Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pvd
    mtbr member

The perfect flow trail bike ala PVD. 74-Z

This is the first dedicated build for flow that I know of. A nice reference for folks wondering what works out there.

74-Z Flowmaster | Peter Verdone Designs

Retro on Steroids
    Doesn't look like much fun for the ride to the top.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    How is it different from my specialized P3 that shreds the pumptrack?

pvd
    mtbr member
    @beaver
    Its the difference between a monster truck and a trophy truck.See the print.

mtbr member
    The over specialization for every possible niche of this sport gets annoying at times.

mtbr member
    The Tamo Flow trail is bad ass, built incredibly well very fun to ride but for me seems to be slightly out of place for what it is.......in snowboarding world it would be like a super pipe built way out in the back country, once you get there you almost need a different board to ride it but you don't have it so you deal with what you have (a split board).

I can foresee many groms pushing dirt jumper bikes out there to ride in the future for sure...

Don't get me wrong here I enjoy it tremendously and will travel an hour one way to ride it many times in the future. I hope to see future flow trails built as a combination of the surrounding terrain features (rocks - roots) with flow trail characteristics like high berms, bowls and some pump sections. For me big scrubber rollers kinda useless and flow breaking, probably for a large percentage of the riders out there as well...

Again just to clarify, Tamo Flow = bad ass, highly appreciative of efforts put into it, will ride again many times, great learning experience for all.

Good Dirt!

mtbr member
    @PVD nice bike!

@others all the general population of riders needs to do for flow trail riding is find a saddle height that works for them. Maybe add a little tire pressure. Riding a purpose-built bike can be great--like a DH bike at a resort, but it's not necessary.

I bet there are groms who only have a DJ, and if they push all the way out there bless'em. That's more riders enjoying something special.

My understanding of the course design was that a large percentage of riders were purposefully left not knowing how to ride every feature. So that there can be a lot of progression for a lot of people. Meaning absolutely zero offense to anyone, how fun would a trail that most mountain bikers could imediately rip be? The designers gave you and everyone else years of growth opportunity. And the hillside is virtually un-GPS-able. It's no one's KOM vanity trail. Only you will know how well you make all those corners, hook the faces, pump the backsides, manual the roller-doubles, gap the peaky rollers, etc. I think when this sinks in people will be even more stoked.

Can't wait for Demo flow trail. Different spot, different people, different ideas, and new things to learn.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Most riders will benefit the most by just slamming their seat as low as possible and flipping their stem to lower their bars if they are looking for a 5 minute bike setup for a few runs. The difference in just those two things is night and day. Brining a 60mm/-30 stem in your camelback would be even better. It's not much but you really get to work the trail.
    Ritchey Logic - Road - Stems - Pro 30 Degree

I'm in a different situation than most as I live down the street and I build my own bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    nice!

mtbr member
    Well thought out build. Nice looking bike.

(side note: I'm amazed at how any Flow Trail subject generates controversy. Maybe because people are passionate about the trail?)
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member

Car camping for you

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    The Tamo Flow trail is bad ass, built incredibly well very fun to ride but for me seems to be slightly out of place for what it is.......in snowboarding world it would be like a super pipe built way out in the back country, once you get there you almost need a different board to ride it but you don't have it so you deal with what you have (a split board).

CAR camping is what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Hi Hans. I think it's the web forum mindset that generates controversy. I think after a few years of exposure to the net, many read dramatic voice or infer dramatic context from what's really just neutral text. I think people just want to talk about bikes. Different ideas are good.

But I know what drives so much of the interest in norcal flow trail threads--it is freakin' awesome riding! Such a great compliment to the types of trails this area has traditionally had. So fun. So worthy of the hype, for the rider who doesn't have the means to bike-travel extensively or do 40 days/year at resorts or have the land and $$ to build a private park.

@pvd I finally actually clicked your link and read about the project and I am 3X as impressed. Sick. Also rad speeder bike schematic.

Edit: @pvd I run a Boobar cut to 760 mm on my hardtail. You are right about the controls. There is very little room to move the controls any farther in before they bump against the bend/increased OD.

I am sometimes running a rideable long post and sometimes running a dedicated short post on my bike. I have pushed in from Brown Bridge and will do so again on short-post days. Whatever makes you happy. Run what you brung. Every lap, I like to take a long breather at the top of the Tamo flow trail in the little poison oak patch. I see dozens of riders go by. For the love of speed, progression, safety, and your soft parts: Endor is a standing-only experience! 2? 3? 4? minutes. It's a workout. Drop that post!
    Last edited by Snfoilhat; 05-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post
    This is the first dedicated build for flow that I know of. A nice reference for folks wondering what works out there.
    Big props on the bike, there's something to be said for a new trail inspiring one to design and fab a frame to be purpose-built and then build the bike with all the components. The bike may not be everyone's style or desire, but it looks sick. Well done.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Doesn't look like much fun for the ride to the top.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    The over specialization for every possible niche of this sport gets annoying at times.
    Agreed.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    This sport trying to turn every single track into a pump track is annoying all the time.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by hanskellner View Post
    Well thought out build. Nice looking bike.

(side note: I'm amazed at how any Flow Trail subject generates controversy. Maybe because people are passionate about the trail?)
    Right?
    I can't believe the amount of chatter this trail has created.
    I am glad though because it seems as though it's giving our sport, and our location, a kick in the right direction.
    At least we are talking about a great trail and not some stupid fire road.
    Anyone with negative thoughts, opinions, or philosophies, have not ridden this trail.
    Everyone who comes off this trail says, and I quote,"WOW, DAMN, HOO-WEE, JEEZ DAT WAS RAD" an so on, an so forth .
    We need more of trails like these.
    OK, enough, I'm starting to sound like Berkeley Mike. Too many words and not enough turns and jumps
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad

No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies

mtbr member
    Nice Pete. Beautiful! I'd love to take a couple rips down that trail on a bike that is well suited for it. With regards to specialization comments, riding new/different bikes is fun!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    This sport trying to turn every single track into a pump track is annoying all the time.
    Every single one is a pump track?

Can you name 1 other trail within 100 miles that is anything like this?

I just don't get this opposition to fun - I guess I just have to chalk it up to a "back in my day" curmudgeon-y attitude where anything new is just not as good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post

I just don't get this opposition to fun - I guess I just have to chalk it up to a "back in my day" curmudgeon-y attitude where anything new is just not as good.
    Oh, I don't think anyone is opposed to fun, maybe some folks are tired of so many T-ranch topics, but as GGG says, those are the ones who haven't ridden it yet. It's undeniably good for the sport, good for the local towns, great for local kids (even though Marin's youth is heavily steered toward XC programs, but that's what they have to work with mostly as far as access), I don't think there's much bad about it other than people maybe parking where they shouldn't and perhaps not buying daily or annual passes. It's awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by three3nine View Post
    maybe some folks are tired of so many T-ranch topics,
    Got it - I think you have a point.

I was just intrigued by the "This sport trying to turn every single track into a pump track is annoying all the time." comment made as if there is this overabundance of pump tracks sprouting up everywhere - I thought that maybe I wasn't privy to some new goods and was missing out!

mtbr member
    I can see how someone who can't ride a trail with a lot of jumps and steep berms wouldn't have much fun on it. Imagine some old crusty person on a hardtail coming around a corner just to see a wall of dirt in front of them. They'll have to brake check and then roll every jump. That would really suck and not have much flow at all. Instead of those people complaining about how jumps are annoying they should stick to the over abundance of fireroads that litter the open spaces.

swag ho Administrator

Ha, ha... so true man. Ten thousand miles of fire roads...

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

What I get, using odd language like 'single track'. How far are you from the Arizona border?

Stay tuned, I refer to 'rocks' on occasion as well.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Well, IMO ol' Mr PVD can be one of the most entertaining AND infuriating opiners I've ever had a beer with -in the same breath. But of the multitude of podium regulars and otherwise ultra talented riders I've met in over 20 yrs in Fairfax Mr P is one of the few that can style the Flow trail as intended -and he hasn't been a teenage bmx hucker for years. He also builds a mean bike -although I probably wouldn't ride one.

If anyone saw me ride the flow trail, they'd probably revoke my pass. If I saw a video of myself riding it, I'd probably shoot myself in the face.

Nice going P!

Nice going Davey!
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfaxian View Post
    If I saw a video of myself riding it, I'd probably shoot myself in the face.
    QFT
    Nobody looks fast until they are going really, really fast. By the way, anybody know what a respectable lap time for Endor is yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast