Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pacifica Gnar!

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... Pacifica Gnar!

Mile, Boyscout, Crack, etc is LEGIT and places high on the gnar scale!

Kinda wish i brought my DH bike or at least some good All mountain cushy bike.

We started off with a mild and gradual climb.

Sunshine will make no appearance for todays ride.

We climbed up all the way to the towers where Mile starts. This sucker was steep and i found myself HAB a couple of sections. Damn 32X17

My wife did awesome and only walked this section and another.

My wife disappering into the heavy mist.

We rode the trails back that went through the big jumps and fast switchbacks.

Next time i ride this, i will be donning up my FF helmet and DH bike. The gnar of the Pacifica is SAWEET!

sftrydr
    Meanwhile, hidden behind the veil of fog+time, many of those routes you rolled on are being brushed+maintained by MB riders+doggy walkers 1+ x a year.
    Join our Facebook page,Friends of the Old San Pedro rd:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/3636...okmark_t=group

Riding+ maintaining these routes for future fun, throw in riders, we needya.
    No thread hijack intended, just unabashedly filling in how some of these Pacifica routes are maintained

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacifica Gnar!-img_8662.jpg  

Pacifica Gnar!-img_8756.jpg  

Pacifica Gnar!-img_8688.jpg  

Last edited by ssulljm; 08-28-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: clarity

Singlespeed Poser
    Dec 2009
    as a trailworker/trailbuilder myself, i am willing to put some trail hours. Just let me know when and we will show up with lopers and shovels.

Great work out there and many thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    Meanwhile, hidden behind the veil of fog+time, many of those routes you rolled on are being brushed+maintained by MB riders+doggy walkers 1+ x a year.
    Join our Facebook page,Friends of the Old San Pedro rd:

Riding+ maintaining these routes for future fun, throw in riders, we needya.
    Jim

VRC Illuminati
    Always appreciating your tireless efforts Sully!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Thanks for the info, joined the FB group. Been looking forward to riding Pacifica one day but wanted to put in some sweat equity first. :-)

mtbr member
    Yeah, you definitely brought the wrong bikes! There are lots of good trails up in those hills, you've just scratched the surface of what's out there, spending some time on Google earth could serve you well.

mtbr member
    Fun night ride also, lights of the City, the Bay area and the Farallon islands, especially if you hump it all the way up to North peak!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

brownpow! (?)
    I frickin' love Pacifica! I'm still unclear as to whether or not Crack is legal to ride or not though (?) I've heard that it's fine and heard others say watch out for rangers who ticket for riding it. Either way it's an awesome piece of trail.
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

sftrydr
    Thanx to all the MTBR's that have joined up the Friends of the Old San Pedro trail FB page.(4 so far)
    As ya can see by the gas powered brush cutter, mainly the point brush cutter is sweatin when clearing....those following behind are mainly tossing cuttings off the trail.
    On the Old San Pedro, it's all about lines of sight being furthered....when riders can see folks up ahead+vice versa,they will slow+be courteous...

Crack is a historically accessed route, w McNee Ranch ranger staff currently in the stand down mode as far as access enforcement.
    Only reason they were maintaining a presence was due to some hiker types that built an alt switchback route that bypassed the crack.
    Once Parks staff was enlightened to the fact that the unauthorized building was not being done,nor was it blessed by the DH community, they backed off signing of the crack as "not a trail".
    Staff has Modified their efforts, in partnership w a few involved local MB riders, to focus on re-vegetating the hiker built bypass, and leave the Crack as before, w rider-walkers walking up the Crack to then ride down.

There was(is?) some self appointed walker types that occasionally toss clippings at the high point of the crack, in some misguided attempt at blocking access to all.
    They have disappeared, my guess is that they became frustrated by the fact that young,energized DH types didn't appreciate their misguided efforts to block a trail that has been accessed for many decades by the daredevil +the dainty riders-walkers alike.
    Thanx Rumphy for the kind words, our kids are the ones who will be benefitting most by what we do now to better trails conditions locally.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Right in my city, but have never ridden it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the idea Scott. Messed around up there today and it was perfectly clear. Didn't go all the way to North Peak or down to Montara, but rode a while and did some climbing. Checked out boy scout on the way down. Love this view of the top of the Devils Slide Tunnel project.

mtbr member
    There is some great riding in Pacifica if you know where to look. I've lived out here for 5 months and just have begun scratching the surface. Though I would be more than happy to ride with anyone who wants a semi tour, it's a semi because I still get lost lol.

mtbr member
    I'm more than willing to help out with any trail days out in Pacifica. I love trail work, almost as much as riding them!

Feel free to let me know when / where and I'll be there!

sftrydr
    Join our Facebook page,Friends of the Old San Pedro rd for 1-2x a year up to date trails clearing+Higgins st litter p/u opportunities:
    I'll also add, when driving to ride in Pacifica, if you are rolling up the Old San Pedro rd off Higgins,
    Park at Linda Mar school area on Rosita:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...fica,+CA+94044)

Higgins can get clustered , especially on wknds, and appeasing the neighbors with some pro-active minimalizing of their inconvenience goes a long way in continuing unfettered access.

One final note-appeal.
    99% of MB riders are damned courteous+respectful when encountering the equestrians that regularly inhabit the trails on the OSP rd+trails connectors.
    Keep it Up, as we have the rare opportunity to combine our respective groups in furthering riding enjoyment on these dirt paths.
    FYI the share the trails signs that have appeared at Higgins gate, top of mile were paid for by the Equines+installed by MB volunteers.

Feel free to let me know when / where and I'll be there![/QUOTE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pacifica Gnar!-img_0853.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice pictures. Are these trails in Sweeney Ridge GGNRA? Which trailhead would you recommend we start exploring this park? Is there a map available for these trails you mention (miles, boyscout, crack)? Thanks, J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

formerly Gobike69
    There is no good riding in Pacifica. Please ride somewhere else
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

sftrydr
    Not Sweeney,
    Here is a suggestion on where to start:
    Pacifica to North Peak - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

Are these trails in Sweeney Ridge GGNRA? Which trailhead would you recommend we start exploring this park? Is there a map available for these trails you mention (miles, boyscout, crack)? Thanks, J.L.[/QUOTE]

Obi
    mtbr member
    ^Ditto the props to you and those that care for the trails Jim. I grew up over there for a while and learned to ride my first bike there. Lots of family history in the town and I know when I show my Father the pictures he'll smile just as much as I did.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Made my first trip out there yesterday, had a blast and made a wrong turn. While getting to mile I missed the right to the start and stayed left. Went down a lot of nice single track and passed a fresh deer kill....eventually stopping at a gate by the new tunnel bypassing devils slide. short on time we ended up taking the freeway back to the school where we parked....I didn't care for the freeway riding, although there was a break in the traffic while we were on the road.

Went back out again today to figure out where I missed my turn getting to mile. Found it and had a blast on the trail and took boyscout out, which was really cool and above my skill level.
    Weird thing was when I got back to my truck, parked on adobe st above higgens, somebody wrote on the thermoply covering my tailgate....."I saw what you did. Watch Out!!!" I thought this was funny at first and still kinda do, but I can't stop thinking what they meant by it....it makes me think of a 90's slasher movie for some reason, which is why I think its funny.

I'll be back soon........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bent70 View Post
    Made my first trip out there yesterday, had a blast and made a wrong turn. While getting to mile I missed the right to the start and stayed left. Went down a lot of nice single track and passed a fresh deer kill....eventually stopping at a gate by the new tunnel bypassing devils slide. short on time we ended up taking the freeway back to the school where we parked....I didn't care for the freeway riding, although there was a break in the traffic while we were on the road.

Went back out again today to figure out where I missed my turn getting to mile. Found it and had a blast on the trail and took boyscout out, which was really cool and above my skill level.
    Weird thing was when I got back to my truck, parked on adobe st above higgens, somebody wrote on the thermoply covering my tailgate....."I saw what you did. Watch Out!!!" I thought this was funny at first and still kinda do, but I can't stop thinking what they meant by it....it makes me think of a 90's slasher movie for some reason, which is why I think its funny.

I'll be back soon........
    LOL.....Pacifica locals can be kinda weird. Especially the local DH guys.

ventanakaz

Gnar downfall

there goes the neighborhood and the downfall of DH & DJ in one to three years in pac town...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

mtbr member
    See what I mean?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yep....

Found out the person who wrote on my truck was my brother...fawker

ventanakaz
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    See what I mean?
    ...to say that is wrong, yes there are DH guys that think their (all that and a bag of chips) but so is true for XC. so it doesn't matter what you ride if your an a**hole than you an a**hole. we ride cause it's what we enjoy, be nice, and we will all have fun...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1962 View Post
    ...to say that is wrong, yes there are DH guys that think their (all that and a bag of chips) but so is true for XC. so it doesn't matter what you ride if your an a**hole than you an a**hole. we ride cause it's what we enjoy, be nice, and we will all have fun...ralph
    I do want us all to have fun. Your comment about "There goes the neighborhood" seemed to imply that you didn't want other MTB'rs to enjoy Pacifica. That is neither nice, nor fun.

Boyscouts is no secret. It's all over the web, and the Gearhead crew will tell anyone how to get there. It's not fight club. Those neighbors on H*********s street are going to get pissed if its two riders or two hundred. It's private property and when enough is enough will be determined by the owner. Planet of the Apes, Mile, and Crack, are public multi use trails and open for anyone and everyone to ride.

I think it's bunk when riders get all territorial like local break surfers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast