fc
    mtbr founder Administrator

Our bro Tburger is broken

He was in Sedona and I got this photo yesterday. Don't have details yet. I just know it suxxxxxxxxxx.

Send healing vibes here. Peter Tsang is a good dude.

Our bro Tburger is broken-17097328_10158270102630075_4711791415906225355_o.jpg

Our bro Tburger is broken-17103487_10212731320864876_6255476426577907958_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Uhh ohh. That looks like a possible compound fracture. Heal quickly man!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yikes! Best wishes to that dude. Heal up quick!

mtbr member
    Heal fast bro! I'll see you on the trails when it warms up...

mtbr member
    Damn Peter, bummer! Hope you heal up as quick as possible.

mtbr member
    Bummer,,heal up quickly,,, and cant wait for the story

That makes me smart
    Ugh! That looks horrible!

I mean, 'tis but a scratch. Git back on it soon-like.

Maybe fc can make you a mod now?

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Ugh! That looks horrible!

I mean, 'tis but a scratch. Git back on it soon-like.

Maybe fc can make you a mod now?
    I'm a mod and I STILL cannot even delete a single spam post!!!

Heal, well Peter!
    "Life is way too short to own anything crappy"

fc
    From the photo, I can tell that he was clipped in. There's the smoking gun right there!

He is right handed so he can still take selfie photos all day and more important, do the tp paperwork.

Wrist is jacked and looks like got his bell rung too. He's in Sedona with a few mtbr dudes so I'm sure he'll let the dudes finish up all the riding and then they'll head home end of day today... or crack o dawn today. That all has to be fixed here.

He's got a good wife and good friends to take care of him. He'll be ready when Demo Forest opens. Not saying when that it is.
    Last edited by fc; 03-05-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    IPA will save America

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    I read on FB that it's a broken wrist with surgery when he gets home. He's a really good dude and a really good rider. Unlucky. Healing vibes sent, bro.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk.

MarkyMark
    Heal-up, brother!

ask
    user
    So rough... looked like a super fun trip too. Tburger is one of the best guys around. Heal up quickly brother.

PS - Time for some flatties.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Here's to a quick and total recovery *clink* (has anyone asked how the bike is?)

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Two Tired
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Based on the pictures, it looks like the pain was increasing so I hope it is under control.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Heal fast!

fc
    He should be home by now. It looks like a compound wrist fracture. You know the drill... X-ray, X-ray, find the best doctor and wait for the surgery date. This is the toughest part as it just gets worse until it gets better.
    IPA will save America

I'm really diggin it!
    Rode with him at D-Ville last year. Super good dude. I hope he recovers well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    He should be home by now. It looks like a compound wrist fracture. You know the drill... X-ray, X-ray, find the best doctor and wait for the surgery date. This is the toughest part as it just gets worse until it gets better.
    So glad I was wrong.

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    You know the drill... X-ray, X-ray, find the best doctor and wait for the surgery date. This is the toughest part as it just gets worse until it gets better.
    Dr. Barry A. Rose, MD | Palo Alto Medical Foundation

Though mine wasn't a compound, he put me back together quite well. Three pins, four screws and an external fixator. I was riding again pretty quickly and, aside from some scars, have no long term issues.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    So glad I was wrong.
    Michael Jackson said you are not alone.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Looks like they're on their way home from Arizona today. Safe travels.

fc
    IPA will save America

~~~
    Hey, thanks for the well wishes everyone! I've been home since Monday evening, and spent the last few days getting surgery scheduled and settling into my new routine. I saw this thread earlier, and while I couldn't reply yet, I did really appreciate your healing vibes here. Your posts really helped me stay positive.

So what happened? A group of us were out in Sedona for an extended weekend of riding. We did Hiline on Friday. Saturday was our second ride, and the plan was to do Broken Arrow out to the Hogs area. I think my crash was on Hog Heaven or Hog Wash. Bottom line is I took a really stupid risk on a rock drop. No matter how good I was feeling, or how well I was riding, I really should not have attempted it. Probably the worst decision I've ever made while riding, and the toughest part is knowing I put my friends in a really tough spot and risked ruining their vacation, too.

The second after I hit the ground, I knew my head was okay. I scrubbed the ground with my chin, but that was it. It also happened so fast, that I don't even remember how my body was positioned as I went over. I was chest down, doing a quick assessment, and looked at my extended arms. Fvck! My left hand was bent inward at a 45 degree angle! I screamed out, "I broke my wrist!", and my buddies and another good Samaritan (John from Phoenix, thank you!) were there to help me out.

John called 911 right away, and was able to tell them exactly where we were. At this point, I knew my only injury was to my wrist, so I had to get moving ASAP. As we hiked out, John was kind enough to stay with us so emergency responders would find us. Once we could see the firetruck below, we parted ways with John. Once we met up with the paramedics, I remembered reading a mtbr thread where the injured rider highly recommended accepting the painkillers if offered. They set me up with an IV and administered fentanyl on the trail while they cut my armpad off and splinted my left arm. We then continued walking down the trail. At least my friends were able to ride the trail a little bit from here on down. It was torture watching them have to walk with me. I couldn't convince any of them to just go ahead and ride down. At this point, since we took a shuttle to the trailhead, I knew the only option for me was to take the ambulance ride to the ER.

It was pretty obvious that surgical repair would be needed. I got a bunch of x-rays and pain meds, and told them I just need to be stabilized so I could go home on Monday and take care of surgery back home. The doc agreed that was totally reasonable. They then sedated me, straightened out my wrist, and put me in a splint. I was so lucky that nothing else was injured, and I could move around reasonably well. I hung out at our cabin on Sunday watching Star Wars and the Warriors game while the guys got in a final day of riding. That night, we went back into town to watch Logan before heading out Monday morning.

I felt terrible, but my wife was extremely understanding. I got tons of advice and support from friends and family. I got a quick appointment with my primary care doc to re-up my meds, then I lucked out with a next day appointment with a good in-network orthopedist who specializes in hand and microsurgery. He reassured me that I could be fixed with a "pretty standard procedure" with plates and screws. I was very happy to hear that. The only concern he seemed to have, which will just require an ongoing assessment, is whether or not I'll have issues with rotating my wrist. That's just something I'll have to deal with as my healing progresses. My surgery is now scheduled for next week. Wish me luck!

Again, I really can't thank my friends enough. We do have an amazing community here.

fc
    Buddy!!!! Take care.

Soon, each day will get better.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Maybe you should get another bike!!!

IPA will save America

~~~
    Xrays for the sadists here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    heal up T.

you type well single handed.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

I like mtn biking, too
    Nooooo Peter!!! Lots of healing vibes to you. You had such a traumatic injury, and the worst thing you can think of was ruining your friends' vacation. I know the feeling. I'm certain they are just happy that you are going to be ok. Sounds like there will be a lot of recovery, in which time you can hopefully hone your beer tasting and work on a sweet new bike build.

Take care man!
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

fc
    Surgery is tomorrow.
    IPA will save America

Dropshot Champ!
    Peter, sending healing vibes.

Let us know how the surgery goes, and you'll be out there before you know it! Probably by the time the snow melts!

Please leave SOME beer for the rest of us while you're not riding. Don't drink it all!

fc
    Our bro Tburger is broken-17553413_10212976833602541_4028532651117053384_n.jpg

hard cast off on March 27
    IPA will save America

fc
    Yesterday he hung out with us and demonstrated his progress.
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    So how much ti and stainless did ya end up with?

Like everyone has said, heal up man. PT's gonna suck but you'll get through it.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    So how much ti and stainless did ya end up with?

Like everyone has said, heal up man. PT's gonna suck but you'll get through it.
    Thanks man! I'm very, very fortunate it wasn't any worse. I only need a Ti plate and screws. The procedure was pretty much like this picture. Also, a hard plaster cast was never needed. I just went from splints to a removable plastic wrist brace now. Physical therapy just started, so now I can focus on working my way back.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger View Post
    Thanks man! I'm very, very fortunate it wasn't any worse. I only need a Ti plate and screws. The procedure was pretty much like this picture. Also, a hard plaster cast was never needed. I just went from splints to a removable plastic wrist brace now. Physical therapy just started, so now I can focus on working my way back.

Are those DIY instructions? I have that drill at home. Ahnud the terminator made it look easy.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

tburger is now a cybernetic organism: living tissue over a metal endoskeleton...

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    tburger is now a cybernetic organism: living tissue over a metal endoskeleton...
    Only if he keeps it. Then yeah, technically he'll have more ti-plating then me.

Air Pirate

You should have requested the purple ano version of that plate!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"