Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4

    Photos from Prairie City Race Series

    First race-day of the 2013 season from Prairie City Race Series -

    Photos are here.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    108
    I have always wanted to do this race but I live 2.5 hours from it so it is hard to get down there, but who knows maybe I will make this year.

  3. #3
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,723
    Great pics Tim! Thanks for coming out...

    Great turnout last night....nearly 400 racers apparently.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ICE4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    147
    Thats my little bro. Photo 149, bike number 662.

    Go Ken!!!
    Looking for that perfect trail…again…and…again…and…again…

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,523
    I managed to dodge all of the photographers last night. I was like a ghost.
    :wq

  6. #6
    Type A
    Reputation: Overhillthruthewoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    366
    If you want to create more interest, I would suggest one or a combination of the following:

    Don't show any pictures
    Heavily photoshop the pictures so that the course looks really challenging or cool instead of a giant dusty dirt parking lot
    Show pictures from a different race course altogether

    Sorry, but I gotta be a hater on this one... How 400 people pay money to race this course is beyond me.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    If you want to create more interest, I would suggest one or a combination of the following:

    Don't show any pictures
    Heavily photoshop the pictures so that the course looks really challenging or cool instead of a giant dusty dirt parking lot
    Show pictures from a different race course altogether

    Sorry, but I gotta be a hater on this one... How 400 people pay money to race this course is beyond me.
    Because what other local race are you going to do? (not YOU, you, but the general you, because I know you aren't going to race)
    Although I do agree with your sentiment, I'll try and make it to one or two this year.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squareback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post

    Sorry, but I gotta be a hater on this one... How 400 people pay money to race this course is beyond me.
    Simple: No poison oak. Granite Bay is now unsuitable for racing, Cool will be soon, so out into the no-bush zone it is.

    Even Browns Ravine is almost impassable in the less traveled spots.

    Besides, the lines are trickier than smooth single track, and it is nice to be able to pass without being (inadvertently) blocked. Of course, this goes both ways.

  9. #9
    Type A
    Reputation: Overhillthruthewoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Because what other local race are you going to do? (not YOU, you, but the general you, because I know you aren't going to race)
    Although I do agree with your sentiment, I'll try and make it to one or two this year.
    This would be like sleeping with Whoopi Goldberg simply because she's a female and you are horny. Man, ya gotta have some standards.

    Everyone be on the lookout for my upcoming race series. It's going to be in target's parking lot. I've been busy spray painting the course and lining up 20% off coupons redeemable for any of their sporting goods for all the winners. Hey man at least it's racing. Gonna be dope.

  10. #10
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,524
    as much as i share your pain, you are barking up the wrong tree with that one man. People in norcal are fiends for any type of racing. Most of my riding friends blow thousands of dollars on race entry fees and gas money like its nothing.

  11. #11
    Type A
    Reputation: Overhillthruthewoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    as much as i share your pain, you are barking up the wrong tree with that one man. People in norcal are fiends for any type of racing. Most of my riding friends blow thousands of dollars on race entry fees and gas money like its nothing.
    I actually don't have an issue with those that race, but it doesn't mean that you can't be more discriminating in the races you choose. I also think we should be a lot more vocal in expressing to these promoters that some of us expect a lot more. Let's be honest, prairie city is a horrible course. We live in California, yet there are courses in craphole midwestern states that are way better than this one. That's pretty sad. One member above talked about hoping to do this race, but he lived 2.5 hours away. Trust me, don't waste your time.

    Let's help our race crazed friends see the light. I'm ok with this being their addiction, but I'm hoping that these words will steer them away from this low grade crystal meth.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darth tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    I actually don't have an issue with those that race, but it doesn't mean that you can't be more discriminating in the races you choose. I also think we should be a lot more vocal in expressing to these promoters that some of us expect a lot more. Let's be honest, prairie city is a horrible course. We live in California, yet there are courses in craphole midwestern states that are way better than this one. That's pretty sad. One member above talked about hoping to do this race, but he lived 2.5 hours away. Trust me, don't waste your time.

    Let's help our race crazed friends see the light. I'm ok with this being their addiction, but I'm hoping that these words will steer them away from this low grade crystal meth.
    Have you even raced out there? It is a well run racing series. One of the best that I have participated in. Results posted hours after the race, live results at the venue, photos all over the place and tons of competition. All for a pretty low price and every Wed. Thats really hard to beat for a weekday race series.

  13. #13
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,787
    Sometimes it's not about the terrain as much as it's about the friends, competition, camaraderie, and workout. Nobody in their right mind would go to Prairie City OHV on a Saturday to get a ride in, but for some reason, they draw 400+ racers on a weeknight (10 weeks in a row) when TBF is lucky to get 200+ to Granite Bay on a nice Saturday. Why? Of course entry fees matter, but a common complaint about GB is "why would I pay $50 to race something I ride all the time?" With Prairie City, part of the unusual draw is "I wonder what course they'll set up this week?" PC might not be anything special, but it offers a wide variety of terrain, and there are always fun sections and hard sections. It is mountain biking. And when you're heart is bursting out of your lungs, you're usually not thinking about how lame PC is as a mt. biking venue... you're too busy trying to pass the people in front of you, or not get passed by the people behind you.

    And where else can you host 450+ racers who park for free, have a spectator/EMT friendly course, and safely accommodate 5 year old kids, first timers and Pros on the same track, where nobody complains afterwards that you're ruining/widening/not maintaining the trails?

    For a variety of reasons, PCRS simply works, and I think it is one of the unique and attractive amenities for the cycling community in this area. We're fortunate to have it. Just ask people in the Bay Area and elsewhere who are stuck racing each other on Strava during the week.
    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 04-04-2013 at 10:04 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    If you want to create more interest, I would suggest one or a combination of the following:

    Don't show any pictures
    Heavily photoshop the pictures so that the course looks really challenging or cool instead of a giant dusty dirt parking lot
    Show pictures from a different race course altogether

    Sorry, but I gotta be a hater on this one... How 400 people pay money to race this course is beyond me.
    You seem like a giant tool. I mean, I'm only going off of every post I've seen you make, so maybe I have you pegged wrong but I'm going with my initial gut on this one.
    :wq

  15. #15
    Type A
    Reputation: Overhillthruthewoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    You seem like a giant tool. I mean, I'm only going off of every post I've seen you make, so maybe I have you pegged wrong but I'm going with my initial gut on this one.
    The feeling is mutual.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    If you want to create more interest, I would suggest one or a combination of the following:

    Don't show any pictures
    Heavily photoshop the pictures so that the course looks really challenging or cool instead of a giant dusty dirt parking lot
    Show pictures from a different race course altogether

    Sorry, but I gotta be a hater on this one... How 400 people pay money to race this course is beyond me.
    You have a better course that's 20 minutes from my house on a Wed night? If so, I'm there. If not, STFU. Yes, the courses at Prairie City really suck, and I'd never encourage anyone to drive 2.5 hours for it. But, where else can I race head-to-head (yeah, you know, the real world not strava) against some of the fastest racers in Norcal on a midweek evening? I'll happily spend $20 on that vs. some solitary intervals while dodging hikers.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brewtality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,341

    Photos from Prairie City Race Series

    PC racing is fun.
    It's not pristine single track through dense redwoods or knarly high mountain chunkage.
    It's not everlasting flowing downhills.
    It's not climbs that reach for the heavens.

    However, PCRS is great midweek fun. You go as fast as you possibly can for 45-60 minutes.
    You race amongst bare bones beginners, TDF veterans, TOC pros, National Champions, etc...
    Swag every week at the races and at the awards BBQ.
    Raffle bikes donated by Ventana!!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4
    I'm not a bicycle-racer nor do I know the reasons each person has to race at Prairie City. I do know it is multi-dimensional...it is evident in their faces before, during, and after the racing. Empty_Beer knows what I see.

    To boil this down to a single aspect is arrogant and snobbish.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Clintox50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    Everyone be on the lookout for my upcoming race series. It's going to be in target's parking lot. I've been busy spray painting the course and lining up 20% off coupons redeemable for any of their sporting goods for all the winners. Hey man at least it's racing. Gonna be dope.
    You gonna have chip timing and beer?
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

    Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

  20. #20
    The Road Warrior
    Reputation: LandSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Because what other local race are you going to do? (not YOU, you, but the general you, because I know you aren't going to race)
    Although I do agree with your sentiment, I'll try and make it to one or two this year.
    I prefer the royal "we," myself.

  21. #21
    The Road Warrior
    Reputation: LandSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    607
    If you can't make it out to prairie city, don't want to pay, or whatever else your excuse is, but still want to suffer and get a ride in, get your road bike out and do the Davis race training ride or the river ride that meets at the CSUS bridge.

    I've done the prairie city race before, too, and I had more fun on the race rides riding a road bike.

    Then again, when I did the prairie city race, I weighed 25 pounds more than I do now (going to the gym), and was riding a blur LT. That wasn't the right way to ride that course, or any XC mtb course, for that matter.

    Now, I've got a carbon hardtail 29er, and a lot more mountain biking finesse. So, I'd probably have more fun, and the race might actually be competitive this time around.

    Still though, check out the road race rides. They're a lot of fun.
    Last edited by LandSpeed; 04-05-2013 at 08:03 PM.

  22. #22
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Sometimes it's not about the terrain as much as it's about the friends, competition, camaraderie, and workout...For a variety of reasons, PCRS simply works, and I think it is one of the unique and attractive amenities for the cycling community in this area.
    +1

    And I'll add that some of my best racing memories are getting to know my competition from racing with them every week. We ripped our hearts out trying to beat each other - then laugh about it over a beer. That is a sign of a good race to me.

    There are also passing lanes in abundance at PCRS, rather than getting in conga lines on single track - which can make single track racing very lame.

    I'll toss one more in, some of the routes reward skilled riders - so it's not all fitness racing like most XC races.

    P

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,256
    I try not to get annoyed when I see comments form people like Overhillthruthewoods - a hater of something they probably don't even participate in... I try not to rant, but this one really sets me off.

    Most people have no #$@***! idea what puting on an event entails, obviously Overhillthruthewoods you are one of them.

    Overhillthruthewoods I'm going to direct this to you and CHALLENGE you.

    The fact is that is Series has gone on for 18 years now and we get regularly get over 400 races on a Wed night. One race 3 years ago we had 570 racers. Something in that means it WORKS.

    Do you think I'm blind or stupid? Everyone knows PC is not the prettiest thing in town, but it is the ONLY place where you can fit 400-500 racers on the course at the same time (with 28 different classes), have enough parking, not pay through the nose in fees and can get a different/interesting course each week,... and is 5 minutes off the freeway. We also throw in FREE parking and instant chip timing.

    Of course I'd like to have some nice Tahoe like acreage to do this in. The fact is nothing else works for something like this in this immediate area, not even Granite Bay. Do you think we have not looked, do you not think we have ideas?

    How many successful Series' have you seen that can fit that many people on course at the same time with 28 classes and get everything "right".

    This is NOT a weekend event where we have all day to run races, we have an hour and a half for everyone to race and most racers are coming directly from work.

    Also: What many have also said above, it's not just the race, it's a community event and a social day.... as we advertise our emphasis is on FUN.

    Back to my challenge. First, come race a couple races, see what PC is about. Then if you are not satisfied go out and find me a workable alternate venue for this Series. I'll be right on board with you.

    I'm a racer too. I DO KNOW what racers want, I know what I want when I race! This venue and Series happens to fulfill most of that on a weekday night, it just might not be the prettiest.

    When you have a better plan I'm all ears, instead of lambasting the event why don't you come out and find out what it's about.

    BTW, this is not the only event I do, look at our other events and MANY other venues. If any of those venues worked for a Wed night Series don't you think we'd use them?

    Have a great day and I look forward to meeting you at one of my 40+ events a year that I promote.

    Cheers,

    Brian
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

  24. #24
    The Road Warrior
    Reputation: LandSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
    I try not to get annoyed when I see comments form people like Overhillthruthewoods - a hater of something they probably don't even participate in... I try not to rant, but this one really sets me off.

    Most people have no #$@***! idea what puting on an event entails, obviously Overhillthruthewoods you are one of them.

    Overhillthruthewoods I'm going to direct this to you and CHALLENGE you.

    The fact is that is Series has gone on for 18 years now and we get regularly get over 400 races on a Wed night. One race 3 years ago we had 570 racers. Something in that means it WORKS.

    Do you think I'm blind or stupid? Everyone knows PC is not the prettiest thing in town, but it is the ONLY place where you can fit 400-500 racers on the course at the same time (with 28 different classes), have enough parking, not pay through the nose in fees and can get a different/interesting course each week,... and is 5 minutes off the freeway. We also throw in FREE parking and instant chip timing.

    Of course I'd like to have some nice Tahoe like acreage to do this in. The fact is nothing else works for something like this in this immediate area, not even Granite Bay. Do you think we have not looked, do you not think we have ideas?

    How many successful Series' have you seen that can fit that many people on course at the same time with 28 classes and get everything "right".

    This is NOT a weekend event where we have all day to run races, we have an hour and a half for everyone to race and most racers are coming directly from work.

    Also: What many have also said above, it's not just the race, it's a community event and a social day.... as we advertise our emphasis is on FUN.

    Back to my challenge. First, come race a couple races, see what PC is about. Then if you are not satisfied go out and find me a workable alternate venue for this Series. I'll be right on board with you.

    I'm a racer too. I DO KNOW what racers want, I know what I want when I race! This venue and Series happens to fulfill most of that on a weekday night, it just might not be the prettiest.

    When you have a better plan I'm all ears, instead of lambasting the event why don't you come out and find out what it's about.

    BTW, this is not the only event I do, look at our other events and MANY other venues. If any of those venues worked for a Wed night Series don't you think we'd use them?

    Have a great day and I look forward to meeting you at one of my 40+ events a year that I promote.

    Cheers,

    Brian
    This is great stuff, Brian. But, I think that for people like this guy, you just need to tell him the real reason people race out there.

    Your race entry fees get you in on non-perishable costco food that they stuff into that concrete dome (fallout shelter) the mormons built near the prairie city entrance. You may even be able to share a cot with a mormon or two.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OnThaCouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    292

    Never Done PC but would love to...

    Truth +1 to Brian (Cactus Jack). It is always easier to armchair race direct than actually do it.
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 04-11-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Prairie City Race Series starts TOMORROW 4/3/13
    By CactusJackSlade in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM
  2. Prairie City race Series MUD photos posted - "Prairie-Roubaix"??!
    By CactusJackSlade in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM
  3. Prairie City Race Series registration is open!
    By bikenerd in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 10:39 PM
  4. Prairie City Race Series
    By mtbne1 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 05:52 PM
  5. Its official: First Prairie City race on the Prison course 3/27/11
    By CactusJackSlade in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •