new and improved

OT - Sedona hiking?

I have a significant history of visiting MTB meccas without a bike - Moab, Springdale, Durango, etc. Usually it's because I'm traveling with family. I'm adding a new Mecca to the list soon. Has anyone been to Sedona sans MTB? Any hikes that you recommend? I've got a hiking guide book but firsthand knowledge is always preferred. I'm meeting some non-biking people in mid-Feb for two days and want to wring out as many day hikes as possible. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Except 'bring a bike'. Because I know.

Danke mucho.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rent a bike?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bike dork extraordinaire
    Just got back from Sedona today. Only spent a few days there, mostly just relaxing, but we did do a bit of hiking. There are literally trails everywhere, from really easy half mile jaunts to some of the more well known rock formations, to strenuous all day hikes. We just stuck to the trails around Bell and Courthouse Rock, but some of the locals were recommending Fays Canyon, which is a few miles to the west of town, as well as some of the trails up Oak Creek Canyon. Given the beauty of the place, you really can't go wrong.

Resident Curmudgeon
    There is a nice set of trails that climb right out of the downtown with spectacular vistas. Best part is whe you are done the good beer and Mexican food is right there. walk downhill on 179 and take a left on Schnebly hill rd and hop on the trail in about 1/2 mile then just wander up hill as far as you want.

we went hiking there last spring

Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

new and improved
    Thanks!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    1. Go to the Bike and Bean. While "bike" is in their name, I'm sure--if pressed--they could turn you on to some local hikes.

2. Have some coffee and try to remember why you didn't bring your bike (they do rent).

3. Walk out the front door and continue onto trail network. It's just that easy!

And if you want some variety and want to see some saguaros (and who doesn't), you can drive south and hike on the Black Canyon Trail.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-10-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    We did a little hiking by a creek.

We had fun on a jeep tour. We had an American Indian driver. I got his "Native American" question right. He told me I was the second one ever.

If you're on one of the jeep roads, I wouldn't wear a headset to avoid getting run over by some yahoo. I think the Jeep tour guides are responsible, it's the private citizens I would worry about.

Beautiful area. We drove all over Arizona from Phoenix north, so we didn't stay long in Sedona.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    passing on some hiking suggestions that we got from a local and recommend:

Oak Creek West Fork Trail - Zion-like scenery, it is an out and back so you can go up the creek as far as you like and then just turn back (lack of a paddle is not an issue here).

Brins mesa - mellow hike up to the top of the mesa with views. Close in to town so views include condos and you could here some pink jeep noise, but nice.

Doe Mountain - shorter hike but takes you up to some nice views, feels like you are more away from it all here (because you are).

Elitest thrill junkie
    There's a lot of stuff high up on the rocks/mesas that isn't obvious, but it's tons of fun and amazing. Hangover, Mescal and Highline are some of the sanctioned ones at this point, but there are lots and you can get way up there these days for some amazing views. Get some local knowledge, or just make sure you hit the above trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    My wife and I have gone there several times in the spring. We hike in the morning, then I bike in the afternoon. Fay Canyon is a must. It is an out and back and while going in, if you keep an eye out, there is a trail on your right that takes you up to a natural bridge. A bit of a rock scramble to get to the bridge. Oak Creek. Red Rock Park has many trails. Airport Mesa is a trail that gives you some great views of the surrounding area. Chicken Point is another popular spot. Bike and Bean rents Santa Cruz's. Fat Tire Bike Shop rents Mojo's. Go for one ride. You will not regret it.

100% Recycled

Hiking Sedona

If you really want some great epic hikes..go to The Hike House 431 State Route 179 # B-1. " Sedona's Premier Hiking Store" The guys in the shop will lead you to the best hiking trails in Sedona based on your ability. Last time in Sedona they turned me on to Bear Mtn Trail...if you what one of the best climbs and views in the Sedona area try it, but be aware it is not for the meak and could be impassible in the winter.

Have Fun and must have one of thier smoothies with a homemade cookie..

also@thehikehouse.com

p.s. it is not a biking trail

mtbr member
    Doesn't this discussion on hiking border on MTBR website heresy? I'd quietly exit the thread, turn off your device and destroy the hard drive before the moderators find out. I would rather lurk MTBR forums than actually hike somewhere.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Doesn't this discussion on hiking border on MTBR website heresy? I'd quietly exit the thread, turn off your device and destroy the hard drive before the moderators find out. I would rather lurk MTBR forums than actually hike somewhere.
    scouting the poach bro
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    live in auburn, ca and just returned from 7 days riding in sedona...its cold now, but awesome trails...

from bell rock there's about a million trails that go back and forth....

slim shady/ ht is cool...

hit up schnebly road and do munds wagon/ cow pies...

little horse/ broken arrow and chicken point are cool too....

good riding...enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Boynton Canyon, even has with a vortex!
    agmtb