Thread: OT: neti pot

fc
    head minion Administrator

OT: neti pot

Anyone do it? I am tempted again to do the flush.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Be sure to make a video! GoPro POV.

Actually, CO2 inflator might work better! LOL!

Formerly of Kent
    My wife uses one every day. I use it once or twice a week.

Always use boiled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Always use boiled water.
    Cooled down, I hope.
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

fc

Always use boiled water.

What about filtered/bottled water? This is when I stopped using mine, when folks in the South East got brain-eating bacteria from their tap water.
    IPA will save America

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Cooled down, I hope.
    Yeah. I prepare it when making my coffee, come back after shower/shave/getting dressed. The humid air from the shower helps loosen things up, and the neti pot finishes it off. I have relatively sensitive lungs from living near-ish a burn pit in AFG, and post-nasal drip really bothers me when the pine trees are producing a lot of pollen.

We use the NeilMed brand, FWIW.

Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent

OT: netipot

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    What about filtered/bottled water? This is when I stopped using mine, when folks in the South East got brain-eating bacteria from their tap water.
    Id go the extra step with boiling. Takes a minute or two, then put it in an ice water bath if you need it right away.

Maybe 10min total time, if that, from start to finish.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Id go the extra step with boiling. Takes a minute or two, then put it in an ice water bath if you need it right away.

Maybe 10min total time, if that, from start to finish.
    Tell me more: How often do you do it, before or after training rides (generally), do you do both nostrils, ever worry about burning your nose or whatever the hell is up there, ever use a very mild salt solution, etc.?

I have been very interested since I am very mucous-y and normally after every medium-hard training ride I hack up a huge clot of phlegm.

My wife swears by them but it has always seemed like some real hippy trippy stuff to me. I do seem to be getting hippier with age though.

always licking the glass

Always use boiled water.

Or distilled. Never ever use tap water.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Tell me more: How often do you do it, before or after training rides (generally), do you do both nostrils, ever worry about burning your nose or whatever the hell is up there, ever use a very mild salt solution, etc.?

I have been very interested since I am very mucous-y and normally after every medium-hard training ride I hack up a huge clot of phlegm.

My wife swears by them but it has always seemed like some real hippy trippy stuff to me. I do seem to be getting hippier with age though.
    We use the little salt packets. My wife buys a new kit (bottles + salt) for us at Costco every three months.

Id do it more often but I just forget a lot of the time, or dont pour water into the little bottle when making my coffee. And then run out of time. My wife does it every day. We keep the bottles and salt packets next to the AeroPress and electric kettle.

Death from Below.

Contains no juice.
    You've heard about the plastic particles found in most bottled waters, right? But if you wanna sniff up a couple of Legos in your water, that's your prerogative.

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit snorting bottled water." Steve McCroskey
    OT: neti pot-airplane_rolex1.jpg
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

fc

quick youtube search and this seems good. Lots of funny ones in youtubes too.

It worked for me when I did it a few years ago. Especially after a big ride in very grassy areas during peak season, or very windy days.

It works like Claritin of flounase for me but without the cost or side effects of prescription allergy meds.

A couple downsides is it does nothing for itchy eyes. Also, once in while when I tilt my head in strange angles, my nose would drip out some of that trapped water.
    IPA will save America

Spin-stabilized
    Ah, the nuclear option. I would've killed for one at around 3 AM the other night. However, I think the pollen storm is over for me though (knock on wood). Just in time because Zyrtec was starting to make me drowsy after taking it for 2 weeks straight.

We had 24 hours of 30+ mph winds and I just went straight into it, breathing 3x greater than baseline rate on my bike commute and was pleasantly surprised that my throat wasn't in flames when I got to work.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Formerly of Kent
    If you truly want to burn everything down, my wife uses a 1:3 Alkalol/water rinse sometimes.

Apparently Alkalol is a mix of essential oils (eucalyptus, etc). Im a pansy and 1:5 was way too much the one time I used it.

Only time Ive ever been that clear was after going through the CS gas chamber.

Death from Below.

Mtn View, CA
    I use the neilmed rinse bottle. It's like a pressurized neti pot depending on how hard you squeeze. I got a sinus infection once. It sucked. So I keep it cleaned out when I have a head cold. Sometimes it makes a runny nose worse because stuff just wants to keep coming out.

OT: neti pot-sinus-rinse-kit-pt01.png
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    I use the neilmed rinse bottle. It's like a pressurized neti pot depending on how hard you squeeze. I got a sinus infection once. It sucked. So I keep it cleaned out when I have a head cold. Sometimes it makes a runny nose worse because stuff just wants to keep coming out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinus-Rinse-Kit-PT01.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	1197750
    This is why I pour boiling water into mine. Hopefully, if there is anything alive in there, it gets killed off by the scalding hot water.

Death from Below.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    People would be more apt to use these if they were called Nasal Douche or even Nasal Enema.

#goldmine
    Last edited by dirtvert; 05-12-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Most bottled water is just tap water so I would always boil it.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

since 4/10/2009
    Most tree pollen allergies are from oaks, not pines. Pine pollen grains are pretty big and don't make it very far into your repiratory system. Oak pollen grains are smaller and get deeper.

Me, a steamy shower alone works great to break up my crud.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinus-Rinse-Kit-PT01.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	1197750

Replace bottle every 3 months.... of course. Revenue model.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Most bottled water is just tap water so I would always boil it.
    Sparkling water?
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Most tree pollen allergies are from oaks, not pines. Pine pollen grains are pretty big and don't make it very far into your repiratory system. Oak pollen grains are smaller and get deeper.

Steamy definitely helps. Tree allergies though is no biggie. It's this grass pollen that's going off right now.

"Neti Pot" has the worst name ever... agreed.
    IPA will save America

hopeless moron
    Sht works totally freaking amazing. Back in December I had a sinus crap thing that wouldnt budge. I broke down and used the Neti Pot. Awesome-ass video with bedhead. Enjoy. May your snot streams cascade in endless waterfalls from your noseholes.

Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 05-14-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, its called sarcasm; youre soaking in it!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I use one from time to time, but I'd really like to get the one from water pick. I've used one once when I had a sinus infection and I think I had a sinusgasm.
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

mtbr member
    Sparkling water?
    Of course. I recommend using only Perrier.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I use one from time to time, but I'd really like to get the one from water pick. I've used one once when I had a sinus infection and I think I had a sinusgasm.
    Water pik? Sounds dangerous. Neti pot is all about the flow.
    IPA will save America

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

For me is acacia and juniper. Ugh.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtb addict

OT: netipot

I use a sinus rinse occasionally. I recommend them to all my patients, as they are proven more effective than any cold or allergy remedy there is, risk/benefit wise. I use tap water without boiling all the time. In order to get an infection you must (a) have bad tap water (b) have an injury to the mucosa in your nasopharynx AND (c) have a poor immune response. Highly unlikely any of that is going to happen, much less all three.

But my professional recommendation: use distilled or boiled water every time. 🤨

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinBiker View Post
    I use a sinus rinse occasionally. I recommend them to all my patients, as they are proven more effective than any cold or allergy remedy there is, risk/benefit wise. I use tap water without boiling all the time. In order to get an infection you must (a) have bad tap water (b) have an injury to the mucosa in your nasopharynx AND (c) have a poor immune response. Highly unlikely any of that is going to happen, much less all three.

But my professional recommendation: use distilled or boiled water every time. 🤨

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dialed knowledge. Thank you!!!
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Dialed knowledge. Thank you!!!
    My wife is an MD. Will ask her opinion.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I use it. It helps.
    Clean feeling, like after a bidet.

mtbr member
    NeilMed for me too. There are some home remedies using an herble base ive used too. Boil, cool to a warm temp, pour into bottle. Squeeze gently and enjoy the douching snot and boogers flow. You might have a lip hanger, be proud of those, you earned it.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Water pik? Sounds dangerous. Neti pot is all about the flow.
    Yeah... I'm talking out my ass.

Seriously, There's an attachment for the WaterPik which renders the Neilmed, the Netipot and all others irrelevant. It's like a tiny, low pressure shower head attachment for the standard Waterpik.

You mix up (or buy) a saline solution with distilled water, fill the reservoir, place the nasal attachment in one nostril and turn on the pump while gently blowing out the other nostril. Use it once and you'll never use those other products again.
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i used one daily until my cat batted the pot off the counter.

this was after i bought that huge box of packets. i literally have a fishbowl full of the stuff.

i couldn't call it one way or the other if it worked or not. now? better living thru chemistry. one squirt of fluconase every three days or so, clear as a bell.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    +1 on the squeeze bottle vs. neti pot. Much better flow... more flow is mo' betta!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you truly want to burn everything down, my wife uses a 1:3 Alkalol/water rinse sometimes.

Apparently Alkalol is a mix of essential oils (eucalyptus, etc). Im a pansy and 1:5 was way too much the one time I used it.

Only time Ive ever been that clear was after going through the CS gas chamber.

-I would suggest anyone using anything other than just the salt-solution to fully-know your allergies. You mentioned Eucalyptus and i'm allergic to the stuff.

Always wise to know before medicating/treating and that goes for everybody...
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

L1MEY
    I use the squeeze bottle too... I put filtered water from the fridge dispenser in mine then microwave it. Used it for years like that with no problems. I just use the standard Neilmed saline packets... tried the ones from Walgreens and they stung my nose.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone do it? I am tempted again to do the flush.
    Used one for a long time.. came to the conclusion that it's pretty ineffective if not totally.

I still use one occasionally after weed wacking the yard.. but not sure is makes me feel any different?

Track Junkie
    My wife and I both use the NeliMed squeeze bottle over the neti pot every morning, in addition to Fluconase. We both see an allergist MD every other month who recommends this procedure.

Allergist MD has gone as far as to medically recommend we keep our house sealed during these months, which gets us a medical discount on our PG&E.

I'm susceptible to severe sinus infections, especially during the "high-allergy" season. Doing a regular nasal irrigation plus some medicines help prevent it, and shortens duration if/when I get one. And *IF* you do get a sinus infection and are using a pressurized rinse - OMG the stuff that comes out! I thought I was rinsing my brain away watching some of the "blockage" get rinsed from my nose!

Our experience is to only use distilled water or water that is tested below 10ppm Total Dissolved Solids (TDS). TDS testers can be bought cheaply online. Any higher and you might compound the issues by introducing more particulate than you're removing. This was pointed out to us by the MD when our issues got worse when first using the rinse.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I use the neilmed as well, used to get around 3 sinus infections a year when I was chained to a germ infected office. Started the neti and rarely got more than 1. Used to use it daily then once I got out of the office I didn't feel I needed it as much. Still try to use it a few times a week especially after traveling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane View Post
    My wife and I both use the NeliMed squeeze bottle over the neti pot every morning, in addition to Fluconase. We both see an allergist MD every other month who recommends this procedure.

Allergist MD has gone as far as to medically recommend we keep our house sealed during these months, which gets us a medical discount on our PG&E.

I'm susceptible to severe sinus infections, especially during the "high-allergy" season. Doing a regular nasal irrigation plus some medicines help prevent it, and shortens duration if/when I get one. And *IF* you do get a sinus infection and are using a pressurized rinse - OMG the stuff that comes out! I thought I was rinsing my brain away watching some of the "blockage" get rinsed from my nose!

Our experience is to only use distilled water or water that is tested below 10ppm Total Dissolved Solids (TDS). TDS testers can be bought cheaply online. Any higher and you might compound the issues by introducing more particulate than you're removing. This was pointed out to us by the MD when our issues got worse when first using the rinse.
    Wow crazy,

Not to side track but have you and your wife experimented with any alternative diets to combat the extreme allergies? I was just curious because sounds like you guys would be good candidates to try an anti inflammatory diet plus a massive probiotic campaign. Might help? I know there is a lot of research into gut health in relation to allergies.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Yeah... I'm talking out my ass.

Seriously, There's an attachment for the WaterPik which renders the Neilmed, the Netipot and all others irrelevant. It's like a tiny, low pressure shower head attachment for the standard Waterpik.

You mix up (or buy) a saline solution with distilled water, fill the reservoir, place the nasal attachment in one nostril and turn on the pump while gently blowing out the other nostril. Use it once and you'll never use those other products again.

I like it.

Thanks for all the intel guys. I know many are not aware this technique exists with products made for it so it is good to make everyone aware.

fc
    IPA will save America