Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Sealant is composed of latex particles suspended in a water based solution. The water slowly evaporates leaving solid latex particles behind which roll around in the tire, stick together and voilą! Stans boogers.
    So I just went tubeless a few months ago. How would I know if I had that in my tire or is this kindof one of those things you run into when you change your tires?

Sweat is just fat crying.
    God, this thread grosses me out.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    So I just went tubeless a few months ago. How would I know if I had that in my tire or is this kindof one of those things you run into when you change your tires?
    It's probably a good idea every three months or so to pop a bead open and see if your sealant has dried out. The time difference between sealant top up depends on your climate. When you open you'll see if there are any boogers.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    It's probably a good idea every three months or so to pop a bead open and see if your sealant has dried out. The time difference between sealant top up depends on your climate. When you open you'll see if there are any boogers.
    Why pop off a bead? Seems like a lot of extra work and hassle reseating the bead.

I wait until the tire won't stay inflated between rides. Then remove the inner part of the presta valve. Slip a section of tubing onto the valve stem and then a small plastic bottle filled with Stans on to the tubing. I squeeze the bottle to inject the Stans into the tire. Reinstall the valve core and air up the tire with a floor pump.
    I get the plastic bottles and tubing from automotive parts shops as a brake bleeder kit.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    You know when you get a really bad sickness, and you blow your nose and greenish mucus get all over tissue? You think "how can that come out of my body?". About a quarter cup of that is spread like batter inside my tires after 4 months. Slime Pro!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Why pop off a bead? Seems like a lot of extra work and hassle reseating the bead.

I wait until the tire won't stay inflated between rides. Then remove the inner part of the presta valve. Slip a section of tubing onto the valve stem and then a small plastic bottle filled with Stans on to the tubing. I squeeze the bottle to inject the Stans into the tire. Reinstall the valve core and air up the tire with a floor pump.
    I get the plastic bottles and tubing from automotive parts shops as a brake bleeder kit.
    That's how giant boogers develop. Keep adding sealant and it keeps growing. It's no big deal to partially remove a bead to take a look inside. I don't even take the wheel of the bike.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    It's no big deal to partially remove a bead to take a look inside. I don't even take the wheel of the bike.

Its a big deal if you don't have a compressor and can not get the bead reseated with a floor pump.
    The Stans boogers are not big deal to me. I run the tire down to slick status and throw the boogers away with the tire.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Its a big deal if you don't have a compressor and can not get the bead reseated with a floor pump.
    The Stans boogers are not big deal to me. I run the tire down to slick status and throw the boogers away with the tire.
    That's where you differ from me. I'll never use a tire or system that can't be seated/inflated with just a floor pump. Seen one to many converted tubeless tires fail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Almost enough to start a little league team...

hehehehe love the colors (c;

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member

Picture Thread: Lets see those tire gremlins!

Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Anyone know if that Orange Sealant creates boogers?

Yes it does...they say no, but I have proof, you get orange gremlins...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'd keep my boogies longer if it didnt rattle. Maybe carbon wheels cause more noise than alum. Sounds like plastic beads rolling around.

It ain't easy being Green
    Ever tried selling those things on a street corner? In my 'hood you'd get $50 an eighth :-)

Now older but less slow!

I discovered this monster this morning. I sent in the armed warriors to deal with it

Picture Thread: Lets see those tire gremlins!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374378154.717860.jpg

mtbr member
    That's where you differ from me. I'll never use a tire or system that can't be seated/inflated with just a floor pump. Seen one to many converted tubeless tires fail.
    When the boogers get big you can hear them bouncing around in the tire. I almost took apart my front hub once trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. Luckily I looked in the tire first.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

Lusus Naturae
    Keep the boogers in your tire! It is scientifically proven that having the matter rolling around in the tire helps propel you forward faster on flats!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I think they are called stananimals

Picture Thread: Lets see those tire gremlins!-stananimals.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Anyone know if that Orange Sealant creates boogers?

Not yet on mine, but it's only been like 3 months
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Merendon Junkie
    My first gremlin! Why the hatin'? I think its a rather adorable and charismatic little guy.

Picture Thread: Lets see those tire gremlins!-image.jpg

Picture Thread: Lets see those tire gremlins!-image.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Not yet on mine, but it's only been like 3 months
    Yes it does, without a doubt, they are orange with little metal flakes in them

n00bie
    Apr 2010
    Meh.... I have tubeless ready rims and tires but the hefty dent the rear wheel took requires a compressor now to get it sealed. Holds fine once it's on but I stick with Brewtality's approach unless I hear one rattling around when I spin the wheels.

It definitely seems like overkill to unseat a tire just to check for buildup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2