mtbr member

Pala Seca Cabin destroyed by fire

For those of us who ride the Grant Ranch (Joseph D. Grant County Park), I'm saddened to report the total destruction by fire of the historic Pala Seca Cabin.
    Pala Seca Cabin destroyed by fire-pala-seca-phots.jpg
    According to a park ranger I spoke with, the fire occurred Wednesday Feb 12th and the cause is unknown at this time. As I looked at the site I could only surmise it was not caused by a grass fire as none of the surrounding area was burned.
    Of course arson comes to mind, but due to the very, very remote location, I had assumed (hoped?) that your typical a**hole wouldn't have the interest or even make the effort to hike all the way back there. Who knows?
    I'm not here to accuse, only to mourn the loss of a very small, ordinary but historic cabin...a little slice of our local area history.
    Built in the 1890's, rebuilt in 1928, the cabin was used as a hunting / fishing base camp for the wealthy Joseph Grant and his guests (Herbert Hoover and Leland Stanford among them). For more on the cabin, check out the park's website.
    If you've ever had the opportunity to ride at Grant Ranch (the largest of Santa Clara County's regional parks), you'll recall the grind up-and-down 2 'canyons' to reach the cabin. It was great place to pause, enjoy the view and take a break before venturing on for the rest of your ride. Did I say remote? Typically your only companions are pigs, coyotes, an occasional bobcat and of course the constant circling vultures waiting for you to drop!
    Last edited by glenj; 02-24-2014 at 03:57 PM.

middle ring single track

Bummer...

I don't get to Grant Ranch very often but I visited the cabin during a ride on the 2012 summer solstice; I had no idea of its rich history so I snapped a shot of the interpretive panel on the porch so I could research it later:

Seems like they were part way through restoring it, double loss as all that work is now lost; I did note that the County had made no effort at a "defensible space" around it:
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ouch! I've been there several times. most recently in december without my MTB.
    Blog post and pics: Pala Seca Cabin @ Joseph Grant County Park | AlphaRoaming
    Last edited by karld; 02-18-2014 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Sad indeed. It wasn't much to look at and was probably not a national treasure, but it was an interesting bit of historic relic in a location you might least expect it.

Not that it matters at this point, but I hope this wasn't as a result of some sicko torching the place just to watch it burn...
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

I like mtn biking, too
    Or it could have been a homeless encampment/illegal campfire situation. We get those all the time in Santa Cruz. Sad! Thanks for sharing the photo of what it was.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian