Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

photos from the wreck +update

Hey everyone, Forrester Ed Orre from Demo Forest sent me a CD today of some accident pics. Those guys are truly awesome. Here they are and I'll add some current events.

Here I am smiling as the cavalry arrives:

It felt really good to get strapped on to this board. It game me a nice sense of security. Three hours later, I was still on this board going in and out of the Cat Scan tunnel. It was hell!!

Here is the cavalry. When the shock wore off and the pain set in, I just wanted to be in a bed with some drugs and get some rest. The minutes count at that point. Many, many thanks to everyone who rushed to get help and those that rushed in to help.

Here's my two lieutenants... good friend derek and cousin ray.

Here's my expensive ride to the hospital. It came right off the set of 'Airwolf'.

When I got home, the kids got scared. But they got used to it.

But now I'm 98% good. The kids beat me up at every opportunity. I get my teeth completed this week. Miguel whacked his teeth last year and we needed to have them pulled out last week. It might be a while til they grow back.

Any trails in Arnold, Bear Valley? My sister bought a house there! And I can get a key. We paid a visit and there's lots of trees there.

So thanks for the well wishes. I'm almost ready to mtb. I rode last week and didn't feel like a sick person, just slooooow. We'll have a bigass ride-party soon. Rangers and Foresters invited!

francois
    Last edited by francois; 08-07-2006 at 12:53 PM.
    IPA will save America

I'm new here, so can you point me to the thread that explains what happened? Or maybe a quick explanation of how and where?

mtbr member

Wow!!!!

Those photos really tell the story of what happened. It looks like they really treated you well and your all patched up the right way. Its nice to see you have a great spirit and ready to get back on the bike asap. Hope to see you on the trails soon.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Great to hear. I too will be ready to go pretty soon. Yes there is good riding around Bear Valley/Arnold area, atleast that is what Ive read on this site. I think Ogre has mentioned it before.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_g33k
    I'm new here, so can you point me to the thread that explains what happened? Or maybe a quick explanation of how and where?

Ahh, you don't want to read the other thread. It'll take all day.

Here is the log. It is on Ridge trail right after the Tractor Trail junction. There's three jumps in sequence and this is the second one.

I've done a hundred times without even a bobble. In fact, in twelve years, I've never gone down hard since I just ride in my comfort zone. That being said, I really don't know how to react or escape when things go wrong! When trees attack...

So that day, we had a ton of people. There were a couple of people blocking the line to the second jump but folks were doing it anyway. I did it, tapped my brake too much and approached it from an angle and not really paying attention. See that knot on the right side of the end of the log? My front wheel went to the side of that and fell. Instead of bailing, I continued to hop and never left the bike. My hands and face hit the ground with maximum leverage.

Seconds after I hit the ground, I thought $10k-6months. That's how much it's going to cost me in dollars and time. Funny how my brain is analytical sometimes.

Then I felt sad and just wanted to go home. It's a good thing 60 of my good friends were there to help me.

francois
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by francois; 08-07-2006 at 03:32 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Glad to hear your recovery is going well.

Get back on the bike soon. (I mean real bike )

Student
    glad to hear ur getting better.
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

aka baycat
    Francois

congrats on the progess..

Second pic is a funny one, like what the fack is happening to me as strapped in so tight.

Ryan

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Second pic is a funny one, like what the fack is happening to me as strapped in so tight.Ryan
    That same thought went through my mind re that pic.

Heal well and fast, go hard on the arnica cream..
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Groveland Trail Heads

Nice to hear

from you, Francois Glad you are healing. Can't wait for the "Return of Francois ride"... maybe we could schedule a "Return of Francois and Sean" ride
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

Silence! I kill you!
    I think that second pic should show up as the Photo Caption Contest photo

On a serious note, I loved watching Airwolf while growing up (yes, I'm that young)

Glad to hear you're gettin better, and when you are abel to ride, a good Demo party/BBQ might be in order!
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    from you, Francois Glad you are healing. Can't wait for the "Return of Francois ride"... maybe we could schedule a "Return of Francois and Sean" ride
    Yes, we should rent some cruisers and then just ride them around Vasona Park. That way, we'll make sure nobody gets hurt.

Glad to know that the uberlord is getting better.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Team Chilidog!
    Glad yer feeling better. Get back on da bike soon!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

my legs are sore
    Lots of riding around Arnold, Big Trees, Angels Camp and Bear Valley. A lot of it is old logging roads and 4x4 roads, but there is a decent amount of singletrack if you know where to find it.

Where is the cabin? If it's in Blue Lake, there's a network of trails behind the subdivision that aren't mapped. If you're in Lakemont Pines, there's another series of trails behind the subdivision that you can also get to from Avery Sheep Ranch Road. Most of those trails have been mapped out. Stop at the Forest Service Headquarters in Hathaway Pines (along Highway 4) and ask for the "Interface Trails" map.

Bear Valley is a fun place to ride. The trails aren't as long as the ones around Tahoe, but you can always connect a few. The Adventure Company (first store on your left as you turn off the highway) has a good booklet of trails in the area.

Let me know if you want any more info.

mtbr member

Looking good

there Ultralord glad the recovery is going well and your back on the bike.
    take care and I'll see you soon.

CrAzY AnNdY
    1man 1gear 1speed

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    yeah glad the recovery is moving right along!!! I'll have to do a celebratory "Francis Ride" with you when you're ready to hit the trails again!!

mtbr member
    Glad to see you are healing well. Can't wait to the "Return of Francois and Sean" ride.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay
    Lots of riding around Arnold, Big Trees, Angels Camp and Bear Valley. A lot of it is old logging roads and 4x4 roads, but there is a decent amount of singletrack if you know where to find it.

Where is the cabin? If it's in Blue Lake, there's a network of trails behind the subdivision that aren't mapped. If you're in Lakemont Pines, there's another series of trails behind the subdivision that you can also get to from Avery Sheep Ranch Road. Most of those trails have been mapped out. Stop at the Forest Service Headquarters in Hathaway Pines (along Highway 4) and ask for the "Interface Trails" map.

Bear Valley is a fun place to ride. The trails aren't as long as the ones around Tahoe, but you can always connect a few. The Adventure Company (first store on your left as you turn off the highway) has a good booklet of trails in the area.

Let me know if you want any more info.

The cabin/house is in Mill Woods subdivision. Manuel street from Highway 4.

Do you live around there? I'm not ready to ride yet but I'd like to ride with someone who knows the trails when the time comes. Me and trail maps just don't get along.

francois
    IPA will save America

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    On a serious note, I loved watching Airwolf while growing up (yes, I'm that young)
    Here you go... since I'm in a giving mood.

fc
    IPA will save America

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Glad the new teeth are in and that you're well on your way to recovery.

Coming up to the accident scene was among the scarier points in my mtb career. We can do without any more of those.

Cool chopper. For that price, do you get to keep it? Can i try flying it?

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Here you go... since I'm in a giving mood.

fc
    I loved that show. It is cool how he can get that chopper in and out of that cave.

jrm
    mtbr member

Glad to hear your gettin better..

And that youve punished the kiddie wheeled bike appropriately...

This pics kinda creepy..i guess im watching to much forensic files and not enuf PINKS..

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    When I hit, I thought $10k-6months. That's how much it's going to cost me in dollars and time. Funny how my brain is analytical sometimes.

Thanks for the quick explanation. Glad to hear your recovery is coming along. It truly is funny the things that you think or say right after a life determining event happens. I've had a few of those moments in life and it's always funny to remember what was said.

Typical Mountain Biker
    Glad to hear that you are doing better francois.

I was just starting to lurk on mtbr when the big demo ride and accident took place. I have never met you but after reading all the threads I feel like I know you a little. Also, every time I get passed by Derek on your SS, I can't help but think of you... Hope to see you on the trails soon!
    Dude with a single track mind.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hey Francis. Good to see you healing and with a positive outlook. Are you going with dental implants? I did and it was worth the $$$'s. If you have any questions about them, let me know. Once they do surgury, it takes about 6 months of healing before they put in the posts and new teeth. You'll be LOOKING GOOD in no time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast