Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,789

    Photochromatic riding glasses advice

    I lost my beloved Uvex SGL 202 Varios (brown lens) Friday. These glasses were awesome but hella expensive (I got them by winning a thing Magura put on). Anyhow, I can't see dropping $160 for another pair of these babies. Anyone have a line on a good pair of photochromatic glasses that don't get too dark in the sun, don't fog up easy, and are comfortable?
    Last edited by squashyo; 12-23-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: words
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

  2. #2
    More Torque
    Reputation: Diesel~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I lost my beloved Uvex SGL 202 Varios (brown lens) Friday. These glasses were awesome but hella expensive (I got them by winning a thing Magura put on). Anyhow, I can't see dropping $160 for another pair of these babies. Anyone have a line on a good pair of photochromatic glasses that don't get too dark in the sun, don't fog up easy, and are comfortable?
    Check out some of the Tifosi's at REI. I've never used their photochromatics (only regular), but the reviews seem ok, they have a number of different styles/models, they offer a good bang for the buck, and if you really don't like them after you've tried them out, you can fall back on REI's satisfaction guarantee.

    -D
    Last edited by Diesel~; 12-23-2012 at 11:01 AM.

  3. #3
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,524
    +1 for tifosi. You can find deals on UVEX stuff online, and customer service is really good. Send em an email about sending yours in, maybe?

    I also think the house brand scattante/performance glasses are made by tifosi.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    27
    How about one of the less expensive UVEX photochromatic glasses, like the active vario or the sphere vario?
    Buy UVEX SPHERE VARIO from the official MAGURA Direct Online Shop
    2013 Active Vario

    I'm getting some 202 varios for christmas and can't wait to try em out!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    66
    Hmm, my prescription lenses and frames are really good, photochromatic and all. "Michael Kors mk354" They don't fog, but don't have a lot of wrap around either.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    185
    Rudy Projects can frequently be found for a good deal. I've found 40% off pro deal coupons by looking around on the Internet in the past.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelman22 View Post
    How about one of the less expensive UVEX photochromatic glasses, like the active vario or the sphere vario?
    Buy UVEX SPHERE VARIO from the official MAGURA Direct Online Shop
    2013 Active Vario

    I'm getting some 202 varios for christmas and can't wait to try em out!
    Maybe I'll check in and see if they'll hook me up. One thing I found with the Uvex glasses is that the smoke was way too dark for forest riding (at least for me). I returned the Smokes and got the brown lens and they were nothing short of excellent...so pissed that I lost them.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

  8. #8
    padded
    Reputation: DrWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    695
    I love my Specialized glasses, lenses change quickly and you don't notice, good for everything from sun to deep shade, like at Demo. I've got a spare pair you can borrow if you want to try them out.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: squashyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,789
    OK...merry Xmas to Josh. Lost my glasses building a trail Friday. Went back Saturday and walked the trail twice with no luck...gave up. Rained like mad Sunday. Went back and rode trail twice today with no luck...on a whim decided to ride trail one more time...sunglasses were smack dab right in the middle of the trail near bottom. Wow...still hope this thread helps someone.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels View Post
    I love my Specialized glasses, lenses change quickly and you don't notice, good for everything from sun to deep shade, like at Demo. I've got a spare pair you can borrow if you want to try them out.
    I love my Specializes glasses too! Had them 3 years and they're getting pretty beat. Time to start thinking about buying a new pair. Unfortunatly Specialized no longer makes optics

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    +1 for tifosi. You can find deals on UVEX stuff online, and customer service is really good. Send em an email about sending yours in, maybe?

    I also think the house brand scattante/performance glasses are made by tifosi.
    I just my first pair and really like them. They replaced my Oakley radars which were more expensive , plus need 2 lens.
    Happy so far and half the money

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •