Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

OT:Hunting Ranch Killed Mtn Lions so wouldn't eat their deer...ridiculous!

I honestly am not shocked...more disgusted then anything else. I just will never understand how people think that it is okay to kill things just for the sake of killing.

And who the hell pays 20k to kill an elk? You gotta be kidding me.

Tejon Ranch to pay fine for killing mountain lions - latimes.com
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "And who the hell pays 20k to kill an elk? You gotta be kidding me."

A wealthy idiot that's too lazy to do the scouting and real work necessary to be successful. Many of these same idiots don't even take the meat, which is the real reason we hunt in the first place - you know, get back some sort of real connection to where your food comes from.

Losers. I know some of these ranches survive only because of hunting dollars since there is so little money in real ranching, and I know a lot of them do a great job of habitat management and restoration, but god, I wish the ones like this would go away. Better a hunting ranch than a subdivision though.

mtbr member
    I should clarify...i have no problem with hunting when people are eating what they kill. Or even to manage populations, disease, pests, etc. But this is just pure greed and laziness...and the cats are the ones who suffered because of it.

I just am not a fan of people who say "I want to kill a bear". When I ask why they usually don't have an answer. When I ask do they really think it is hunting when they are using a high-powered rifle from a long way off? Or when the bear is hiding in a tree? Again there is not much of an answer.

This reminds me of a hunting show I saw on TV...where the guy with a mustache from the show Simon&Simon went on a hunt in Africa for a leopard. They tied a piece of meat up and hid in a shack. When the leopard came along and was eating the meat they shot it from far away with it never knowing it was there. Worst part was that after they killed it they walked up and looked at it and said "what a beautiful animal". I kept thinking...IT WAS until you idiots killed it!

Anyway rant over...hopefully the fine will change their practice and the practice of others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie View Post
    ...hopefully the fine will change their practice and the practice of others.
    Not likely..... with clients paying $20k to shoot an elk, $50k to shoot a bighorn sheep, I'm sure there's some A-hole with too much money willing to shoot a mountain lion

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What kind of knife did they use to kill the mountain lion?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by highrevkev View Post
    Not likely..... with clients paying $20k to shoot an elk, $50k to shoot a bighorn sheep, I'm sure there's some A-hole with too much money willing to shoot a mountain lion
    agreed 1000%.

That's page 36 of their catalog on schitt to kill.

$136k fine? Pfft. Shut em down.

fc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My buddy who bow hunts told me you can actually pay to setup killing a record size buck and wind up in a publication called Boone and Crockett as a record holder.

Hutch is my Hero
    Oct 2005
    Tejon Ranch is huge. I say it is time to build trails there and save the mountain lions.

mtbr member
    makes me sick

mtbr member
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    they should be protected against this sort of thing imo...

edited--i think the mtn lions should be protected from this sort of killing. i'm fine with hunting as long as the populations are managed to ensure that the impacted species are thriving. similar to what the bird hunters do in the central valley....the enviros and hunters are actually working very closely together since they are aligned to want the populations to increase and thrive...and the hunters have all the $$...
    Last edited by cohenfive; 02-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Paper or plastic?
    Well, it seems to me that the price paid by the hunters to kill their prey also incentivizes the ranch to manage the population so that they flourish. I don't really see that as a bad thing. As for the mountain lions killings, it's obviously appalling.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Hope y'all complaining about meat raised for sale are vegetarians. Just sayin.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I should clarify...i have no problem with hunting when people are eating what they kill. Or even to manage populations, disease, pests, etc. But this is just pure greed and laziness...and the cats are the ones who suffered because of it.

I just am not a fan of people who say "I want to kill a bear". When I ask why they usually don't have an answer. When I ask do they really think it is hunting when they are using a high-powered rifle from a long way off? Or when the bear is hiding in a tree? Again there is not much of an answer.

This reminds me of a hunting show I saw on TV...where the guy with a mustache from the show Simon&Simon went on a hunt in Africa for a leopard. They tied a piece of meat up and hid in a shack. When the leopard came along and was eating the meat they shot it from far away with it never knowing it was there. Worst part was that after they killed it they walked up and looked at it and said "what a beautiful animal". I kept thinking...IT WAS until you idiots killed it!

Anyway rant over...hopefully the fine will change their practice and the practice of others.
    Yeah, in Texas where my parent's live it's totally out of control. They make deer-hoppers that feed the deer at specific times to "train" them to come around at a certain time (to be shot). It's ridiculous how "serious" they take it and how much damn camo there is. If you've ever been to this part of Texas, you may know that the deer population is huge, and maybe it does need some resonable controlling, but it would be just about as sporting to dig a frickin hole in the ground and just wait till one falls in. I remember when I was a kid I shot a wild turkey in the neck with a pellet rifle and we ate it. From that point on I was simply not interested in hunting, there's just no real challenge in it, except "waiting", but what a horrible way to spend your time if that's what it is. People have semi auto shotguns, camo-everything, turkey calls, and all sorts of stupid devices, and I "took one" with a frickin pellet rifle. Hunting probably serves some animal instincts, but by all accounts, I think it's pretty boring. This from someone who likes to shoot firearms and was in the Army.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Hope y'all complaining about meat raised for sale are vegetarians. Just sayin.

I wonder how Elk tastes
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    I wonder how Elk tastes
    While hiking the PCT in 2003, a buddy tossed me some dried, ground elk, which I promptly mixed in with my Mac N Cheese. Tasted better without it.

-D

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    What the Tejon Ranch did is not unique. Hundreds of ranchers do the same thing every year throughout California and the western U.S.

The error was getting caught. Most ranchers are smart enough to Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    ...And who the hell pays 20k to kill an elk? You gotta be kidding me.

Tejon Ranch to pay fine for killing mountain lions - latimes.com
    The same kind of person who spends thousands of dollars flying all over the world to ride a mountain bike trail.

If it is your passion and you can afford it, then go for it.

aka baycat
    Wait until the wolves start coming back and stealing babies. Or was that dingos.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G. View Post
    Wait until the wolves start coming back and stealing babies. Or was that dingos.
    I thought that was obama, or was it republicans?

I always get those two confused...

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    Tejon Ranch is huge. I say it is time to build trails there and save the mountain lions.

They are in fact re-routing the Pacific Crest Trail thru Tejon Ranch, not that it helps us MTBers at all. Maybe they will give the us MTBers the sloppy seconds of the discarded PCT.

$136,500 fine to the Tejon Ranch is nothing.

Dean

Weird huh?
    aww hell. Now I gotta find a dingo knife...
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

mtbr member

Dingo Knife it is!

Amazon.com: Tops Knives Desert Dingo Knife Model DTDO-01: Sports & Outdoors

Tried to post just the image but I could not figure it out.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Hates me some leopards. Hey back up, thars nuther wun
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Menace
    Elk is great, just sayin.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast