Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: E.R.rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39

    Pacquiao vs Marquez 4

    Any Boxing fan here? What are your thoughts or predictions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacquiao vs Marquez 4-pacquiao_marquez_4_poster.jpg  


  2. #2
    ventanakaz
    Reputation: 1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    294
    i like boxing but i love MMA more with that said i think pacquiao will win. i like training as much as mountain biking i have apparatuses in my garage, a mook jong, heavy bag dummy, double end bag and speed bag. i haven't been ridin that much this year but now that some kids asked me to fix a landing, that will get me back on the bike and wil be building tomorrow. monday...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

  3. #3
    Puro Vida!
    Reputation: Nelson34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    I think their both being paid to perform. I don't know if I really want to shell out 60 bucks to watch these two 'fight' again. Paquiao used to be a good fighter, but I think he got on the gravy train and does what he's told now-just like De La Hoya. Actually isn't De La Hoya the shot caller now? The new Don King? Boxing really needs to get some real fights-everyone is moving to MMA style fights since they're not tainted yet and hopefully never will be. I don't really watch or follow any of those fights.
    If friends want to come watch I may rent it but I feel insulted they're asking for my money again. Oh as for whose gonna win? Whose turn is it to win so during the end ring interview they can demand a rematch?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    53
    It's gonna be a close fight anytime these two get in the ring together. Marquez looks like he's on the juice this time around.
    My prediction is Pac will win another close fight and Marquez fans will cry foul again

  5. #5
    Cheesiest
    Reputation: intheways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I think their both being paid to perform. I don't know if I really want to shell out 60 bucks to watch these two 'fight' again.?
    +1

    I'd rather watch MMA matches.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: E.R.rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by 1962 View Post
    i like boxing but i love MMA more with that said i think pacquiao will win. i like training as much as mountain biking i have apparatuses in my garage, a mook jong, heavy bag dummy, double end bag and speed bag. i haven't been ridin that much this year but now that some kids asked me to fix a landing, that will get me back on the bike and wil be building tomorrow. monday...ralph
    Same here. There's more action and blood in MMA than boxing that makes it more exciting to watch, but I still like Boxing . Pacquiao performance has declined in his last 2 fights and barely won it. His multi task life ( Congressman, actor , boxer, etc) has taken its toll to his boxing career. There are rumors that this will be his last fight and the MEGA fight with Money Mayweather is not gonna happen. I still like Pacman and I give him the edge on this 4th meeting, but I predict that they'll leave the results to the judges again. There'll be NO K.O. to end the fight.
    On this same day, my favorite MMA fighter B.J. Penn will also be fighting as well as a local boy Nate Diaz will be on the card of UFC on Fox so Im contemplating between the two event.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    400
    UFC on FOX 5(?) is the same night. Benson Henderson and Nate Diaz are two of my favorite fighters and they are the main event. If you're into MMA the card is stacked. I like boxing but I follow MMA pretty closely so I'll take the free UFC event and watch the boxing match later if it sounds good.

  8. #8
    Snowjnky McDreamy
    Reputation: snowjnky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,337
    The problem with boxing is that most people only know the big names or whatever fighters HBO is following.
    There are others that are really FUN to watch; local beast Andre Ward, Amir Khan, Carlos Molina, James Kirkland.

    [FONT="sarcasm][/FONT]
    Never got in to MMA, but that is probably because I don't white a wear a Yankee hat, wife beaters and jorts, roll around in a minivan with a Tapout sticker on the back, crush 3 monster energy drinks a day all while yelling at my girlfriend in CVS while picking up cold sore cream.
    [FONT="sarcasm][/FONT]
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

  9. #9
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,192
    I was raised on the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports sponsored by Gillette Super Blue Blades with my dad. I think I understand boxing pretty well; at least enough to know how much I don't know.

    I watched MMA heavily for about 6 months and then had to walk away. There aren't enough athletes developed enough for good competition. It is in it's early years and will take 15-20 more years to settle down to its essence. Once it does that it won't be as lopsided as it is now.

    MMA is awesome, but more exciting? Maybe for the short attention span group. More exciting? You mean like watching a brazilian jui-jitsu octopus suck a clam dry? When it is exciting it is like watching a 3 inning baseball game with nothing but big hitters and a guy throwing heat. And I can't stand the announcers; they all sound like they are yelling above a bar fight trying to sell Tonka Trucks to little boys.

    The Paquiao/Marquez fight is a toss-up. I'll watch it when it is free.
    I don't rattle.

  10. #10
    Puro Vida!
    Reputation: Nelson34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Yeah Paquiao doing the political thing and even a singing career-why's everyone want to sing? Did'nt know what to say when I saw De La Hoya come out in the ring with highlighted hair and shorter than normal boxing shorts-but who am I to hate? I'm not living in a mansion wondering do i take the Ferrari or Lamborghini out for a drive or just go soak in my indoor pool and then go play Halo?

  11. #11
    jct
    jct is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    632
    the pac vs bradley fight was a travesty. total fix.

    i've watched all 3 pac vs jmm fights many times and i'd like to think there was no foul play involved with those matches. all very close and could have gone to either fighter.

    that said, i hope pacman wins but wouldn't be surprised if JMM wins.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: E.R.rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    I was raised on the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports sponsored by Gillette Super Blue Blades with my dad. I think I understand boxing pretty well; at least enough to know how much I don't know.

    I watched MMA heavily for about 6 months and then had to walk away. There aren't enough athletes developed enough for good competition. It is in it's early years and will take 15-20 more years to settle down to its essence. Once it does that it won't be as lopsided as it is now.

    MMA is awesome, but more exciting? Maybe for the short attention span group. More exciting? You mean like watching a brazilian jui-jitsu octopus suck a clam dry? When it is exciting it is like watching a 3 inning baseball game with nothing but big hitters and a guy throwing heat. And I can't stand the announcers; they all sound like they are yelling above a bar fight trying to sell Tonka Trucks to little boys.

    The Paquiao/Marquez fight is a toss-up. I'll watch it when it is free.
    I think we all have our own definition and opinion of excitement. In Boxing, you just expect the two guy throw a punch with each other ( jab, hook, straight, and uppercut) and not expect any other move to get the W. But in MMA, you get to see the different styles in fighting ( BJJ, muay thai, wrestling, boxing, etc) which makes it more exciting to watch in my opinion.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Couch Bike Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    UFC on FOX 5(?) is the same night. Benson Henderson and Nate Diaz are two of my favorite fighters and they are the main event. If you're into MMA the card is stacked. I like boxing but I follow MMA pretty closely so I'll take the free UFC event and watch the boxing match later if it sounds good.
    Little Hendo-San v The Stockton bad boy's little brother. Oh boy, wouldn't miss it!

  14. #14
    Puro Vida!
    Reputation: Nelson34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,289
    Growing up, my Dad worked hard everyday and came home had a beer, read his paper then watched the news. I wasn't supposed to bother him when he first got home cause he was tired. He was old school. Loved to use nails and lots of them instead of screws. 2x4s were good but 4x4s were better. This is when you'd go to the lumber store and buy a 2x4 and it really was 2x4 not 1 1 1/2 x 3 1/2. Really only liked to take care of his lawns/gardens and watch fights. He would always tell me to watch how graceful or the leg work on so and so. When MMA came around he wouldn't have any if it-said that's not skill or graceful-that's two guys kicking each other and just brutal.
    I'm not by any means saying he was right, but just his opinion and everyone has the right to their opinion. So I guess I have the same view on boxing, but I haven't really seen a 'major' or 'big event' fight thats been good in a long time. Almost seems since Golden Boy Productions took over.
    I have watched MMA type fights and do like to watch them from time to time, just don't really follow them. Guess I hear my dad talking to me saying those aren't fights.
    The under card fights are usually the best-hungry fighters trying to make a name for themselves. If boxing doesn't do something to change the attitude of people by just putting on some good fights, there may be no more big fights to watch. Just read the comments on this thread-no ones really interested in this fight. Only reason I may get it is to spend some time with my dad-

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    99
    Robert Guerrero v. Andre Berto was pretty good (11/24).
    Robert is also a local boy from Gilroy.

  16. #16
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,192
    That was a good fight. Guerrero really stepped up and he is only going to get better.
    I don't rattle.

  17. #17
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,192
    Quote Originally Posted by E.R.rider View Post
    I think we all have our own definition and opinion of excitement. In Boxing, you just expect the two guy throw a punch with each other ( jab, hook, straight, and uppercut) and not expect any other move to get the W. But in MMA, you get to see the different styles in fighting ( BJJ, muay thai, wrestling, boxing, etc) which makes it more exciting to watch in my opinion.
    Babe Ruth is an icon of baseball so this may be heresy but I don't think he would do well against modern competition. He played at a time when the game and it's player weren't as deeply or broadly developed. All you have to do is look at the windup a pitcher used in the 20s to see that. Along with that modern athletes are far superior; bigger, faster, better trained, more dedicated, and the systems which support the sport are very well developed.

    MMA is a bit further along as modern america, and other parts of the world, produce some pretty amazing athletes because of what we know about training athletes, diet, mental preparation, and such. But the competition is uneven and sporadic. It further suffers from a big-fish-in-the-small-pond syndrome in it's regionality. Maybe that adds to the excitement.
    I don't rattle.

  18. #18
    Snowjnky McDreamy
    Reputation: snowjnky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by E.R.rider View Post
    I think we all have our own definition and opinion of excitement. In Boxing, you just expect the two guy throw a punch with each other ( jab, hook, straight, and uppercut) and not expect any other move to get the W. .
    please see The Klitschko Brothers and Money Mayweather they seem to have a tiny tiny tiny bit of strategy to their fights and it easy to find video of them.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: E.R.rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    39
    Familiar with the K. Brothers and Mayweather's strategy...they're all good defenders and counter punchers.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ncruz408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    229
    My prediction: Pacman will lose a close fight to draw Gayweather in which hopefully will happen so that Pacman can retire and Gayweather fans can finally shut it. lol

  21. #21
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,449
    I predict one of the two will win and a lot of people will be watching it that could be doing fun stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NuckingFuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    178
    I've never missed an MP fight, and though this is the fourth time around the block I'm still in. These guys bang away so there will be no shortage of fun. Ready to hang out with some salsa n' beers.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    99
    Gayweather LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruz408 View Post
    My prediction: Pacman will lose a close fight to draw Gayweather in which hopefully will happen so that Pacman can retire and Gayweather fans can finally shut it. lol

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ancient rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,459
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    Gayweather LOL
    Now that would be the one to watch. Both fighters could make up to 100 million on the fight. Hopefully it happens next year. Too bad it didn't happen years ago when they were both in their prime.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    53
    Good article on Yahoo about Marquez added muscle. Something very fishy about adding so much muscle and working with and ex BALCO goon
    Juan Manuel Marquez's newfound muscle raises questions about PED use - Yahoo! Sports

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •