mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OT: Sorry, More Bird Pics!

Periodically I post some bird and other wildlife images, and I am doing so again here. My wife and I were back at our favorite norcal spot on Sunday, at the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge. I go there at least twice every winter and there are always lots of raptors there, as well as millions of geese and ducks. This time the raptors were there but not nearly as many of the geese/ducks as we usually see. I guess it is getting late in a dry winter so they are starting to head out. Anyway, here are a few images from the day. I hope you enjoy them. I have more on my photo page so if anyone is a glutton for punishment send your email address and i'll send you the link.

The lowly coot, the wannbe a duck...

Northern pintail..good detail

I think a young Cooper's hawk

Red tailed hawk

Immature bald eagle fly by

Bald eagle screeching

mtbr member
    Love it. Moar birds.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Moar cowbell! And then moar birds.

Can you recommend a good spot closer to San Jose? My chick's into birds (and I think they're pretty cool).
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Wonderful pictures, thank you. Look at the talons on that screeching bald eagle!!!
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Moar cowbell! And then moar birds.

Can you recommend a good spot closer to San Jose? My chick's into birds (and I think they're pretty cool).
    Dirtvert--

There are some decent spots around the bay area, but you won't find the numbers or diversity you do in the central valley which is on the migratory path for just about everything in the west.

Two places I might recommend would be the Don Edwards NWR at the foot of the Dumbarton bridge and the Sunol Regional Wilderness area. Don Edwards is right on the bay and is obviously flat..usually lots of shore birds there. Sunol is a huge regional park (with limited mtn biking unfortunately) with great views and hikes. It is the only place I have ever seen golden eagles. Lots of raptors around there if the conditions are right.

Raleigh5--I took a couple of closeups just of the talons, they look really nasty blown up!! Wouldn't want to be a duck or coot on the receiving end of them, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Love these, especially the raptors. We had a report of a bald eagle sighting in the Corralitos/Aptos hills area this week.

mtbr member
    My chick's into birds
    No pun intended.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Well played, sir.

That's an eggcellent example of an unintentional pun. From heron in I'll be more careful!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well played, sir.

That's an eggcellent example of an unintentional pun. From heron in I'll be more careful!
    You could have said, 'from heron in I'll beak careful'.....

mtbr member
    Nice photos!

Here's my attempt at capturing a Redtail that was hanging out up on Loma Alta:

Ok, more an image of Marin than of the Redtail. Sure wish I had a better camera at that moment.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love these pics - no apology necessary!

On a side bird note: If I play The Trashmen's song, "Surfin' Bird", my dog runs to the closet where his toy called "The bird" is. I've never seen a dog respond to a song before.

padded
    Don't be sorry - these are beautiful. WheelsJr is into birding and I always show him your pics. Keep 'em coming!
    I case you haven't seen it, the bald eagles that nest in the high tension tower above Calaveras Reservoir are back (way early compared to previous years), and they practically pose for photos. It's 100m from the road and an unobstructed view, and you can even see the eaglets (?) when they get bigger.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    I am no photographer and at best carry a point-and-shoot, but I am a trained and permitted mist-netter and bander. Here are a few more birds.

And by the way, I'm a crappy birder, and my field guide is (???), so these IDs are sketchtastic.

Northern Saw-whet Owl in a some beautiful Ponderosa Pine. Black Hills, South Dakota

Ovenbird nearby to Mountain Lake Biological Station in Pembroke, VA

Veery in western VA

House Wren (Common Wren??) in typical tail-up pose in the Black Hills

Blue-headed Vireo putting the hurt on field assistant in western VA

Western Tanager with my summer '09 boss, Black Hills

___ Flycatcher (???)

Black-throated Blue Warbler in western VA

Pretty bird! _____ Warbler in western VA. I'm sorry I can't remember.

Northern Parula with it's little necklace, western VA

Chestnut-sided Warbler in western VA
    Last edited by Snfoilhat; 02-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    DrWheels--I haven't been down to Calaveras to see the eagles but know they hang out there some time. It might be worth a drive down..

SnFoilhat--net set of birds there. I tend to focus (no pun intended) more on the raptors and other 'big birds' but the ones you posted are really cool especially since we don't see most of them in these parts.

(slight return)

Re: OT: Sorry, More Bird Pics!

Nice saw whet owl! Cool little owls, never had a positive id on one.

-slide

[edit : still learning to read (distracted by awesome pics...)]

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

No Stranger to danger....
    OP, great thread, great pics, i love birds and seeing your birds, keep em coming mate, rep+

@ Snfoilhat, same goes to you, great pics, how did you get all those birds in your hand, did you trap them?, or are you like Noah and they all just flew into your hand
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    @cohenfive, two summers of netting almost every day, and never had a raptor in hand. Your shots are great!

@Tone's, usually caught in a mist net, which is a lot like a badminton net w/ extra cords to make it taught left/right between the poles, but slack up/down so that birds can fall into the "shelves." I don't have a good photo.

Like a boss.
    No such thing as too many birds!!!

Last week, I took my townie bike out for a spin down the portion of the Bay Trail that parallels Tolay Creek in the Sonoma County baylands, looking for wintering waterfowl and shorebirds. Holy cow, I got there just at the right time (outgoing tide) and it was quite the bird scene. Thousands and thousands of avocets, Calidris sandpipers, dowitchers, etc... it was awesome!! Didn't have my camera, though, so I couldn't take any pictures. Thanks to everone for posting these!

I'm thinking of asking some of the local resource groups/land managers if I could coordinate a docent-led off-road birdwatching bike ride. Would anyone here be interested in such a ride?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Piranha, I sure would be interested in such a ride. I've thought about doing a mtn bike photo safari in Africa...that would combine a few of my favorite things in one trip! There is actually a group that does them..but I digress--certainly would be intersted in a ride like that.

(slight return)

Re: OT: Sorry, More Bird Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    @cohenfive, two summers of netting almost every day, and never had a raptor in hand. Your shots are great!

@Tone's, usually caught in a mist net, which is a lot like a badminton net w/ extra cords to make it taught left/right between the poles, but slack up/down so that birds can fall into the "shelves." I don't have a good photo.
    You're not netting in the right place :-) my second day at ggro I had 7 redtails and a prairie falcon. Many more redtails, coops and sharpies the one year I did it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2