mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Paradise royale and pacific rim

Curious if anyone knows the average time it takes to do both trails.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    You could check the Strava history and find the median ride. But allow yourself plenty of time to hang out with the newts at the, uh, newt pond.

Also, welcome aboard, Ms. Bananer (if that is your real name)!
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks Dirtvert! You can call me Anner. I checked out strava but its kinda hard to gauge full trail time with how they break it down in segments. But, Im kinda a meathead so.... have you ridden these trails? Are the newts really that impressive? How long do you suppose I would want to hang out with these newts?

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Hey Anner! I've only ridden it once--about 7 years ago--and there was only one trail then, so I'm sure somebody else will offer some real help. But the newts were pretty darn cool. They're not really afraid of anything, so if you stick your fingers in the water they'll come up and give you some newt nibbles. How long that lasts is entirely up to you.
    Also, give yourself some time to play around on the skills trails next to the campground. And the little town of Shelter Cove is worth checking out while you're in the neighborhood. If you stop in Garberville for anything more than gas--watch your stuff, it's kinda sketchy. Have fun!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-12-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    PR is about 2 hours...The way we've always ridden it goes like: Do PR the normal direction, take off on the rim trail when you get to the newt pond. Ride rim trail out to the road, take the road back toward campground, jump back on singletrack for the last couple miles. Around 5 hours this way, at a cruisey pace with a few breaks. Could be done much faster. Out and back on the rim takes some time, it is one of my fave trails there, but it is a punchy sonofagun. But the views...

Inspector Gadget
    Fitness level is a HUGE variable here... Main loop takes me about two hours... when I've been riding regularly. (Right now it'd take me 4 hours ) I can do it faster but I pace myself so I can ride it a 2nd time or play in the terrain park. The pacific rim is an out and back, takes me about two hours for that. Riding the main loop clockwise and adding in the Pacific Rim is going to be a huge vert day... I'd plan for 6 hours on the trail giving yourself some breaks.
    It's the perfect time of year, Somewhere far away from here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks yall! Sounds like a good plan to ride the loop and see if I still have enough gas in the tank, and enough day light to add in pacific rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by annerbananer View Post
    Thanks yall! Sounds like a good plan to ride the loop and see if I still have enough gas in the tank, and enough day light to add in pacific rim.
    Riding the PR trail clockwise is the only way to really enjoy the loop which is 11.44 miles long w/2,232' of elevation gain. The initial steady climbing is actually very enjoyable. On the descent be careful entering the berms on the Mad Queen's Careen as there are a lot of ball bearing like rocks throughout. Unfortunately, a part of the dirt that makes up the area.

The newest section has a ton of switch backs when taken off from the PR trail's east section and down to the road. Lots of climbing with a great view, but.... That's about it. We were not impressed with all the climbing which is normally a way of life here on the coast.

I've added a map I did a few years ago for the newest addition AKA: Frenchmen's Loop:

Paradise royale and pacific rim-map.jpg
    Last edited by RooHarris; 07-13-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: exact mileage and elevation added

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Also driving out there seemed like forever. Southern humboldt is cool, but can get very sketchy and creepy fast. Super fun trail, a buddy and I did it on a trip to humboldt years ago but we agreed we would rather ride arcata and blue lake etc. the newt pond is super cool though, and the views were rad. The skills area was pretty dissapointing, but could be better now. This was about 3 years ago.

Ariolimax columbianus
    second goin into shelter cove. kinda a mission to get to king's range from most directions, might get lost. might get pretty warm up there this time of year due to the geology.

rode trail, camped at trailhead when it was 1st built (before skills/pumptrack). pretty fun, but seems kinda short for da time it takes to get there, do it 2x? sure one day it'll be even more epic doe.

da cove gives you a nice perspective of da landscape. think they just put in a new brewery, grab some fish & chips at campground store (yum), and it's just a beautiful part of da coast. try and get into da h2o if u can, it's a trip to see da cove on a clear day from a boat/kayak/sup. been kayak fishin out there next to grey whales ~13'-15' away.

been wantin to go back for awhile, just hasn't worked out w/timing. if you have a chance, maybe drive to mendo & politely ask mr. Roo Harris if he has time for a ride (or if he knows where one is going to be). enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reddingnative View Post
    Also driving out there seemed like forever. Southern humboldt is cool, but can get very sketchy and creepy fast. Super fun trail, a buddy and I did it on a trip to humboldt years ago but we agreed we would rather ride arcata and blue lake etc. the newt pond is super cool though, and the views were rad. The skills area was pretty dissapointing, but could be better now. This was about 3 years ago.
    To add to this discussion: not many amenities are available in the Shelter Cove area. Come to the Mendo Coast for 10X riding distance for our trails .

To go to PR for me is a 6 hour round trip drive from Little River. If it was in my backyard I'd go maybe more than once a year, that being said, PR is an amazing machine built flow trail. The newest section was a disappointment. Also, as mentioned above it can get unbearably hot this time of year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Our next stop is Mendocino! We should be out there the 17-20th. Im curious though Roo, your book has the loop going counterclockwise. Is that still your recommendation?

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post

I've added a map I did a few years ago for the newest addition AKA: Frenchmen's Loop:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	1207932
    So you did the PR loop clockwise, how'd you add in the Frenchman's Loop? CCW? I could see doing it as a figure 8 so you don't have to climb that ridiculous loose uphill section where it ties into the PR loop.
    It's the perfect time of year, Somewhere far away from here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    So you did the PR loop clockwise, how'd you add in the Frenchman's Loop? CCW? I could see doing it as a figure 8 so you don't have to climb that ridiculous loose uphill section where it ties into the PR loop.
    I agree with you about that climb. Originally, we had intended to ride the Frenchmen's Loop first counter clockwise to PR Loop, but could not find the trailhead off of the Shelter Cove Rd. Instead, we headed up to Tolkan Campground and parked there did the PR loop clockwise as it is in the guidebook, then hooked up to the new additional section riding it clockwise too. By the time we had traveled up (up, and then up!) for four miles we were losing the day and turned around and headed back to Tolkan CG. Although the views are spectacular, I personally would not ride that new section again.

mtbr member
    Clockwise from PR Loop. but never finished it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by annerbananer View Post
    Our next stop is Mendocino! We should be out there the 17-20th. Im curious though Roo, your book has the loop going counterclockwise. Is that still your recommendation?
    The book has it going clockwise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wouldn't do the full Pacific rim trail. Just ride until you get to where you start traversing and then enjoy the dh on your way back down. It's a pretty steep and loose climb up the Pacific rim from paradise loop. The view is cool, but the trail is nothing special. I have more fun doing the loop, then playing at the bike park, and doing runs on the west side of the loop.

mtbr member
    We were too pooped to do the whole Pacific Rim trail on day 2 of our Paradise Royale weekend. We did the Royale clockwise (how else?!?!) and shredded the campside flow on Day 1, then 70% Royale and up Pacific Rim and back out to where we left Royale then completed that lollipop loop on Day 2. Whoa. Can't wait to go back. Would love to ride the Pacific Rim consecutively, as there were super scary parts I walked that were actually rideable. How far is the closest hospital!?!?! I didn't want to risk falling off that trail!