mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Pigeon Pt. to Silicon Valley?

I'm planning an overnight out of SF to Pigeon Point Hostel and then over the SC mountains to Palo Alto or somewhere near there to catch Caltrain back to SF. There doesn't seem to be much info out there on how to get from the coast to the ridge. From Google, I am thinking S. Butano Fire Rd. and then the paved bike path to the ridge where I'll connect with trails heading north before heading down to Palo Alto.

Is there anything I should know about this route or does anyone have any better ideas?

Two Tired

Butano to Pescadero

Butano Fire Road to China Grade is a good way to go. Highway 236, while an easy ride, is narrow and has poor lines of sight so you really need to watch cars in both directions. It is then a long moderate pull up Highway 9 to Saratoga Gap. From there, you can take trails running roughly parallel to Skyline (Highway 35) and take either dirt Alpine Road or Windy Hill down to paved Alpine Road and then into Palo Alto.

The other reasonable path would be keep going on Cloverdale out to Pescadero Creek Road, head west out to Wurr Road which will connect into Old Haul and up to Pescadero Creek County Park and Portola Redwoods State Park. You can connect to Alpine Road up to Skyline and then take routes through Russian Ridge or dirt Alpine from the Skyline junction.

There is a bit of road riding either way, but the second route has less traffic and seems a bit safer. I think there might be a bit less climbing on the second route too, which might be important if you are hauling a lot of gear from your overnight trip.

There might be some information useful to you at trailroller.com

Have fun.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the tips and the warning about 236. I think it is still the way to go for what I am looking for.

Have you ever done Olmo? From what I can see, it looks like Butano Fire Rd. Makes more sense but thought I'd ask.

Not that concerned about climbing in general. At most, I'll be 10 pounds heavier than normal and am used to long climbs. I would like to avoid anything super steep that would require walking due to traction issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    One more question: It looks like there is no water near any legal trails. Is that what you have found to be true?

dude with orange car
    Olmo is a bit sandier with steeper sections than butano. Butano is my go to route, with olmo just used rarely fo variety.

Water, i dunno. Gas station at hwy1/gazos creek. If you hit big basin hq, water there. Fire station near 9/35.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Two Tired
    I agree with Plim that Butano is the way to go. Bring plenty of water since there isn't any en route other than the places Plim mentioned until you get to Silicon Valley. There are a few places to eat along Alpine Road before you get to 280 that are relatively bike friendly.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com