mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OT: A Few Eagle and Sand Hill Crane Pix....

saturday i traveled up to the camanche reservoir in the central valley, part of the ebmud water system. several bald eagles have taken up permanent residence at camanche which makes it one of the few places in california where bald eagles are permanent residents. the day was grey and high contrast so the images aren't that great, but i thought i would share a few regardless. after cruising the reservoir for a few hours on our hosted boat tour we went to see the sand hill cranes 'fly in' at dusk in lodi. these are always very difficult images as there is almost no light while trying to take bird in flight images, but it is a very cool sight to see imo. enjoy!

immature bald eagle

this must be mom or dad

cormorant taking flight

this is the shot that 'could have been'...two bald eagles fighting in mid-air, but we were very, very far away so this was all i could do even heavily cropped

sunset in lodi

sand hill cranes

another shot of the cranes

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Very Nice! What camera were you shooting with?

mtbr member
    Great shots of the eagles. Living in Lodi we see cranes and egrets all over in the winter. Often you will see them walking around in flooded parks and school yards. Too bad EBMUD controls the land, otherwise there would be miles of great biking around Comanche and Pardee reservoirs.

Like a boss.
    Beautiful pictures!! My advisor at Cal worked on Camanche Reservoir for a long time, but I've never been there. I'll have to get up there someday. Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    Great Pics. Cross riding out by the Dumbarton by the bay is also great for photos of Golden Eagles and other birds. Passed by one on a fence at the edge of the bay (didnt really see it until it was too late, but when I passed on the fence post the thing was thick).

was there a planned rec route following the moke up through salt springs? I have seen partial references. Anybody else know about that route. I think it was equestrian related. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks gang. i really enjoy seeing these animals and then sharing what i can of the experience.

dw, it is amazing that you see golden eagles. they are very rare in northern california and i have only seen them once, in the sunol wilderness area.

camanche is beautiful and i also wish it was managed by someone who was bike friendly. there are no big hills right near the reservoir but i can imagine some really great riding around the circumference of the lake. they have some trails but only for hiking and of course our equestrian friends.

rdi--i was using my nikon d4 with 500mm lens for all of these shots. the lighting was terrible and the guy driving the boat didn't really care about getting all that close but i did the best i could under the conditions that i had. the sand hill crane shots were taken in lodi when it was getting dark. i was really pushing the limits of the gear to get half way decent in flight pictures of the cranes. the iso was cranked way, way up for these. current camera gear is pretty amazing in low light conditions.

Like a boss.
    [QUOTE=cohenfive;10117858dw, it is amazing that you see golden eagles. they are very rare in northern california and i have only seen them once, in the sunol wilderness area.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd call them rare, maybe more "uncommon"? They can be found in lots of grassland habitats in the Bay Area. I've personally seen them in Marin, Sonoma, and Alameda counties, and have colleagues that have seen them in Solano and Contra Costa counties. There's a pair that nests (or at least used to) in a drainage back behind the Dublin Ranch housing development in Dublin. Nonetheless, it's always a treat to see them.

The Jenner Headlands property that the Sonoma Land Trust purchased a few years ago is turning out to be quite the raptor-viewing hotspot, kinda like a northern version of Hawk Hill. Maybe one day when the property is opened to the public, there can be raptor-viewing MTB rides?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i've been to hawk hill for during the count. i didn't care about the count (didn't like the floppy hats that seemed to be a requirement to be part of the counting team!) but i did like watching all the raptors zipping around. i ride up there on my bike, maybe i should bring my big camera with me one time.

i didn't know about the jenner headlands property, but i'm always looking for new spots to find raptors. as for the goldens, maybe it's just the spots where i hang out but i've only seen them the one time. maybe they are scared off by my big lens!

King Of Tooth Tarter

Eagles

I saw a bald eagle at Chesbro Reservoir in 2010. Beautiful bird and I saw it as I was swimming across the lake. I got out on the other side to make sure and it took off. Definitely a bald eagle.

I also saw one while swimming Mississippi Lake in Henry Coe Park. I didn't really expect it at the time so it was a pleasant surprise.

Roy.

Like a boss.
    I once saw a bald eagle while I was riding across the Whiseytown Lake dam as part of the Lemurian race. It flew really close by so there was no mistaking it. I saw my friend at the end of the dam and I stopped, and was like, "holycrapdidyouseethateagleOMGthat'ssocool!!!!" and he was like, "SHUT UP AND KEEP RIDING, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE RACING!"