mtbr member

Our Mt Elwell experience...

If you saw my other post asking about your favorite Downieville area trails, you know that this is our groups 1st trip up here. I had read and seen so much good stuff about Mt Elwell that I *really* wanted to get up there. We went out there today via the Round Lake & Silver Lake ascent after being shuttled up to Gold Lake Lodge by John from the Howling Dog bike shop in Graegle. Overall the ride kicked my ass more than any ride in quite a while....several years probably. That HAB is no joke and the hardest part was how many times I kicked my pedals on the climb up. My shins are thrashed. The snow up top was 1/2 mile wide so we had to hunt for the trail. Thank goodness for Trail Forks!! Then the hydraulics on my seatpost went out little by little. Admittedly (and knowingly), I pushed the limits by raising my post past the limit line. 

As we kept descending, I leaned back too far/hard as I went down a snow bank and the carbon at my seat collar gave way. The seatpost hydraulic line was ripped and my seat collar went flying 20 ft. I was able to put it back together (other than the hydraulic line which was already toast) and ride the rest of the way full BMX style. Crazy day that I don't plan on repeating anytime soon.

Now to go frame shopping 螺

fc....I know you said it's your favorite trail up there but there are way too many awesome trails on this planet to spend that much time and effort on a HAB. I'd have to say that there wasn't a single ride we did this weekend that I didn't like better than the Mt Elwell ride. Just goes to show, we all have different tastes.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

fc
    stoked Administrator
    #toosoon

That's a rugged ride and have to wait for the locals to clear and dial in that trail.

My worst Downieville ride is there (cause my guide got us lost for two hours HAB). The best two have been there too cause everything went perfectly.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/longfor...umas-county-ca
    IPA will save America

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    What an adventure. I live so close and I still haven't done that ride.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    If you saw my other post asking about your favorite Downieville area trails, you know that this is our groups 1st trip up here. I had read and seen so much good stuff about Mt Elwell that I *really* wanted to get up there. We went out there today via the Round Lake & Silver Lake ascent after being shuttled up to Gold Lake Lodge by John from the Howling Dog bike shop in Graegle. Overall the ride kicked my ass more than any ride in quite a while....several years probably. That HAB is no joke and the hardest part was how many times I kicked my pedals on the climb up. My shins are thrashed. The snow up top was 1/2 mile wide so we had to hunt for the trail. Thank goodness for Trail Forks!! Then the hydraulics on my seatpost went out little by little. Admittedly (and knowingly), I pushed the limits by raising my post past the limit line. 

As we kept descending, I leaned back too far/hard as I went down a snow bank and the carbon at my seat collar gave way. The seatpost hydraulic line was ripped and my seat collar went flying 20 ft. I was able to put it back together (other than the hydraulic line which was already toast) and ride the rest of the way full BMX style. Crazy day that I don't plan on repeating anytime soon.

fc....I know you said it's your favorite trail up there but there are way too many awesome trails on this planet to spend that much time and effort on a HAB. I'd have to say that there wasn't a single ride we did this weekend that I didn't like better than the Mt Elwell ride. Just goes to show, we all have different tastes.
    I've got to agree with you...Mt Elwell is an ok adventure...there are better in my opinion. Mills Peak is only ok too; I think once the trail is built for Mills Peak, that trail will be much better. Lakes Basin is my go to area...there are a few hike-a-bikes involved with some of my rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How would that ride be on an ebike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Its unfortunate that you had a few tough brakes on this ride. Not sure who you got the beta from, but any honest depiction of this ride should not have been less than an adventure and still a tough even shuttling. If you knew the route (s) and ended back in Graeagle, your experience would have been much different. Give it a second try and get beta from a good source.

Lakes Basin trails in general force the rider to focus the entire ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Czar Chasm View Post
    Not allowed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I've got to agree with you...Mt Elwell is an ok adventure...there are better in my opinion. Mills Peak is only ok too; I think once the trail is built for Mills Peak, that trail will be much better. Lakes Basin is my go to area...there are a few hike-a-bikes involved with some of my rides.
    Did you check out Ronski's post concerning the Mills re-route?

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by Czar Chasm View Post
    Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    Not allowed.
    Not true.

Elwell is one of the best rides EVAR in the Lakes basin!!

Our Mt Elwell experience...-will-mt.-elwell-peak.jpg
    Banned for showing Boobies.

You-and your friend,are fvucking idiots. DirtVert

Spin-stabilized
    Dude, everything went perfectly because you did not ride Jamison Creek and climb out of that hole to Smith Lake. ;p
    Again, I apologize for nearly spoiling the Lakes Basin for you.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Dude, everything went perfectly because you did not ride Jamison Creek and climb out of that hole to Smith Lake. ;p
    Again, I apologize for nearly spoiling the Lakes Basin for you.
    Ha, ha...

The ride was awful but the company was A+.

It' always about the adventure.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I did that ride about 15 years ago with my brother on a whim...we were up doing the typical Downieville riding and asked a local for something 'off the beaten path.' It was quite a slog and my strongest memory from that day was the (seemingly) interminable ride along the highway back to the car (somewhere near packers saddle if memory serves).

We nick-named that place Mount Hellwell. Great ride but an absolute ball-buster.
    Support local trail-building: www.mbosc.org
    Help our most vulnerable population: www.goodkarmabikes.org

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Elwell's a different animal, that's for sure. Some amazing views, some super chunky rock, a little bit of flow. Fun, but not the smoothness of Skeggs or the roller coaster of the demo flow trail.

Mills Peak is going to be one of my favorite rides ever, once the jeep road interlude is replaced. Couple that with climbing back to the snag lake area via the trails on the north side of the highway and it's an epic down-and-up-and-jump-in-a-lake day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sounds like everyone should stay down in the bay and stick to the flow trail

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Nah, we bay area folk will not rest until we've blogged about every off-the-beaten-path place to ride, camp, and drink beer.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by NateArnold View Post
    Sounds like everyone should stay down in the bay and stick to the flow trail
    Because Elwell has no Flow.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Because Elwell has no Flow.
    It's hella Flow. Hustle and Flow.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    The other thing is if you've done Butcher 30+ times in the last 10!years, then you're looking for something grand and exciting.

If it's your first time, definitely do Butcher.
    IPA will save America

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

Sounds like the perfect Lakes Basin adventure to me?
    You should try Chimney Rock next!

Sent from somewhere out there.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Sounds like the perfect Lakes Basin adventure to me?
    You should try Chimney Rock next!

Chimney Rock. That's just a 'do once' kind of trail. #neveragain.

Although, when Angry Singlespeedster lives there, he likes to do that on occasion. He started doing it with an ebike too and the payoff became much better.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    What would Downieville be with ZERO shuttles??

Pretty gnarly.
    IPA will save America

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I'm really wanting to do Downieville this year. I need to rally my lazy ass riding buddies. So far only one has committed.

I need DH casing tires, right? I think I remember that from one of Griz's threads.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    You don't "need" DH casings, but it'll help you avoid a long walk out, particularly if your riding style is to go fast and take chances.

I ran Maxxis minions, front in DH casing, rear in standard casing, didn't get a sidewall tear or flat on either (tubeless, of course).

About 10% of the riders we passed were stopped to change flats. Since you're shuttling and don't have to worry about weight as much, I'd bring two spare tubes, a patch kit, and something to boot your sidewall in an emergency. But you're probably fine running regular casing tires.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    I'm really wanting to do Downieville this year. I need to rally my lazy ass riding buddies. So far only one has committed.

I need DH casing tires, right? I think I remember that from one of Griz's threads.
    What you need is tubeless tires with good sealant and reinforced casing tires. Also a couple tubes in the pack just in case.

DH casing can work but are a burden for all the pedally segments. Also, needs to be tubeless.
    IPA will save America

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Chimney Rock. That's just a 'do once' kind of trail. #neveragain.

Although, when Angry Singlespeedster lives there, he likes to do that on occasion. He started doing it with an ebike too and the payoff became much better.
    Thats what I'm talkin about!!
    DVO rents em!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    DVO rents em!
    Inneresting. Since when?

Angry Singlespeeder was a shuttle driver there and polled shuttle passengers what they thought of e-bikes 2 years ago. 8 out of 10 of them said it was cheating and destroys trails.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    What would Downieville be with ZERO shuttles??

Pretty gnarly.
    Devoid of mountain bikes? lol
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    DVO rents em!
    He had one in the shop and said it rarely gets rented so he may end up selling it.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post

I agree with the others, no DH casing needed. I had a Maxxis DHR 2.4 up front and and E13 TRS in the back. Killer combo that worked awesome up there. I don't know what the trails are like after the race is held but I was pretty impressed with how great the trails were (as far as not being blown out in every corner) on our trip.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Inneresting. Since when?

Angry Singlespeeder was a shuttle driver there and polled shuttle passengers what they thought of e-bikes 2 years ago. 8 out of 10 of them said it was cheating and destroys trails.
    Since this year.
    Greg's trying not to make a big deal out of it since everybody's panties get in a bunch when you mention eBikes.🤡
    And I don't care what eight out of 10 people said, the bikes are not tearing up the trails more, the motos do waaaaay more damage, it's legal, and they are way fun!
    I've already ridden UP the divides !
    So rad!
    Next up, Big Boulder
    Go on, haters gonna hate.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Since this year.
    Greg's trying not to make a big deal out of it since everybody's panties get in a bunch when you mention eBikes.嵐
    And I don't care what eight out of 10 people said, the bikes are not tearing up the trails more, the motos do waaaaay more damage, it's legal, and they are way fun!
    I've already ridden UP the divides !
    So rad!
    Next up, Big Boulder
    Go on, haters gonna hate.

That's cool Gordo. What kind are you using? I've been wanting to take ebikes there in Downy for the last couple years but they weren't quite ready. Could barely make it to the top and they rattle a lot and have weak suspension (Haibikes and Treks). But they're getting better.

The 8 out of 10 example is just a depiction of the angst against them.
    Angry Singlespeeder: "But it's legal here. And you're in shuttle..."
    Shuttle ride: "Don't care. They're cheaters!!!!!!!"
    IPA will save America

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

Our Mt Elwell experience...

That's cool Gordo. What kind are you using? I've been wanting to take ebikes there in Downy for the last couple years but they weren't quite ready. Could barely make it to the top and they rattle a lot and have weak suspension (Haibikes and Treks). But they're getting better.

The 8 out of 10 example is just a depiction of the angst against them.
    Angry Singlespeeder: "But it's legal here. And you're in shuttle..."
    Shuttle ride: "Don't care. They're cheaters!!!!!!!"
    Levo.
    Shuttle riders are lazy so Wat evs.
    BBRRRRRAAAAAPPPP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Levo.
    Shuttle riders are lazy so Wat evs.
    BBRRRRRAAAAAPPPP!

Rode Mt. Elwell today, awesome conditions and great ride. As for e bikes on non-motorized trails in Lakes Basin, Mills Peak, etc... USFS policy is they are not allowed.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Rode Mt. Elwell today, awesome conditions and great ride. As for e bikes on non-motorized trails in Lakes Basin, Mills Peak, etc... USFS policy is they are not allowed.
    Thanks for that update!
    Members take note.
    Don't think anyone really cares...
    BBRRRRAAAAAPPPPPP
    Flame on.

Name:  4436781.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  71951804.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  20.7 KB

Our Mt Elwell experience...-cbb1559bb482c7a76c83273b2c8da851cd585db8b9ddfd53859e109d16b8f209.jpg

Our Mt Elwell experience...-he-said-hes-mountain-biker-but-he-rides-17826569.png

Name:  images-22.jpeg
Views: 550
Size:  12.0 KB

Don't Tread on Me
    A few years ago I rode from Gold Lake Lodge, took a tour of the Lakes and went up and over Mt Elwell and down to Graeagle. I started at the Lodge at noon and rode into Graeagle just before 7 PM. It was not my typical type of ride. I had to HAB quite a bit of the climb to Elwell summit and didn't have the skills to handle riding the uppermost part of the North side descent. The view from the top of Elwell was spectacular. The trail does have some awesome sections and I think with more use it will get much better. I am glad I did it once.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Did the Elwell + Jamison creek epic a few years back-- talk about an ass kicker! I love Elwell, but if you're riding up Lakes Basin, you gotta be prepared for a decent amount of HAB. Even coming up from that side (I'd much rather start at Packer Saddle), I'm still a huge fan of Elwell-- one of the best trails in Norcal with a little bit of everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've done quite a bit of riding in the Dville / Lakes Basin area over the last 20 years and really enjoyed my first ride over Elwell into Graeagle last year. We rode north from Packer and had a friend pick us up in Graeagle. Still a big ride just as a one way. Great views. The north side of Elwell holds the snow late into summer and makes for some tough descending even if your not on your bike. Once you get past the snow the trail is steep, rocky and eroded. The trail improves as you descend and eventually finds some flow. There is a small climb about 2/3rds down similar to the climb up to third divide then descends down into Graeagle. It's a bit of a Backcountry adventure ride and a worthy objective if you like that sort of thing. If you want smooth go ride Mt Hough.

mtbr member
    One bit of good news, we finally logged out Elwell 2 weekends ago, the same day as the SBTS Trail Day over by Packer. This is pretty late to log it out, but between the snow, my travel plans, and a failed attempt a week previous (saw trouble) it was the best we could do. Hey, we're SBTS volunteers! It took a long day but we cleared all of Mud Lake Trail and both sides of Elwell. About 20 trees and almost 8 hours car to car.

Melinder and I ride Elwell at least a dozen times a year, but it's not for everyone! I like it just fine that way. Many thanks to Farfaxian, Melinder, and fellow sawyer Dustin (he's a lurker on MTBR but I'm not sure what his username is) for spending the day on the mountain with me. Could not have done it without them!

Dustin brought his monster 32" saw
    Our Mt Elwell experience...-img_20170819_100455666-01.jpg

Dustin and Ronski
    Our Mt Elwell experience...-img_20170819_145908017_hdr-01.jpg

Sometimes we ride with the saws, but this trip we hiked. Some folks will recognize this nearby trail.
    Our Mt Elwell experience...-img_20161024_124706895.jpg

A year back on Elwell Ronski finds a monster Red Fir
    Our Mt Elwell experience...-fb_img_1503864033665.jpg

Melinder enjoying a tree free Elwell
    Our Mt Elwell experience...-img_20170817_141654621-01.jpg

Bonus photo of Melinder making funny faces on lower Jamison which is right near Elwell and way rowdier
    Our Mt Elwell experience...-img_20170826_163111257-01.jpg

Bonus photo of Ronski on Jamison trail
    Our Mt Elwell experience...-img_20170826_162939654-01.jpg

Trail Gnome Moderator
    ^^^Thanks for everything you people are doing up there Jamison is much better than Elwell, in my opinion. I usually start at Grey Eagle Lodge, make my way around the Basin and up to the "ridge", head out that for a few miles and drop Jamison Mine. The hike-a-bike out of Smith Lake Trail is not going to be for everyone! It's an ass kicker Then I drink beer at Grey Eagle Lodge

mtbr member
    Gray Eagle Lodge, and the owner Bret Smith rule. Great margaritas, wine list, beers and food. They are huge supporters of the SBTS trail efforts.

The climb up and over to Smith from Jamison is a slap in the face but really isn't that long. We did replace the eastern half descending to Smith with a new route, which used to suck. It's also fun to occasionally descend Jamison all the way to Johnsville State Park and bypass the hike a bike to Smith. The finish is very very fun and is what's in the pictures above.

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Gray Eagle Lodge, and the owner Bret Smith rule. Great margaritas, wine list, beers and food. They are huge supporters of the SBTS trail efforts.

The climb up and over to Smith from Jamison is a slap in the face but really isn't that long. We did replace the eastern half descending to Smith with a new route, which used to suck. It's also fun to occasionally descend Jamison all the way down and past the hike a bike to Smith. The finish is very very fun and is what's in the pictures above.
    I've only hiked the "easy" way out...we checked out the fancy schmancy campground, then hiked back to Grey Eagle Lodge.

mtbr member
    That HAB is no joke and the hardest part was how many times I kicked my pedals on the climb up. My shins are thrashed.
    Come on, it's not that hard! Whichever side of the bike you push from, rotate that pedal forward and voila, no more shin strikes. Do more HAB, you'll figure it out... and get some killer descents in too.

I'm glad there are rides like Elwell that are hard to get to, keeps the lazy, entitled riders away.

I've been itching to get back up to Downieville, and was considering it this weekend. But I'll wait til temps are a bit cooler.

Thanks for the work Ronski!

mtbr member
    Melinder descends off the summit block of Mt. Elwell. The giant snow drift has just about revealed the trail right off the top. Fun times for a hot day.

Our Mt Elwell experience...-img_20170901_122123373-03.jpg

Our Mt Elwell experience...-img_20170901_122829465-01.jpg

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Come on, it's not that hard! Whichever side of the bike you push from, rotate that pedal forward and voila, no more shin strikes. Do more HAB, you'll figure it out... and get some killer descents in too.

I'm glad there are rides like Elwell that are hard to get to, keeps the lazy, entitled riders away.

I've been itching to get back up to Downieville, and was considering it this weekend. But I'll wait til temps are a bit cooler.

Thanks for the work Ronski!
    The problem with hike a bike is you have to do it a lot to get strong at it. I suck soooo bad at it.

But I've been with euros who are just GONE uphill when it's hike a bike time. Cause they do it every week.

I don't think I'll ever get good at it. Good for my muscle balance though.
    Last edited by fc; 09-03-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The problem with hike a bike is you have to do it a lot to get strong at it. I suck soooo bad at it.

But I've been with euros who are just GONE uphill when it's hike a bike time. Cause they donit every week.

I don't think I'll ever get good at it. Good for my muscle balance though.
    Same goes for climbing, doing long rides, etc...

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Same goes for climbing, doing long rides, etc...
    Sure. But in my 20 years of mountain biking, almost no hike-a-bike, except when I go to Europe.

So I suck at it and it's likely to stay that way.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sure. But in my 20 years of mountain biking, almost no hike-a-bike, except when I go to Europe.

So I suck at it and it's likely to stay that way.
    People should ride what they like, but many treasures await those who embrace the Hike a Bike. HAB rules!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    People should ride what they like, but many treasures await those who embrace the Hike a Bike. HAB rules!
    I've done quite a few. Not likely to get good at it though.Our Mt Elwell experience...-milner_trek2013_353.jpg

Our Mt Elwell experience...-slorence_trekitaly_047-1024x682.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I've done quite a few. Not likely to get good at it though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner_Trek2013_353.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	1155813

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLorence_TrekItaly_047-1024x682.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	1155814
    Those are awesome. Dolomites?

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Meanwhile, a little bit further north in the Susanville area...

Funding is approved for the Fredonyer Butte Trail System to augment the already existing Susanville Ranch Park and Southside Trails. Eventually SRP, Fredonyer Butte, Bizz Johnson Rails to Trail will all connect, and if all the legalities and funding get worked out, connect to the Modoc Line Rails to Trail. Total would be over 300 miles of interconnected multiuse trails reaching from Alturas to Susanville to Chester/Lake Almanor. If you don't mind a little forest road riding you can go all the way to Klamath Falls on dirt via the O&C Trail.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Meanwhile, a little bit further north in the Susanville area...

Funding is approved for the Fredonyer Butte Trail System to augment the already existing Susanville Ranch Park and Southside Trails. Eventually SRP, Fredonyer Butte, Bizz Johnson Rails to Trail will all connect, and if all the legalities and funding get worked out, connect to the Modoc Line Rails to Trail. Total would be over 300 miles of interconnected multiuse trails reaching from Alturas to Susanville to Chester/Lake Almanor. If you don't mind a little forest road riding you can go all the way to Klamath Falls on dirt via the O&C Trail.
    That's great news. You should start this as it's own thread so it gets better attention. I'd like to see a map and know where the funding came from, the build schedule etc. But in it's own thread not here.

used to be RipRoar
    That's great news. You should start this as it's own thread so it gets better attention. I'd like to see a map and know where the funding came from, the build schedule etc. But in it's own thread not here.
    Totally agree, that would be pretty amazing!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Elwell routing question. Let's say from Gold Lake CG to Greagle....
    Looks like there's a few ways up there, any recommendations?

* Gold Lake OHV Road -> Oakland Pond Trail -> ? -> Elwell trial
    * Head over to Round Lake Trail, take that all the way up to ~Oakland Pond Trail, continue as above.
    * Start @ Gold Lake Lodge, go up Bear Lakes to Silver or Mud Lake trail?
    * Do less climbing and start @ Packer Saddle?

Then from Elwell to Greagle, looks like Elwell Trail -> Smith Greek -> Gray Eagle Conn -> Gray Eagle?
    Or Elwell -> Smith Lake towards Gray Eagle Lodge, then down Gray Eagle Creek from there?

Poking about the Mud Lake route looks pretty appealing... found this ride on Strava which does that, except it goes back up Gray Eagle Creek instead of down to Greagle:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1143989663

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Elwell routing question. Let's say from Gold Lake CG to Greagle....
    Looks like there's a few ways up there, any recommendations?

* Gold Lake OHV Road -> Oakland Pond Trail -> ? -> Elwell trial
    * Head over to Round Lake Trail, take that all the way up to ~Oakland Pond Trail, continue as above.
    * Start @ Gold Lake Lodge, go up Bear Lakes to Silver or Mud Lake trail?
    * Do less climbing and start @ Packer Saddle?

Then from Elwell to Greagle, looks like Elwell Trail -> Smith Greek -> Gray Eagle Conn -> Gray Eagle?
    Or Elwell -> Smith Lake towards Gray Eagle Lodge, then down Gray Eagle Creek from there?

Poking about the Mud Lake route looks pretty appealing... found this ride on Strava which does that, except it goes back up Gray Eagle Creek instead of down to Greagle:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1143989663
    You've figured out all the options! Those are all great choices. I prefer the Oakland Pond approach, the Smith descent and the Gray Eagle Creek connector. Try them all!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks. Why you you prefer that route?

Do you mean Round Lake -> Oakland Pond?

huck to flat
    too many awesome trails on this planet to spend that much time and effort on a HAB.
    "If ya ain't hiking you ain't biking" You'd reallllllly hate a lot of the best trails I've ever ridden out in Colorado! Lots of HAB at 12,000'+

But I'll agree with you, Elwell is super over hyped!!TOO FLAT. The best part is Smith Creek Trail below the lake, which linked with Long Lake trail (from the dam) is ripper!! Jamison Creek is the friggin shit bud! Steep and rocky! GET IT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Thanks. Why you you prefer that route?

Do you mean Round Lake -> Oakland Pond?
    Yes, but other approaches are possible. I like the views into Gold Valley, and the lightly used nature of the trail. The connection back onto mid Elwell is fun too and also has great views.