Thread: Pacifica Gnar!

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... Pacifica Gnar!

Mile, Boyscout, Crack, etc is LEGIT and places high on the gnar scale!

Kinda wish i brought my DH bike or at least some good All mountain cushy bike.

We started off with a mild and gradual climb.

Sunshine will make no appearance for todays ride.

We climbed up all the way to the towers where Mile starts. This sucker was steep and i found myself HAB a couple of sections. Damn 32X17

My wife did awesome and only walked this section and another.

My wife disappering into the heavy mist.

We rode the trails back that went through the big jumps and fast switchbacks.

Next time i ride this, i will be donning up my FF helmet and DH bike. The gnar of the Pacifica is SAWEET!

sftrydr
    Meanwhile, hidden behind the veil of fog+time, many of those routes you rolled on are being brushed+maintained by MB riders+doggy walkers 1+ x a year.
    Join our Facebook page,Friends of the Old San Pedro rd:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3636...okmark_t=group

Riding+ maintaining these routes for future fun, throw in riders, we needya.
    No thread hijack intended, just unabashedly filling in how some of these Pacifica routes are maintained

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacifica Gnar!-img_8662.jpg  

Pacifica Gnar!-img_8756.jpg  

Pacifica Gnar!-img_8688.jpg  

Last edited by ssulljm; 08-28-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: clarity

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    as a trailworker/trailbuilder myself, i am willing to put some trail hours. Just let me know when and we will show up with lopers and shovels.

Great work out there and many thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    Meanwhile, hidden behind the veil of fog+time, many of those routes you rolled on are being brushed+maintained by MB riders+doggy walkers 1+ x a year.
    Join our Facebook page,Friends of the Old San Pedro rd:

Riding+ maintaining these routes for future fun, throw in riders, we needya.
    Jim

VRC Illuminati
    Always appreciating your tireless efforts Sully!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Thanks for the info, joined the FB group. Been looking forward to riding Pacifica one day but wanted to put in some sweat equity first. :-)

mtbr member
    Yeah, you definitely brought the wrong bikes! There are lots of good trails up in those hills, you've just scratched the surface of what's out there, spending some time on Google earth could serve you well.

mtbr member
    Fun night ride also, lights of the City, the Bay area and the Farallon islands, especially if you hump it all the way up to North peak!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    I frickin' love Pacifica! I'm still unclear as to whether or not Crack is legal to ride or not though (?) I've heard that it's fine and heard others say watch out for rangers who ticket for riding it. Either way it's an awesome piece of trail.
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

sftrydr
    Thanx to all the MTBR's that have joined up the Friends of the Old San Pedro trail FB page.(4 so far)
    As ya can see by the gas powered brush cutter, mainly the point brush cutter is sweatin when clearing....those following behind are mainly tossing cuttings off the trail.
    On the Old San Pedro, it's all about lines of sight being furthered....when riders can see folks up ahead+vice versa,they will slow+be courteous...

Crack is a historically accessed route, w McNee Ranch ranger staff currently in the stand down mode as far as access enforcement.
    Only reason they were maintaining a presence was due to some hiker types that built an alt switchback route that bypassed the crack.
    Once Parks staff was enlightened to the fact that the unauthorized building was not being done,nor was it blessed by the DH community, they backed off signing of the crack as "not a trail".
    Staff has Modified their efforts, in partnership w a few involved local MB riders, to focus on re-vegetating the hiker built bypass, and leave the Crack as before, w rider-walkers walking up the Crack to then ride down.

There was(is?) some self appointed walker types that occasionally toss clippings at the high point of the crack, in some misguided attempt at blocking access to all.
    They have disappeared, my guess is that they became frustrated by the fact that young,energized DH types didn't appreciate their misguided efforts to block a trail that has been accessed for many decades by the daredevil +the dainty riders-walkers alike.
    Thanx Rumphy for the kind words, our kids are the ones who will be benefitting most by what we do now to better trails conditions locally.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Right in my city, but have never ridden it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the idea Scott. Messed around up there today and it was perfectly clear. Didn't go all the way to North Peak or down to Montara, but rode a while and did some climbing. Checked out boy scout on the way down. Love this view of the top of the Devils Slide Tunnel project.

mtbr member
    There is some great riding in Pacifica if you know where to look. I've lived out here for 5 months and just have begun scratching the surface. Though I would be more than happy to ride with anyone who wants a semi tour, it's a semi because I still get lost lol.

mtbr member
    I'm more than willing to help out with any trail days out in Pacifica. I love trail work, almost as much as riding them!

Feel free to let me know when / where and I'll be there!

sftrydr
    Join our Facebook page,Friends of the Old San Pedro rd for 1-2x a year up to date trails clearing+Higgins st litter p/u opportunities:
    I'll also add, when driving to ride in Pacifica, if you are rolling up the Old San Pedro rd off Higgins,
    Park at Linda Mar school area on Rosita:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...fica,+CA+94044)

Higgins can get clustered , especially on wknds, and appeasing the neighbors with some pro-active minimalizing of their inconvenience goes a long way in continuing unfettered access.

One final note-appeal.
    99% of MB riders are damned courteous+respectful when encountering the equestrians that regularly inhabit the trails on the OSP rd+trails connectors.
    Keep it Up, as we have the rare opportunity to combine our respective groups in furthering riding enjoyment on these dirt paths.
    FYI the share the trails signs that have appeared at Higgins gate, top of mile were paid for by the Equines+installed by MB volunteers.

Feel free to let me know when / where and I'll be there![/QUOTE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacifica Gnar!-img_0853.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice pictures. Are these trails in Sweeney Ridge GGNRA? Which trailhead would you recommend we start exploring this park? Is there a map available for these trails you mention (miles, boyscout, crack)? Thanks, J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

formerly Gobike69
    There is no good riding in Pacifica. Please ride somewhere else
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

sftrydr
    Not Sweeney,
    Here is a suggestion on where to start:
    Pacifica to North Peak - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

Are these trails in Sweeney Ridge GGNRA? Which trailhead would you recommend we start exploring this park? Is there a map available for these trails you mention (miles, boyscout, crack)? Thanks, J.L.[/QUOTE]

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    ^Ditto the props to you and those that care for the trails Jim. I grew up over there for a while and learned to ride my first bike there. Lots of family history in the town and I know when I show my Father the pictures he'll smile just as much as I did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Made my first trip out there yesterday, had a blast and made a wrong turn. While getting to mile I missed the right to the start and stayed left. Went down a lot of nice single track and passed a fresh deer kill....eventually stopping at a gate by the new tunnel bypassing devils slide. short on time we ended up taking the freeway back to the school where we parked....I didn't care for the freeway riding, although there was a break in the traffic while we were on the road.

Went back out again today to figure out where I missed my turn getting to mile. Found it and had a blast on the trail and took boyscout out, which was really cool and above my skill level.
    Weird thing was when I got back to my truck, parked on adobe st above higgens, somebody wrote on the thermoply covering my tailgate....."I saw what you did. Watch Out!!!" I thought this was funny at first and still kinda do, but I can't stop thinking what they meant by it....it makes me think of a 90's slasher movie for some reason, which is why I think its funny.

I'll be back soon........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bent70 View Post
    Made my first trip out there yesterday, had a blast and made a wrong turn. While getting to mile I missed the right to the start and stayed left. Went down a lot of nice single track and passed a fresh deer kill....eventually stopping at a gate by the new tunnel bypassing devils slide. short on time we ended up taking the freeway back to the school where we parked....I didn't care for the freeway riding, although there was a break in the traffic while we were on the road.

Went back out again today to figure out where I missed my turn getting to mile. Found it and had a blast on the trail and took boyscout out, which was really cool and above my skill level.
    Weird thing was when I got back to my truck, parked on adobe st above higgens, somebody wrote on the thermoply covering my tailgate....."I saw what you did. Watch Out!!!" I thought this was funny at first and still kinda do, but I can't stop thinking what they meant by it....it makes me think of a 90's slasher movie for some reason, which is why I think its funny.

I'll be back soon........
    LOL.....Pacifica locals can be kinda weird. Especially the local DH guys.

ventanakaz

Gnar downfall

there goes the neighborhood and the downfall of DH & DJ in one to three years in pac town...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

mtbr member
    See what I mean?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yep....

Found out the person who wrote on my truck was my brother...fawker

ventanakaz
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    See what I mean?
    ...to say that is wrong, yes there are DH guys that think their (all that and a bag of chips) but so is true for XC. so it doesn't matter what you ride if your an a**hole than you an a**hole. we ride cause it's what we enjoy, be nice, and we will all have fun...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1962 View Post
    ...to say that is wrong, yes there are DH guys that think their (all that and a bag of chips) but so is true for XC. so it doesn't matter what you ride if your an a**hole than you an a**hole. we ride cause it's what we enjoy, be nice, and we will all have fun...ralph
    I do want us all to have fun. Your comment about "There goes the neighborhood" seemed to imply that you didn't want other MTB'rs to enjoy Pacifica. That is neither nice, nor fun.

Boyscouts is no secret. It's all over the web, and the Gearhead crew will tell anyone how to get there. It's not fight club. Those neighbors on H*********s street are going to get pissed if its two riders or two hundred. It's private property and when enough is enough will be determined by the owner. Planet of the Apes, Mile, and Crack, are public multi use trails and open for anyone and everyone to ride.

I think it's bunk when riders get all territorial like local break surfers.

ventanakaz
    i've been hear since 1976 and know the original builders (first builders of boyscout) heck i've installed carpet in two of their houses, and i'm the complet opposite of what you said, when i build a jump i love seeing people enjoying what i built. it doesn't matter who you are, i just love to see the smile of someone learning to jump on what i built. some of these trails here are on the downlow. the thing that i don't like is people talking about said trails that builders have built on the web. i don't care who rides here, i just would like people to try and not talk about some of the downlow trails here and of course it all over the web, but lets just try to keep this place open for many more years. everyone is welcome just keep the names of the downlow trails off the web...ralph

ventanakaz

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1962 View Post
    Great, another guy who can tell me some of the crap Grandpa did when he pulled you over, or what my Dad was like back then.

ventanakaz
    is that suppose to be funny. most of those jumps on the top of boyscout i built also some on the way down, also did a **** load of work on mile and crack. i put a **** load of back breaking work in this area and will be building again when the rain starts up. in boyscout, mile and crack...ralph

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ralph's got it pretty much right

No one is saying you can't and/or shouldn't ride there ( I think that's what some people take away from those statements)
    and comparing to local territorial surf crew isn't really comparing apples to apples
    since the surfers didn't build waves

I think what burns most of the builders of the downlow features (not the main trails) is people - who didn't build them, are advertising them (not just on mtbr, but other forums and videos, etc)

What happens is that people see the off the beaten path big stuff, then get in over their heads/abilities , then need to be med-evaced out, happens over and over

Does that mean they shouldn't ever be built (because someone might get hurt)
    Does everything need to be a pureed pump track or can we have some spicy salsa with sharp chips that you might choke on, maybe even rub your eyes have it burn?

if people suffered thru the poison oak, back breaking work, solo dig seshes in the rain, at night, they'd skip the self promotion and just ride with their buddies

For the record, most people here don't advertise the dl stuff and that's good that we self police, let's keep it up
    If you see someone building, buy them a beer, say thanks, help bring them some food, booz budz or boobs
    Don't fight with them, even if you think you are right (you are wrong btw )

mtbr member
    Are you suggesting that this thread should not have been posted? The OP has included photos of Planet of the Apes and a bit of Mile. These are public multi use trails. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe there is one photo of Boyscouts, nor a map or directions in this thread to Boyscouts. So what is the problem? How does Ralph believe "There goes the neighborhood". Did Ralph build Old San Pedro Rd? Mile? No. If more riders frequent Pacifica due to the OP's thread, I say good for Pacifica and Gearhead. It is obvious a ton of work has gone into Boyscouts. I don't care about it one way or another. I don't ride a seven inch Downhill bike. However, if the owner has given "permission" to just a few people..."The builders and their friends" How about going down to Linda Mar Ace and buying a couple of forty nine cent No Trespassing signs? Nail them into the trees at the entrance. Then Ralph and his invited guests can pin the course all day and night.
    Bottom line......This is a private feature built adjacent to, and in part of a public trail, with builders just "hoping" it stays exclusive. Hate to burst your bubble, but when school is out, every kid in Pacifica is there.

I am a Pacifica Resident, pay taxes, and vote. I am also a mountain biker, so I feel as if I can comment on this thread in any manner that I choose.
    As far as buying Ralph some beer, buds, or boobs for his efforts, I'd be glad to..........A lot of work has gone into that place.

PM me Ralph, I will indeed buy you a beer.

sftrydr

Friday-Sept 14th, 12 noon,meet at Higgins wy+Adobe dr

OK all you big shots

Here's a chance to stop lippin+start clippin....

Higgins Rd Litter Pickup+Brushing of the Old San Pedro rd up to Shamrock Overlook:

Friday-Sept 14th, 12 noon,meet at Higgins wy+Adobe dr

Driving Directions - Pacifica Mountain Bike Trails - Pacifica, CA

We brush back this area 2 x a year cause pretty much all potential negative encounters between doggy walkers-hikers-Equines-MB riders happen on the 1st mile of any high use public trail due to congestion+ lack of clear lines of sight.

Cleanup of the OSP is Friday-14th NOT Saturday-15th.
    please rsvp:
    ssulljm@gmail.com if able to spend 2-3 hrs on picking up garbage on Higgins+brushing back the OSP.

California Coastal Commission, Public Education Program. California Coastal Cleanup Day

COASTAL CLEANUP DAY, SEPT. 14 Noon
    Last edited by ssulljm; 09-05-2012 at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    I am a Pacifica Resident, pay taxes, and vote. I am also a mountain biker, so I feel as if I can comment on this thread in any manner that I choose.
    Even if it is to falsely accuse the local DH guys of writing on some guys car?

LOL.....Pacifica locals can be kinda weird. Especially the local DH guys.
    Yep....

Found out the person who wrote on my truck was my brother...fawker
    Last edited by dagenhay; 09-05-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Slightly off topic

Lots of Pacifica expertise in this thread... here is question: If, as an earlier poster mentioned, you "miss" the turn at the top of mile and continue you continue on what is, if I understand correctly, the old HMB - Colma road which runs along the top of Devil's Slide. I notice that at the top, just past the turn for mile, and at the bottom (near the fence at highway 1) there are the IMBA share the trail signs, so clearly a shared trail. The question is what's going on at the bottom? There is a split and from sat imagery it looks like the trail/road continues over to the entrance to the tunnels and it looks like from there is a new'ish looking trail down to Shamrock Ranch. However, access to this section is blocked with a log crossing the trail that is posted with signs saying its private property and no trespassing. So it looks like the only option is to ride the short pitch down to Highway 1. Is this part blocked to mountain bikers and only open to horses (presumably from the ranch)?

It would make a great loop from Montara - over the top along hmb-colma road, down through Shamrock Ranch, then hook back up with San Pedro Mountain Road, then back to Montara. But it looks like this can only be done by jumping on to Highway 1 down to Pacifica. True?

mtbr member
    Gideon has some good points, and major props to him and his crew for putting in some serious work out there. Here in SC we just recently saw what happens to a previously under the radar spot when word gets out and people forget about fight club rules.

The trails that have been mentioned here so far though are well known.

I do have a question about this though:

Crack is a historically accessed route, w McNee Ranch ranger staff currently in the stand down mode as far as access enforcement.
    Only reason they were maintaining a presence was due to some hiker types that built an alt switchback route that bypassed the crack.
    Once Parks staff was enlightened to the fact that the unauthorized building was not being done,nor was it blessed by the DH community, they backed off signing of the crack as "not a trail".
    Staff has Modified their efforts, in partnership w a few involved local MB riders, to focus on re-vegetating the hiker built bypass, and leave the Crack as before, w rider-walkers walking up the Crack to then ride down.
    Is that true? When I saw that switchback trail I just assumed it was put in by bikers so you could push up without worrying about getting flattened by someone heading down. That's a real concern when pushing up that trail. Do hikers really hike that? Doesn't seem like the up or down there would be much fun if you weren't planning on riding. It is nice to have an alternative to pushing straight up the barrel, and not have to go all the way around to the fireroad climb on the backside.

sftrydr
    If, as an earlier poster mentioned, you "miss" the turn at the top of mile and continue you continue on what is, if I understand correctly, the old HMB - Colma road which runs along the top of Devil's Slide.

Yes, this is generally the Old Colma Rd (OCR) along the ridgeline above Mile

I notice that at the top, just past the turn for mile, and at the bottom (near the fence at highway 1) there are the IMBA share the trail signs, so clearly a shared trail.

Yes, The equestrians purchased these signs, we MB riders purchased the stakes+ installed them. We also have performed maint on the memorial bench just above the saddle(re anchored the legs w mortar, which involved shuttling 75 lbs of mortar w mixing bucket up from Pacifica)
    Sidenote, those that utilize this trail between the imba signs, please ride with anticipation of encountering equestrians that use this trail(slow down)

The question is what's going on at the bottom? There is a split and from sat imagery it looks like the trail/road continues over to the entrance to the tunnels and it looks like from there is a new'ish looking trail down to Shamrock Ranch. However, access to this section is blocked with a log crossing the trail that is posted with signs saying its private property and no trespassing.Is this part blocked to mountain bikers and only open to horses (presumably from the ranch)?

Yes,That trail was built by caltrans as part of the agreement that allowed the bridge to the north portal to be built across Shamrock property.

So it looks like the only option is to ride the short pitch down to Highway 1.

Yes,
    The Shamrock property extends to hwy 1 at this lowest split, and efforts by a few of us pedalers over the years on this trail between the 2 IMBA signs (brushing back blind turns, digging drainage channels, installing the Share the Trail signs) have kept relations w the local Equestrians a positive one for the most part.

It would make a great loop from Montara - over the top along hmb-colma road, down through Shamrock Ranch, then hook back up with San Pedro Mountain Road, then back to Montara. But it looks like this can only be done by jumping on to Highway 1 down to Pacifica. True?

Yes. However,when the tunnel opens, and current Devils Slide becomes a bike-ped route, there will be a M/U trail that is planned which will go to Linda Mar across San Pedro Headlands. So no hwy 1 riding will be necessary to navigate the loop you spoke of.

I'll reiterate, if you haven't already, please join up our Friends of the Old San Pedro facebook page, help us with ongoing efforts to be proactive in reducing negative trails user interactions in this area.

For you non facebook peeps, the ROMP meetup page will also have our 2x a year brushing+drainage trails happenings posted:
    ROMP (Campbell, CA) - Meetup

sftrydr
    I do have a question about this though:

Is that true? When I saw that switchback trail I just assumed it was put in by bikers so you could push up without worrying about getting flattened by someone heading down.

So did Ranger staff,
    The dude( 70 yr old guy) who punched through the switchbacks you refer to, did occasionally ride a hybrid (700c wheeled) bike up from Pacifica side. However, he was(is?) more of a hiking type of outdoors cat.

Do hikers really hike that?

Yes,

A follow up comment:
    Discussions are still ongoing w ranger staff at McNee, re how-what-if any remedial efforts will be forthcoming on this bypass switchback trail.
    Please join ROMP , Friends of the Old San Pedro FB page, or ROMP meetup page to stay tuned.
    Proactive is better than reactive.

mtbr member
    People get protective of the trails in Pacifica because it is the ONLY place in the bay area you can ride dh bikes without having to worry about getting a ticket. You guys need to learn some respect for the DH community because they built all of the trails that you enjoy there. My hat is off to you 1962 and all of the other builders, thank you. If the builders don't want you to hype up their trails online the least you can do is respect their wishes.

mtbr member
    I think it's too bad they can't keep that side trail in there. IMO it's just a matter of time before someone pushing up Crack gets flattened by someone heading down (which will bring attention back to it and likely get it shut down). There are very few places you can get out of the way when pushing up, and it's pretty hard to see far enough ahead on the descent to stop in time to avoid a collision in those sections.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes. However,when the tunnel opens, and current Devils Slide becomes a bike-ped route, there will be a M/U trail that is planned which will go to Linda Mar across San Pedro Headlands. So no hwy 1 riding will be necessary to navigate the loop you spoke of.
    Thanks very much for all the great information!

And have joined the facebook group.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You can always take the long route up the main road if you want to be safe. Definetly earning it that way.