Yet
    Ack!

Parking to be banned on Skyline Blvd - vote by mail by 4/14

'MROSD would like to restrict parking along Skyline Blvd and La Honda rd (84) to reduce use of unauthorized use of open space preserves. After hours use of preserves tends to be associated with illegal marijuana cultivation, campfires, underage alcohol use and other undesirable activities'.

Please find attached a PDF of a map and a letter where you can vote whether to prohibit parking during the day at Skeggs point, and at night in a number of other frequent mountain biking staging areas. It is hard not to construe this as a backdoor ploy by MROSD to limit mountain biking in their preserves.
    http://www.romp.org/docs/Parking.pdf

Please print out the PDF, fill out the paper form and mail it in or fill out the survey monkey in the links posts below
    Last edited by Yet; 03-09-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Virtue is its own punishment

default title
    Mar 2008
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Note that they are asking for comments, and this not going to be decided by public vote. It also says that you can also give comments on line at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2356PNN. The changes at Skeggs Point would come after completion of a new parking lot. It looks like they are seeking to prevent parking at all other Skyline access points to Skeggs.

mtbr member
    There is also an online survey at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2356NN

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For those that didn't figure it out, this is talking about Skeggs (aka El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve).

The best argument against this is that the MROSD could see policy changes in the future, such as leaving parks open until 10pm. It may seem unlikely now, but they do have an elected board. With increasing population and use of open space preserves, and the increased safety of modern lights (not just for bikers but for hikers), there is good reason to expect that there will be mounting pressure to leave parks open later (particularly in the winter months).

At a minimum the roadside closure time should be 1 hour after sunset - there's tons of times where you just barely squeak out of the preserve with the light getting dim, and it takes a bit to get changed and your bike in (or on) your car.

The no parking anytime spots may be lame (hard to tell from their map) - if these are some of the large and safe spots, what happens when the new huge parking lot fills up? There is no nearby parking at ECdM once the parking lots and roadside stuff fills up. Not much chance of that happening with current traffic levels, but that could easily change since a big parking lot and restrooms will bring a lot of new people to Skeggs/ECdM.

Yet
    Ack!
    here is a link to the document I got in the mail including a colored map. It looks pretty clear to me that they would make it no parking any time along the road at the skeggs point vista parking, and in front of the ranger house just south of Gordon Mill.

http://www.romp.org/docs/Parking.pdf
    Virtue is its own punishment

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think you are right, Yet - looks like the two main parking areas of CM02 and CM03 are not what they are talking about - so the no parking anytime areas should be fine (once the new mega-lot is open).

I'll keep my comment to make it 45min or 1 hour after sunset, and to make sure that it can easily be changed if the MROSD extends hours in the future...

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    That map is impressively vague. Suspiciously absent are any counts of how many vehicle spots would be affected.
    That is also the first I have heard of "a new parking lot at ECdM", anyone have any more info on that?

Team Chilidog!
    Thanks for posting this. I'll be sending mine out today.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't have a problem with "No Parking 1/2 Hour After Sunset". That is consistent with posted access hours. However, I note the map says, "No Parking After Sunset". That is inconsistent with current policy, and the text of the pdf. This inconsistency needs to be cleared up.

On the other hand, there needs to be more justification and information on the "No Parking Anytime" zones. Does the district believe the new parking lot will never be full? Are there safety issues around parking in the proposed closure areas? Is there overflow parking available, or is this a clumsy way to impose a use quota on the preserve?

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    On the other hand, there needs to be more justification and information on the "No Parking Anytime" zones. Does the district believe the new parking lot will never be full? Are there safety issues around parking in the proposed closure areas? Is there overflow parking available, or is this a clumsy way to impose a use quota on the preserve?
    According to the pdf, there is not going to be a change in the current policy until after the new parking lot is opened. If that's not enough additional parking, then I don't think I'd want to go anyway - too many people!
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Neela
    There is also an online survey at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2356NN
    I did the online survey, but noticed something of interest - the surveymonkey survey is put up by MROSD. The printed document is by San Mateo County and has a San Mateo County return address. Given these are public roads, not MROSD lands, the decision will be made by San Mateo County. Not clear to me if the survey results from the MROSD survey will be given to San Mateo County. So perhaps the surveymonkey link should not be used.

The contact that the form is mailed to is Robin Dusaint. A quick Google found the following email address:
    rdusaint@co.sanmateo.ca.us
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    The PDF form explicitly mentions the online survey:

Alternatively, you may complete the ballot online at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2356PNN

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sounds to me like MROSD is lobbying the county, Caltrans, and local residents to get behind this change. the roads in question are state highways.

Is there any legitimate reason any spots along here should be open to parking after dark, such as a viewpoint, or spillover from nearby business?

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel
    what happens when the new huge parking lot fills up?
    There would still be parking at Skeggs point (the current caltrans lot), cm-02, cm-08, plus the new parking lot once it's built, right? The small turnouts in question will be unavailable after the new parking lot is added. To me, it seems net neutral (even positive) impact to the amount of parking spaces for accessing ECDM after this takes place.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson