump.

Come on out if you can. If you live close, and ride it, it really needs your help.

is down to roll...
    wow- they broke out the bobcat and got a small dump truck's worth of dirt!

Probably 20 riders working on the track. Not really a pump track by mtb standards, but bmx track stype additions including a 5' tall table. pics to come...

ebR

is down to roll...
    actually, here are a few photos from the dig day. Shane n' Manny got the dirt on Friday and have the bobcat until Sunday. The jumps still need a lot of racking, packing in, watering, and sweeping, so if you're around on Sunday, swing by!

-Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pleasanton Bike Park Dig Day. Pump Track savant needed.-img-20110806-00087.jpg  

Pleasanton Bike Park Dig Day. Pump Track savant needed.-img-20110806-00077.jpg  

Pleasanton Bike Park Dig Day. Pump Track savant needed.-img-20110806-00085.jpg  

Feeling a little taller
    Bummer! Somehow I missed this thread!

Looks like great work!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

Sadly, not what I hoped for.

I discussed bringing the pump track to life with Shane and Manny. As per my op.
    Nothing resembling a pump track was created.
    The BMX track was super sized with a couple more 180 berms, jumps, and rollers.
    It's now a kick ass bmx run, but nothing was really done for the jumpers or pumpers.

With the amount of dirt and resources available, a stunning pump track could have been done.
    We will now pin our hopes on the super park in Elk Grove, which is due to be finished in a couple weeks.

is down to roll...
    the two rollers in the first picture where the riders are standing on top is now a tabletop that's as big as the 2nd one, and bigger than the rolling doubles just to the right of it. There are now 8 rollers at the end of the bmx track that are very pump-able, and can be doubled if you have enough speed. The jumps and berms are a lot better than yesterday. Thanks to those who came out over the weekend!
    -Rich

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i had a grate time working on this project with everyone! good job to all! i cant be leave we got so much work dune, grate day!

is down to roll...
    glad to see so many dedicated riders out there!

Here's an overlay of some of the new lines. At the end of the bmx track, you can 180 the berm and line up for two rollable tables, then hip out, pump a transition, then even double-out from the berm-to-berm line. You can pop out of the 180 berm from the rollers, berm the top of the start hill, and drop in for the two bigger tables. There's also the step-down to transfer. Dang... I'm just need my back to be stronger, and my schedule to be free!

-ebRich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pleasanton Bike Park Dig Day. Pump Track savant needed.-20110807_pbp_newlines.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    is it all packed and ready to ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How is the track coming?

Come at me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman408 View Post
    is it all packed and ready to ride?
    yes

Come at me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwrx View Post
    How is the track coming?

there is no 'dedicated' pump track. refer to post #17..pretty much exactly as drawn. new rollers added. 2 new table tops, and a couple new features.

some groms were out there 2 days ago trying to 180 on the face of the 1st new table, and roll out...without success for about 3hrs straight. nice way to kill a new face.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I just heard there was work being done here and found this thread. Will there be any more work days this year?

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

I think it's 3rd saturdays

But I'm not sure. I've kind of given up hope on a legitimate pump track.
    There are several pump-able lines in the park, but nothing close to an actual pump track.
    The park is still very worth your time and effort.

Start paying attention to the Hillride super park in Elk Grove. It should be done in a few weeks.

is down to roll...
    It was the 1st Saturday of the month, but Manny & Shane took the sign down. The 1st Saturday of September was Labor Day weekend, and they didn't want to shut down parts of the park on one of the busier days of the year.

Thanks,
    Rich

is down to roll...
    Hi all- got a text from Manny- dig day this Saturday 8a-12p.
    It'll probably be maintenance, as most of the digging is done. Hopefully, some of those lips will get fixed up.
    -Rich