mtbr member

New question here. OT: Ideas to nix my 1-a-day cigarette smoking habit.

Any new ideas.

Honestly I get completely frustrated at work and that is when I break down. I am fine otherwise in my life, its only M-F when the burning demon calls.

I:
    Chew Gum
    Drink calming tea
    swear at inanimate objects
    bite my fingernails
    chew sunflower seeds
    I have a jar of lollipops at home I am bringing in tomorrow
    drink lots of water
    post on mtbr

What am I missing besides an utter lack of will power?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    drink grapefruit juice before your cigarette...

trust me...
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    doesn't that make the smoke taste like metal? I'll try that next time

dang, just checked the work break room fridge, no GF juice. will have to buy some tonight on the way home.

default title
    Mar 2008
    It took me three years to like sunflower seeds again after quitting smoking. Nicotine gum made me nauseous and sedated, a horrible combo that kept me at my desk. It worked, but it wasn't pretty.
    I think if it was easy to quit, more people would do it.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

Save Jesus
    I found out that putting the wrong end of the cigarette in your mouth and chewing until little bits of tobacco come out has kept me smoke free for 30 years.

ride natty, ride
    nicotine gum worked for me, and so happy it did! I hated the gum too, gave me hiccups and felt like it was bad for my teeth, so I was happy to give up the gum.

Paper or plastic?
    Either try going up to 2 cigs a day or stop buying cigarettes.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

A way

When I finally got away from that nasty habit years ago, it was a mental self-image change that made the real difference. It wasn’t so much about something I did or didn't do, as much as changing who I was – how I saw myself (and wanted to be seen). I chose to be a non-smoker rather than a “smoker” (i.e. being someone who craves/loves/enjoys inhaling burning ground up leaves rolled in paper vs. someone who doesn’t give cigarettes a thought.
    Might not sound significant, but I “quit” many many times before I got there permanently by changing myself into a “non-smoker”. BTW - it was part of a program called Smoke-Enders.

As an example of the thought process, a “non-smoker” would find it absurd to smoke a single stinky cigarette, wouldn’t he or she? Ask the next non-smoking person you meet if they'd like to smoke one.
    So, good luck with it! Fortunately, at 1/day you’ll not have the nasty physical nicotine withdrawals many people suffer through for several weeks.

(slight return)
    I think it takes a lot more self control to smoke one cigarette a day than to quit altogether. I went cold turkey 18 years and 44 days ago. Never look back.

-slide

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    I hate smoking and yet Iike smoking and I’ve “quit” many times. What kinda works for me is every time I’m on the bike and it’s painful, I think about smoking and the pain its causing me. If I know I have a big ride coming up or days that I commute to work, I don’t even think about smoking or going to places that get me tempted. So affiliate the pain you experience on the bike with lighting up and see if that helps?

I’ll go through long periods without smoking and feel great but when I go camping or see an old friend with the habit, the little devil comes out. I HATE IT!I fight and I lose. SUCKS! Hang in there, hopefully we’ll completely quit before it’s too late...

Recreational Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzkil View Post
    Any new ideas.

Honestly I get completely frustrated at work and that is when I break down. I am fine otherwise in my life, its only M-F when the burning demon calls.

What am I missing besides an utter lack of will power?
    Change to a less stressful job. No job is worth your health over the long term.

aka baycat
    Hypnosis or an electronic cigarettes. I cannot vouch for how well they work since I do not smoke but see them on TV.

mtbr member
    My aunt put a cigarette butt in a film canister with little bit of water. Kept it with her all the time. When she had the urge to smoke she'd open up the canister and take a big whiff. Killed her urge to light up.

NorCal state of mind
    I had a friend that used to pull out a yo-yo every time he got the urge. You might want to try to kill the urge with a walk around the block, some yoga or some other form of quick exercise.

I think electronic cigs are to cigarettes smokers as vaporizers are to cannabis smokers (or at least somewhat). In other words, it's not going to help you quit but it may make your habit slightly less unhealthy.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How about this

I used to smoke anywhere between 1-10 cigs a day, one day just said f it and quit, haven'e smoked one since, been about 8 months, and I smoked for about ~6.5 years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Or brush your teeth before you smoke, that made my cigarettes taste really bad whenever I did that.

bike buster
    A friend of mine had an extremely hard time giving up cigarettes. He wound up getting hypnotized and claims he has not picked up, or been interested in, a cigarette since.

Other than that, how's the job market in your industry?

PRETENDURO
    I smoked for more than 20 years. I tried many times to quit. The best solution seemed to be using the patch—what I did was get the highest strength ones and cut them into smaller pieces (more cost effective). But I eventually started up again. At some point I just became bored with it as well as disgusted by it. I think early 2007 was the last time I smoked a cigarette, and ever since the smell seems to disgust me (right up there with the smell of fabric softener, which of course, is made from chemicals known to cause skin irritations and respiratory problems).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I second the patch! Buy it, slap it on, and forget about it. Good luck

mtbr member
    Plus the patch will give you some killer diller dreams.

What worked for me was a visit to my friend going through Chemo Therapy. That was a shocker. Been 11 years now, cold turkey.

mtbr member
    I have one dip a day and I'm right there with you. I feel like it's not THAT bad but, of course, if it was really no big deal I'd quit it and that hasn't worked out yet.

I have been tooling around the online communities and if I can get myself to really want to quit I might go that route. I bet there are some good online forum's for quitting smoking. If you are an office guy, and it sounds like you are, that might be a good option. Reading a few posts from others when you get the urge or being able to whack up a quick post could be really helpful.

I just did a quick search and found quitsmokingmessageboard.com
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    thanks for the replies, a lot of good info and experience here.

Devil Mtn Expeditions

What worked for me...

Finally got so frustrated that I bought a pack and smoked every cigarette back to back - haven't smoked since.

I also got a great ab workout as a result of all the vomiting.