Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 225

Thread: OT: RC Cars

  1. #1
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522

    OT: RC Cars

    I just spent the week with Mark Weir. Now, I'm RC crazy. . The only interruptions were some bike ridin.

    Who is in to it?


    IPA will save America

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,013
    Oh man, those things are addicting! Brushless motors and lipo batteries are awesome. I've got 8 between my son and I.
    You should try the big boy 4wd 1/8 scale truggies, massive power and will clear 30' doubles no problem!

    Just another toy that hauls azz in the dirt!

    Name:  troy_brosnan_md.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  30.0 KBName:  IMG_9062_lg-Copy.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  32.4 KB

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,530
    Bought my little guy a 2WD Traxxis Slash F-150 Raptor for Christmas. Super fun and NOT crazy expensive. Yet....

    We have a couple of fun tracks on Fort Ord near the 8th & Giggling trailhead.

  4. #4
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,826
    I only play with human powered toys.

    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 04-24-2015 at 09:12 PM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    106
    It's usually the other way around. Guys playing with RC cars and moving on to Bikes. Tons are former RC racers are now bikers.

  6. #6
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I only play with human powered toys.

    http://youtu.be/ZTxANqTXHLI
    touche
    IPA will save America

  7. #7
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by linger View Post
    It's usually the other way around. Guys playing with RC cars and moving on to Bikes. Tons are former RC racers are now bikers.
    So get this man... I used to race RC at Norcal hobbies in Union City with my son. I had to quit since my kid lost interest and I couldn't spend whole days away from the family.

    Anyway, the racers were so unhealthy and grumpy. They always asked why I was so stoked and I always told them about biking. Anyway, about 10 of them took up mountain biking now and are into it big.

    Most have quit RC Racing because of the time commitment. But Mark Weir has that massive track in his backyard so it is a good complement to his monster pump track.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    56
    I've been into rc for a bit over a decade, and it's true that most who are neck deep in the hobby are in horrible physical condition. I'm lucky to have seen the light after the birth of my first son and a 60 pound weight gain. I got into bikes, quit smoking cigs, blah blah...now that I have two young boys, a healthy house payment and a biking addiction, RC has taken a back seat. I still have cars and a garage full of gear (nitro, electric, 1/8, 1/10 and some minis for the kids) but I rarely drive them anymore. I do love racing them though. It's a blast! I've kinda been bitten by the drone and airplane bug. It's fun to fly and the first person view (FPV) technology is awesome...gives you an in the cockpit feel. Plus guys are racing the 250 size drones FPV and it looks like a blast!

    Speaking of the rc guys who got into bikes, there are TONS. All the guys from AKA racing are hardcore cyclists, as are a bunch of guys from TLR and Team Associated. Jared Tebo (world champion racer dude) is even sponsored by his local specialized dealer. Hell, the guy that owns my LHS and track got into bikes and decided to get into selling bikes and bike parts online (worldwide online rc superstore RC Cars & Trucks, RC Helicopters & Planes, Bicycles - AMain.com in Chico Ca). A bunch of the guys that work there are hardcore riders too. The crossover is a common one and both hobbies have some similarities.

    @fc, you mentioned NorCal hobbies...sounds like you were there during the era when Kevin Jelich was involved. He works for AMain now, running the indoor and outdoor tracks and all the races.

    Anyone want to buy some rc stuff? Joking...kinda LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-image.jpg  


  9. #9
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalRider76 View Post
    I've been into rc for a bit over a decade, and it's true that most who are neck deep in the hobby are in horrible physical condition. I'm lucky to have seen the light after the birth of my first son and a 60 pound weight gain. I got into bikes, quit smoking cigs, blah blah...now that I have two young boys, a healthy house payment and a biking addiction, RC has taken a back seat. I still have cars and a garage full of gear (nitro, electric, 1/8, 1/10 and some minis for the kids) but I rarely drive them anymore. I do love racing them though. It's a blast! I've kinda been bitten by the drone and airplane bug. It's fun to fly and the first person view (FPV) technology is awesome...gives you an in the cockpit feel. Plus guys are racing the 250 size drones FPV and it looks like a blast!

    Speaking of the rc guys who got into bikes, there are TONS. All the guys from AKA racing are hardcore cyclists, as are a bunch of guys from TLR and Team Associated. Jared Tebo (world champion racer dude) is even sponsored by his local specialized dealer. Hell, the guy that owns my LHS and track got into bikes and decided to get into selling bikes and bike parts online (worldwide online rc superstore RC Cars & Trucks, RC Helicopters & Planes, Bicycles - AMain.com in Chico Ca). A bunch of the guys that work there are hardcore riders too. The crossover is a common one and both hobbies have some similarities.

    @fc, you mentioned NorCal hobbies...sounds like you were there during the era when Kevin Jelich was involved. He works for AMain now, running the indoor and outdoor tracks and all the races.

    Anyone want to buy some rc stuff? Joking...kinda LOL
    Yes, I know Jelich!! Amain is actually an Mtbr client now since they're doing bikes too. Maybe I can get a discount.

    Weir knows all the guys at Jakes Hobbies, Novak, AKA, Axial and Team Losi. Many of them were at his house this week!!

    IPA will save America

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    56
    I've seen that vid...and the one where he talks about the fire in his garage started by the LiPo battery. Those things are no joke! I was invited up to accompany a few of the amain guys on a trip to weirs house...would love to go! Go for a ride and let him squash me on the trails, then go back to his track and get even with him. That would be awesome!

    The guys at Fox Shox have a pretty sweet RC track at the Fox headquarters too...lots of crossover between rc and bikes and vice versa.

  11. #11
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Here's my son at 5 years old.




    I came home with one thes Axial Yeti cars. So awesome!!!!!! Here's lil man now. 180 lb kid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-11078094_10153163610503213_4568474214847343888_n.jpg  

    IPA will save America

  12. #12
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    A day in Novato
    IPA will save America

  13. #13
    Sweater
    Reputation: Buzzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,904
    I used to be into it, back when bikes were just the only way for me to get from point a to point b without walking. 25 years ago or so I had a Traxxas Cat, when Traxxas was first coming on the market and this was really their only car that I knew of. Shortly after they came out with the TRX-1 to start competing with Associated and Losi. Anyhow it was a ton of fun so I wanted another car and ended up with a base model Kyosho Ultima that I slowly upgraded over time. This was back when NiCd batteries and brushed motors were the only electric options. For serious performance nitro was still the top performance option and man did I want one. Eventually, once I was out of my parents house for a number of years, I wandered into a hobby shop in Chico on a whim. Walked out with an Asscociated RC10GT and a OS .12 motor. Still have that truck with the old school Futaba Magnum Jr controller and giant servos.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

  14. #14
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,736
    My family was into developing RC back in 1984, producing lightweight suspension parts from aircraft aluminum. My brother-in-law brought his skills from Chevron development and he was a natural but untrained engineer. I did a lot of photography to promote parts and support magazine articles.

    Insane fun; eternal childhood.
    I don't rattle.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AllMountin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,015
    I think I see more of these at my local jump spots than bikes, usually. And the skate park is overrun with scooter kids, but that's a different story.

    I could see getting into them easily, but there just isn't enough time in the day.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    56
    I fly RC airplanes and helis. It really takes time away from the bike riding. Maybe my priorities need to be adjusted.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    813
    I was a huge RC fan back in the 80s/90s. Shoveled snow all winter and mowed grass all spring to pay for an Optima Mid... I thought it was really awesome in that it was belt driven 4WD instead of chain and the motor was actually in front of the rear axel. Didn't even come with an electronic speed control. Had to wire in an aftermarket one from Futaba...

    OT: RC Cars-kyosho-optima-mid-524x342.jpg
    Seemed like everyone else was using a Team Associated RC10 at the time.



  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    89
    Rc cars will take up your life! I raced for a few years, it was practice one weekend and racing the next, then club racing mid week along with wrenching on them the other days. 1/8 nitro is where it's at, nothing like a 45 minute main to test your concentration.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    186
    I have a SC truck and just got a crawler, soooo much fun! I never had a decent RC as a kid, it pays to be a grown up sometimes!

  20. #20
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecRider96 View Post
    I have a SC truck and just got a crawler, soooo much fun! I never had a decent RC as a kid, it pays to be a grown up sometimes!
    I have a new Axial Yeti. So crazy. It is the next step after short course trucks
    IPA will save America

  21. #21
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Here's a bike and RC lifestyle vid I made while hanging out with Weir and friends. That guy is sponsore by about 4 RC companies!!
    IPA will save America

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottParsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    Here is an OT thread I can get down with.

    I guess I should start with the vintage stuff. This car has been terrorizing neighborhood tennis courts since '89. 1/24 Tamiya Tamtech. These models are actually surprisingly fast. A couple years ago my buddy hooked me up with a NOS chassis kit. At some point I'll paint the body and swap the electronics over and have an almost new car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-tamtech201.jpg  


  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottParsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    Up next is the HP Wheely King. This rig has provided a gazillion hours of bashing and tinkering. It has had it's share of reincarnations. Now resides to rock duty.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-_stp0692sml.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-small-0989.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-small-0307.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-small-0366.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-small-0016.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-wkswampcrawl.jpg  


  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottParsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    Saving the best for last. The 1/16 Traxxas e-REVO vxl. This thing is scary fast and just about the perfect fun R/C car IMO.

    https://instagram.com/p/f6EIoIGVjb/?...y=scottparsley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-wallride.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-small-0069.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-photo-1.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-photo-2.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-small-6.jpg  


  25. #25
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Yeah mini-revo. We had one of those. It was the first evidence that electric was going to be faster than gas from then on.
    IPA will save America

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,530
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottParsley View Post
    Here is an OT thread I can get down with.

    I guess I should start with the vintage stuff. This car has been terrorizing neighborhood tennis courts since '89. 1/24 Tamiya Tamtech. These models are actually surprisingly fast. A couple years ago my buddy hooked me up with a NOS chassis kit. At some point I'll paint the body and swap the electronics over and have an almost new car.

    -Ha!! I still have one of these & my original Grasshopper from the late 80's.
    You are correct - These little 1/24 scale cars were SUPER fast for the day!!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I have a new Axial Yeti. So crazy. It is the next step after short course trucks
    Nice, they make some cool stuff, Im looking at either Deadbolt, or Yeti or maybe the Wraith next.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    56

  29. #29
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Here you go. Some bike and RC in Novato!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-11136088_10153160795428213_4862947800231220499_o.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-ak_20150422_ak1_4594.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-ak_20150422_ak1_4662.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-ak_20150422_ak1_4951.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-ak_20150422_ak1_5778.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-ak_20150422_ak1_5923.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-ak_20150422_ak1_6119.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-ak_20150422_ak1_6358.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-ak_20150422_ak1_6407.jpg  

    IPA will save America

  30. #30
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522


    My kid and I went for a hike. We brought the Yeti. He still knows how to drive!!

    I'm taking him to Weir's tomorrow!!!
    IPA will save America

  31. #31
    Sober for now...
    Reputation: bjammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I just spent the week with Mark Weir. Now, I'm RC crazy. . The only interruptions were some bike ridin.

    Who is in to it?


    Hey Francis, this video is what got me back into RC racing. When my wife ask's WTF I'm spending so much money on... I blame you.

    Ben from SockGuy.

  32. #32
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by bjammin View Post
    Hey Francis, this video is what got me back into RC racing. When my wife ask's WTF I'm spending so much money on... I blame you.

    Ben from SockGuy.
    You're welcome. What kind of car do you have.

    I took my kid there. He was pump tracking and RCing all afternoon.
    IPA will save America

  33. #33
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    It's ok to RC. You just have to keep riding too. It's like beer and coffee.

    I'm riding soon. My backyard says I'm almost ready.
    IPA will save America

  34. #34
    Sober for now...
    Reputation: bjammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    329
    TLR 22 buggy and SCT.
    I'm also in the process of converting my old nitro Ofna Hyper 7 to 4c brushless with a Castle kit. Should be insane when done. That one will be my basher, the 22's will be for race only with light bashing duties.

  35. #35
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Moar photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-img_3370.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-img_3379.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-img_3388.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-img_3397.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-img_3399.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-img_3429.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-img_3585.jpg  

    OT: RC Cars-img_3646.jpg  

    IPA will save America

  36. #36
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    One of my key mistakes in the last 5 years is I always assumed this was an activity for me and my boy. We never invited daughter in all our shenanigans. Last week, I asked 12 year old to try and she loved it. Mostly she just loved playing with me and competing with brother. From now on, she's gets first shot at all 'boy' activities.
    IPA will save America

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottParsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    I only have girls so they have no choice

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AngryElf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    120
    I used to love RC cars. I had everything from a Mini-z to a 1/8th buggy. Still have the best of my mini-zs, but my 1/12th and 1/10 cars are long gone. I still have a 1/8th nitro buggy that I would love to go to a good home. I'm in Marin. PM me if you are interested. More spare parts and tires and wheels and even a spare engine.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,569
    Tried it. Loved it. Got too expensive. Honestly, I'd like to give it another try, I just don't think I have the funds.

    Got this in horrible shape...tore it down and rebuilt it. Never really got to play with it...



    This beast was my favorite...



    Another one that was all busted up but a freebie...brought it back to life...



    I already have too many hobbies....can't add another one.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottParsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    274
    This is when Madi was super little and super cute. She's almost 6 now and still cute but not in the same way. Now she's learning to drive the crawler and the MIRV.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalRider76 View Post
    The crossover is a common one and both hobbies have some similarities.
    Yup...with both, it's REALLY easy to spend loads of cash of shiny bits of machined metal in a rainbow of colors lol.

    My thinking ten years ago: "That shiny red-anodized shock tower isn't necessary, but WE WANTS IT, PRECIOUS!"

    My thinking now: "That shiny red-anodized seatpost collar isn't necessary, but WE WANTS IT, PRECIOUS!"

  42. #42
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBuerg View Post
    Yup...with both, it's REALLY easy to spend loads of cash of shiny bits of machined metal in a rainbow of colors lol.

    My thinking ten years ago: "That shiny red-anodized shock tower isn't necessary, but WE WANTS IT, PRECIOUS!"

    My thinking now: "That shiny red-anodized seatpost collar isn't necessary, but WE WANTS IT, PRECIOUS!"
    My precious. 0n my new Axial Yeti, every part can be upgraded.

    Both hobbies are kid friendly.

    Both are wallet unfriendly.

    Only biking is fitness friendly.

    Both can play with drones. Drones are precious.

    When you combine the two sports, then it really works.
    IPA will save America

  43. #43
    I've had a Pliny
    Reputation: atayl0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    391
    Just built up a Yeti kit. The son had fun doing the build and it's a good time driving it around the woods. Except for bent axles - son is too far into the bashing thing. He needs to dial it down.

  44. #44
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by atayl0r View Post
    Just built up a Yeti kit. The son had fun doing the build and it's a good time driving it around the woods. Except for bent axles - son is too far into the bashing thing. He needs to dial it down.
    Yeti is so cool. Wheels are exposed though so can't hit things too hard. How old is your son?
    IPA will save America

  45. #45
    I've had a Pliny
    Reputation: atayl0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yeti is so cool. Wheels are exposed though so can't hit things too hard. How old is your son?
    13 - 14 end of August. Yes, plenty of hard hits with the Yeti. He'll learn not to hit things so hard since I'm making him repair what he's bent!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBuerg View Post
    Yup...with both, it's REALLY easy to spend loads of cash of shiny bits of machined metal in a rainbow of colors lol.

    My thinking ten years ago: "That shiny red-anodized shock tower isn't necessary, but WE WANTS IT, PRECIOUS!"

    My thinking now: "That shiny red-anodized seatpost collar isn't necessary, but WE WANTS IT, PRECIOUS!"
    LOL! I learned that lesson very early. I built a Kyosho 777 SP2 1/8 buggy kit with the full Fioroni option part treatment, carbon fiber bits, ti screws, ceramic bearings, and lightweight drivetrain parts. Almost $1500 into the roller alone...but it was SICK! I learned from it though and stopped buying bling parts and spent the extra money on performance parts like tires. That was smart...LOL

    I got sucked into the same habits with my first couple of bikes, but I learned from it and bought one that doesn't need any upgrades the third time around. Well, maybe it could use a Better set of wheels and a red seat post collar... And then maybe a red stem and red pedals to match. ;-)

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    My precious. 0n my new Axial Yeti, every part can be upgraded.

    Drones are precious.
    Upgrading crawlers is a little more rewarding than a race car. The CNC parts from brands like Vanquish and RC4WD not only look awesome, and incredibly realistic, they also improve durability and crawling prowess. RC4WD has some rad truck kits too...

    As far as drones go, these are TONS of fun Spedix S250 BNF Quadcopter Drone w/KK2 Flight Controller [SPX-81010] | Kits - AMain.com - AMain.com Its an all inclusive kit, just add a spektrum 6-Ch radio and a battery. You need to add a few more things to do FPV, but this kit makes it easy to do.

    On a side note, the ROAR 1/8 Fuel Nationals are this weekend at Silver Dollar Raceway in Chico. If you want to see some of the best RC racers in the world, on one of the most insane tracks ever sculpted from dirt, come up to Chico on Sunday to watch the mains...gonna be an insane race!

  48. #48
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalRider76 View Post
    LOL! I learned that lesson very early. I built a Kyosho 777 SP2 1/8 buggy kit with the full Fioroni option part treatment, carbon fiber bits, ti screws, ceramic bearings, and lightweight drivetrain parts. Almost $1500 into the roller alone...but it was SICK! I learned from it though and stopped buying bling parts and spent the extra money on performance parts like tires. That was smart...LOL

    I got sucked into the same habits with my first couple of bikes, but I learned from it and bought one that doesn't need any upgrades the third time around. Well, maybe it could use a Better set of wheels and a red seat post collar... And then maybe a red stem and red pedals to match. ;-)
    Hear, hear.

    1/8 buggy is the gnarliest! So fast and they fly so far!!!

    fc
    IPA will save America

  49. #49
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalRider76 View Post
    Upgrading crawlers is a little more rewarding than a race car. The CNC parts from brands like Vanquish and RC4WD not only look awesome, and incredibly realistic, they also improve durability and crawling prowess. RC4WD has some rad truck kits too...

    As far as drones go, these are TONS of fun Spedix S250 BNF Quadcopter Drone w/KK2 Flight Controller [SPX-81010] | Kits - AMain.com - AMain.com Its an all inclusive kit, just add a spektrum 6-Ch radio and a battery. You need to add a few more things to do FPV, but this kit makes it easy to do.

    On a side note, the ROAR 1/8 Fuel Nationals are this weekend at Silver Dollar Raceway in Chico. If you want to see some of the best RC racers in the world, on one of the most insane tracks ever sculpted from dirt, come up to Chico on Sunday to watch the mains...gonna be an insane race!


    My friend Kevin Jelich is now a track builder in Chico. Imma go there at the end of summer as I need to visit the tracks and Amain Hobbies. Sierra Nevada and the trails are destinations too. How far is Chico anyway? I should check out that college too.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    My friend Kevin Jelich is now a track builder in Chico. Imma go there at the end of summer as I need to visit the tracks and Amain Hobbies. Sierra Nevada and the trails are destinations too. How far is Chico anyway? I should check out that college too.

    fc
    I know Kevin well! Great guy.

    How far is Chico from where? ;-) Chico is a few hours north of you I believe...our trails are very unique. If you haven't ridden here, you need to.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    368
    I've been into RC for about the last 4yrs or so, and recently sold my whole collection including my "RC Garage", which was my tools, charger, soldering iron, oils, air compressor and a bunch of other things. I had 2 Slash 4x4s, Yeti XL, MT4G3, SCX10, Losi Ten Rally X, 4x4 Stampede, Ofna Hyper 10tt, HPI WR8, Tamiya Lunch Box and a few others.
    Now I sold my stuff because I wanted to put my time, effort and money into focusing on MTB exclusively. Plus kids are older, and not too many places to run around the house. So that was it RC was over. Until I saw this:



    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    The tide is turning on the eBike issue. The anti-eBike crowd is being seen as the luddites that they really are.

  52. #52
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Surf View Post
    I've been into RC for about the last 4yrs or so, and recently sold my whole collection including my "RC Garage", which was my tools, charger, soldering iron, oils, air compressor and a bunch of other things. I had 2 Slash 4x4s, Yeti XL, MT4G3, SCX10, Losi Ten Rally X, 4x4 Stampede, Ofna Hyper 10tt, HPI WR8, Tamiya Lunch Box and a few others....
    When I sold my RC, I got $4k. That prolly means I had a lot more invested.

    I saw that XMAXX too. Cool. Until I saw the price...
    IPA will save America

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    449
    I saw the Xmaxx too and have been trying to justify it as a family gift My boys are 3 and 6 years old. What is the likelihood a 6 year old could drive this in the reduced power mode without breaking tons of stuff all the time? Does it make sense that this larger truck would be a bit more durable? My last RC car was a gas powered RC10 over 10 years ago.

  54. #54
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    I saw the Xmaxx too and have been trying to justify it as a family gift My boys are 3 and 6 years old. What is the likelihood a 6 year old could drive this in the reduced power mode without breaking tons of stuff all the time? Does it make sense that this larger truck would be a bit more durable? My last RC car was a gas powered RC10 over 10 years ago.
    hell no. That thing weighs 21 lbs. It can kill.

    What you need is some kind of Axial Rock Crawler.

    Back in the day, I bought my kid a Traxxas Summit. That was purdy cool.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,692
    I'd love to have a Killer Krawler. I don't know why they stopped making them.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    I saw the Xmaxx too and have been trying to justify it as a family gift My boys are 3 and 6 years old. What is the likelihood a 6 year old could drive this in the reduced power mode without breaking tons of stuff all the time? Does it make sense that this larger truck would be a bit more durable? My last RC car was a gas powered RC10 over 10 years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    hell no. That thing weighs 21 lbs. It can kill.

    What you need is some kind of Axial Rock Crawler.

    Back in the day, I bought my kid a Traxxas Summit. That was purdy cool.

    fc
    Lol, FC is right to a degree. If you run the X Maxx on 6s at full power, its definitely dangerous and can probably break bones if it hits a kids leg at full speed. Now on 4s, setting the ESC to training mode, which is about half power, In an open field, the 6yr old with practice, and learning to respect the trucks potential, should be ok. The Axial SCX10 would be a good choice for the kids because they're slow. Only bummer about them, is they tip over easy, and are not waterproof. Just taking the kids out to drive the X Maxx would be fun just having them watch. When we would bash, we would have EVERY kid at the park or wherever run up to us and ask to drive it. I would always say "No". After the initial disappointment, they were stoked just to watch it jump and go really fast.


    Edit: It's been a while since I've looked at Axial stuff, but it looks like most of their stuff is waterproof now. Plus they have this cool buggy out:



    Now you can get this for the kids, and the XMaxx for "everybody."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    The tide is turning on the eBike issue. The anti-eBike crowd is being seen as the luddites that they really are.

  57. #57
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    I have an Axial Yeti 1/10 scale rock racer. That's fun for the whole clan
    IPA will save America

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    741
    25 years ago in Phoenix and 10 years ago in Ridgecrest I went through R/C car phases. Back in my Ridgecrest life, I owned the fifth production BJ4 buggy from JConcepts, before they sold the design back to Associated. That was neato. But it was stolen. Brushless motors and lithium batteries were just then coming in and they were writing rules for them. I could tell they were going to change the hobby a lot, for airplanes too. I wouldn't have predicted the tiny helicopters and quad copters would be this good by now, I saw the first quad about 20 years ago at a lafayette IN hobby shop near Purdue, with about a 2-foot span and running on nicads, and it was hard to fly (stable but not station-keeping like the current ones) and had a flight time of about a minute.

    I found most of the gas-powered stuff frightening. The .12 gas stadium trucks were about the same as the mod electrics, that wasn't too scary. A .12 2-speed touring car was just too fast, you could easily lacerate and break some kid's ankle if you locked up the powerful brakes at the end of the straightaway. The big 4x4 trucks like the T-Max that came on the scene 10-15 years ago were terrifying to turn-marshall around big jumps. No way I'd give anything that size and power to a 6yo.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    449
    thanks for the feedback....I'm still thinking if an RC car / truck makes sense for us at this stage, but this give me some stuff to consider

    Happy Thanksgiving!

  60. #60
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Here's my kid 10 years ago at 5 years old. I think that's a Traxxas Stampede. Progress them through smaller cars and they'll learn to control these things better than us.
    IPA will save America

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    741
    ^^^ yes a Stampede would be perfect, they are tough and capable and just good enough to "corner" rather than just turn without any gees. I recall they are made with straight nylon-y plastic and not the fiber reinforced stuff on the race cars, which means they don't break nearly as easily. Gear diff means there's little to wear out. Limit the speed control and hook up a big lipo battery and kiddo could play for an hour, a far cry from couple of minutes we had back in the nicad days.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by linger View Post
    It's usually the other way around. Guys playing with RC cars and moving on to Bikes. Tons are former RC racers are now bikers.
    Same here. And 3D RC too, which I consider a step above in the RC hierarchy :-)

    After I started MTB I once broke a wingtip on my go to 3D plane. 15 minutes fix and its still broken many years later :-) I should probably sell that stuff.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    365
    Before I join an RC car forum I thought I post here...I just bought a brushless power Team Associated RC18B2 for playing inside the house. It has a 5000kV motor and 7.2V NiMH battery. I want to slow it down a little bit. Would a higher KV motor with the same battery do the trick? I'm thinking less torque would slow it down, but at the expense of running it hotter? Good idea or not?

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    Before I join an RC car forum I thought I post here...I just bought a brushless power Team Associated RC18B2 for playing inside the house. It has a 5000kV motor and 7.2V NiMH battery. I want to slow it down a little bit. Would a higher KV motor with the same battery do the trick? I'm thinking less torque would slow it down, but at the expense of running it hotter? Good idea or not?
    Can you limit it electronically with the existing motor?

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Can you limit it electronically with the existing motor?
    It only has forward/reverse "sport" and forward only "race" modes. Associated has a sale on the BL motors, and a nice exchange program, so I figured it's worth a shot at trying it out with the higher kV motor.

    While I'm asking about the car, anyone know if the aluminum shock bodies makes any difference over the plastic ones?

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    It only has forward/reverse "sport" and forward only "race" modes. Associated has a sale on the BL motors, and a nice exchange program, so I figured it's worth a shot at trying it out with the higher kV motor.

    While I'm asking about the car, anyone know if the aluminum shock bodies makes any difference over the plastic ones?
    You need to start heading over here:

    R/C Tech

  67. #67
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    Before I join an RC car forum I thought I post here...I just bought a brushless power Team Associated RC18B2 for playing inside the house. It has a 5000kV motor and 7.2V NiMH battery. I want to slow it down a little bit. Would a higher KV motor with the same battery do the trick? I'm thinking less torque would slow it down, but at the expense of running it hotter? Good idea or not?
    The higher the Kv, the faster the motor/car will run, the more amps it will draw, and lower runtimes. Speed can also be adjusted with gearing as well. The speeds
    quoted come from stock spur, and the stock pinion, so faster or slower speeds are easily attainable with a gearing change.

    http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...a%20Setups.pdf
    IPA will save America

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hobine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    283
    I've got a few...

    Axial Wraith


    A hybrid of sorts with a Slash front end, 2sp transmission and solid rear.


    Another Bronco that's never finished


    Rusty Toyota Flatbed, sold this one


    Also built up a Yeti kit.

  69. #69
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    I've got a few...

    Axial Wraith


    A hybrid of sorts with a Slash front end, 2sp transmission and solid rear.


    Another Bronco that's never finished


    Rusty Toyota Flatbed, sold this one


    Also built up a Yeti kit.
    DAmmmm. Just sold my Yeti. Looking for something smaller or slower for the pump track.
    IPA will save America

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hobine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    DAmmmm. Just sold my Yeti. Looking for something smaller or slower for the pump track.
    Twin Hammers might fit the bill.

  71. #71
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Twin Hammers might fit the bill.
    Looks pretty good. Still a little big.
    IPA will save America

  72. #72
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,342
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    When I sold my RC, I got $4k. That prolly means I had a lot more invested.

    I saw that XMAXX too. Cool. Until I saw the price...
    The original Summit came out at a list of $699 BEFORE the 2.4GHZ radio upgrade. Bought mine just a few months after release at a local Hobby shop for $549, still have and love that truck, doubt the X will retail for full price much after release. The X is making me seriously consider thinning my RC herd to sponsor its purchase.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  73. #73
    Sweater
    Reputation: Buzzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    Before I join an RC car forum I thought I post here...I just bought a brushless power Team Associated RC18B2 for playing inside the house. It has a 5000kV motor and 7.2V NiMH battery. I want to slow it down a little bit. Would a higher KV motor with the same battery do the trick? I'm thinking less torque would slow it down, but at the expense of running it hotter? Good idea or not?
    Not sure how much you're looking to spend on a solution but here's something. I just got this for my kid: Amazon.com: ECX Ruckus 4WD Monster Truck: RTR (1:18 Scale): Toys & Games. It's pretty cool, inexpensive, and reasonable performance (especially for in the house). Most importantly for your question though, it's got a speed limiter from the controller. Otherwise you may be able to find a different inexpensive transmitter that's got a throttle end point limiter that works with your current electronics as well. This for example: Futaba 3PRKA 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System w/R203GF Receiver [FUTK3100] | Electronics - AMain Performance Hobbies - AMain Performance Hobbies
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

  74. #74
    jct
    jct is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    935
    i have a traxxas slash with an SCT brushless motor. low miles. tons of tools and extra bodies. needs to go! located in Scruz. let me know if anyone is interested. you'll need new batteries though.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,195
    Santa (and by that I mean, the UPS truck) is bringing my kids a pair of these:
    Everest-10 1/10 Scale Crawler 2.4GHz

    Had some Mini-T's (1/18 scale) for a while, but too slow and fragile. I have a Mini-8ight (1/14 scale) but too fast and hairy (esp with a 3S lipo).

    The slow crawlers should be a damn lot of fun!

    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

  76. #76
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,324
    I bought an HPI blitz flux the other day. It's electric and brushless.

    I can't believe how fast these things are, out of the box.

    My family used to own an RC car car shop - so I have experience with what these cars were like a while back. And I still own a gas powered RC10.

    This box stock truck is faster than anything I've seen before. Just nuts. And durability has gone way up - you can beat on these things and they hold up so much better.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Not sure how much you're looking to spend on a solution but here's something. I just got this for my kid: Amazon.com: ECX Ruckus 4WD Monster Truck: RTR (1:18 Scale): Toys & Games. It's pretty cool, inexpensive, and reasonable performance (especially for in the house). Most importantly for your question though, it's got a speed limiter from the controller. Otherwise you may be able to find a different inexpensive transmitter that's got a throttle end point limiter that works with your current electronics as well. This for example: Futaba 3PRKA 2.4GHz FHSS Radio System w/R203GF Receiver [FUTK3100] | Electronics - AMain Performance Hobbies - AMain Performance Hobbies
    Yeh, I found out there's something call "ATV" on the controller which lets you set the max throttle to a lower setting. I then found out that if I set the ATV to a lower setting, then the full throttle is not detected on startup if I want to reprogram the Reedy ESC. Since it's a new car, I thought it was a defective ESC, but after a little bit of frustration trying to reprogram the ESC, then I turned up the ATV and the ESC detected the full throttle on startup and went to program mode, so the car is working fine Anyhow, after all that, we decided to keep max throttle, so the car can take big jumps in the living room

    Is the Futaba FHSS compatible with iFHSS+? Even Associated's iFHSS isn't compatible with their iFHSS+. I found a really cheap $25 2.4GHz system from FlySky which uses a 1 cell LiPo battery in the transmitter and the receivers are only $6 each. So I bought I bunch of these since I...I mean my kids...now have a bunch of new cars.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    The higher the Kv, the faster the motor/car will run, the more amps it will draw, and lower runtimes. Speed can also be adjusted with gearing as well. The speeds
    quoted come from stock spur, and the stock pinion, so faster or slower speeds are easily attainable with a gearing change.

    http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...a%20Setups.pdf
    Yep, I'll stick with the stock 5000KV motor.

  79. #79
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Thread resurrection!! It's the time of year when I think about RC cars and trains!

    I got a Traxxas TRX4 and HPI Venture. It turns out I'm sponsored by Amainhobbies since they have a bike shop. So I'd be foolish not to buy.

    Crawlers are sooo good now!
    IPA will save America

  80. #80
    jct
    jct is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i have a traxxas slash with an SCT brushless motor. low miles. tons of tools and extra bodies. needs to go! located in Scruz. let me know if anyone is interested. you'll need new batteries though.
    still got this gathering dust in my garage!
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

  81. #81
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    still got this gathering dust in my garage!
    Post some photos and a price man. That is a great starter kit for someone or a present for junior grom.
    IPA will save America

  82. #82
    jct
    jct is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Post some photos and a price man. That is a great starter kit for someone or a present for junior grom.
    good call!
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

  83. #83
    Pinehurst NC
    Reputation: Charlie Don't Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    301
    OT: RC Cars-11041898_1424543214508676_8652172479030642125_o.jpgOT: RC Cars-20160714_182246.jpg we've only got around 40 vehicles left, raced as a sponsored driver until 2008 when I moved on. Good stuff
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

  84. #84
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    we've only got around 40 vehicles left, raced as a sponsored driver until 2008 when I moved on. Good stuff
    I understand your avatar now.

    That vehicle is legend! 40 left???
    IPA will save America

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,827
    Been into RC off and on again for some 37 years now. Was REALLY into trains as a kid but haven't owned any in a long time. 1/8th scale truggies and buggies are my jam now & I have various heli's and planes as well.

    I typically pick back up the interest level this time of year because it's shitty outside & I buy myself a new toy for x-mas. This year it's some new 6 cell lipo's, new wheels and a 100 series heli.

    It's always fun to watch my mtb friends reaction when I run my truggy at camp or the trailhead. It gets everybody's attention to say the least...these things are poweful! I'd also mention the added bonus of mental stimulation. Newer rc's are complex and it takes some brain power to fly a 6 axis heli well. Tinkering on them is engaging and they're are just plain fun.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    741
    Around 40, lol.

    I seem to recall those narrow front tires on the RC-10T were banned, basically for not being in the spirit of truckishness.

  87. #87
    Pinehurst NC
    Reputation: Charlie Don't Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I understand your avatar now.

    That vehicle is legend! 40 left???
    Yeah, after retiring from the sponsored thing, I started collecting all the vintage stuff that I had/raced/wanted/couldn't have. At one point I had around 60 new built, unrun AE/Losi/Yokomo cars. Finally started selling some off the past few years.

    Yes on the narrow Proline front tires, they were ROAR banned after Mar 1992.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

  88. #88
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Yeah, after retiring from the sponsored thing, I started collecting all the vintage stuff that I had/raced/wanted/couldn't have. At one point I had around 60 new built, unrun AE/Losi/Yokomo cars. Finally started selling some off the past few years.

    Yes on the narrow Proline front tires, they were ROAR banned after Mar 1992.
    The owner of XFusion, Ivan in Taiwan told me he had some Tamiya RC's? I asked how many and he said 200+
    IPA will save America

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    571
    I'm surprised RC isn't big in the bay. I used to race 10th scale electric offroad, the classes at the time were stadium truck, buggy and 4wd buggy. A lot of fun, great learning how to really setup suspension, gearing, tires e/t/c.

    The closest place I'm aware of is an indoor track in San Jose

  90. #90
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    I'm surprised RC isn't big in the bay. I used to race 10th scale electric offroad, the classes at the time were stadium truck, buggy and 4wd buggy. A lot of fun, great learning how to really setup suspension, gearing, tires e/t/c.

    The closest place I'm aware of is an indoor track in San Jose
    There's no tracks really. Just found the one in East San Jose. It's Norcal Hobbies, which moved from Union City. Southern CA, there's so many. And that's what really gets folks in to it.

    Good news though is these crawlers are a lot more flexible in terms of terrain and play opportunities. Just find some rocks and walk along.
    IPA will save America

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    571
    Yeah that's it NorCal hobbies, their indoor offroad effort looks decent and they run a regular series which is cool. I'll go check it out but getting down there regularly to race isn't happening.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    741
    Probably a victim of your legendary Bay Area real estate prices

  93. #93
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    Yeah that's it NorCal hobbies, their indoor offroad effort looks decent and they run a regular series which is cool. I'll go check it out but getting down there regularly to race isn't happening.
    Union City had that massive dirt track. Two of them!
    IPA will save America

  94. #94
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Probably a victim of your legendary Bay Area real estate prices
    Something else in play. 20’years ago, same no go. And so many empty lots everywhere
    IPA will save America

  95. #95
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,420
    Real estate costs plus kids playing video games

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  96. #96
    Pinehurst NC
    Reputation: Charlie Don't Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    301
    RE prices out there, skyrocketing racing costs, and electronics. RC was super strong up to 1997 ish, and video games were getting decent.... and it started to dwindle. To bad, it blends lots of things together, teaches mechanical abilities, strengthens reflex times, social bonding etc, etc....
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

  97. #97
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Real estate costs plus kids playing video games

    Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    I know man... kids are not in to it. They need better industry outreach and marketing for new addicts.

    Two things that have turbo boosted the sport... short course trucks and now crawlers.

    Maybe drones too but can’t fly those anywhere.
    IPA will save America

  98. #98
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    RE prices out there, skyrocketing racing costs, and electronics. RC was super strong up to 1997 ish, and video games were getting decent.... and it started to dwindle. To bad, it blends lots of things together, teaches mechanical abilities, strengthens reflex times, social bonding etc, etc....
    For sure man. Short Course trucks provided a boost to the scene since one could race for $400 in stock class.

    The demographic for racers though.... not awesome. They’re not like mountain bikers.

    With the fall of local hobby shops, local tracks will be harder to come by. They’re usually the ones who run these.
    IPA will save America

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,218
    my roommate was into it bigtime. enough he blasted his credit score into the dirt..i dont think he ever recovered.

    his was a Mugen or something. i never got into it. my eyes would fuzz over, and my ears go dim..when he talked about it. it was like listening to quantum physics discussed in pig latin to me. he would drag me to his outings.. he would get stoned and drive that thing around this little area on the Presidio. mind numbing for me.

    (same for gaming, which he got into big time as well). i just didnt like the sedentary feeling i got from messing with the things.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  100. #100
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    my roommate was into it bigtime. enough he blasted his credit score into the dirt..i dont think he ever recovered.

    his was a Mugen or something. i never got into it. my eyes would fuzz over, and my ears go dim..when he talked about it. it was like listening to quantum physics discussed in pig latin to me. he would drag me to his outings.. he would get stoned and drive that thing around this little area on the Presidio. mind numbing for me.

    (same for gaming, which he got into big time as well). i just didnt like the sedentary feeling i got from messing with the things.
    That is a funny story. I don't think he set a very good example for the hobby.

    Mark Weir is one of the ultimate ambassadors for RC. Photos are below and his army was so stoked as they had races every week at his house.

    That being said, the hardcore RC racer is typically unhealthy and not stoked about life. Bad example for my son as we were at the track a lot when he was tiny. Could change hopefully. These crawler dudes go on a jamboree in Tahoe and hike 3-5 miles with their lil rc crawlers. Strange but kind of fun and way healthier than the normal racing scene where you sit around for the whole day.
    IPA will save America

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cars you wish they'd bring to the U.S.
    By 007 in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-05-2014, 07:29 PM
  2. How to Not Get Hit by Cars
    By Solomon76 in forum Commuting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM
  3. What cars did you dream up when you were a little kid?
    By Furball the Mystery Cat in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
  4. Passing Cars
    By mtbxplorer in forum Commuting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-18-2012, 07:42 PM
  5. Ok, car buffs, ID these 2 cars
    By Finch Platte in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Members who have read this thread: 75

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.