mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Parkfield Classic race report

The Cal Poly Wheelmen weren't very fortunate with the weather, as it rained very hard Friday night before the race. The dirt road to the camp ground turned into a giant mud pit and even four wheel drive cars were slipping and sliding all over the place. Fortunately, I arrived early enough to get the last room at the Parkfield Inn.

Because of technical problems with the ATV (used to transport the EMT personel) the Cal Poly Wheelmen decided to switch the short track to Saturday 8am and the cross-country to Sunday 8am, which also allowed for the trails to dry up.

The men's A short track race was intense: 25 minutes + 2 laps of going all out. Menso had taken the lead at the start, but had to drop back, as the leaders increased the pace after 3 or 4 laps. Fred Stamm (CPSLO) stayed right behind Cody Deane (UNR). but he took the lead in the final lap, which he managed to hold through the finish. Nice victory, Fred!

Dual slalom was an intense race: after just 3 turns on separate tracks the two riders had to merge onto the same track. Several crashes ensued, but fortunately nobody was injured and bike damage limited to one broken fork. It was quite a spectacle to watch.

The cross-country race was the next day: Menso again took the early lead, but the whole pack was following closely as they ran their bikes up the start of the Taylor trail after completing 3/4 lap on the short track couse. I started 6 minutes later with the sport men, most of whom were younger and a lot faster than me.
    After the hike-a-bike section there were rolling hills, some neat single track and a lot of fire road climbs and descends. When I reached the finish, the expert/men A riders had not finished yet (they had to do an extra 6 miles on the "expert loop", which the sport and beginner riders skipped). Just as I was wondering what took them so long, Menso came riding in, sitting up and celebrating his first collegiate race victory. Todd Norwood (Stanford), Fred Stamm (CPSLO), Nitish Nag (UCB) and Jess Palmer (CPSLO) finished with a few minutes in 2nd - 5th place resp. (Cody Deane, the winner of the Stanford race at Santa Teresa, didn't feel well and decided not to start)

The Pro/Semi pro downhill race at 1pm on Sunday was won by Curtis Beaver with the fastest time of all: 1:43:38. Congratulations, Curtis!
    Menso participated in the DH as well, but doing all 4 events in one weekend proved a bit much.

Full results can be found at

http://www.cpslowheelmen.org/parkfield/index.html

The organization was perfect and the weekend weather was very nice as well.
    I'll try to make this event again next year, J.L.
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 10-16-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

190lbs of climber
    Stop writing my race reports!

I just wanted to die during the short track. I was really hating my life, and pretty much threw in the towel with 6 minutes to go. Heh, second to last in short track and first in XC...
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    May 2006

Congrads!

Menso, though we never met, but I heard alot about you.

Big congraduations.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Vote no/yes for race reports

Menso,

You have a lot of local fans on mtbr, who might like to read how you're doing in the collegiate races. Let them make the decision:

vote no: no more race reports (stop the bragging)
    vote yes: we like to read how Menso does in his races.

- J.L.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Menso,

You have a lot of local fans on mtbr, who might like to read how you're doing in the collegiate races. Let them make the decision:

- J.L.
    fair enough, and better than me tooting my own horn (god forbid)
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Congrats Menso! Congrats Beavers!

But what we really need to know is how JL did.

Where the heck is Parkfield?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I for one was very impressed with Menso's performance. I was on his wheel for about the first 5 miles but when the going got steep, I think he looked back and saw the chase pack, then put down the hammer. I wimpered, got off and started pushing.

Great job, and congratulations on your ride yesterday

John

MTBr ReMember
    Congrats to Menso and the others!
    See you up here at Boggs next month...

Parkfield is EarthQuakeCentral down in the flats somewhere...
    http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/Parkfield.html

Tim( prefers little 'ol GeyserQuakes )

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    FC,

Parkfield truly is in the middle of nowhere, about 20 miles east of San Miguel, which is somewhere in between Salinas and San Luis Obispo along 101. It sure isn't flat there, but looks a bit like parts of Henry Coe: big hills, dry grass and oak trees.

I came in second in the Beginner Short Track race and 6th out of 8 in the XC Sport men 35+.
    I wisely decided not to do the dual slalom or DH. Not much to brag about....

John: I know exactly the spot: the crueling second hike-a-bike section at the top of the "sport loop".

- J.L.
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 10-16-2007 at 09:10 AM.

MTBr ReMember
    Sorry,
    I wasn't refering to the course...
    I live near Boggs at 2900ft elev.
    Tim

Slowest Rider

I vote YES!

Menso,

- J.L.
    I'm quite impressed by Menso's skill. He has the all the makings of a real star. I enjoy watching how our local guy progresses. Keep rolling with the updates Dad!

Oh, and JL was racing himself, and reporting that too.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    I for one was very impressed with Menso's performance. I was on his wheel for about the first 5 miles but when the going got steep, I think he looked back and saw the chase pack, then put down the hammer. I wimpered, got off and started pushing.

Great job, and congratulations on your ride yesterday

John
    You're the single speed guy? I hate you for taking it out so fast. Why man? Why? . But seriously, I only appeared to "put down the hammer" because it got steep enough that you couldn't keep it up on the SS. I didn't really accelerate, and everyone was majorly impressed with YOUR performance. You were the only one who kept up with me at first, and it was actually I who was trying to keep up with you.
    congrats to you too
    -Menso

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    [QUOTE=Menso]You're the single speed guy? I hate you for taking it out so fast. Why man? Why? .

Yeah, that was silly. Believe me I spent that whole race wishing I had made a different gear selection. That was a fun race though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Congratulations

Nice job Menso and Curtis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Menso,

- J.L.
    -- JL & Menso,
    As a father of a promising young cyclist...there is one thing I like even better than being at and watching a race...the race report! I really like the first person perspective that you cant get from watching a race,,,whats going on in the racers head during the race, so to speak. ALSO, i really like the idea of Dad (JL, myself, etc.) being able to be proud of our sons and produce a race report from Dad's perspective... I say, both should submit reports. thumbsup:

Anyway, congrats to both of you...you both had a great race weekend. Are you going to the LaGrange classic this weekend?

Cheers, Pat
    "Nate Byroms Dad"

mtbr member
    Menso,

- J.L.
    Yes on race reports

What's just as impressive to me is the fact that he - as well as a few others on this forum - were admitted to Cal Poly SLO. I was 10th in my graduating class at my high school, and I was the only one in the top 10 who was admitted. Cal Poly SLO seemed to be everyone's top choice as well.

Since I wasn't mountain biking back then, I never had a chance to check out any of the trails. I think it's time for a road trip...

mtbr member
    Not sure if Menso was saying to let him write his own reports, but I agree with Pat, both of them do reports!

Congrats to Menso, Curtis, JL, and John!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    OK, everbody voted "yes" for the race reports. BTW, I only write them when I race myself as well and just mention Menso's results "on the side". He usually does a bit better than me (at least in the XC races), but don't think it's all about him.

Pat, we're not going to the LaGrange classic. Menso is doing the intercollegiate race in Chico and I'm playing a Xilinx golf tournament on Saturday. I hope Nate will win the NorCal high school series this year. With Nick, Menso and Nitish graduated, he stands a good change, I would think.

Members who have read this thread: 0