middle ring single track

Peter Frick-Wright's Sierra Magazine article

This is a bit OT since New Mexico is a long ways from NorCal but I found it interesting that the Sierra Club had not one but two bike stories in the latest edition of its Sierra Magazine. Peter Frick-Wright's The Last of the Southwest - July/August 2012- Sierra Magazine - Sierra Club actually features a mountain bike!

Granted; he only reports riding it on dirt roads but I see this story as a shift in SC attitude. (The SC has always been road bike-friendly) Perhaps enough of the "old guard" have died off?

Leaving MTBing and the SC out of this; the story is worth the read IMHO---well detailing the complexities of access to public lands. (RE "our" recent establishment of the Fort Ord National Monument) Sort of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation; I feel sorry for the poor ranchers who'd like to see the Otero Mesa saved from mineral extraction (read open pit mines) but might lose their grazing rights should it become protected as a National Monument. Native Americans have quite a stake here also.

For those unfamiliar with Peter Frick-Wright; he covered the trial of Mike Vandeman and published his story in last November's issue of Bike magazine.
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 06-17-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post
    This is a bit OT since New Mexico is a long ways from NorCal but I found it interesting that the Sierra Club had not one but two bike stories in the latest edition of its Sierra Magazine. Peter Frick-Wright's The Last of the Southwest - July/August 2012- Sierra Magazine - Sierra Club actually features a mountain bike!

Granted; he only reports riding it on dirt roads but I see this story as a shift in SC attitude. (The SC has always been road bike-friendly) Perhaps enough of the "old guard" have died off?

Leaving MTBing and the SC out of this; the story is worth the read IMHO---well detailing the complexities of access to public lands. (RE "our" recent establishment of the Fort Ord National Monument) Sort of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation; I feel sorry for the poor ranchers who'd like to see the Otero Mesa saved from mineral extraction (read open pit mines) but might lose their grazing rights should it become protected as a National Monument. Native Americans have quite a stake here also.

For those unfamiliar with Peter Frick-Wright; he covered the trail of Mike Vandeman and published his story in last November's issue of Bike magazine.
    You don't realize how much oil, natural gas, and coal extraction is going on out there until you actually drive through it. Pretty remarkable, and somewhat disturbing. Thanks for posting the article; Peter is a great writer.

-D