Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: RC Cars

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    That is a funny story. I don't think he set a very good example for the hobby.

Mark Weir is one of the ultimate ambassadors for RC. Photos are below and his army was so stoked as they had races every week at his house.

That being said, the hardcore RC racer is typically unhealthy and not stoked about life. Bad example for my son as we were at the track a lot when he was tiny. Could change hopefully. These crawler dudes go on a jamboree in Tahoe and hike 3-5 miles with their lil rc crawlers. Strange but kind of fun and way healthier than the normal racing scene where you sit around for the whole day.
    I spent a few years of my youth RC racing and we had a blast. We were a bunch of teenagers hanging out and racing. Seems the scene is now a bunch of OG. Too bad, it was a blast.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Probably a victim of your legendary Bay Area real estate prices
    There are a lot of unused lots in the more industrial areas. Setting up a track is pretty quick, having a mobile hobby shop would be the best way to help racers.

When we had a stacked crowd there were always others willing to lend/sell spares and the shops were generally cool with it since they couldn't hang onto much inventory.

mtbr member
    I used to really be into RC back in the late '80's/early 90's, but college, career, family and other interests have taken over. I had a decent little collection of Tamiyas....13 at one point.....but over the years, I sold all but my current project....the Hilux Monster Racer.

Other than the tub and some suspension/steering components, its all pretty much custom...including a Traxxas 2WD trans out back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-img_3989.jpg  

Last edited by ubermustang; 12-16-2017 at 11:21 AM.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This is a trip. I got a package yesterday from Fox and it's a Team Associated replica of their short course truck. They said I should come over to the Scotts Valley headquarters as they've made some tweaks to the museum.

OT: RC Cars-pc150008.jpg

OT: RC Cars-screen-shot-2017-12-16-9.08.00-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I was into it big time. First was the E-Maxx, I got for my dog to chase. I lived in an apartment so I need to find ways to tire her out. Haha. Then it prompted a major obsession into nitro. Nitro is so cool, mini two stroke engine that are so fast. Bought a few different nitro cars, 1/8 buggies, 1/10 stadium trucks, 1/8 truggies and started racing. Racing brings the hobby to a new level and much more fun than cruising your rc around a open field. However, I stopped with the hobby when they started to close down outdoor tracks because of complaints of nitro. Now it seems like electric is pretty good with lithium and brushless but still outdoor tracks are still few and far between. It is a pricey hobby. You break so many parts all the time. Haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    A few years back I got into the racing scene (1/8 nitro buggy and truggy) and it was a lot of fun...good bit of money (cars a grand, engines 300-500, tires 50 a set, etc). I enjoyed it but the nearest tracks were 90 minutes away...so a race day was literally a 12-14 hour day commuting to and from and racing...if there was a track local, I would of likely stayed in it and got the kids into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29"

fc
    stoked Administrator
    father-son session today. Nobody got hurt.

OT: RC Cars-img_2659-collage.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I was into it as a kid. Me, my brother and my cousins made our parents drive us all over the bay to tracks and races. We used to go from the peninsula to Livermore on Friday afternoons to get there in time for the 7:00 races. cannot believe my dad was up for that, get home from work and then go sit in other peopleís commute traffic for an hour and a half. There was another track in Milpitas that we used to race at. I had 1/10 scale RC10Ts, one electric and then later one gas. The gas ones were a riot but I lost interest when there was nowhere left to race or even any tracks I could drive it. If there was a local track in the north bay I could see myself getting back into it.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    I was into it big time. First was the E-Maxx, I got for my dog to chase. I lived in an apartment so I need to find ways to tire her out. Haha. Then it prompted a major obsession into nitro. Nitro is so cool, mini two stroke engine that are so fast. Bought a few different nitro cars, 1/8 buggies, 1/10 stadium trucks, 1/8 truggies and started racing. Racing brings the hobby to a new level and much more fun than cruising your rc around a open field. However, I stopped with the hobby when they started to close down outdoor tracks because of complaints of nitro. Now it seems like electric is pretty good with lithium and brushless but still outdoor tracks are still few and far between. It is a pricey hobby. You break so many parts all the time. Haha.
    Right on man. That's how I got started too. Nitro headaches!!!!

I agree about the tracks. Really need them to keep the fun going with fast buggies.

The new crawlers and short course trucks are not that expensive. And they don't break much. Electric rules the roost now. Almost unlimited torque and power and now run time.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    A few years back I got into the racing scene (1/8 nitro buggy and truggy) and it was a lot of fun...good bit of money (cars a grand, engines 300-500, tires 50 a set, etc). I enjoyed it but the nearest tracks were 90 minutes away...so a race day was literally a 12-14 hour day commuting to and from and racing...if there was a track local, I would of likely stayed in it and got the kids into it.

That's the expensive route for sure. I was in that scene and I was in to it for $5k. Then the 10+ hour days crushed me with me two toddlers at home waiting.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Father - son bonding session. I think we have 4 vehicles signed up on the next jamboree this week.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    There are a lot of unused lots in the more industrial areas. Setting up a track is pretty quick, having a mobile hobby shop would be the best way to help racers.

When we had a stacked crowd there were always others willing to lend/sell spares and the shops were generally cool with it since they couldn't hang onto much inventory.
    Tracks sit idle a lot of the time and are ripe for vandalism or just careless abuse. It always looked pretty thankless to me to run one. The parts concession is what keeps it going.

There's another likely factor and that's climate. Down south and in the central valley they make tracks out of coliche and they run near-slick tires. They clean the tracks with a leaf blower, and the tires deposit a "groove" on the best racing line just like a real racetrack. In the bay you have wetter conditions. A soft track is fun as hell, rooster tails and easy controllable drifting, but it gets chewed to bits very quickly and requires serious touch-ups before every race day.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Tracks sit idle a lot of the time and are ripe for vandalism or just careless abuse. It always looked pretty thankless to me to run one. The parts concession is what keeps it going.

There's another likely factor and that's climate. Down south and in the central valley they make tracks out of coliche and they run near-slick tires. They clean the tracks with a leaf blower, and the tires deposit a "groove" on the best racing line just like a real racetrack. In the bay you have wetter conditions. A soft track is fun as hell, rooster tails and easy controllable drifting, but it gets chewed to bits very quickly and requires serious touch-ups before every race day.
    Yup. It's a full-time job to run and maintain a track basically. Or a big group effort. It's like a trail but need TLC every week.

The tracks that I know of are in Antioch, Brentwood (covered), San Jose(indoor). And Mark Wier's house.
    brentwood
    OT: RC Cars-23916550_300309770463515_3039801943829806541_o.jpg

antioch
    OT: RC Cars-maxresdefault.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a duratrax evader that hasn't been used very much if anyone is interested...Truck, 2 body's, 3 batteries, charger, some spare parts. Hit me up. Ready to run, does about 20 mph.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5JPWP2/

mtbr member
    Been slowly building this Land Cruiser. Havenít driven it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post

That is next level patina man. Very cool.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    When I was a teenager in PHX, the track where I raced was a dirt oval with an offroad track in the middle that used some 1/3 of the oval as a sweeper and back straight, and the same s/f line. It worked pretty well.

Dirt oval cars were really weird. A cross between pan car and buggy with a big wedge body.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    +1 here RC, MTB, photography

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
    Same three plus a couple others for me!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Lets' see the merger of those afflictions with some cool photos.

Those 3 are in for me. Plus:
    - beer
    - cars
    - audio
    - gaming

Most got replaced for now with parenting and home improvement.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm thinking about picking up a Traxxas TRX4 for Christmas for me and my boys. It's on Amazon for 449, but the Traxxas batteries won't arrive before Christmas. Is there a better place to buy all this gear? Any recommendations for exact charger and battery for this vehicle for beginners? LiPo sounds scary with all the warnings, but with the proper charger seems fine???....or better to go NiMH?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnessgeek View Post
    I'm thinking about picking up a Traxxas TRX4 for Christmas for me and my boys. It's on Amazon for 449, but the Traxxas batteries won't arrive before Christmas. Is there a better place to buy all this gear? Any recommendations for exact charger and battery for this vehicle for beginners? LiPo sounds scary with all the warnings, but with the proper charger seems fine???....or better to go NiMH?
    You can most likely get all that or similar from your local hobby shop for the same or a better price. Not much of a Traxxis fan though the X-maxx looks pretty cool. NiMH is easily if not more fire prone than lipo, the difference being lipo has a lot more energy in simular volume. Definitely take the time to understand how to charge/discharge/store your batteries. All my batteries are stored in my fireplace inside stoneware bowls. With that said go for it, your kids will be stoked.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Last edited by fc; 12-20-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I just spent the week with Mark Weir. Now, I'm RC crazy. . The only interruptions were some bike ridin.

Who is in to it?

First large purchase I ever made with my paper route money was this sweet RC10 with 'graphite' (carbon fiber) chassis and a limited slip rear diff. Used to race it as a kid at the local rc track. Fell out of it when I got heavily into other things. It's still kicking around the garage if my kids get interested.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Paper or plastic?
    So what do you think of the SC28? Worth spending $100 for 2 to race around the living room?

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    So what do you think of the SC28? Worth spending $100 for 2 to race around the living room?

Yes. Although it does not work well on hardwood since it's slippy and the it won't drive straight. Impromptu track is key.

Transmitter charges the car and it lasts a long time! Good speed. Good steering. Not really much suspension, just flex on the front arms.
    IPA will save America

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Get your Passion on.

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Tower hobbies most likely ship from Reno Warehouse, ad i will look into HPI Venture, Traxxas is such a PITA to repair and too complicated

Paper or plastic?
    Yes. Although it does not work well on hardwood since it's slippy and the it won't drive straight. Impromptu track is key.

Transmitter charges the car and it lasts a long time! Good speed. Good steering. Not really much suspension, just flex on the front arms.
    8x5 carpet then. Thanks. Need to call Sheldon

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    8x5 carpet then. Thanks. Need to call Sheldon

Sheldon is gone...

Paper or plastic?
    Sheldon is gone...
    Really? No more rc shop in San Jose?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Really? No more rc shop in San Jose?

Nor-Cal Hobbies
    Address: 2099 S 10th St, San Jose, CA 95112

Phone: (408) 293-5555

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Tower hobbies most likely ship from Reno Warehouse, ad i will look into HPI Venture, Traxxas is such a PITA to repair and too complicated
    I have both and the Traxxas TRX-4 is a much better truck. So robust too.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Best place is amainhobbies.com. They have everything and their service, inventory and shipping is best.

For battery, Lipo for sure. This is the easy choice.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra2992/p581147

It will run the TRX4 for hours with a single charge!!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Kids went with us this time. I'm sure it won't be the last as we hiked about 4 miles til sunset. So many option lines!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sheldon is gone...
    Seriously? Last time I was there was 3 weeks ago doing some early Christmas shopping. Man, that sucks..... I only live a couple of miles away from them, too. Oh well.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ubermustang View Post
    Seriously? Last time I was there was 3 weeks ago doing some early Christmas shopping. Man, that sucks..... I only live a couple of miles away from them, too. Oh well.
    Still open I hear in varied states of disarray. Man that place was iconic. My first visit was 35 years ago
    IPA will save America

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Kids went with us this time. I'm sure it won't be the last as we hiked about 4 miles til sunset. So many option lines!
    Very cool, a great outing with the kids. It's amazing how real they look.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    brought out the old school, always iconic.
    OT: RC Cars-toy-toyota.jpg

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Anybody got a crawler for christmas???

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout/OT: RC Cars-bigsquidrc-1.9-rtr-scale-crawler-shootout_00001.jpg

I know all the cool South Bay spots now.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Ok, we have 5 dads now with vehicles. Most of us have two. We say it's for the kids but we go out without them often.
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post

You have to post that to ih8mud and email it over to Marlin @ Marlin Crawler.

mtbr member
    Playing around with my somewhat older crawler is still fun, add more stoked crawlers to the mix, even better. Not playing but, manly crawling with my scaled rig.
    I gotta say that these new crawlers came along way from a few years ago. I just wish the hobby stores stuck around.
    I currently have the first gen Axial Honcho, highly modded too. Before that crawling was taking the old Tamiya parts and making them look real, wasnít too durable either. Glue and homemade Tap Plastics parts only handled so much. Now though. Geez wiz, if your planning on getting into RCíing again. Hereís the time. More durable rigs, lot more options and companies like RC4WD is around now with their scaled CNCíd parts.
    The one thing that hasnít changed though, is the wallet suffers. BUT, worth it now.
    Been taking the kid out, and heís super stoked on getting out. Yeah, crawls a some and then wonders and throws rocks but, he outside with me having a a blast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I still have my eye on the Traxxas TRX4 and may have found a reason to buy. I need to investigate some construction in our crawl space under the house, but it's pretty tight for me. Any ideas of the best camera set-up that I could mount to the TRX4, then drop it in the crawl space while driving around and looking at the real-time view on the computer? The bad thing would be flipping the truck in the far corner of the house...hah.

mtbr member
    I still have my eye on the Traxxas TRX4 and may have found a reason to buy. I need to investigate some construction in our crawl space under the house, but it's pretty tight for me. Any ideas of the best camera set-up that I could mount to the TRX4, then drop it in the crawl space while driving around and looking at the real-time view on the computer? The bad thing would be flipping the truck in the far corner of the house...hah.
    Many action cameras today stream to android/iphone, so you can get two birds in one shot Alternatively there are small POV cameras for mini drones that also stream to phones and are much cheaper. They need an extra battery and the image quality is nowhere near action cams, especially in low light which you will have under the structure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Many action cameras today stream to android/iphone, so you can get two birds in one shot Alternatively there are small POV cameras for mini drones that also stream to phones and are much cheaper. They need an extra battery and the image quality is nowhere near action cams, especially in low light which you will have under the structure.
    Thanks! I will research action cameras and potentially an external light source.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    I'm starting to figure this crawler schit out. Local park called Linda Vista.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anybody got a crawler for christmas???

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/1-9-scale-crawler-shootout/Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BigSquidRC-1.9-RTR-Scale-Crawler-Shootout_00001.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	1176478

I know all the cool South Bay spots now.
    How is that Axil Cherokee working out? Im looking at it now to upgrade from my MaDRock crawler .

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecRider96 View Post
    How is that Axil Cherokee working out? Im looking at it now to upgrade from my MaDRock crawler .
    Very well. We have an 8-year old beating on it and it's all good. His dad is building the same kit from a kit. Crazy.

What is the Madrock? how much?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The crawlers I got my kids have gotten very little use; high-speed bashing (and sitting hunched over a phone) is more their speed.

Going to pick up one or two of these after busy season at work slows down:
    Monster RC Trucks
    $210 on ebay...
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Very well. We have an 8-year old beating on it and it's all good. His dad is building the same kit from a kit. Crazy.

What is the Madrock? how much?
    Good to know, that will be my birthday present as I have a real Cherokee! I have the Exceed MaxStone, sorry I called it the MaDRock,its an entry level RTR I got on Amazon for $150, I run it in my from yard on my mini crawler course.I also have an SC10 that I run on my pump track and in the hills near my house, these things are so much fun!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    The crawlers I got my kids have gotten very little use; high-speed bashing (and sitting hunched over a phone) is more their speed.

Going to pick up one or two of these after busy season at work slows down:
    Monster RC Trucks
    $210 on ebay...
    Right on. I bought a Redcat crawler called the Gen7. It's like the Magicshine of rc cars. Half the price but pretty rough. Good if one can mod it a bit.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Love this thread! Hereís my contribution in the form of my Axial Racing Yeti Jr Rock Racer that my wife bought me for Christmas.

Iím really enjoying another hobby that harks back to my childhood and itís got me thinking about buying a 1/10th Rock Crawler at some point soon.

Fix foot pain, gain skills you forgot you had and have more fun whilst doing it!

http://www.mcssl.com/app/?af=1681397

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I Used to race with my dad in Livermore in the early '90s. Was that one called Hobby Haven? Had a beat-to-hell rc10-t cobbled together with whatever hand me down stuff I could scrounge. I was never worth a crap at it and by the time I started winning in novice once in a while they shut down. Still remember the smell though... Damp dirt and simple green in the tire wash buckets, lol. I tried again in Milpitas very briefly, and recently again in Union City before they moved, but never really got back into it. Currently have a Schumacher SVR with a nice 17.5 setup collecting dust, and a massively modified 2wd Slash that gets bashed around on occasion.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Love this thread! Hereís my contribution in the form of my Axial Racing Yeti Jr Rock Racer that my wife bought me for Christmas.

Iím really enjoying another hobby that harks back to my childhood and itís got me thinking about buying a 1/10th Rock Crawler at some point soon.

how is that vehicle?? Axial is legit!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    how is that vehicle?? Axial is legit!
    Hey fc! Itís really cool, very fast and nimble. Also fun on rock and mud crawls. Lots of fun. Reminds me of my Tamiya buggy that I had when I was a kid, that met its demise under a car at the end of my parents driveway! Iím being a little more careful with this one!

Iíll try and post a video of the Yeti Jr at some point.

Fix foot pain, gain skills you forgot you had and have more fun whilst doing it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    OK always looking for a fun new addiction. What would be a good "starter" complete package? Wouldn't want to spend more than $300-$400 or so for everything needed to get it up and running. Also, wouldn't want to have to assemble a crazy kit either, think more plug and play types.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi Roughster - depends on what you're looking to get into... but Redcat has pretty solid builds at nigh-unbeatable prices.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
    Hi Roughster - depends on what you're looking to get into... but Redcat has pretty solid builds at nigh-unbeatable prices.
    I'll check them out. I would be looking for something general purpose, not for racing or crawling, more just to get my son and I out in some local dirt lots.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    OK always looking for a fun new addiction. What would be a good "starter" complete package? Wouldn't want to spend more than $300-$400 or so for everything needed to get it up and running. Also, wouldn't want to have to assemble a crazy kit either, think more plug and play types.

Suggestions?
    What kind of vehicle? RC Crawler? Basher/stunt/bruiser? Short Course truck for fast laps?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    What kind of vehicle? RC Crawler? Basher/stunt/bruiser? Short Course truck for fast laps?
    Haha Greek ... I would guess some sort of buggy for just throwing roosters and hitting jumps to start.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I was trollingly going to suggest an over priced 1/8th scale nitro buggy some of which are near a grand for a rolling chassis...but then this came up

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-8i...s04010/p543246

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    I was trollingly going to suggest an over priced 1/8th scale nitro buggy some of which are near a grand for a rolling chassis...but then this came up

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-8i...s04010/p543246
    That's a good deal on a good kit. But it's nitro and flying machine that needs a track or a big space. Tough to enjoy.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post

Suggestions?
    Arrma Kraton. Best basher out there currently. $500 RTR fully assembled. Just ad two 3s lipos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I raced a 1/8 Lois buggy, 1/8 kyosho truggy And and X-ray truggy for a few years. Tons of fun. If there was a track local to me (vs driving 90 minutes one way), I would likely still do it

2017 Trek Fuel EX 8 29"

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    I raced a 1/8 Lois buggy, 1/8 kyosho truggy And and X-ray truggy for a few years. Tons of fun. If there was a track local to me (vs driving 90 minutes one way), I would likely still do it

Same here. My local track was 60 and 90 minutes away in shady areas. With small kids, I had to give it up.

This new trail crawling category though is cool. I can just follow the rc and find rock on the trails that I know. Kids love it too. We don't realize we hike 3-5 miles every time.
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Surf View Post
    Arrma Kraton. Best basher out there currently. $500 RTR fully assembled. Just ad two 3s lipos.

Never heard of Arrma before but they seem to be the new shining star. What's the deal with them.

Traxxas used to be the beginner/noob play before but they seem to have the best vehicles and tech now in some categories. The TRX-4 crawler is simply amazing. I head they have a lot of money now since they make all the rc car bombs for the military. You know, the ones you use in Call of Duty.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    If they're still making the Stampede in a few years, and I don't see why they wouldn't be... and if my kids are interested, that's where they will start. I'd even give them a resistor 3-speed and a Mabuchi motor!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    If they're still making the Stampede in a few years, and I don't see why they wouldn't be... and if my kids are interested, that's where they will start. I'd even give them a resistor 3-speed and a Mabuchi motor!
    #mabuchi. Damn, haven't heard that word since my Tamiya Frog.
    IPA will save America

Ariolimax columbianus

I have one...hella too fast. yard's big enough to open it up (barely) but still got some work to do around here to make it even more fun. it'll launch hella far doe n land! I like my axial wraith too, seems to crawl fairly well.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Over the xmas holiday, I made a video comparing the popular Trail Crawlers out there today. It's got a ton of views and the head of Traxxas development reached out to me. I got the hookup now!

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    An FC Cruiser?

mtbr member
    Never heard of Arrma before but they seem to be the new shining star. What's the deal with them.
    Arrma is the basically an evolved Team Durango. They seem to really listen to criticism and improve upon their designs. This is the 3rd version of the Kraton and they've made some great changes based on consumer input. Downside right now is they're owned by Hobbico. Hobbico just filed for Bankruptcy protection. They were sued by Traxxas for using a cantilever design on one of their RC's. Hobbico owns Arrma and Axial.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Arrma is the basically an evolved Team Durango. They seem to really listen to criticism and improve upon their designs. This is the 3rd version of the Kraton and they've made some great changes based on consumer input. Downside right now is they're owned by Hobbico. Hobbico just filed for Bankruptcy protection. They were sued by Traxxas for using a cantilever design on one of their RC's. Hobbico owns Arrma and Axial.
    dang bro. amazing knowledge!!!!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    All of Hobbico filed for bankruptcy for a lawsuit over a suspension arm in one product? Kyosho, Duratrax, Great Planes, Tower Hobbies, Futaba, OS, etc etc?

I guess Hobbico itself is just the distributor and those are all separate companies. And it's Ch. 11 not 7
    Hobbico seeking a buyer as it works through bankruptcy | News-Gazette.com

fc
    stoked Administrator
    All of Hobbico filed for bankruptcy for a lawsuit over a suspension arm in one product? Kyosho, Duratrax, Great Planes, Tower Hobbies, Futaba, OS, etc etc?

I guess Hobbico itself is just the distributor and those are all separate companies. And it's Ch. 11 not 7
    Hobbico seeking a buyer as it works through bankruptcy | News-Gazette.com
    Yeah, this is significant news indeed. They owe well over $100 million and they have less than $10-$50 million in assets.

Stay clear of all Hobbico brands for now. Except maybe Axial since they are so strong.

I used to buy everything from Tower Hobbies. Now everything from Amainhobbies.com

How the Hobbico Bankruptcy Effects our RC Hobby - The RCNetwork
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I would have no problem buying an Arrma, Axial or Futaba right now. In fact I've just bought an Axial SMT10 from Tower. Those brands will be sold off and will continue.

mtbr member
    Interesting development. It's not a secret that the RC world took some hits in the last few years, like local RC hobby shops that are becoming history. I will not be surprised if one of Hobbico's brands is snatched by one of the chinese hobby giants. Some of them nailed many RC products, but were not able to pull together a really good car.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Awww, siblings.

OT: RC Cars-img_4079.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Running a hobby shop by yourself has to be pretty thankless, it's always looked that way to me anyhow. I don't know if places like Hobbytown USA are a franchise or one big company but either way they have a lot of support that an individual with a few distrubutor catalogs does not. And all that inventory of $4 bags of plastic bits for the car that was popular two years ago... and tweens who want to hang out at your place but buy nothing...

ask
    user
    Got the RC bug too... Fun to do w/ the kids and/or during the postride beverage session.

We had an Axial SCX10, but recently added a Traxxas TRX4 and a RedCat Racing Everest Gen7. Having enough crawlers to keep all the boys driving and/or to still driving while fixing broken cars is key.

I'd like to get into the faster track racers, but I don't really have a place to drive. Crawling is slow, fun, and can be pretty challenging.

OT: RC Cars-img_4266.jpg

OT: RC Cars-taking-break-hiking-rc-crawler-traxxas-axialscx10-mtbr.jpg
    "...That said, we exhausted the comedy material in this thread, so we're done here." -KMax

mtbr member
    Even further OT. Years ago when the FJ Cruiser came out, I wanted one... in blue. But later that year I sat in one at an auto show and the interior was very dim and the sight lines were very poor. At the same show I sat in both a Liberty and an XTerra and they were utterly conventional and seemed much more friendly. Style over substance...

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Merging the bike ride and RC at Mission Peak in Fremont, CA. Folks kept interrupting me chit-chatting and chit.
    IPA will save America

VRC Illuminati
    Merging the bike ride and RC at Mission Peak in Fremont, CA. Folks kept interrupting me chit-chatting and chit.
    You been hangin' out with Hayley?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My three favorites also

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tekin112000 View Post
    My three favorites also
    Love it. Here's some good captures. It's slower than biking so I can take more photos/angles. I'm biking to most spots now.... backpack.

OT: RC Cars-img_3518.jpg

OT: RC Cars-img_4087.jpg

OT: RC Cars-img_4116.jpg

OT: RC Cars-img_4168.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OT: RC Cars-img_4200.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I saw some people out with a crawler in my local park this weekend, and it looked like a ton of fun! But now I'm worried about running over someone's nice investment on a downhill. I guess I need to keep my ears peeled for that whine

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fc;13541241]Love it. Here's some good captures. It's slower than biking so I can take more photos/angles. I'm biking to most spots now.... backpack.

Are you riding up there with the crawler in a backpack? Seems like a viable reason for an e-bike. We got a TRX4 for my BIL for xmas and I kind of want one too now.

BTW, watch out for rocks that move .OT: RC Cars-img_0638.jpgOT: RC Cars-img_0637.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fc
    stoked Administrator
    [QUOTE=c-wal;13541544]

Are you riding up there with the crawler in a backpack? Seems like a viable reason for an e-bike. We got a TRX4 for my BIL for xmas and I kind of want one too now.

BTW, watch out for rocks that move .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	232.7 KB 
ID:	1182921

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, i'm riding with a backpack. Ebikes, yeah those work well for the 3 mile 2500 climb with big pack.

Where do you live??

I know I'm in danger with snakes. The rocks I go to are so rugged and grass strewn. When the weather warms up, bad news.

Where/when was your photo taken?
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    If anyone is thinking of trying the crawler thing, this is the one right here. It's the Traxxas TRX4 but with a new shorter wheelbase and Bronco body.

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/bronco/

The original one with the Land Rover Defender body is good but really top heavy and with bad approach angles. This one improves all that. Comes out in two weeks. $450 at Amainhobbies.com
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    speaking of upcoming models, what do you RC heads think of the new Traxxas unlimited desert racer?

https://traxxas.com/products/landing...-desert-racer/

If I got this for me and drove it with dual 3S lipo batteries, then anything I can do to slow it down for my kids other than a single 4S lipo? Can it be detuned quickly with electronics?

The new Bronco TRX4 is likely the right speed, but this desert racer speaks to me more

fc
    stoked Administrator
    speaking of upcoming models, what do you RC heads think of the new Traxxas unlimited desert racer?

If I got this for me and drove it with dual 3S lipo batteries, then anything I can do to slow it down for my kids other than a single 4S lipo? Can it be detuned quickly with electronics?

The new Bronco TRX4 is likely the right speed, but this desert racer speaks to me more
    That Desert Racer is legit. The XMAXX too. Traxxas is on a roll with millions of $$ in R&D these days.

Those things though require a lot of dirt and land to really enjoy. And really, you need a track for it to be fun after the initial high. That's just very difficult to attain around here.

These are 15 lb missiles that go 50mph so they are very dangerous for small kids and big kids. No amount of detuning really helps. They're heavy to lift and have a big turning radius.

That's the appeal of crawlers. Use it in the yard, in the house, trail, curb. The new TRX4 is good at .1 mph or 12 mph.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    If anyone is thinking of trying the crawler thing, this is the one right here. It's the Traxxas TRX4 but with a new shorter wheelbase and Bronco body.

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/bronco/

The original one with the Land Rover Defender body is good but really top heavy and with bad approach angles. This one improves all that. Comes out in two weeks. $450 at Amainhobbies.com
    Thatís really cool to know thank you, I was about to buy the Defender and had seen that it was too heavy so Iíll wait for this. Thank you.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Thatís really cool to know thank you, I was about to buy the Defender and had seen that it was too heavy so Iíll wait for this. Thank you.

Right on man. This one has a shorter wheelbase too (adjustable) and is instantly compatible with all the Axial bodies out there.

Traxxas has amazing upgrade options coming out for this Bronco edition. Long shocks, big tires.

On my TRX4, I installed a 73 Bronco body and it now performs awesome!!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Right on man. This one has a shorter wheelbase too (adjustable) and is instantly compatible with all the Axial bodies out there.

Traxxas has amazing upgrade options coming out for this Bronco edition. Long shocks, big tires.

On my TRX4, I installed a 73 Bronco body and it now performs awesome!!!
    Looking forward to seeing some more videos of it when you get the chance, Iíve really been enjoying them! Bikes and RC cars, yeah!! Itís like being a 40 year old 10 year old and I love it!!

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Looking forward to seeing some more videos of it when you get the chance, Iíve really been enjoying them! Bikes and RC cars, yeah!! Itís like being a 40 year old 10 year old and I love it!!

Here's the Bronco body TRX4 in Fremont, CA
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

That's more to my liking too. It would have been great to own in Ridgecrest, not here. But I'm LOL at the fake disc brakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on the bronco TRX4 as it seems fun and the proper speed for me and my 6 and 9 year old boys. I was thinking it would be good to get 2 batteries and was going to go with these items:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...ah-111v-3S-25C

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...mah-74v-2S-25C

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...mah-74v-2S-25C

Would it be better to simply get 2 of the 2S batteries for our needs or is it fun to get the 3S too?

mtbr member

Here's the Bronco body TRX4 in Fremont, CA
    Looks like a lot of fun, thank you for sharing!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hey fc not sure if you're aware of rccrawler.com what a great sight for Scale rigs, some pretty awesome builds. I used to be into Scale Crawling Competitions a few years ago and it was very easy to plunk 900.00-1400.00 into a rig.

If you want to drool over scale wheels/parts head over to Vanquish Products web site and check out the replica Method wheels and such. RPP Hobby is also a great site for scale parts. That hobby can be addicting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast