mtbr member

Pedaling Innovations Catalyst??

I ordered a pair out of curiosity. Anybody else use these beasts? Will they help get my ass up the Dogmeat Challenge?

https://pedalinginnovations.com/
    The only easy day was yesterday.

That makes me smart
    I have a pair of them and LOVE them. My size 14 feet have never been happier.

I rode clipless forever, but that has all changed. I know there's scientific mumbo-jumbo about using them, but I don't care. They just feel good.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I have a pair of them and LOVE them. My size 14 feet have never been happier.

I rode clipless forever, but that has all changed. I know there's scientific mumbo-jumbo about using them, but I don't care. They just feel good.
    You are flatties now Finch?? How long?what do you like about these?
    IPA will save America

wretch
    Theyíre great. I ride them on my rigid mtb / bikepacking rig as well as occasionally on my full suspension. Really done wonders with my knee pains and fatigue on longer rides. Did the Grinduro with them and loved it. It is a little weird going back and forth to normal flats. Thereís way to much marketing / science in their verbiage but in short they work exactly as advertised. I believe he did some work on the axles / bearing spec as mine have less than a year and are showing signs of wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Air Pirate
    At first sight of those I was put in mind of running boards on a pickup truck...

Interesting concept and design. Any toe overlap? Pedal strike issues? How are these things with sprint climbs or climbing up steep angles? Any changes/issues/concerns with the knees with riding with this flat-foot method when you have been riding ball-over-spindle for your entire cycling life?
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    You are flatties now Finch?? How long?what do you like about these?
    Catalyst Pedals/One Up 30T Oval Chainring

mtnbkrmike

orthonormal
    I have a pair but I like my Deity TMacs better. One nice thing about the Catalysts is that since both your heel and forefoot are supported, you can wear a shoe with a more flexible sole.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I have a pair but I like my Deity TMacs better. One nice thing about the Catalysts is that since both your heel and forefoot are supported, you can wear a shoe with a more flexible sole.
    I have TMacs on my bike now. Will be an interesting comparison.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I plan to buy set of the Catalyst Pedals when my new bike comes in. I recently decided to switch to flats and put on a old heavy pair of Azonics (618g) and noticed immediately a difference in power transfer just riding around in the parking lot.

I'm a gym rat like Bike James - and the science makes sense. There's no way you can move 300-400 lbs of weight at the gym on the balls of your feet. Now if I able to apply 300-400 lbs of force on my bike pedals efficiently because I have larger platform to push from both the balls and heels of my feet - I AM going to get up the climb faster even if the pedals are 100-200g heavier than weenie pedals.

Also as andy-f mentions above I also noticed even on the Azonics (which are big, but not as big as Catalyst) - I am quite comfortable and stable on flexible shoe like my rather minimalist flat cross trainers. They have a flat sole and grip well...with BOTH shoes weighing in at 536g TOTAL. That's going to save you anywhere from 150-400g compared to a pair of 5.10 and of course even more compared most stiff soled SPD shoes. NOT that most people care - but you net weight around your foot is going to be about the same if not a a bit lighter with the Catalyst vs. other pedal options.

always licking the glass
    I have these pedals. I've been going back and forth on them for a few years now.

things to note:
    - I wear size 9-10 wide in men's shoes
    - I'm 5'4"
    - I have very flat feet (needed prescription orthodics to stop hurting).
    - I also have duck feet (flare outward)

I have used them in the Bay Area, Colorado, and Moab. Everything from trail to DH to DJ. I have had them on my Ibis HD3, GG Shred Dogg, and Scott Gambler.

Positives: they are wonderful for long climbs. They keep my arches from hurting. I have had no pedal strikes on them, except at Wilder Ranch in the gullies, but zero in Moab. On long DH rides, they are amazing. On technical riding, they're awesome because you have a lot more platform to move around the bike and a lot more control.

Negatives: jumping and drops. The pins aren't long enough, so my feet slip a lot. I had an engineering friend of mine mod my two sets to have center pins, but that only goes so much.

My other pedals are Straitline De Factos (I use these for DJ and DH primarily) and Straitline AMPs. I'm hoping when my second set of Rx orthodics come in, I can try other pedals, but I still like them.

I just wish he'd put center pins and have options for longer pins.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    I have these pedals. I've been going back and forth on them for a few years now.

things to note:
    - I wear size 9-10 wide in men's shoes
    - I'm 5'4"
    - I have very flat feet (needed prescription orthodics to stop hurting).
    - I also have duck feet (flare outward)

I have used them in the Bay Area, Colorado, and Moab. Everything from trail to DH to DJ. I have had them on my Ibis HD3, GG Shred Dogg, and Scott Gambler.

Positives: they are wonderful for long climbs. They keep my arches from hurting. I have had no pedal strikes on them, except at Wilder Ranch in the gullies, but zero in Moab. On long DH rides, they are amazing. On technical riding, they're awesome because you have a lot more platform to move around the bike and a lot more control.

Negatives: jumping and drops. The pins aren't long enough, so my feet slip a lot. I had an engineering friend of mine mod my two sets to have center pins, but that only goes so much.

My other pedals are Straitline De Factos (I use these for DJ and DH primarily) and Straitline AMPs. I'm hoping when my second set of Rx orthodics come in, I can try other pedals, but I still like them.

I just wish he'd put center pins and have options for longer pins.
    You could always drill and tap a hole for center pins.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    You could always drill and tap a hole for center pins.
    Yes I already said that an engineering friend of mine did that.

mtbr member
    Yes I already said that an engineering friend of mine did that.

always licking the glass
    You got issues, man. A little sensitive there. I was explaining what you missed. Not my problem you took it personally.

mtbr member
    God TMACs are so good....

Flats are the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    You got issues, man. A little sensitive there. I was explaining what you missed. Not my problem you took it personally.
    I was making a joke at my expense for missing your comment! It's all good!

always licking the glass
    I was making a joke at my expense for missing your comment! It's all good!
    Oh ok. My bad. Carry on then

orthonormal
    I think you'll miss the concave shape and superior grip of the TMacs. Too bad yours aren't green.

always licking the glass
    I think you'll miss the concave shape and superior grip of the TMacs. Too bad yours aren't green.
    What are the Tmacs? Iím pedal-curious.

orthonormal
    Deity Components Tyler McCaul signature pedal. Big platform, reasonably thin, and very convex. I knew I had a new favorite pedal from day one.
    Pedaling Innovations Catalyst??-spot2.jpg

mtbr member
    Most of the paint on my pedals will be gone in a couple months anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used a pair for RABGRAI this summer. Liked them a lot. But, I've used flats since I was 1967 or so, when I had a paper route. Everytime I clip in to my clipless, I fall down. I also use Well-Gos flats and 5-10s on my MTBs.

I liked the Catalyst story. I have noticed over the years that when I get fatigued, I unconsciously shift my feet forward so that the arch is more centered, like the Catalyst guy says to position my feet.

They are long. That doesn't bother me because they aren't as long as my feet, and I have small feet (8 1/2 wide). (You know what they say, "little feet, little shoes".)

Whenever I order a "new" or small producer product, I order the spares. So I got the pedals and spare axles at the same time.

mtbr member
    Catalysts next to my TMacs. Will probably tap a set of center pins along the axle.

Pedaling Innovations Catalyst??-img_6814.jpg

Pedaling Innovations Catalyst??-img_6813.jpg

mtbr member
    First ride review: definitely a comfortable pedal. Seems to give me more power on the steep climbs. Will have to check my times of over the next few rides. Had a PR on a downhill section at Montebello today and didn't seem to be pushing it at all. Feel more 'into' the pedals with these on downhills, but I did pedal strike the shit out of one of them!

Pedaling Innovations Catalyst??-img_6815.jpg

mtbr member
    That really puts the length of the catalyst into perspective given the TMACs are big platform flats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

Air Pirate
    Okay, good legit stuff about these pedals...except my question on the leg dynamics...when one has been using pedals for many many years with the spindle under the ball of the foot does one experience anything different in the knee when pedaling on these things with the foot centered on the spindle? Knee issues are not a concern for some riders but a big concern for others.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Okay, good legit stuff about these pedals...except my question on the leg dynamics...when one has been using pedals for many many years with the spindle under the ball of the foot does one experience anything different in the knee when pedaling on these things with the foot centered on the spindle? Knee issues are not a concern for some riders but a big concern for others.
    Are you riding SPD/clipless or flats right now?

Although every person is different, in general moving from clipless > flat > large flat platform will see improvement in biomechanics and knee health. Bike James goes over it in detail on his website and manifesto, but this comes from basics of biodynamics of walking and squatting, which we DO NOT only use the balls or our feet.

I'm in the middle of switching from clipless to flats are so far so good. I have had knee surgery 2 years ago and my knee is never going to 100%. Just this weekend, my knee was sore from a lot jumping and skip rope at the gym (this is an on the ball of your feet movement) - but I went for 2.5hr ride the next day on my flats with lots of climbing and guess what, my knee feels BETTER.

I mean flat pedals and the Catalyst are worth a try even if you compare it cost of 1 or 2 visits with a Chiropractor or physiotherapist.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Are you riding SPD/clipless or flats right now?

Although every person is different, in general moving from clipless > flat > large flat platform will see improvement in biomechanics and knee health. Bike James goes over it in detail on his website and manifesto, but this comes from basics of biodynamics of walking and squatting, which we DO NOT only use the balls or our feet.

I'm in the middle of switching from clipless to flats are so far so good. I have had knee surgery 2 years ago and my knee is never going to 100%. Just this weekend, my knee was sore from a lot jumping and skip rope at the gym (this is an on the ball of your feet movement) - but I went for 2.5hr ride the next day on my flats with lots of climbing and guess what, my knee feels BETTER.

I mean flat pedals and the Catalyst are worth a try even if you compare it cost of 1 or 2 visits with a Chiropractor or physiotherapist.
    Great answer smoothmoose, thanks!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I heard these are manufactured by VP Components for this design. Axle can get loose with grimy conditions. Rebuildable and my bud has done it already.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    First ride review: definitely a comfortable pedal. Seems to give me more power on the steep climbs. Will have to check my times of over the next few rides. Had a PR on a downhill section at Montebello today and didn't seem to be pushing it at all. Feel more 'into' the pedals with these on downhills, but I did pedal strike the shit out of one of them!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6815.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	1163495
    Hey - did you drill 2 extra holes and added pins there? Their website states and shows 12 pins, but I count 14 on your pedal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Hey - did you drill 2 extra holes and added pins there? Their website states and shows 12 pins, but I count 14 on your pedal.
    Nope, these are stock. I was thinking to do this but the traction for me has been fine so far.

Cheesiest
    After 2 knee surgeries in 2 years, I have been using them. The biomechanics make tons of sense. Great for the climbs, but the jury is still out on the downs. I get a fair amount of strike in rock gardens.

That makes me smart
    Another benefit is that you can hop on your bike anytime. The pedals give enough support that you could probably run the dog in flip- flops, if you were so inclined (cue Marx joke re: shooting an elephant in your pajamas).

Great pedals to have if you've forgotten your riding shoes (never done that! Nope!).

mtnbkrmike

wretch
    Another benefit is that you can hop on your bike anytime. The pedals give enough support that you could probably run the dog in flip- flops, if you were so inclined (cue Marx joke re: shooting an elephant in your pajamas).

Great pedals to have if you've forgotten your riding shoes (never done that! Nope!).
    I've done some longer all day rides with Chacos and even flops on these pedals - a big plus in my mind!

always licking the glass
    Ok. Now that Iíve put in the longer pins, these are the only pedals I ride. I like not having foot pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm
    mtbr member
    I need a 2nd pair of pedals. I love my 1ups but i like the idea of the longer platform and being able to just centering my foot on the pedal surface axle/arch.

jrm
    mtbr member
    lower your saddle a bit so that on the down stroke your toes arent pointing inward and down like with clipless.

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I need a 2nd pair of pedals. I love my 1ups but i like the idea of the longer platform and being able to just centering my foot on the pedal surface axle/arch.
    You'll like them. Buy them, if you don't like them, I'll buy them from you.

At a discount of course.

mtnbkrmike

always licking the glass
    You'll like them. Buy them, if you don't like them, I'll buy them from you.

At a discount of course.
    They also have a 30 day return policy.

mtbr member
    I'm still loving mine. I definitely strike them more than other pedals, but that's just getting used to the clearance, my Santa Cruz HTLT has a very low BB to begin with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    After 2 knee surgeries in 2 years, I have been using them. The biomechanics make tons of sense. Great for the climbs, but the jury is still out on the downs. I get a fair amount of strike in rock gardens.
    They are terrible for descending. I've had knee surgery too and don't see any benefit to these pedals besides adding weight to the bike. A standard flat pedal with a large platform works far better in all aspects.